The Best Vegan Green Bean Casserole

by on November 22, 2006

Vegan Green Bean Casserole

I just had to write a quick post about this recipe because D. and I just had some for lunch and oh my gosh, it is good! Truly, we were scraping the casserole dish clean.

This is adapted and plagiarized from Alanna’s World’s Best Green Bean Casserole, and I have to say, the name fits. I made up a full recipe to bring to Thanksgiving at the in-laws’ tomorrow, but I set aside this small dish to bake today just for us (and to photograph just for you). Though I can’t say that either my husband or I were fans of green bean casserole in general, we’re now fans of this one.

Warning: This is not a fat-free recipe. I’ve veganized it and taken out some of the butter/margarine, but there’s still Earth Balance margarine in the topping and some fat in the soy creamer. And oh, those fried onions! (Which I accidentally used a whole can of, instead of the half can the recipe called for.) What can I say? You could try it completely fat-free, but for a special occasion, this isn’t too huge an amount of fat. And the taste is amazing. No one will know it’s vegan!

And, in case this is my last post before the holidays, happy Thanksgiving to those of you who celebrate it. Thanks to Alanna for the recipe, and thanks to all of you readers for your support this year. Your comments and input make blogging fun!

Vegan Green Bean Casserole

More Holiday Recipes?

If you’re looking for more holiday recipes, don’t forget to check the Thanksgiving and Holiday sections!

1 Masha September 8, 2009 at 9:03 pm

This looks great! I've never liked the overly salty and fatty "classic" casserole, and I much prefer the fresh ingredients. I'm thinking this will be great for Thanksgiving, and topped with home-caramelized onions (it's easy!).

2 Anonymous November 15, 2009 at 9:17 am

I'd like to make this for my carnivorous in-laws with soy allergies. Would rice/almond milk work as well?

3 Julie November 23, 2010 at 2:02 pm

I love to cook with coconut creamer (So Delicious brand). It produces the same results

4 SMc November 20, 2012 at 11:32 am

We made this last night for a vegan T-day potluck.. used almond milk (my hubby didn’t see the soy creamer in the fridge), and it was delish that way. The only other change was that we poured a bit more of the fried onions (Trader Joe’s) on top of the topping the recipe called for… everyone loved it!! Fantastic recipe!!!

5 Karen Havling January 6, 2014 at 5:15 am

I used almond milk when I made this for Christmas lunch this year. My family loved it!

6 SusanV November 15, 2009 at 10:34 am

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work with non-soy milks, but to get the thickness of soy creamer, you may need to add some cornstarch or other thickener.

7 Anonymous November 22, 2009 at 2:48 pm

Did a trial run of this recipe last night to see if it is T-day worthy and wolfed down half of the recipe in the taste test … it's a winner!

8 Kelsey November 25, 2009 at 2:48 pm

This looks great! I was just wondering how essential the sherry is to this recipe. Is there any way I could do without it? Thanks!

-Kelsey

9 SusanV November 25, 2009 at 3:04 pm

Kelsey, the sherry just adds a touch of flavor. Feel free to leave it out. Hope you enjoy!

10 girlalee November 25, 2009 at 5:59 pm

How thick is the mushroom sauce supposed to be? I cooked mine forever and it still didn't seem thick, so I added corn starch, and it is still not very thick.

Best,
Annalee

11 SusanV November 25, 2009 at 6:49 pm

Annalee, mine thickened soon after it reached a boil, so I don't know what the problem could have been. It sounds like you did exactly what I would have done, though, add corn starch. Maybe my flour was just more starchy than yours!

Have you baked it yet? There's a chance it will thicken as it bakes.

12 Anonymous November 26, 2009 at 10:14 pm

THIS IS REALLY A FANTASTIC BEAN CASSEROLE. The meat eaters will never know what hit them.

13 Jenna November 27, 2009 at 12:47 am

this was SO GOOD!!! even my grandparents said it was better than the "other" green bean casserole. I already can't wait to make it again!

14 QuaneE November 27, 2009 at 10:50 am

Just wanted to say that I've been using this recipe for about 3 years and absolutely love it! Thanks so much. My husband calls it my green bean casserole, but I know who deserves the real credit ;) Thanks again.

15 Samanpka November 27, 2009 at 4:42 pm

I made this yesterday for a Thanksgiving potluck, and it seems that it was popular because every last bit of it was eaten up. The soy creamer really helped it hold up, and gave it a nice bright color. I followed the recipe exactly (with frozen green beans) except I could not find fried onions, so I bought a bag of fake onion rings (basically just onion flavored snacks), crushed them, and used them instead. It was okay, but I wish I could have tried using the real things.

I enjoyed the casserole so much that I decided to make another tonight (no Thanksgiving leftovers here), except for lack of green beans I just threw in all the frozen vegetables I had – broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts – and some cooked brown rice. I also used regular soy milk instead of the creamer, and added some arrowroot powder to thicken it some more. In the end it was a completely different dish, as this time I added half a chopped onion with the bread into the food processor for the topping. I'm eating it now and it's pretty tasty. Although it is nothing like the original green been casserole, I'm just posting these adjustments so that anyone lacking the proper ingredients can see what you can do with the basic recipe.

