Thanksgiving Meatless Loaf

by on November 17, 2010

Thanksgiving Meatless Loaf

This is not your mama’s meatloaf.  This is not even your mama’s seitan loaf, tofu turkey, or nut roast.  It doesn’t taste like meat.  It doesn’t even pretend to have the texture of meat. But if you like savory, Thanksgiving flavors so concentrated that you can just skip the gravy and dressing, you will want to give this recipe a try.

I was inspired by the Comfort Loaf in Robin Robertson’s Vegan on the Cheap*, but instead of using vital wheat gluten, oatmeal, and bread crumbs, I decided to make my loaf gluten- and grain-free.  So it’s brown and slightly crispy on the outside like a traditional meatloaf, but the inside is almost as tender as mashed potatoes, partly because it does, in fact, contain mashed (sweet) potatoes.  The heady flavor and aroma come from the holy quartet of fall herbs–parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme–and believe me, they will have you singing!

Thanksgiving Meatless Loaf

*If you’re interested in the original recipe, I highly recommend getting a copy of Vegan on the Cheap, but until then, Amazon will let you search inside the book.

Copyright: Susan Voisin 2010. All rights reserved. Please do not copy recipes or photos to other websites–link instead!

Thanksgiving Meatless Loaf

1 Amanda November 17, 2010 at 6:18 pm

This looks fantastic, and I’d love to add it to my menu. I don’t know what quinoa flakes are, and am not convinced I could find them near me. Do you think I could sub oatmeal? Is there a better sub?

2 SusanV November 17, 2010 at 6:21 pm

I think oatmeal is the best sub. It will probably work fine.

3 Jenna November 17, 2010 at 8:11 pm

Looks delicious. I’ll definitely have to try this sometime, even if not for thanksgiving. Where would you suggest finding quinoa flakes? Whole Foods maybe?

4 SusanV November 17, 2010 at 8:43 pm

I’m sure Whole Foods will have them. Look for them with the hot cereals and if not there try the grain section.

5 Michelle December 29, 2010 at 4:49 pm

I’ve had this dish three times, and it was always prepared with oats in place of the quinoa flakes. It works great!

6 Jordan November 17, 2010 at 6:18 pm

This looks sooo great! I think I will be adding it to my Thanksgiving plans! Thanks so much!

7 Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) November 17, 2010 at 6:35 pm

This loaf sounds fabulous Susan. I am going to my brother’s for Thanksgiving and I think I will make and bring this… There are a few vegetarians coming and my brother called me earlier today worried about what to make for them… I need to call him ASAP and tell him I’ll be happy to bring this loaf. I have a feeling it will not dissappoint.

8 graciela. November 17, 2010 at 6:47 pm

This actually looks pretty good. I still haven’t finalized what I’m going to make for Thanksgiving but I’m putting this on the list!

9 Andrea November 17, 2010 at 6:57 pm

This looks sooo good!
Even though the Canadian Thanksgiving has already passed, I think I will definitely be making this sometime soon. My last attempt to make a meatless loaf resulted in a mushy mess, so I can’t wait to try this!

10 Lindsay November 17, 2010 at 7:22 pm

I once made a thanksgiving style loaf from vegweb, and it was seriously inedible. Like on my list of top ten worst things I have ever cooked. That said, I’ve NEVER made a bad recipe from your blog or website, so I am very tempted to try this as I really do have a thing for savory loaves (they do not have to taste like meat)….

11 Priscilla November 20, 2010 at 3:18 pm

Lindsay, I know what you are talking about with the vegweb loaf! I also made it & it was inedible, I threw the whole thing away. I wasn’t going to make anything this thanksgiving, but I think this is gonna taste amazing. Going to the supermarket right now.

12 moonwatcher November 17, 2010 at 7:31 pm

Oh thank you, Susan–

A tasty looking and sound “meat loaf” that’s gluten free! The combination of ingredients and seasonings is inspired. I am going to try this, definitely, whether for Thanksgiving or otherwise. I will definitely let you know how it goes.

A couple of food chemistry questions–what do you think of letting the mixture “rest” as you recommend for those wonderful roasted eggplant lentil quino burgers? Would it make it any more shapable maybe? And do you think this is too delicate to try and put it in a traditional loaf pan? Just would like to know your thoughts on this, or if you experimented with either of these. No matter what, it really looks and sounds good, and I am going to try it. I think the son coming home for Thanksgiving might like it, too!

xo

13 SusanV November 17, 2010 at 7:55 pm

Hi Moonwatcher! I don’t know if letting it rest would change anything. It’s already easy to shape if you use wet hands (oops, I need to add that detail). The original recipe uses a loaf pan, so I’m sure you could do that. But I wanted something I could place on a platter, not cut in a pan, so I shaped it like my mother always shaped her meatloaf. (Even though this is not my mother’s meatloaf!) Cooking it on a baking sheet also allows more surface area to become browned, which I think improves the texture.

