Roasted Beet-Tofu Burgers

by on September 21, 2009

Roasted Beet-Tofu Burgers

High Noon Café, the only vegetarian restaurant in Jackson, Mississippi, where I live, serves the most unusual veggie burgers, bright red with beets and soft in texture from the tofu. The first time my husband recommended I try one, I was afraid to order it, but once his burger came, I couldn’t resist sampling it. The sandwich comes piled with so many extras–vegan cheese, sun-dried tomato aioli, mushrooms– that it took some doing to scrape off a clean sample of the burger, but once I did, I was intrigued by its flavor, which was lightly smoky but in a natural-tasting way, not through the use of Liquid Smoke or hickory-flavored salt. I was sure that the source of the smokiness must be the beets and was determined to try to replicate the taste at home.

To pack in as much natural smoky flavor as I could, I decided to roast the beets as well as the onion and garlic. To avoid adding starch, I used ground flax seeds as a binder, so my burgers came out less stable and easier to fall apart than the restaurant version, but the flavor was very similar, with hints of earthiness and smoke. Since the burgers had a tendency to fall apart, I didn’t flip them over halfway through cooking as I would have liked to do to aid in browning, so the next time I make them I’ll add either a couple of teaspoons of corn starch or a couple of tablespoons of oat flour (oatmeal pulverized in the blender). Otherwise, these red-violet burgers were near-perfect to me. If you enjoy a spicier burger, feel free to add more roasted garlic and chipotle chile powder, but not so much as to drown out the beet. (Sorry, couldn’t resist the one pun!) They’re shown here served with chipotle aioli (pureed chipotles mixed with vegan mayo), which provided a nice spicy kick.

Roasted Beet-Tofu Burgers

1 Michelle September 21, 2009 at 12:28 pm

Love the color – so fun! Can't wait to give these a try.

2 Tarrant September 21, 2009 at 12:49 pm

How did I not know you were in Jackson? My grandmother lives in Jackson. Well, step-grandmother who I haven't seen since I was 12 or so. But I have a certain fondness for Jackson in any case.

3 The Voracious Vegan September 21, 2009 at 1:43 pm

That must be them most beautiful burger I've ever seen! I love beets, the texture, the flavor and THE COLOR! You can't beat that cheerful vibrant pink. Just gorgeous.

4 laurahborealis September 21, 2009 at 2:00 pm

I love that this is pink! I had a pink veggie burger in San Francisco- it was delicious. I can't wait to try making my own!

5 nora September 21, 2009 at 2:11 pm

Thanks, Susan! I love them! A bright pink burger? Yes please!

6 Josiane September 21, 2009 at 2:25 pm

The roasted veggies must give this burger so much flavor! I love that it uses vegetables that are in season right now; that makes for the perfect Fall burger!

7 moonwatcher September 21, 2009 at 2:29 pm

Oh Susan,

I just squealed with delight when I saw this– a BEET burger–this is so great, and beautiful, too, because I love beets, roasted flavor and tofu. And I bet the flax is really nice with all this, too. I need one more beet and a block of tofu. . .I am so looking forward to trying this!! Thanks so much for working this up for us from your experience at The High Noon Cafe (love the name).

xo

8 No More Sad Geraniums September 21, 2009 at 2:51 pm

This looks great! I have several beets in the fridge and was wondering what to do with them outside of making soup. The fact that they freeze well is even more perfect since I'm still stocking up on meals!

9 Mara September 21, 2009 at 2:56 pm

Susan:

We eat only plant-based whole foods, so we don't eat tofu. Do you think this recipe would work with almond flour instead of tofu?

BTW — I regularly make your blueberry bars. They are easy to make and absolutely delicious. I am going to make your fig bars next.

Thanks.
Mara

10 Mary September 21, 2009 at 3:50 pm

Those are amazing! I'm not into beets, but I'm psyched that these are gluten-free. I wonder if another root veggie would work. Potatoes, or turnips, perhaps?

11 SusanV September 21, 2009 at 3:57 pm

Mara, I don't think they'd come out the same, but you could always try. I've heard of people making beet burgers that are mostly just beets (I don't think they roast them first, though). Also, you could make a bean and beet burger using pinto or white beans. I'll bet that would be pretty.