Thanks for another great recipe!

16 RunCrissieRun November 27, 2009 at 8:44 pm

This was simply amazing. It was easy to make (I used some homemade soy milk), and had a nice bite to it. Even my non-Vegan husband thought it was great. Thanks for yet another amazing dish!

17 austin personal injury lawyer December 1, 2009 at 1:34 pm

That really does look like the best green bean casserole… EVER. I'm making this for Christmas dinner. This one looks so fresh.

18 Jordan December 1, 2009 at 8:03 pm

Since someone asked a while ago, I just wanted to say that I made this with unsweetened plain almond milk this Thanksgiving and it was GREAT. Definitely the highlight of the meal, at least for me! My omni family were still raving about the turkey =(

19 Gelareh @ Orange Truffle December 2, 2009 at 10:45 am

Is it sad taht I am already thinking about my Christmas dinner menue? The green bean casserol sounds wonderful. I am going to add it to my list of dishes for Christmas and start thinking about making it gluten free and vegan. :)

20 Tiana December 5, 2009 at 2:56 pm

I cannot even emphasize how delicious this casserole is. I was so impressed and would say that this is the best green bean casserole I've ever tried! I didn't have sherry so I just omitted it and it was still as good.

21 Tammy December 5, 2009 at 7:34 pm

I'm so excited to make this for Christmas dinner. I'll post it on my new blog after Christmas. Thanks! Tammy http://www.veganfamilyadventures.com

22 Kara Kehoe December 7, 2009 at 1:46 pm

I made this for Thanksgiving with my omnivore family — now they're all requesting it again for Christmas dinner AND asking for the recipe to share with their friends! Thank you for an awesome recipe :)

23 kimmykokonut December 8, 2009 at 12:12 pm

I made this for the second Thanksgiving in a row. Big hit! I used sourdough bread in the topping and chanterelles instead of button mushrooms and soy creamer. My test batch I used what was on hand and I don't recommend using hazelnut coconut milk creamer in this recipe! My husband said it tasted like sunblock! Thanks for such a solid recipe that onmi's love.

24 Nicole December 16, 2009 at 2:09 am

thanks so much for posting! green bean casserole has always been my holiday weakness and i've been looking for a vegan version for a while. can't wait to try this one for christmas.

i would like to ask, though–do you think omitting the sherry would be too detrimental to the dish as a whole? i haven't had it before so i don't know what it may add in terms of flavor, but i try to cook without any booze (don't ask!). or perhaps you can think of a similar flavor substitution??

thanks!

25 Colin December 24, 2013 at 1:50 pm

Nicole,

You could try using a tablespoon of tamari/soy sauce/liquid aminos instead.

26 SusanV December 16, 2009 at 8:58 am

Nichole, the sherry is completely optional. It just adds a little extra depth to the flavor that you will never know is missing.

27 Anonymous December 22, 2009 at 6:11 pm

Thank you so much for sharing this recipe. I'd never made green bean casserole before, but with your recipe it was easy, and tasty! It tastes sooo goood!! Thanks for inspiring me to cook something different! :)
–Cher

28 Anonymous December 26, 2009 at 3:01 pm

Susan, I've been lurking and trying your recipes and singing your praises for a few months now, since my DD found your site while looking for a dinner recipe. I made this for Christmas dinner last night and everyone who tried it liked it. The kids went "ooh, yuch, green vegetables" and my mother went "ooh, yuch, mushrooms", but I expected that. I found it a bit bland, maybe I should have added the salt and pepper in the sauce!

I've been eating vegan for 11 months now, after reading Dr. Neal Barnard's book about reversing diabetes. It's working for me.

Keep up the good work.

Karen G

29 Lea December 28, 2009 at 1:56 pm

This was DELICIOUS! I am going to try "vegan weeks" all next year, to see if I can go vegan full-time. I look forward to reading through your blog and trying all the fun recipes!

30 Tammy January 18, 2010 at 6:29 pm

I made this as part of our Christmas dinner and loved it! I linked to it on my blog. Thanks!

31 Nivi July 21, 2010 at 6:23 pm

Dear Susan,
I cannot wait to try this recipe! Could you please post nutrition facts on this recipe?
Thanks in advance!

32 Gabrielle August 5, 2010 at 10:07 pm

This looks absolutely amazing. I’m going to make this for dinner tomorrow night, what do you think is the approximate calorie count is for one seriving?

33 Rara September 20, 2010 at 8:00 pm

Mmmmm!! I’m in love with this recipe. It’s THE best green bean casserole e-v-e-r. Thanks so much for adapting it Susan!

34 Kristina September 27, 2010 at 4:42 pm

I made this recipe for a non-veg potluck – people loved it! The addition of shiitake mushrooms was brilliant. I also threw in some portobello mushroom pieces. I used sourdough bread instead of whole wheat, and Knorr vegetable broth, which is not really fat-free. It came out so delicious that I had to make an extra batch just for myself the next morning.