14 Alexia @ DimpleSnatcher November 17, 2010 at 8:04 pm

I might just make this, Susan! I love that you posted this. It looks so so good.

-A-

15 Quinoa November 17, 2010 at 8:16 pm

Yum, I’m going to make this! Looks soooo good for the non-fans of meat analogs! Can I make quinoa flakes out of quinoa somehow? Or not possible?

Also, would lentils be good? Since they are brown, I am thinking. What could I substitute them for?

16 SusanV November 17, 2010 at 8:45 pm

You can grind quinoa, but that will make quinoa flour, not flakes. If you do that, use less than the recipe calls for. You can also substitute lentils for the white beans if you like.

17 Sue November 17, 2010 at 8:55 pm

This looks wonderful! I’m on a bit of a loaf kick lately. I have an allergy to soy, though; any way I could make this without the tofu? What would you suggest?

18 SusanV November 17, 2010 at 8:59 pm

You could try using a second can of white beans, though I can’t promise that the results will be the same.

19 thefarnz November 17, 2010 at 9:03 pm

This recipe looks divine, but the second I see the word “microwave” I leave the sight and am tempted to unsubscibe. PLEASE google the dangers of microwaving before you recommend it. Sorry for the negativity, but the “real” food world needs to know the dangers.

20 SusanV November 17, 2010 at 9:05 pm

I’ve done my research and I’m secure in my opinion that there’s nothing hazardous about microwaves. So we disagree. But didn’t you notice that I offered an alternative to microwaving?

21 Chery September 27, 2014 at 10:44 pm

S/he said the SECOND s/he saw the word “microwave” s/he left the site, so I guess the answer is no, s/he did not see the alternative. :D

22 A November 17, 2010 at 9:36 pm

Looks like another great recipe. I’m excited to try it out. One question though, from a novice cook.. I’ve never used brown mustard before, so it’s not likely I would go and buy a bottle of it just for this dish. Is there a way to enhance the spiciness of yellow mustard that you could suggest? Should I add some chili powder? Or is it not important enough to be of any concern?

23 SusanV November 17, 2010 at 9:46 pm

Just use yellow mustard. It’s such a small part of the recipe that I’m sure it will be fine.

24 natalie November 17, 2010 at 9:54 pm

Can you substitute fall squash ( butternut, acorn etc) for the sweet potato?

25 SusanV November 17, 2010 at 9:58 pm

If it’s cooked and the water is pressed/drained from it, it might work. But squash is usually watery and less starchy than potato, so it’s not my first choice.

26 lisa November 22, 2010 at 7:11 pm

i just made this tonight with butternut squash. it tasted amazing, but i had to cook it an extra 10 minutes – probably because, like Susan said, the higher water content. but then again, i also substituted quick oats for the quinoa flakes so perhaps that was the difference?

27 Cheryl November 17, 2010 at 10:37 pm

This looks so good, I’m definitely going to try this, but maybe after thanksgiving when things are less hectic :) I would suggest to anyone who has time to bake the sweet potato – it creates such a great caramelized sweet flavor that doesn’t need any sugar to achieve. Also I know my local food co-op has the quinoa flakes in their bulk food section, so a store with a large bulk food section would probably be a good place to try.

28 Laloofah November 18, 2010 at 6:41 am

Wow, this looks and sounds wonderful! I’m going to make this soon after Thanksgiving, since I already have our Thanksgiving menu planned – your very own delicious Quinoa and Red Lentil Cutlets have been the centerpiece of our Thanksgiving (and lots of non-Thanksgiving) dinners since you posted the recipe three years ago! And this year we’re having your Oatmeal Cookie Crust for the first time with our pumpkin pie. I love pumpkin pie in a graham cracker crust so was delighted to recently find your fat-free version using oats! Speaking of which…

I’m such a fan of quinoa flakes we buy them in bulk through Amazon, but my first thought was that instant original Cream of Wheat would make a good sub for those who can’t get their oven mitts on a box of quinoa flakes. The suggestion of oatmeal (just rolled oats, either quick cook or regular, I assume) is a less processed and no doubt healthier option, though.

Thanks again for another great-looking recipe! Enjoy a peaceful, lovely Thanksgiving!

29 Brenda W. November 18, 2010 at 7:36 am

Thanks Susan, for another fabulous looking recipe. As Lindsay (7th commenter, above) said, I’ve NEVER had a recipe of yours be anything other than PERFECT and fabulous!!