Mary, I don't think that potatoes would have a lot of flavor, but how about sweet potatoes?

12 Cosmos September 21, 2009 at 5:54 pm

it looks like steak tar tar, i love beets though

13 Denise September 21, 2009 at 6:36 pm

That recipe looks delish!!

Just one thing though, I noticed an advertisment on your this page for fish fingers!

14 SusanV September 21, 2009 at 6:55 pm

Thanks for the heads-up, Denise. I'm going to check into that right away.

15 SusanV September 21, 2009 at 6:57 pm

If anyone else sees a fish ad, could you make a note of where it is and what brand it is? I need this info in order to ask my ad company to remove it. Thanks!

16 Jenny September 21, 2009 at 6:59 pm

Oh, man, my 9 year old is obsessed with beets. He will love this. (And thanks for the heads up about Jackson having a veggie restaurant; we drive through occasionally, and I would not have assumed that.) What kind of bun is that?

17 ahimsablog September 21, 2009 at 8:40 pm

I love the idea of a bright red veggie burger. Food is even better when it's pleasing to the eye as well. :) All you're recipes are amazing!

18 LKSisters September 21, 2009 at 8:57 pm

Wow, the color is so beautiful and bold! This burger sounds so intriguing. What would you recommend as a substitute for the chipotle?

19 moonwatcher September 21, 2009 at 9:43 pm

Hi again Susan,

I was just reading over the recipe again and wondered, did you grind the flax seeds or use them whole?

Thanks,

20 moonwatcher September 21, 2009 at 10:17 pm

Oh, never mind, i just read the intro again, and see that you did grind the flax seeds. Sorry I missed that. :)

21 SusanV September 21, 2009 at 10:18 pm

LKSisters, you could use smoked paprika or cayenne pepper instead of the chipotle.

Moonwatcher–oops, the flax seeds were ground. Thanks for catching that. I'll change the recipe now.

22 Johanna September 22, 2009 at 12:00 am

that looks fantastic – I just love the colour – and in fact I just bought some purple corn flour so am tempted to make these with a bit of the flour for extra colour – you can never have too much!

23 Chris September 22, 2009 at 2:05 am

This looks great and not too hard to make. Just one question: how do you shred the beets? A grater?

24 SusanV September 22, 2009 at 7:25 am

Chris, I used the shredding disk on my food processor, but a grater would work, too.

25 Veg is Sexy September 22, 2009 at 9:47 am

If anybody lives in the NYC area, Five Napkin Burger in Hell's Kitchen makes beet-based veggie burgers as well. Thanks for the recipe Susan, can't wait to try them!

26 Ricki September 22, 2009 at 10:07 am

What a great new way to use beets. . . the burgers sound fabulous. This is a recipe I am definitely going to try!

27 Bess September 22, 2009 at 10:37 am

What a crazy coincidence. Last night I made fried beet patties (recipe from http://www.oakhillorganics.org/blog.html/?p=279). They were so wonderful but of course high in fat.

I was thinking to myself I ought to send the idea to FFV because surely Susan could find a way to do it with less fat. And then I logged on this morning to see this post!

28 Anonymous September 22, 2009 at 10:41 am

I really dislike updates where it is impossible to tell what the update was. I have already printed this recipe. Is it incorrect? How do I tell? Speak to me!

29 SusanV September 22, 2009 at 10:49 am

Anonymous, I'm not really sure what you're referring to. The only change that's been made to the recipe since it was first posted is to clarify that it's ground flax seeds, rather than whole.

30 A September 22, 2009 at 12:01 pm

Gorgeous! This would be a great 4th of July burger served with white vegan cheese and blue corn tortilla chips on the side!
-A

31 Lisa September 22, 2009 at 3:22 pm

Wow, that's a lot of burger for 79 calories. I will definitely try to make some of these!

32 Mary September 22, 2009 at 4:47 pm

These look amazing!!
I've never actually cooked with beets before…will definitely be giving this a try!!

33 oneshotbeyond September 22, 2009 at 5:06 pm

these look so great, what a clever use of beets!

34 merathon September 22, 2009 at 7:28 pm

i had a veggie burger at a restaurant in Asheville NC called 131 Main (they also have one here in Charlotte) and it was the BEST i've ever had. according to the menu, the main ingredients were beets, brown rice, and mushrooms. according to the server, even non-vegetarians order this burger because it is so amazing. i was wondering if i'd ever be able to duplicate it, so maybe this recipe is a start! thanks!