The best part is that now I have an excellent recipe for vegan cream of mushroom soup. :)

35 Jennifer October 18, 2010 at 3:57 pm

Had this home style green bean casserole along with your Mushroom, Lentil, and Wild Rice Timbales and some vegan mashed potatoes and let me tell you…delicious! The casserole turned out beautifully and reminded me so much of my pre-vegan days where I made green bean casserole from cream of mushroom soup for every holiday…and have missed it so much!! My husband who is non-vegan and who, for the life of me I will never understand why, dislikes the texture of mushrooms…BUT I made these two mushroom saturated dishes together anyways figuring I could blend them well enough and all would be well, and it worked! Your recipes are incredible and I’m so excited to find a site (finally!!) where I can get incredibly delicious and HEALTHY recipes. Can’t wait to have leftovers for lunch and find a new recipe to try tomorrow for dinner.

Oh yeah – Great dish!

36 Sunny October 25, 2010 at 12:25 pm

Pretty awesome that I found this right before the holidays! I am so excited to be making an entirely vegan Thanksgiving dinner this year– and I won’t be alone! Pretty amazing what kinds of stuff they are coming out with now.. Yippee.
-Sonny

37 Ashley Craft (Taste for Healthy) November 4, 2010 at 1:40 pm

This looks so delicious!! I am definitely making this for Thanksgiving this year!

P.S. I’ve been really enjoying your blog! :)

38 Cathy November 6, 2010 at 10:55 am

Hi Susan’

I was wondering how many people this dish serves and what size casserole dish is recommended.

I plan to make this for 12 people this Thanksgiving. Thanks so much!

39 SusanV November 6, 2010 at 11:06 am

I would probably double it for 12 people. It will fill about an 8×8-inch casserole as written, but that probably won’t be enough for 12. Be sure to add extra time if you double it.

40 Vegan Digest November 11, 2010 at 5:31 pm

We love this recipe at Vegan Digest! So perfect for the holidays that we selected it as our Vegan Recipe of the Day for Nov 10th. http://www.VeganDigest.com

41 Sara November 12, 2010 at 8:23 am

This is my first vegan Thanksgiving. I love green bean casserole and can’t wait to try this one. Would it work with canned or frozen french cut green beans, as that is what the tradition is at my house.

Sara

42 SusanV November 12, 2010 at 8:28 am

I think the frozen beans should work okay. Hope you enjoy!

43 Jodi November 18, 2010 at 11:31 am

Hi Susan!

I was wondering if this would work if I blended the mushrooms into the sauce. My kids hate the texture of mushrooms and I’m not too fond of them either. My mom made them a stroganoff dish and blended it to hide the mushrooms and they loved it, so I’m thinking this might work. What do you think?

44 SusanV November 18, 2010 at 11:34 am

I think that would be fine. Please let me know how it comes out!

45 Megan November 22, 2010 at 3:48 pm

This looks great! For anyone that is gluten free this season as well, just replace the flour in the mushroom sauce with 1 TBS GF cornstarch, and for the topping sprinkle on toasted thin sliced almonds or toasted gluten free bread crumbles. I’ve even seen some recipes around for gluten free onion rings you make in the dehydrator- They would be WONDERFUL as well!! Your recipe makes it very easy to alter to GF. Thank you so much!

46 sepeters November 20, 2012 at 5:30 pm

Just the tip I was looking for! Thank you so much! And I like the idea of toasted almonds better than GF bread crumbs.

47 April November 24, 2010 at 12:04 am

I want to make this for Thanksgiving but I need to double it… what size casserole dish should I use? Love your recipes! Thanks!
April

48 SusanV November 24, 2010 at 12:17 am

I think you could fit it into a 9×13 pan if you double it. If you don’t have that size, look for one that holds at least 3 quarts. You can check the size by putting the uncooked green beans into it and seeing if there is enough room to allow for the mushrooms, sauce, and topping.

49 April November 24, 2010 at 12:24 am

That’s what I was thinking, thanks for the response!! I’m looking forward to your Christmas menu recipes… I’m doing a vegan xmas dinner at my house for my hardcore meat eating in-laws from Indiana and I can’t wait to see the looks on their faces when I tell them they just had a completely VEGAN meal!!! :-)

50 SusanV November 24, 2010 at 12:27 am

I would love to hear how they react! Happy Thanksgiving!

51 Mandee November 24, 2010 at 2:13 am

I made this last night and just blogged about it for VeganMoFo! This is a great recipe and I believe that it is indeed the BEST vegan green bean casserole even though I have never tried another version. Thanks for the recipe, Susan! :)

52 Kelly November 24, 2010 at 6:30 pm

I was getting ready to go to the store today to buy things for my portion of the thanksgiving meal and needed a recipe for green bean casserole, and immediately came on here to see if you had something I could make….and this is absolutely delicious. It will sit happily next to the double layer pumpkin cheesecake- which I have been making for the past three years!