Since I work thanksgiving (I’m a nurse) and we’ll be doing pot luck, I think this will be an easy, tasty thing to bring!!

Your all time favorite recipe that I’ve ever made for a holiday meals is your Tofu Triangles stuffed with Rice.

30 Stefania (Ingredients for Life) November 18, 2010 at 8:27 am

This truly looks and sounds delicious. I will give this recipe a try. Yum!

31 Casper November 18, 2010 at 8:37 am

Thank you for this recipe, it looks absolutely wonderful. We don’t celebrate Thanksgiving here, but it looks like it could work perfectly for Christmas too. Since I always have a hard time coming up with something interesting for Christmas I was overjoyed to see this. And it’s gluten free too, almost too much to have hoped for.

I do have one little question. Would leaving out the nutritional yeast change the result much? Can I safely leave it out, or maybe there’s something else I could use for a similar result? I have yet to find nutritional yeast anywhere. Even our health food stores don’t seem to have it.

Thanks again for another lovely recipe. This is my first comment, but I greatly enjoy your blog.

32 SusanV November 18, 2010 at 8:46 am

You can just leave out the nutritional yeast. I add it for a little extra flavor, but I doubt you’ll miss it.

33 Robin Robertson November 18, 2010 at 9:33 am

Great idea to make a gluten-free variation of my Comfort Loaf recipe — I’m sure all those who avoid gluten will find this version more comforting! :) Happy Thanksgiving, Susan!

34 SusanV November 18, 2010 at 9:40 am

Thanks for creating such a wonderful recipe, Robin. Your books are always full of the best ideas! Hope you have a great Thanksgiving!

35 Amber K November 18, 2010 at 9:52 am

A meat-free recipe that doesn’t try and taste like meat? YES!!!!!!!!!! :)

36 moonwatcher November 18, 2010 at 10:04 am

Thanks for the feedback, Susan!

I came to a similar conclusion in my musings overnight–that you chose this option because the shaped loaf allows for more browning surface, which is a nice thing. I’ll let you know how it goes when I try it. And yes, wet fingers when shaping is so helpful, too, always. Thanks again for the recipe! I am really looking forward to tasting this. Quinoa flakes are so great to work with. A Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. :)

37 judee@glutenfreeA-Z November 18, 2010 at 10:06 am

I can’t wait for Thanksgiving. I am making this tonight! This looks amazing and so nutritious. I’m new-ish to your site, but am becoming a follower. Great interesting healthy recipes..

38 Kristin (of GF Vegan Munchies) November 18, 2010 at 10:35 am

OH YUM! We have been thinking about the same thing for Thanksgiving. I have been trying to determine my favorite combination for the loaf. I did a quinoa and bean loaf a few weeks ago that needs some tweaking. Thank you for giving us a delicous sounding and gluten free option. I will certainly be referencing this as I build mine. I’ll let you know how it goes. Thanks Susan!

39 Kristi Link November 18, 2010 at 12:13 pm

I can hardly wait to try this. The description and the picture have my mouth watering!

40 Rachel November 18, 2010 at 12:35 pm

mmm!
Meatloaf is one of the things I miss as a vegetarian. I mostly liked the texture though so any loaf that doesn’t taste like meat is fine with me! I’m actually trying to figure out what to make for my first Thanksgiving away from family. This might just be the turkey substitute for me!

41 Jenn of the North November 18, 2010 at 1:33 pm

Oh Susan. You had me at “It doesn’t taste like meat. It doesn’t even pretend to have the texture of meat. But if you like savory, Thanksgiving flavors ….”

This is EXACTLY what I’m looking for to serve my family for Thanksgiving. Thank you for sharing your recipe!

42 Laina November 18, 2010 at 2:27 pm

Susan, this looks so delicious. I’ll post again when I’ve made it. Wanted to ask if it would be just as good with frozen tofu. I have a habit it throwing tofu in my freezer so that it doesn’t spoil before I’m able to use it.

I went to Amazon and this original recipe is not one that can be previewed. Or at least it wasn’t there today. :)

I’m always so thankful for your website and your recipes. Any chance you’ll be doing a cookbook soon? If so, please add pictures. I’m visual and love cookbooks with pictures. As they say, a pictures is worth a thousand words. :D

43 SusanV November 18, 2010 at 2:40 pm

Thanks for your kind words, Laina. I am planning a cookbook, and it will definitely have photos. I’ll be sure to let you know when it’s published.

