Garden Vegetable and Bean Soup

by on February 3, 2006

I tend to find a recipe I like and stick with it, so I’ve fallen into a vegetable soup rut lately. I’ve been making the same Bean and Vegetable Soup for a long time–it’s easy and we all like it–but sometimes I have to remind myself that there are other options out there, and some of them might be great.

So when I saw the Weight Watchers Zero Points Garden Vegetable Soup over at Alanna Kellogg’s incredible blog, A Veggie Venture, I thought that this might be the time to expand my horizons and try a new vegetable soup. It didn’t hurt that Alanna had marked it as a favorite recipe and named it as the best soup on her blog for January. Or that it’s filled with fresh veggies and nutrient-rich cabbage. I decided to give it a try, with one little addition: I added a can of cannellini beans to turn this soup into a one-pot meal. I also increased the seasoning slightly because of the increased volume of the beans, but otherwise, this soup is exactly as Alanna posted it.

Garden Vegetable and Bean Soup

Simple though it seems, this soup was wonderful. And–attention parents–it is kid-friendly! When I asked how she liked it, E. was so busy spooning it into her mouth that all she could do was give me a thumbs-up signal. She asked for a second bowl, and she’s got leftovers in her thermos for lunch today.

Even with my addition of beans, Weight Watchers members and people following Eat to Live or the McDougall Program can enjoy this without guilt.

1 ~M December 28, 2009 at 8:29 am

Do you think this would freeze OK? Thanks!

2 SusanV December 28, 2009 at 10:09 am

~M, I think it would freeze just fine. Hope you enjoy it!

3 Dana S October 5, 2010 at 5:30 am

As soon as this was posted, I scanned the ingredients and saw that I was only missing cabbage. So I ran to the store and got a coleslaw mix. I made this last night for dinner and it was super easy and super yummy. My 5 yr old even loved it. We are not vegan, but have to cook dairy and egg free for our DD – so my husband’s comment was – “it is good, but it could use some meat.” hee hee. Next time, I’ll probably add some shredded chicken, but this is definately a keeper! The only changes I made were I used a frozen mirepoix mix (chopped onion, carrot and celery) and chicken broth instead of veg broth. Thanks for posting this – it made a wonderful dinner on a cool evening in October. :)

4 Pat Goodeill October 5, 2010 at 6:45 am

This recipe also follows the “RAVE DIET” by Mike Anderson if you leave out the oil and use vegetable broth or wine to sauté . I’m always looking for new soup and stew recipes, so will definitly try this one. Thank you!

5 Helen Packard October 7, 2010 at 9:16 pm

This was really yummy! I didn’t have any tomato paste on hand, so I added 1/2 cup of my homemade canned tomato sauce – it gave it a nice flavour!

6 Mary Y. November 19, 2010 at 11:55 pm

This was so delicious. We always have these ingredients on hand, so I’ll be making this again. =)

7 Anita April 7, 2011 at 3:41 pm

Can we just use water instead of veg broth. I do not like the amount
of sodium that is used in the broth.

8 SusanV April 7, 2011 at 4:35 pm

That would be fine. You can also use homemade broth or salt-free bouillon.

9 Dianne Eason April 25, 2011 at 1:02 pm

The soup sounds delicious! Right this minute, I’m making a (dried) black bean soup with kale, carrots, summer squash and onion, seasoned with basil (from last summer’s garden), salt and pepper, garlic, tomato paste and a cumin seasoning cube.

I’ll try yours next time. Thanks for sharing!

10 Linda October 22, 2012 at 11:53 am

I feel silly asking this, but is 1 serving a 1-cup serving?

Thanks for such a wonderful web site!

~Linda

11 Susan Voisin October 22, 2012 at 12:51 pm

No, one serving will be 1/8 of the whole amount. The serving size will depend on how much liquid evaporates, but it will probably be more than a cup.

12 Judy Thomopson January 29, 2013 at 12:36 pm

I love your recipies… thanks for sharing!

13 Donna April 11, 2013 at 4:28 pm

Wonder if I could make this with my frozen zukes??

14 Lynn March 27, 2014 at 7:27 pm

This is the best soup ever and I have to make it at least 2X a week or else my husband starts asking for it. In fact, I had some people over tonight for an impromptu dinner and they went on and on about it. I add a few handfuls of elbow macaroni to bulk it up even more. Thanks for a great “go to” and easy meal.

{ 1 trackback }