53 Gina November 26, 2010 at 3:07 am

I just tried this recipe for Thanksgiving. My husband is vegan and I’m vegetarian, so I wanted to prepare food that we can both enjoy. This recipe was absolutely delicious. The sherry was a wonderful addition … I also think the same amount of white wine might work well too. Thanks so much for this recipe!

54 Lindsay@Another Almost Vegan Blog November 26, 2010 at 3:50 pm

A winner once again!! Words do not express my love for this recipe. Sometimes I make it just because green beans are in season. And hilarious!! This morning, my husband (who is sick and also lactose intolerant) said to me, “I probably should stay way from the leftover casseroles since they have so much dairy.” And I’m all “Uh, they’re vegan.” LOL! I love it when he can’t even tell.

55 SusanV November 26, 2010 at 4:37 pm

Love it! I wish I had made the casserole this year, but I’m in the midst of a lot of chaotic house renovations and was keeping it simple. My daughter said she really missed it–a first for a vegetable dish. I may wind up making it next week when the house is back to normal (I hope!)

56 Carla November 26, 2010 at 11:04 pm

hey Susan! I have been following your blog for some time now, but not sure I have ever commented on anything…. :(
just wanted to let you know that I made this WONDERFUL green bean dish for my non-vegan dad (who is from the south) on Thanksgiving. He went on and on about how good it was (the sherry? the cayenne pepper? I don’t know what “made” this dish so great)…he also told me about four times that the last time he had this was years ago at so-and-so’s house.
Thanks so much – - it was fast and easy and I don’t think that he even knows that it was vegan!!!

57 Kelly November 27, 2010 at 12:35 am

Delicious!!! I made this for myself and my husband (vegan) and some non vegans. Raving reviews from both!! My husband has even loved eating the leftovers! We havent been vegan very long and your site really has helped a lot. Thank you so much!!!!

58 Karen November 27, 2010 at 6:26 pm

So delicious! It’s so good, there weren’t enough left overs after Thanksgiving, so I have another batch in the oven right now to go with the food that did make it to leftovers!

59 Nita Ruggiero November 30, 2010 at 9:53 am

I made my first fully vegan Thanksgiving dinner this year – this was one of the recipes I used and I have to tell you that this was WONDERFUL! We loved it! Thanks Susan!

60 Sara December 13, 2010 at 10:53 pm

Hi!
I’m wondering if there’s any tips for preparing ahead of time. We have a tight and busy Christmas schedule, could I make this two nights before and freeze it, and then back it that day?!

All advice DEFINITELY appreciated!

61 SusanV December 13, 2010 at 10:58 pm

Sara, I definitely wouldn’t freeze it, but you could make it two or even three days ahead of time, and it will keep unbaked just fine in the refrigerator. I keep the topping separate and then add it just before baking.

62 Sara December 13, 2010 at 11:11 pm

Thank you so much for your reply!! I wasn’t expecting to get an answer, this is so very helpful!

63 Alexis March 4, 2011 at 10:10 am

While I am a frequent visitor of vegan blogs, I always try recipes yet forget to give a review on the blog that I got the recipe from. So needless to say, this is my first review of a recipe that I have tried and fallen in love with. My boyfriend and I are both vegan and when we found out that we would be visiting my non-vegan family for Thanksgiving, we knew that we had to plan ahead so that we would have something to eat. I had to do better than last year’s Tofurkey because it seemed to make me stand out even more with its unappetizing appearance. I made vegan cornbread, bought the Quorn turkey roast (Yes, I know it’s not vegan but it was my only exception so that maybe other people might be inclined to try it too! Don’t tell the vegan police!), made your green bean casserole and your pumpkin cheesecake. Oh my gawd. My dad, who is such a sport when it comes to vegan foods, willing to try anything with an open mind, even agreed that this was the best green bean casserole he had ever had in his life. And it truly was. Tasted EXACTLY like the Campbells soup recipe one but way more flavorful with the addition of Shitake mushrooms and Sherry.

I was so pleased with the results. I feel like every family should use this recipe instead of the campbells soup recipe. The only thing i didn’t like was that some of my family friends were hesitant to try it even though it was the exact same thing!!! Once they did try it they were extremely pleased.

In addition the cheesecake was incredible. I am lactose intolerant so i haven’t been able to have cheesecake in a long time (Without taking Lactaid pills before being vegan). This doesn’t mean that I haven’t forgotten what cheesecake tastes like. Your pumpkin cheesecake recipe tastes EXACTLY like the real deal! Let’s just say that we were extremely thankful for your Thanksgiving recipes!

64 mckenna June 17, 2011 at 8:45 pm

i used this recipe for some people i cook for. she is off dairy for now so wanted to find a nice vegan recipe to use green beans. i didnt use soy creamer to replace cream but instead found a product called “Mimiccreme”. its made from cashew and almonds. in an aseptic container. anyway, she LOVED it!!!!

65 Norma McNaught August 19, 2011 at 10:50 am

Hi Susan – I know we’re a long way from the time for Thanksgiving, but I wanted to make the casserole for a potluck here in Scotland, and wondered if is it possible to make ahead and freeze it? Many thanks, Norma.