About the frozen tofu, I hesitate to recommend it because tofu is so grainy after it’s frozen, and I don’t think it will have the binding necessary for this loaf. It may dissolve into crumbs when you try to cut it.

To see Robin’s original recipe, click search inside and type Comfort Loaf into the box. The third result is the recipe, at least when I do it.

44 liz November 18, 2010 at 4:56 pm

this looks yummy! if we dont’ have quinoa flakes can we sub with cooked quinoa?

45 SusanV November 18, 2010 at 5:04 pm

Cooked quinoa won’t have the binding ability of quinoa flakes. I suggest using oatmeal or ground quinoa.

46 Viv November 18, 2010 at 5:52 pm

This really looks good. I would also like to thank everyone else for asking the questions I had in my head. Can’t wait to try this one.

47 Anita November 18, 2010 at 6:02 pm

I definitely want to try this! My question – is there any reason not to use non-stick aluminum foil instead of silpat or parchment on the baking sheet?

48 SusanV November 18, 2010 at 6:12 pm

I can’t think of any! :)

49 DeeDee November 18, 2010 at 7:48 pm

I am drooling at the thought of dining on this delicacy. Spectacular.
I purchased spicy faux cutlets on sale, and they are still in the freezer. The thought of chewing on something that tastes like an animal is, from my point of view, a contradiction in terms. This recipe is perfect. Thank you.

50 Amber Shea @Almost Vegan November 18, 2010 at 8:49 pm

This looks like a great variation on Robin’s recipe :)

51 Kelly Michelle November 18, 2010 at 9:07 pm

holy crap, I need to eat this NOW

52 Colleen November 19, 2010 at 3:52 am

Thank you so much for developing a gluten-free meatless loaf. It can be very frustrating trying to find something vegan and low-fat that doesn’t make use of wheat gluten or breadcrumbs somehow. If I were to use lentils for the cannelini as discussed in the comments above and gluten-free oats for the quinoa flakes, I literally have everything in my pantry to make this—including some nice mushrooms in the fridge for gravy. I’ve been craving a comforting meatless loaf lately, and your timing is just perfect given my desire, current food inventory, and dietary needs :)

53 Lynne November 19, 2010 at 9:29 am

Susan,
The hubby and I were talking one night a couple of years ago, and out of the blue we decided to become vegan. The next day I found your website and we haven’t turned back since! THANKS TO YOU my hubby rants and raves to everyone about what a great cook I am! Your amazing recipes and beautiful photos were so very helpful as a new vegan, and still inspire. I just want you to know that the minute your book comes out, I will purchase copies for all the cooks in the family without even opening the cover. Your recipes have always been that reliable. Thanks again!

54 Brian H. November 19, 2010 at 12:54 pm

Would love to surprise some hearty meat eaters with this one at a Thanksgiving potluck. : )

55 Fiona November 19, 2010 at 2:02 pm

This may seem like a silly question, but is the recipe referring to fresh sage and thyme or dried? It was clear to me with the other ingredients but not with those two. Thanks in advance!

56 SusanV November 19, 2010 at 4:43 pm

I used dried herbs, but if you want to use fresh, use 2-3 times as much.

57 Connie November 19, 2010 at 3:13 pm

I think I just found my Thanksgiving dinner. This looks fabulous.

58 alli November 19, 2010 at 4:09 pm

Hi Susan. I have some herb and spice questions too… I wasn’t sure if you asking us to pluck a total of 1 TBS of thyme leaves off some fresh sprigs, or if we’re supposed to use 1 TBS of dried thyme..
I think rubbed sage is the dried kind?
Also, is the smoked paprika you used the smoked *sweet* kind, or the smoked *hot* kind?
thankx!!
alli

59 SusanV November 19, 2010 at 4:46 pm

Alli, I used dried herbs and sweet smoked paprika.

60 Ana November 20, 2010 at 3:31 pm

Your website is awesome and your recipes even more. This one looks so good, I will definitely be trying it soon!
Ana

61 Diet Minded November 21, 2010 at 3:47 am

WOW this looks so delicious what a great idea for a thanksgiving meal!

62 ciara November 21, 2010 at 7:03 am

I would love to make this for Thanksgiving. Do you think I could make this ahead of time and freeze it? If so, should I freeze it before or after I bake it? I’ll be too busy before Thanksgiving so I would like to make it today if you think it will keep. Thanks in advance!
Ciara

63 SusanV November 21, 2010 at 9:30 am

I think you could freeze it either before or after baking, whichever is easier for you. Baking then freezing will probably save you more time on Thanksgiving; just be sure to get it out of the freezer early enough that it thaws before warming it up.