35 Anonymous September 22, 2009 at 8:32 pm

I'm excited to try making these. Do you think it makes a difference, for better or worse, if the tofu is frozen and thawed, squeezed out, etc., or is it better to use tofu straight from fridge? Thanks to anyone for input.

36 Kris September 23, 2009 at 12:29 am

Very delicious and vibrant! I've recently started a love affair with beets (I used to only eat them pickled, which doesn't count) so I'll have to give these a try.

37 Craig Russel September 23, 2009 at 3:38 am

Thanks, a great delicious beet and tofu burger. Was looking out for good recipes for veg burgers. Thats because I've turned a veggie, thanks to a change in beliefs. But I could'nt give up on my favorite cigar Habanos This one's high in nutritional content and low on cholestrol, at the same time delicious.

38 Hiring Girl September 23, 2009 at 8:42 am

I eat tofu a lot. It is delicious and it will not make you fat. But I barely cook tofu at home. My husband doesn't eat tofu at all. He always into meat. And my kids doesn't like tofu too. Too bad for me!

39 MG September 23, 2009 at 9:02 am

Oh! I'm looking forward to trying this recipe.

…and, Hiring Girl, isn't that "too bad for them"? You should make some of these just for yourself!

40 Anonymous September 23, 2009 at 10:46 am

These look and sound so fantastic!! Love making my own veggie burgers, and you KNOW i'm adding the paprika, can't resist myself a lil kick!

you're my fav vegan blog! I'm gonna start my own soon I think because yours is so great it sounds like so much fun.

41 Jumper September 23, 2009 at 9:50 pm

I made something similar to replace ham in a recipe. I mixed the pureed beet with pureed tofu then re-pressed it in the fridge until the tofu re-solidified the mix. I also flavored it with salt and maple syrup. It tasted more like bacon than ham but I take that as no problem! The beet adds a lot of water; one could press it out or dry it in a low oven before cooking in a regular manner.

42 couchSpud September 23, 2009 at 10:25 pm

I love the fact that this burger is pink. Scrumptious AND cute! :P

43 tracieMoo September 24, 2009 at 9:48 am

Striking Colour! What a brilliant idea.. replacing meet with beet and tofu.. thanks for sharing!

44 emiglia September 24, 2009 at 6:20 pm

What a great color!

45 Kelston September 25, 2009 at 7:47 am

Hi Susan, this recipe looks amazing and I can't wait to try it out. I might use Agar-Agar as a binding agent. What do you think? In the picture (top of the page) there is something right on top of the burger that resembles melted cheese, what is that? Thank you.

46 moonwatcher September 25, 2009 at 2:58 pm

I made these last night, and they are truly, truly delicious. The roasted vegetables lend such a subtle, yet sweet and earthy flavor, going well with the flax and the nutritional yeast. . .I did add a couple teaspoons of cornstarch as you suggested, and this allowed me to flip them over during cooking time, though I had to be careful. Since I don't do hamburger buns because of the gluten, and gluten free breads are generally higher in fat than I want to be, I wrapped my burger up in kales leaves, with fresh tomato and dijon mustard. Yum! I just had another for lunch in a blue corn tortilla with kale and other veggies–I am a mustard lover, and they are good with mustard. :) The flavor only improved overnight in the fridge, and they were wonderful cold and reheated (I was tempted to do that "different temperature" taste test we're so fond of !) I have some wrapped up to freeze, but I'm not sure how many of them will make it in there, though I hope a few will, because I'd like to see how they freeze, since you said they did well that way. Thanks for a truly beautiful AND truly delicious burger! Another favorite way to use beets. . .(I also just plain loved the taste of the roasted beet and roasted onion, and will now be thinking of what else I might do with those. Oh, and since I can't get smoked paprika up here in the sticks, I tried "toasting" some plain paprika in a little skillet. . .it turned darker and had a more earthy flavor that probably isn't as authentic as being it specially smoked, but it did lend a roasted though subtle flavor.)

xo

47 eatme_delicious September 26, 2009 at 6:23 pm

These look awesome! I love beets.