66 SusanV August 19, 2011 at 11:38 am

I think it will freeze fine. Hope you enjoy it!

67 Ronalee Turner November 9, 2011 at 8:49 pm

At the end when you say top with the onion mixture, do you mean the mushroom mixture? I want to try this this Thanksgiving.

68 Susan Voisin November 9, 2011 at 9:05 pm

No, the mushrooms are mixed with the beans. You top that with the onion topping.

69 Ronalee Turner November 9, 2011 at 9:19 pm

Ok, thanks – looking forward to trying this! : )

70 Susan Voisin November 9, 2011 at 9:30 pm

Hope you enjoy it!

71 Gary Loewenthal November 11, 2011 at 7:12 pm

I made this tonight and it was delicious!

72 Alexis November 16, 2011 at 4:50 pm

Hi Susan. I made this last year for Thanksgiving and it turned out wonderful. I just can’t seem to remember whether I should toast the bread before blending it with the Earth Balance or just use freshly sliced bread. Any help would be appreciated!

73 Susan Voisin November 16, 2011 at 4:53 pm

Alexis, I don’t toast the bread. Hope you enjoy it again this year!

74 Melissa November 16, 2011 at 9:46 pm

Love this recipe. I’ve used it ,adding a few personal touches, for the past 3 years. Love how fresh and wholesome this tastes compared to the salty, fatty, processed “traditional” casserole. My carniverous Family embraced this delicious vegan side dish as our new tradition without even a thought of going back.

75 Emily November 20, 2011 at 4:40 pm

I’d like to make this recipe for Thanksgiving but I don’t keep margarine in the house as a rule and don’t want to buy it for just one dish- do you think subbing the EB for olive oil in the topping would work ok? Thanks! Love all your recipes, Susan.

76 Susan Voisin November 20, 2011 at 4:48 pm

I’m pretty sure that would work just fine. Hope you enjoy it!

77 Colin December 24, 2013 at 1:51 pm

Refined coconut oil is a really good sub for margarine.

78 Megan in Portland November 21, 2011 at 4:51 pm

I’d like to make my own onion rings to top this off. Do u think panko crusted onion rings crumbled on top would be a good sub? Would u still add bread crumbs and butter?
Thanks!!!

79 Vinny November 21, 2011 at 8:53 pm

I’m hosting a house full of Carnivores, Vegetarians and Vegans. I wanted side dishes that everyone could enjoy. Just made this to freeze for the big day – and it’s sitting on my counter cooling and I can’t stop eating it. Too delish! I accidentally put in too much cayenne … but it’s actually quite nice a lil spicy. I also used baby bella, shitake and oyster mushrooms, YUM! Can’t wait for the family to try this. :)

80 Vinny November 21, 2011 at 8:55 pm

Also, just read the comment about NOT freezing it. So noted – into the fridge it goes….

81 Eve Parker November 23, 2011 at 7:39 pm

This is beyond delicious! I used a round glass dish but I would definitely recommend using a 13 X 9 that way it is all evenly distributed. Everyone loved and I was the only vegan!

82 meagan November 25, 2011 at 1:37 am

What a great recipe! It was the star of my vegan feast. I didn’t have creamer and almond milk worked just great. Could have been thicker so the cornstarch mentioned on another post may be helpful. Or even a tad more flour. Only challenge I had was keeping the mushrooms from sticking. Had to re-spray Pam before they were done cooking.

Just a great, fresh vegan recipe than can transcend to non-vegan meals!

83 azulterra23 November 25, 2011 at 11:15 am

I didn’t have all the ingredients , (like the sherry, cayenne, pepper,I don’t use very strong spices on my cooking) but anyway this was very nice and I was happy for not using the can of soup that is not healthy. Thanks for sharing. We like it! :)

84 Seasideshawn November 30, 2011 at 10:09 pm

I’ve made this before but tonight’s was the best-I took some advice from the Sexy Vegan & added a handful of raw cashews in the Vitamix w/the vegetable broth, also added 1TB corn starch to almond milk, the rest I followed as is, though I just topped it w/Ezekiel bread crumbs-which I keep on hand-for the topping….I know I’m weird not to like fried onions..but anyway this makes a fantastic adult version, I almost don’t want to compare it to “Campbell’s”

85 Heidi Fencik December 25, 2011 at 9:11 pm

Ah, so it IS good without the fried onions. I was happy to use them this time, but will try it with just the bread crumbs next time. I used Ezekial too. Mmm…

86 Heidi Fencik December 25, 2011 at 9:08 pm

Last night for Christmas Eve dinner, the non-vegans in my family loved this just as much as my old non-vegan recipe! I was not expecting them to embrace any change to this most popular family dish, but they loved it. Thank you, Susan.

It turned out wonderfully despite the fact that I hesitantly used canned green beans, canned mushrooms (diced very finely to hide them as well as they used to be “hidden” from my non-mushroom-lovers back when I used Campbell’s cream of mushroom soup) and just pain old low-fat soy milk, not soy creamer or full-fat milk. I just didn’t have the other ingredients on hand, but it was still delicious. I’d declaire this a very forgiving recipe.