64 Shilla November 21, 2010 at 11:00 pm

This is delicious! I made this with ingredients I had on hand. Had to substitute with pinto beans, 1T herbs de provence, rolled oats and used one regular potato. It turned out fantastic even with all my substitutions. This is the best meatless loaf I’ve ever made. I didnt even need gravy it was soo flavorful. And I made it in a regular loaf pan and it turned out great.

65 Keri Anne November 21, 2010 at 11:13 pm

I am so excited to try (and share) this! And, I sincerely have never felt that before reading a “loaf” recipe. This looks divine, and your recipes never disappoint. Last year, I worked off your site to make my “meat & potatoes” father Thanksgiving, and he loved it! Thanks so much for your hard work- which looks so effortless by the way- a sign of a true talent!

66 Moodle November 22, 2010 at 6:56 am

I made this loaf this weekend and it turned out amazing. I substituted lentils for white beans, and forgot to buy sage, and it was still mouth-wateringly good. I’ve had trouble with vegan loafs in the past, trying to get them to cook through, but this was a little crispy on the outside, cooked through and moist in the middle, using your baking times. I did top it with your fantastic mushroom gravy. Sides were mashed parsnips and a raw kale salad. thank you!!

67 Czech Vegan in America November 22, 2010 at 2:44 pm

This loaf looks amazing! I will have to try it soon. I already have Tofurky for this Thanksgiving, but I will try your loaf after. I just tweeted this recipe :-)

68 lisa November 22, 2010 at 4:06 pm

susan – excuse my ignorance, but you said you wanted to make a ‘grain free’ loaf. but isn’t quinoa a grain? thanks

69 SusanV November 22, 2010 at 4:16 pm

Hi Lisa–Not ignorant at all! Quinoa is used as a grain, but it’s actually a seed. It’s one of those technical things, like tomatoes being a fruit, but I think the reason it works so well for people eating gluten-free is that it isn’t technically a grain. I think its “seediness” also accounts for its having so much protein.

70 lisa November 23, 2010 at 8:23 am

ahh, kind of like amaranth then. BTW, maybe you could come up with some grand amaranth recipe? i have all this leftover from some odd recipe i tried and would like to use it up on something else.

this loaf recipe is a MASTERPIECE! thank you thank you. my son prefers the more meaty loafs, but for me, this is so perfect. and with your mushroom gravy, divine…

71 Lea November 22, 2010 at 7:41 pm

I made this tonight. I had to blend the ingredients in 3 batches in my cuisinart, and had to add a little water because it got really thick. My first attempt at a loaf – next time I might let it cook more uncovered to get a really crispy crust. I opted for a pack of Road’s End Organic vegan gravy – paired really well. This recipe made enough loaf for a good 14 slices. A good start!

72 Emma November 23, 2010 at 3:31 am

That looks lovely!

I make something very similar, but with almonds and hazelnuts instead of walnuts and no tofu. Sometimes when we want to make it extra festive, we wrap it in some vegan puff pastry (and make some slices on top to let out the steam). That way you don’t need the aluminium foil to keep it from drying out in the oven.

73 Angela November 23, 2010 at 9:12 am

This looks good. Can’t wait to try it!

74 Ms_Min November 23, 2010 at 11:55 pm

What, exactly, ARE quinoa flakes? I’m wondering about the nutritional values vs. regular quinoa, the processing…. Is it better to use this than something else, and is it better to use something else more than this, nutritionally-speaking? I’m not adverse to trying them, I’m just curious about the nutrients.
The recipe sounds terrific. I’m also wondering about the 1/2 1/2 tofu beans thing. Could you do all beans and what would that do to the texture?
Thanks!
Ms_Min

75 SusanV November 24, 2010 at 12:24 am

Quinoa flakes are simply quinoa that has been flattened so that it resembles oatmeal. The nutrition would be the same as for a comparable weight of quinoa. You can see the nutritional info on Purcell Mountain Farms brand here. I haven’t tried all beans in this recipe, and though I think it would have a heavier texture, that isn’t necessarily a bad thing, just different.

76 Simona November 24, 2010 at 9:16 am

Anche in Italia il tuo polpettone vegano è delizioso ;)
Your meatless loaf is delicious in Italy as well ;)

77 Leonora November 24, 2010 at 12:23 pm

Can you please tell me the difference between the regular paprika that you would find in all the stores and smoked paprika.

78 SusanV December 7, 2010 at 10:55 pm

Smoked paprika is made from peppers that have actually been smoked, so it has a distinctive smoked flavor that regular paprika lacks.

79 juleeque November 24, 2010 at 7:53 pm

this sounds so good, but b/c of a digestive problem I cannot combine carbs and proteins. Is there a sub for the sweet potato and quinoa? thx

80 SusanV November 24, 2010 at 9:02 pm

Can you use wheat gluten?