48 Manda September 27, 2009 at 12:49 am

I just tried making these tonight and they were delicious! The texture was a bit too squishy for what I like in my burger, so if you figure out a way to make it more firm let me know! I've got some in the freezer so they may work better when cooked

49 ilona September 27, 2009 at 2:57 am

Thanks for posting this recipe, Susan! I tried these a couple of days ago and they were excellent. Tasted very nice with ciabatta, next time will try with wholemeal buns.

50 Melissa September 27, 2009 at 3:21 pm

Dear Susan, I am a huge fan of your site. Whenever I seek for inspiration I visit FatFreeVegan! I have just recently started my own food blog and would like to invite you to take a look at it:

urbangirlscoutcooking.blogspot.com

Take care,

Melissa

51 kitchen tables September 27, 2009 at 9:32 pm

What a burger! Pink! haha.. love to try one and judge for myself if it really tastes good coz it looks like one!

52 stellatex September 29, 2009 at 3:16 pm

Genius!

53 Megan My Dear September 30, 2009 at 2:02 pm

I made these last night! Very delicious! I added some oat flour to help bind. They stayed together enough to flip halfway but totally fell apart while eating. It wasn't a big deal, just messy.

54 Megan My Dear September 30, 2009 at 7:27 pm

Leftover update: I had leftover burgers for lunch. I toasted them up in a pan on the stove with just a touch of earth balance (not fat free, but it only took a tiny bit). They toasted up so nicely. I ate them plain this way. This would make a great leftover dinner with mashed cauliflower or something. Really yummy.

55 Seng October 1, 2009 at 4:43 am

They look absolutely gorgeous – Cant wait to try these! What does the nutritional yeast do? I live in England & its not always readily available? Thanks
Senga

56 Anonymous October 1, 2009 at 10:05 am

Thanks for this recipe. I made the burgers last night and they were wonderful. Pretty, too. Like others who have posted, I would like to find a way to make them a bit more firm.

Hatshepsut

57 Lacto Ovo Vegetarian October 1, 2009 at 3:50 pm

Great recipe…looks so tasty…will try tonite. Btw check out a great site for men looking into becoming vegetarian

58 Andréa N. October 4, 2009 at 3:17 pm

OMG, it looks absolutely delicious!!

59 Anonymous October 6, 2009 at 12:40 pm

My family made these on vacation and tried to use canned beets and they were just too wet to mold into patties. Perhaps a note not to use canned beets? The flavor was wonderful, though! Great recipe!

60 Jess of Veg Out! October 6, 2009 at 1:06 pm

I had a beet burger in San Francisco once, and it was FABULOUS. Yours looks really tasty, too!

61 Berto October 6, 2009 at 8:48 pm

I am trying to make these beet burgers. However, I don't know how to squeeze the garlic (how does this work? do I shred?)and I only have corn starch (do I use 2 tablespoons?). Can you help? Please?

This cooking impaired vegan would really appreciate it, as these burgers look absolutely delicious.

Thank you.

62 Liz October 6, 2009 at 11:04 pm

I wasn't sure if I'd like these or not, they're really different from what I normally make (and I couldn't remember ever eating a beet), but I couldn't resist trying them. A tip- don't hand grate beets with stainable stuff nearby, lol. I also had to squeeze A LOT of liquid out of each patty as I formed them. But in the end, mine were flippable (carefully). I also broiled them a bit at the end. I ate mine wrapped in flatbread, so I don't know if it held together then. But they were delicious! The texture took a bit of getting used to, but I was really surprised how yummy and smokey they tasted. The only thing I regret was not having smoked paprika, I think that would have put them over the top.

Still, I like instant gratification, so these will probably go on my special occasions list.

63 Em October 7, 2009 at 8:40 am

We LOVED these and plan on having them regularly.
I made them up in the morning and put them in the freezer. I cooked them(for 20 min) on cookie sheets that were sprayed with a bit of oil as I did not have parchement paper and them I moved them up under the broiler and broiled them on low for 10 min.
I let them rest for 5 min….meanwhile taking some of the tasty bits off as I could not wait -the smell of them was enticing.
YUM!!!!! The flavor of these is incredible!!!
Thank you so much for helping me feed my family such healthy and delicious food.
Em

64 Vege October 9, 2009 at 5:02 am

That is one hell of a burger :)
Wonder only ho to eas burger when its height is so big :)
Though I don't see any "vege meat" inside this one – some fired tofu or anything of that sort what would be nice addition.