87 Sara December 25, 2011 at 10:50 pm

made this on Christmas!! For topping, sautéed onions, hash brown potatoes and sliced asaparagus – then assembled it an hour before serving, baking convection 375 for 45minutes. Crispy and DELICIOUS!!! (Used chili pepper salt and black pepper in sautéing the topping)

88 Nicky January 1, 2012 at 12:27 am

2011 ended really great thanks to this delicious “Vegan Green Bean Casserole”.
It is an absolute keeper!
Thank you so much for all your wonderful recipes and nice blogs.It gives me just the support and motivation I need to continue on this path in which I believe so much. I wish you and all a happy healthy 2012!

89 Erin January 1, 2012 at 11:40 am

I tried this for Christmas at my house, everyone loved it! It was delicious. :]

90 Dalmattica February 13, 2012 at 7:44 pm

I made this on Thanksgiving last year and again yesterday for dinner, so delicious!

For yesterday’s dinner, I used plain soy milk ’cause I didn’t have creamer on hand, and it was still fabulously delicious. I threw in some slivered almonds for a little crunch, yummy!

My family didn’t believe this is a low calorie recipe, it’s too yummy to be healthy food. ;)

91 Radhika Sarohia August 19, 2012 at 5:56 pm

Made this today and skipped a few of the preliminary steps, due to time constraints, and it still came out well, I’ll be making this again
I topped it with ground flax seeds and onion flakes
I think next time I might bake it for a smaller amount of time so the vegetables are a little more crispy (just a personal preference)

92 Laina November 2, 2012 at 8:47 pm

I’m thinking of making this for Thanksgiving, but noticed it’s over-the-top sodium laden. Is that from the tablespoon of salt when cooking the beans, or is there a lot in the french fried onions as well?

If mostly in the bean water I can easily omit that. But I’m guessing the french fried onions are what make the dish and wouldn’t want to not add those. ;)

93 Laina November 4, 2012 at 9:44 pm

Just read your notes and noticed your comment on the sodium in the water. I did some reading and found that much of the sodium is absorbed, but couldn’t find out how much.

So my solution will be not to add salt to the water and omit the sodium in the topping because there’s already plenty of sodium in the margarine, and I’ll look for no-sodium bread. I think Ezekiel has a no-sodium version.

Also for the sauce, one could find a no-sodium vegetable broth and my soy milk doesn’t have sodium added either. By doing this it would bring the sodium level to less than 300 mg of sodium.

This is figured at 6 servings so if 8 servings are used the amount of sodium would drop significantly.

Normally I wouldn’t be too concerned for one dish at a special time of year, but there will be other dishes with some sodium as well, so I try to limit the added sodium as much as possible.

I know this isn’t important for everyone, but I do follow E2L and try to be strict with the amount of sodium allowed because I have high blood pressure if I stray.

As always, thank you so much for your wonderful, delicious recipes. I think I’ll be making the Samosa’s this week. I don’t normally eat potato anymore but once-in-a-while I get a hankering for them and the Samosas look and sound so yummy!

94 Christina November 13, 2012 at 4:41 pm

Looks great! What if I’m taking this to a work potluck and don’t have an oven at work? Should I bake the topping with the casserole, or just put it in the microwave at work before serving? I feel like cooking it together in advance would work better.

95 Susan Voisin November 13, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Definitely bake it at home first and then reheat it in the microwave later.

96 Karen November 14, 2012 at 4:22 pm

Do you think the dish would taste as good if the mushrooms were left out?

97 Susan Voisin November 14, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Personally, no, I think that too much of the flavor comes from the mushrooms so it wouldn’t be near as good without them.

98 KBeane November 18, 2012 at 6:58 pm

I made this today to accompany my vegan French onion soup. Very tasty! I love the mushrooms in it. Thanks for posting.

99 Susan Voisin November 18, 2012 at 7:34 pm

Glad you liked it!

100 Michele November 19, 2012 at 3:23 pm

do you mean the same French-fried onions that are used in the regular old green bean casserole recipe?
aren’t they crazy unhealthy and have all kinds of preservatives, etc.? there are/have to be healthier versions … it would be very helpful if you could tell me to what specifically you are referring. thank you.

101 Carol Lani November 24, 2012 at 12:41 pm

OMG! I just remembered that my dehydrator would come in handy with making shoestring crispy onion rings! (Slice thin and add a touch of tamari and or basalmic, perhaps? Then dry till crisp…) Also our local whole foods has a raw dandelion cracker dehydrated by someone in-house and it does have a little olive oil, but would still make a much healthier and very yummy topping for this!!!! Cannot wait to try!

102 Grace November 22, 2012 at 8:26 pm

I just made this for tonight’s thanksgiving meal and it was amazing! This recipe will be going into permanent holiday rotation :)

103 Kristen November 22, 2012 at 11:04 pm

We made this again this year – it’s a holiday tradition now. But we also had non-vegan friends make it because I rave about it so much, and they love it now too! Thanks for blessing us with one of our favorite dishes!