81 juleeque November 25, 2010 at 6:35 pm

yes, I can!

82 SusanV November 25, 2010 at 7:09 pm

Great! Try 3/4 cup of wheat gluten and omit the sweet potato and quinoa. I haven’t tried this, but I think it will work. If it’s too wet, add more gluten, too dry add a little broth or water.

83 Angela in Cincinnati November 24, 2010 at 8:31 pm

Hi Susan — Just made this for tomorrow’s Thanksgiving meal. Thanks so much for always thrilling us with great recipes. Have a great holiday!

84 Sarah November 24, 2010 at 9:00 pm

I bought all the ingredients for this and I’m so excited to make this for Thanksgiving tomorrow!!! It will be a fantastic addition to my family’s “suffering-free” thanksgiving meal!!!

85 KCalla November 24, 2010 at 10:37 pm

We made this today, with your recommended mushroom gravy (thanks for the link). What a fantastic dinner with mashed potatoes (made with vegetable stock and soy milk) and steamed broccoli. The ultimate comfort dinner! Used fresh rather than dried herbs, because we had them. Excellent flavor, texture, plate appeal, everything. Thank you for another wonderful recipe.

86 pb November 25, 2010 at 5:51 am

Hello Susan,

I would like to ask if it is possible to make this without an oven, like in the microwave, or in the absence of that, in some other homemade contraption?

What would you do if you had to make this without an oven?

Thanks..\
pb

87 SusanV November 25, 2010 at 10:50 am

I actually make this (and everything I bake) in a large toaster oven. You could try using the microwave, but it won’t brown, and I’m afraid it might not come out very well. I wish I could think of better options!

88 Karen November 28, 2010 at 1:08 pm

If you have a large oval crock pot, try spraying with nonstick spray and cooking the loaf on high for 3 to 4 hours. the top won’t brown but the bottom probably will.

89 SusanV November 28, 2010 at 1:37 pm

That’s a great idea!

90 pb November 29, 2010 at 2:02 am

Thanks Susan and Karen!

I think a toaster oven is a gr8 idea..probably something I can invest in without too much fuss or investment.

I do not have a crockpot, unfortunately..

i will defintely let you know if I try this and how it comes out.

thanks again!

91 barbG November 25, 2010 at 10:23 am

Happy Thanksgiving. I enjoy your blog and vegan recipes.
BarbaraG

92 Jess November 25, 2010 at 4:43 pm

This was amazing! We had it for thanksgiving “linner.” I did everything normally except subbed oats for the quinoa. The only thing is that I found it didn’t really hold its shape, maybe I didn’t put in enough oats? It was also a lot oranger than your pictures show. So I’m not sure what I did differently. Maybe my oven temperature is off. After it sat for a while, it did seem a bit firmer. It was just lovely and fabulous tasting, and I think we’ll be trying it again tomorrow :)

93 Sheri November 26, 2010 at 8:59 am

We loved this loaf! I used oatmeal instead of quinoa flakes, chopped almonds instead of walnuts (allergies), left out paprika & black pepper (allergies again) and didn’t need gravy. Very flavorful, easy to prepare, very filling. Start with a small slice – you’ll be surprised at how little it takes to fill you up! Thank you for a nice “meatloaf” replacement. Goes well with a baked potato and green beans. Comfy food meal!

94 Fiona November 26, 2010 at 12:06 pm

I made this yesterday for Thanksgiving and thought it was OK. However, my fiance really liked it, so maybe I am just not a loaf person in general. I felt it was slightly undercooked in the middle so maybe next time I’ll cook it a bit longer or less time with the foil on or something. The process of making it was also quite lengthy so it would definitely be a recipe I made just on Thanksgiving.

95 VEGirl November 26, 2010 at 12:28 pm

Hi Susan! Just wanted to say thanks so much for the recipe– we made it for Thanksgiving dinner yesterday! Yummy! For some reason ours was a bit on the mushy side, but the flavor was out of this world. So wonderful!

VEGirl

96 Kim November 26, 2010 at 3:34 pm

This is SO yummy!! I made it for Thanksgiving with this gravy: http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/vegetarian-gravy/Detail.aspx

It heats up really well and has wonderful flavor. I didn’t have quinoa flakes, so I used rolled oats and it turned out moist, flavorful, beautiful, and made my house smell amazing. Thank you so much! This will be our new Thanksgiving centerpiece!