65 techkim October 10, 2009 at 11:19 pm

This looks great and beets are HIGH on my gall bladder diet. So I am always looking for new ways to use beets. Thanks

Kimmy

66 diane October 12, 2009 at 9:29 am

A wonderful burger. I grated raw beets and roasted them in a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes and also used a bit of vegan Worcestershire sauce. a tablespoon of chickpea flour bound this well. Great burger and, perhaps even better the next day. Thank you.

67 Allison October 29, 2009 at 11:55 am

awesome burger. the chipotle vegenaise helped too.

68 Susan November 3, 2009 at 2:07 pm

I made these and they were delicious. They smelled fabulous while in the oven too!

69 Addicted to Veggies January 31, 2010 at 7:17 pm

Hi Susan! I've followed your blog for a really long time and I love it! I hope it's okay with you, but I wanted to link to this post from my site. I made a vegan/raw beet burger and yours was the inspiration for it. Thanks so much!

~Sarahfae

70 SusanV January 31, 2010 at 7:27 pm

Of course–link away! I'm looking forward to seeing your raw beet burger!

71 san diego screen printing March 30, 2010 at 6:30 pm

Yum! I am a vegetarian and tofu is one of my favorite substitute for meat. Tofu is very nutritional.

Best Regards,
san diego screen printing

72 Ellen May 8, 2010 at 12:34 pm

Yum! DH is picking up the ingredients as we speak and I can’t wait to fix these for my family! It looks and sounds wonderful. Thank you for all of the hard work that you put into this blog. :)

73 Jason Pereira May 20, 2010 at 5:08 am

I miss eating tofu burgers. I think my mom loves to make tofu burgers and now that I am leaving my own life I just miss her cooking for me. Thanks.

74 olly May 25, 2010 at 4:44 am

yummyy

75 moonwatcher May 28, 2010 at 1:30 pm

I made these again the other day, and a dear omnivorous friend of mine stopped by as they were cooling after coming out of the oven. “What are these?” she asked. They look good, and so purple! Can I try one?” After tasting them, she said, “Wow, these are really good, way better than those Boca Burgers I eat sometimes!” And she asked me for the link to the recipe, which I am about to send her now. :) Thought you’d like to know.

xo

76 Andrea Boddam June 1, 2010 at 12:22 pm

It was my birthday over the weekend and my mom asked where I wanted to go for my ‘special b-day dinner’ but I had something else on my mind.
I gave her this recipe and oh boy were they delicious!

It was even better because they were followed up with your ‘Can’t Be Beet Chocolate Cake’

Best birthday food ever!

77 brownwithblondehighlights June 12, 2010 at 1:39 pm

AMAZING! :D
We bought the ingredients the other day – but didn’t have a free afternoon until today. They are So flavorful. I made them a little bigger – I got 7 out of the batch instead of 9. I followed the recipe to a T, adding only 2 tsp cornstarch as mentioned above and they are perfect!
Thanks Again!

78 Laine August 6, 2010 at 10:04 pm

A HUGE thank you for this recipe!!! I made a few adjustments- I added extra nutritional yeast, a handful of sunflower seeds, and subbed chia seeds for the flax. I also chopped up a habenero pepper and added i to the mix. My boyfriend and I have thoroughly been enjoying these and made extras to freeze. Thanks again!

79 Paige August 11, 2010 at 6:02 pm

These were amazing! My boyfriend and I cound’t get enough. While I was forming the patties, I noticed that they looked like real meat…. weird. I have some good pictures!

80 crzyquilter August 19, 2010 at 6:57 pm

I had a wonderful beet burger in a small NY town a couple of months ago. I was so excited to find your recipe. I just tried the recipe and the flavor is wonderful, but they were way too mushy. Turned into more of a spread than a burger. I guess they would work in a pita. Any recommendations on binding them better and keeping the flavor?
Thanks for all your recipes–you are my go to site for recipes!

81 SusanV August 19, 2010 at 8:34 pm

Sorry to hear that! I would try adding a little cornstarch to the mixture, maybe 2-3 teaspoons. Please let me know how that turns out.