104 Kathy V November 24, 2012 at 8:14 am

Made these for Thanksgiving and they were delicious. I never liked the “original” dish when I was growing up and not vegan. I left them in the oven a little too long and that made the topping extra crunchy. Thanks for another great recipe.

105 Radhika Sarohia November 27, 2012 at 7:03 pm

After seeing some microwave casserole recipes online, I tried to make a low-carb microwave version of this. It came out okay, to my surprise. Need to play around with it a bit more, esp the topping, but it was not too bad :-)

106 Kathy December 1, 2012 at 3:59 am

Hi I made this tonight for a belated Thanksgiving dinner in New Zealand. I followed the recipe to the “t” except for the soy creamer. They don’t have that here so I used half soy milk and half coconut cream and it was so yummy with that hint of coconut. Anyway I just wanted to say that all of the comments on here are legit because this recipe truly rocks!! Thank again.

107 Nova December 4, 2012 at 5:17 pm

WOW! Made this for Thanksgiving this year and it was a huge hit with everyone, including my meat-eating, salt and sugar loving parents! I subbed coconut milk for the soy creamer. The sauce itself is so deliciously creamy and mushroomy that we have stared to use the sauce over whole wheat macaroni with some green beans added in – completely leaving out the french fried onions and margarine. This recipe is a keeper!

108 norjdont December 20, 2012 at 11:57 pm

I just had to tell you this is a knockout recipe! The first time I made it was to use up the green beans I kept getting in my CSA box. I’m not sure why I even tried it, as no one in my family(husband, son and I) have ever liked the regular version, but I’m so glad I did. Then came Thanksgiving, and the “What sides are we going to have this year?” discussion my family has EVERY year. My sister-in-laws grandmother said green bean casserole. And because she’s over ninety, we all agreed, even though she wouldn’t be spending dinner with us. I promised to deliver a dish everyone would love, so long as no one asked any questions(I’m the only vegan). At first everyone took that small obligatory scoop, but then they came back for seconds and if they were lucky enough thirds. It was the first dish that ran out. And now, tonight I was planning the menu for Christmas. It’s just going to be just my the three of this year and we’re keeping it small. I asked my son to pick a side…and he picked “That green bean stuff.” Highest praise. Thank you for this!

109 kristina December 24, 2012 at 10:40 am

Just want to let you know that this is my 4-5th year making this recipe and it’s my dad’s absolute favorite. He’s 66, and on the fragile side – and requested this as his only Christmas gift. Thanks for sharing your love of food :)

Happy Holidays!
Kristina D, from NH

110 Abra December 26, 2012 at 1:04 am

Made this tonight as well and it was a real crowd pleaser. I think the sauce alone would make a great thick soup. Definitely a keeper!

111 Tracey January 14, 2013 at 10:06 am

This is the BEST green bean casserole EVER… vegan or not. I made it for the teachers at my daughter’s preschool for a special lunch, and they were all asking for the recipe. It is amazing. Thank you!!! Can’t wait to try some of your other recipes.

112 Rachael February 21, 2013 at 5:19 pm

Thanks for this recipe! It’s the best green bean casserole I’ve made. I did substitute 2 cans of green beans for the fresh because that’s what I had, but it still turned out amazing.

113 Sarah October 27, 2013 at 1:28 pm

It really is the best. I can’t wait for Thanksgiving to roll around so I can make it again. Everyone in my family loves it except for my picky grandpa who only eats about three things and won’t eat anything if he suspects it of veganism. I pretty much live off the leftovers (if there are any) for every meal until it’s gone. SO freaking good.

114 Michelle October 28, 2013 at 12:23 am

Amazing recipes!!!

115 Alli November 5, 2013 at 12:02 pm

I love this recipe. I found it when I was vegan around 2008 and it was such a hit I’ve cooked it every T-day since. My husband checks and double checks that I’m serving the dish weeks in advance.

116 Kelly November 18, 2013 at 11:08 am

This sounds AMAZING and can not wait to try it for Thanksgiving this year! Can it be made the night before and still come out OK??

117 Susan Voisin November 18, 2013 at 11:23 am

Sure. I bake it without the topping and refrigerate the topping separately; then I bring to room temperature before sprinkling the topping on the casserole and baking for about 20 minutes or until hot throughout.

118 Kelly November 27, 2013 at 1:15 pm

Thank you!! Baked the green bean part and tastes divine!! Can’t wait to try it all put together tomorrow!!

119 Peggy November 21, 2013 at 5:54 pm

I made this for the second time tonight. It was delicious!!! As a spice lover, I added extra garlic, cayenne, chili pepper and red pepper flakes (my norm!) and used vanilla soy milk. My husband questioned why in the world I would even consider vanilla with green bean casserole, but I followed my instincts and it worked. Turned out to be a very spicy dish with a hint of sweet. Thanks for the great recipe!

120 Dina November 26, 2013 at 6:52 pm

… Hi Susan … i want to thank you for all the recipes that i have received from you … i’m grateful & privileged to be a vegan … because this is how i found you … God Bless you Susan … your loved ones & the whole world … God Bless …

121 Adam Podraza November 29, 2013 at 2:22 am

Susan, even though this recipe is 6 years old I have to share how much I loved it. Everything is sheer perfection.