97 Kim November 26, 2010 at 3:38 pm

Oh, I also subbed kidney beans for white beans and thought they were a good addition. Black beans or garbanzos probably wouldn’t be as good. You need a “mushier” bean. Lentils may also be yummy.

98 Leslie Paquette November 26, 2010 at 4:26 pm

Should I press the water out of the tofu or just pat it dry? Not sure if the extra moisture from the tofu is needed. Thanks.

99 SusanV November 26, 2010 at 4:35 pm

I didn’t press the tofu or even pat it dry, really. I just poured off the water and dumped the tofu into the food processor without even touching it. It provides much of the moisture of the loaf, so pressing it could cause dryness.

100 Leslie November 26, 2010 at 5:23 pm

Oops! I pressed it for about 10 minutes but just saw you responded back. I added about 3 Tbs of water back into the mixture, hopefully about what I squished out of it. I’ll let you know how it turns out. It smells delicious and I’m just about to start the mushroom gravy to go with it. There wasn’t much at Thanksgiving the I could eat besides the Brown Rice Salad I brought so I’m making this for my husband and I tonight. Thanks!!!

101 Kelly Michelle November 26, 2010 at 7:16 pm

Ok, so I just made this and holy wow, it is AMAZING. It reminds me of crunchy stuffing, soooo good. I will be making it for Christmas. My Mom is vegetarian and I have a vegan friend coming as well so I know it will be appreciated. I actually topped it with this recipe which is mushroom soup but made an excellent gravy:

Thanks for another amazing recipe!

102 Leslie Paquette November 26, 2010 at 7:21 pm

Glad I added the water back in. It came out a perfect moistness and I followed the cooking time exactly including letting it brown an additional 5 minutes at the end. This was very filling and the mushroom gravy really added a lot to the dish. My meat loving husband really enjoyed this delicious vegan dinner. I serving it with a big side of green beans. Thanks again for another great recipe!! I will definitely make this again. Any serving suggestions for the leftovers?? I was thinking maybe a sandwich or just reheat for dinner again tomorrow.

103 SusanV November 26, 2010 at 7:34 pm

Glad it worked out for you! It does make a good sandwich, especially if you slice it and then heat it in the oven or toaster oven to let it get a little crispy.

104 Leslie November 27, 2010 at 9:05 pm

Thanks!! It reheated great tonight, but I still have enough left to make a few sandwiches.

105 LINDA November 27, 2010 at 11:14 am

Hi! I made this for Thanksgiving hoping to share it with family that are not vegan. Even tho I followed the recipe exactly I found it gummy and tasted somewhat like moldy drywall from an 80 year old house.

Have no idea what I did wrong or if the combination just didn’t work for me.

106 SusanV November 27, 2010 at 11:29 am

Wow, I don’t know what to say other than…you’ve tasted moldy drywall? ;-)

107 rachel November 27, 2010 at 5:41 pm

this was sooo good! it was my first try at making an entree, much less a vegan entree, and turned out wonderfully. it kind of tastes like stuffing and i still have so much left over. wonderful with homemade cashew gravy, too (:

108 Andrea November 27, 2010 at 10:32 pm

This loaf just may have made it’s way into our family Thanksgiving tradition. Only three of us are vegetarian, but everyone really enjoyed it. I prepared the mixture the night before, refrigerated it overnight in a Tupperware bowl, then turned it out next day onto the baking sheet and basically just smoothed it into a loaf shape.
I used quick oats instead of quinoa flakes & omitted nutritional yeast (didn’t have any on hand). Otherwise followed the recipe. Baked it a tad too long, I think, as it was just a bit dry; my fault I’m sure & I’ll know next time. Leftovers reheated next day were delicious. I served it with veggie/onion gravy. YUM!
I always experiment with a veggie “main dish” for Thanksgiving but think I will stick with this one, thanks!

109 ReneeLynn November 27, 2010 at 10:39 pm

I made this for the family dinner and it turned out really well..almost tasted like stuffing to me! I added a little bit of vegetable stock to the food processor to give the tofu more flavor. This was my first time making this recipe and I’m really glad I decided to go for it! I passed it on to a couple friends and I’m sure they will try them soon.

110 Lesly November 29, 2010 at 7:41 am

This was a huge hit at our Thanksgiving meal among vegetarians and carnivores alike! I made the recommended mushroom gravy as well, and my husband said it should come out of a faucet – it will be a regular at our house. Thanks!

111 Gena November 29, 2010 at 1:58 pm

Genius, Susan! I’ve never had much luck with vegan loafs, but this may be a life changing post for me!

112 Elli November 29, 2010 at 3:24 pm

Great recipe indeed! and eating it the following day was even more delicious than the first day!