82 thedalyn August 22, 2010 at 7:29 pm

I’ve got mine in the oven right now. I used oat flour in the recipe, then saw your final comment and added 1 T of corn starch. They have about 10 more minutes, but, when I went to flip them, they weren’t very stable. I’m curious if anyone has tried anything different?

I also upped the oven temp when I flipped them, because the they were still VERY moist–part of the reason for their fragile state.

Any other suggestions from those who’ve tried this recipe?

83 thedalyn August 23, 2010 at 12:09 pm

Ok. I take it back. I used cornstarch and oat flour, upped the temp half way through to 400, and cooked these for close to an hour. But, guess what? They stayed together. And they’re delicious.

84 Lisa August 29, 2010 at 5:53 pm

This was GREAT! I added chipotles in adobo sauce to the burgers and it added great (mild) heat and smokiness. I added corn starch, too, for stick-together-ness. So good! I love your recipes!

85 Natalie September 24, 2010 at 1:29 am

This may be really daft, but do you freeze these before or after you cook them?
I’m anxious to put the beets in my fridge to good use and try these! Yum…

86 SusanV September 24, 2010 at 7:51 am

You could do it either way, but the easiest is to cook them first. Then when you need them, all you have to do is reheat them, in a skillet or microwave.

87 Christopher Kandrat March 30, 2011 at 4:55 pm

After eating beef burgers forever, this taste excellent, great recipe will eat again!

88 Sara April 9, 2011 at 10:14 pm

I made these tonight, with frozen tofu. They are delicious, particularly with the chipotle aioli! I think that I used frozen tofu helped them keep their shape a little bit easier, and I was able to flip them carefully without any disaster. That said, I’ll probably add cornstarch next time to help in the flipping.

This is definitely going to become part of my “company” menu!

89 lea June 6, 2011 at 12:00 pm

These were definitely the prettiest veggie burgers I have ever made – picture perfect! Since I didn’t have ground flax seed, I added some quick cooking oatmeal and about a teaspoon of corn starch. They held together very well, even through turning. I think that next time I will add more garlic and chile powder as they were a bit bland for me. Great Recipe!

90 Sheena August 12, 2011 at 12:49 pm

I’m getting ready to make these, what do you think is a medium sized beet? I have beets that my mom grew and to me they are huge, but I’m not an avid gardener so maybe these are mediums…I would say these beets are about 4 inches across, about the size of softball or a little smaller?

91 SusanV August 12, 2011 at 1:00 pm

I’d say those were large beets! You could probably get away with using 1 large one, maybe 1 1/4.

I hope you enjoy the burgers!

92 Marian Hamilton September 23, 2011 at 10:49 am

Susan, there’s too much sodium in this recipe for me. Is it mostly from the soy sauce? (maybe the nutr. yeast too…) In your opinion, can I eliminate the soy sauce & not forego too much of the yumminess???

93 SusanV September 23, 2011 at 10:55 am

Marian, most of it comes from the salt–129mg. The soy sauce is next with 67mg. The beets themselves have 14mg, and everything else is negligible. The soy sauce adds a little flavor, but mostly saltiness, so you can leave it out if you like. Hope you enjoy!

94 Marian Hamilton September 23, 2011 at 11:12 am

THANKS, Susan! I’ll try making these & use as little salt as possible (tasting as I add salt in 1/8 tsp. doses) & leave out the soy sauce entirely. I want to make them because they’re RED – how FUN for a burger! Can’t wait – I’ll let you know how “you know who” likes them…. :)

95 Keira October 17, 2011 at 6:20 am

Oh my goodness… this was absolutely divine! I am very new vegan and trying out many recipes…. this one is definitely a keeper :)

96 Maria November 28, 2011 at 12:09 pm

Hi, i wanted to thank you for this lovely recipe. Im not vegan/vegetarian and even less fat free at my cooking but, not all things have to be same way :) Good tasty food is the nice in wich ever form it comes.
I wanted to try this recipe cos it has two my favorites, tofu and beets.
Unfortunately, here where i live fresh beets are hard to find, so i used vacuumpacked cooked ones. I think i was too over enthustiac to squeeze extra liguid out, so i had little on dry side mixture so i added small egg and that fixed it. Even my husband who isnt allways so happy with my experiments, liked these. We just tasted one after baking and rest are reserved for dinner this evening and tomorrows lunch. I will make harissamayonnaise to go with these cos chipotles are allso hard to find here :) I will be doing later this week your black eyed pea recipes, thank so much of intresting recipes :)