122 Tami@Nutmeg Notebook November 29, 2013 at 11:34 am

I made this for my family for Thanksgiving and it was a stand out dish at our table! It was perfect and I will be making this again and again. Thanks so much Susan!

123 Sara November 29, 2013 at 11:43 am

Hi Susan. I made this recipe yesterday for Thanksgiving and I need your advice on how to make it better for Christmas. I prepared the recipe exactly as directed and my sauce was extremely thick- just like it’s supposed to be. I poured it into my casserole dish and drove it to my parents, where it sat on the counter for about 2 hours before we baked it. To my dismay, the thick sauce turned to liquid and I had more of a green bean soup than a casserole. What do you think I did wrong?

I also made your double layer pumpkin cheesecake, which turned out perfectly, and was a huge hit with my non-vegan family! Also your mushroom gravy, also delicious, thank you!

124 Susan Voisin November 29, 2013 at 4:33 pm

Sara, I’m so sorry about that! I can’t figure it out, unless the beans just continued to give off liquid after they were cooked. I’ve made it before to take with me, and I make it up to the baking step, keeping the topping separate, and I’ve never had that happen. But maybe next time, keep the beans separate from the sauce until you’re ready to bake. Drain the beans of any accumulated liquid before assembling the casserole. Hopefully this will work!

125 Sara December 26, 2013 at 9:28 am

Hi Susan, thanks so much for this advice! I made this dish again yesterday, and this time I kept the beans separate from the sauce until we were ready to put it in the oven. It was perfect and didn’t get at all watery. This time I used plain coconut milk creamer, and a combo of almond meal and sliced almonds for the topping. Delicious!

126 Usha December 11, 2013 at 12:54 pm

Made this for Thanksgiving just as written. I would never have treated green beans this way (50′s ish casserole) if it weren’t for the fact that Susan vouched for the result. She told the truth. It was Excellent! Non-vegan folks raved about it. The little bit of leftover was cleverly stashed for later by me, but were discovered and eaten by my teenager the next day!

Also worth observing that this was a very forgiving recipe…it went in the oven a bit longer than stated since other things were in there too, and at a lower temp, and still turned out stellar.

127 Alaine December 21, 2013 at 10:34 am

It really is the best vegan casserole. I’ve made this recipe 3 times since Thanksgiving! I added about 1/2 tbsp of soy sauce and about 1/2 tsp of dried thyme to the sauce, and a sprinkle of Italian bread crumbs to the topping as a substitution for fresh bread and butter because I’m lazy. Crazy good!

128 Karen Havling December 25, 2013 at 3:18 pm

Susan, thanks for a great recipe. I took it to Christmas dinner at my parents – they and my daughter-in-law are vegan, while my son and I are vegetarian. There were a couple of meat-eaters also, and everyone loved it! I used almond milk instead of soy creamer since that’s what I had on hand, and added a Tbsp of soy sauce. I also just used FF onions for the topping instead of mixing it with bread crumbs. This recipe is definitely a keeper!

129 Bridget Young December 26, 2013 at 11:08 am

I made this yesterday for Christmas dinner and it was so good! I am the only vegan in the family but everyone thought it was delicious, (and we’re talking 3 generations.) Thanks so much for this recipe. It’s a holiday classic!

130 Krysia Kaminski May 6, 2014 at 9:43 am

I thought these recipes were fat free — this one certainly isn’t. ??

131 Susan Voisin May 6, 2014 at 9:51 am

I pointed out in the introduction that this is a special occasion dish that has reduced fat but isn’t fat free.

132 Krysia Kaminski May 9, 2014 at 9:11 pm

sorry – i saw that after i posted. Great site!

133 bikehikenc August 12, 2014 at 12:58 pm

Wondering how this would be to substitute squash for the green beans???? I want to make a healthy squash casserole and have not found any really good recipes.

134 Kirsten August 17, 2014 at 7:13 pm

Oh my goodness Susan! This is fantastic! I know it’s nowhere near Thanksgiving but I had a bag each of fresh green and yellow beans from the farmer’s market, that needed to be eaten tonight or go to waste. Since I’m lazy, I added a can of black beans and called it 3-Bean Delight! I served it all over a bed of barley for a one dish meal!
Other modifications I made:
Unfortunately I can’t have whole onions right now so I added onion powder to both the mushroom sauce and the bread crumbs. I also added crumbled almonds to the topping but I think I’ll leave them out next time.

135 kariann November 12, 2014 at 11:22 pm

The soy creamer that I use has cane sugar in it. Will that add a sweetness to this dish? What brand of creamer do you usually use for your recipes? Thank you, I am trying to prepare my Thanksgiving day menu.

136 Susan Voisin November 13, 2014 at 7:21 am

The one I’ve used is the plain Silk creamer, which probably has sugar in it, but it’s not enough to be noticible in this. I have also used plain unsweetened almond milk and just added a thickener to it.