97 midesire December 10, 2011 at 3:14 pm

Hello Susan,
I am a new vegan and have been eating a semi-vegetarian diet for some time. Your site is great. I made the roasted beet burger today, they are in the oven cooking as I write this. I made a little patty in my fry pan as a sample, delicious!! The mixture was a little wet, but the should be fine when cooked. The taste is so good.
I made your thanksgiving loaf a couple of weeks age. It was delicious also.
I appreciate your site, and the work you have put into it. I find myself going back to your site often, and have recipes in my box that I want to try soon.
Blessings Yvonne

98 Susan Voisin December 11, 2011 at 8:57 am

Thanks so much for your feedback, Yvonne. I hope you enjoyed the rest of the beet burgers!

99 Stacy Hood March 23, 2012 at 7:18 pm

I live only about 80 miles north of Jackson, and I’ve been to the Rainbow and eaten at the High Noon Cafe many times. Though I have not tried your recipe based on the original, I can definitely affirm how great these burgers are at the High Noon Cafe’. My husband LOVES beets so I really need to try this recipe for him.

100 Marie May 19, 2012 at 4:13 pm

Just wondering if you could use canned beets to save on some time?

101 Gwen June 22, 2012 at 11:41 am

your pun reminds me of these shirts I saw on etsy, so funny… “lettuce turnip the beet”!!! http://www.etsy.com/shop/coup?ref=seller_info_count

102 Ann July 23, 2012 at 2:20 pm

I made these for dinner last night and they are delicious! The color makes them fun but the oven roasting makes them so savory and delicious. I’m not a big beet fan but I will definitely be making these again. Thanks!!! :-)

103 moonwatcher September 1, 2012 at 11:28 pm

One of the biggest bummers about having to give up soy for pain management was not being able to make these burgers. Today I had an inspirational breakthrough–I decided to make the recipe with cannelini beans I had cooked. I also added about 1/3 cup of quinoa flakes in addition to the other ingredients, to help with body. I also added some poultry seasoning and a few crumpled up dried mushrooms from the stash I have gathered and dried myself. I let the burger mix chill for a while. They formed up just fine and baked up nicely–and best of all–tasted great! I wrapped mine in a romaine leaf with some tomato slices from my garden and a little dijon mustard. Roasted beet white bean burgers!! I am a happy camper. :)

Thanks for the orginal recipe. I don’t feel deprived of it any more. :)

xo

104 Ainsley June 17, 2013 at 8:00 am

I just made a double batch of these AND your thick and hearty chili. I swear, your recipes have made my whole family happier and healthier. Your site is my only recipe source that I like cooking from now. I can’t thank you enough for passing on the yum to us.

105 Susan Voisin June 17, 2013 at 8:40 am

I’m so happy to hear that, Ainsley! Thank you for letting me know that you and your family enjoy the recipes.

106 shakti August 24, 2013 at 7:34 am

The colour is a little off-putting but the ingredients and having burgers are wonderful – , thank you.
More, more please and could they be fine for freezing, and do they taste good for lunchbox? That is perfection.

107 Lisa September 20, 2013 at 3:36 pm

What is that oozing spread on them? sun-dried tomato aioli? If so is there a recipe for this? Yum!

108 Susan Voisin September 20, 2013 at 4:10 pm

That’s a chipotle mayo–canned chipotles blended with vegan mayo.

109 Kate September 27, 2013 at 6:41 pm

These did not knock my socks off. I usually love your recipes. I wonder if I did something wrong?

110 Tom June 11, 2014 at 8:36 pm

I love your blog and have enjoyed most of your recipes, but this one just didn’t do it for me. Waaayyy too bland.

111 Laura Kiowski September 19, 2014 at 9:09 pm

I loved the roasted beet flavor but we could not get the pattie to hold together at all. I’m thinking the tofu made the burger to soggy. Either cut the tofu altogether, reduce the amount used or substitute another binder. So frustrating all these random comments from people who haven’t even made the recipe yet, they just want to someday in the future!