113 Heidi November 30, 2010 at 4:01 pm

Thank you, thank you! I have never, ever left a comment on anyone’s blog, but this recipe was so good I just had to! My daughter has followed your blog for years, but I happened upon it just a month or so ago. She was pretty impressed that I found the blog, and that I wanted to try the Meatless Loaf for Thanksgiving. And we were all so impressed with the results. It was voted delicious, by vegans and meat-loving teenage boys alike. It has so much protein and so much flavor – amazing! And I suggest trying it crumbled into leftover mashed potatoes. Very yummy. Thank you, again!

114 Angie November 30, 2010 at 5:50 pm

Made this for Thanksgiving. It was really good. A little more work than I expected. Next time I will make sure to have all the spices pre-measured and maybe mash up the beans ahead of time. Will definitely make again.

115 kathr9n December 1, 2010 at 11:17 am

I made this for Thanksgiving and enjoyed it very much. I finished the last of the leftovers last night. Thanks for making my holiday yummy!

116 Maddie S December 2, 2010 at 4:31 pm

This recipe was a delicious addition to my Thanksgiving table. And..it was even better the net day. Thanks so much.

117 Mary December 2, 2010 at 5:52 pm

Delicious! I tried this recipe yesterday and am eating the leftovers right now with some mushroom gravy . The only thing I need to do differently next time is to make the loaf a little flater, it was so fat in the middle that I had to cook it for almost an hour before it started to harden.

118 Katherine December 2, 2010 at 6:59 pm

Due to food allergies, I wonder what I could substitute for the following items:
(1) cannellini beans (or other white beans) >> would green beans or corn work?
(2) quinoa flakes
I am okay with soy/tofu but am allergic to chickpeas so am leary on eating the other types of beans. I’ve had green beans without a problem though.

Thanks :-)

119 SusanV December 3, 2010 at 8:02 am

The beans help hold the loaf together, so I’m afraid green beans and corn wouldn’t be good substitutes. If tofu is okay, you could just use a second package of it instead of the beans. If you can eat oatmeal, you could use it instead of the quinoa flakes. Good luck!

120 Katherine December 5, 2010 at 8:13 am

No, I can’t eat oatmeal; I am allergic to wheat and the wheat family.
Any other idea for that?

121 SusanV December 5, 2010 at 10:20 am

How about more sweet potato or a yukon gold potato?

122 Ben Roberts December 2, 2010 at 8:02 pm

This was fantastic. I subbed Rolled oats for the Quinoa because I can’t seem to find it… and I trew in some Bok Choy because my Celery was a bit under the weather. Hit the spot – I’ve been craving something meatloaf-like for ages!

123 Raquel December 3, 2010 at 2:52 pm

I made this for Thanksgiving and it was so yummy delicious! Since I am the only vegetarian in my family, needless to say, I was eating this for lunch and dinner for three days in a row. But It tasted so good I just didn’t want it to go to waste! Thanks for giving me a vegan recipe that is not supposed to taste like meat!

124 moonwatcher December 3, 2010 at 9:33 pm

Just wanted to let you know my son and I made this together on Thanksgiving and it was wonderful! Across the miles in southern Idaho, my son’s girlfriend made it as well. We all loved it. It was great as leftovers, too. Thank you!!

xo

125 heidi December 7, 2010 at 1:29 pm

Hi,
I love your site and make recipes from it often–thanks! I made this one last night, and I’m still trying to figure out what went wrong. It went together fine, although it was definitely on the wet side. I just double-checked the ingredients, and the only substitution I made was oatmeal for the quinoa flakes. However, we cooked it over 1.5 hours and it’s still mushy (“raw” seeming) in the middle.

Others seem to be having lots of success, though. Wonder what I did wrong??

126 SusanV December 7, 2010 at 2:10 pm

Heidi, all I can think of is that tofu can differ widely from brand to brand. Even extra-firm tofu can have different moisture and softness levels. Since the tofu provides most of the moistness of the recipe, I’m guessing that that’s where the problem lies. I’m sorry you had a bad experience and I hope it won’t keep you from trying some of my other recipes.

127 Elizabeth S. December 7, 2010 at 11:42 pm

This was a tremendous success! When my picky 10 year old walked in the house he immediately said, “What’s for dinner, it smells amazing!”. And my obnoxious 18 year old who refuses to eat dinner unless there is some meat involved knew right away it wasn’t “real meat” but ate two helpings because it smelled so good and said… are you ready for it… “That wasn’t half bad.” Real praise in deed!

I had all the ingredients on hand, so didn’t need to deviate from the recipe one bit. I was a bit worried it would be too “mashed potato” like in the center and wouldn’t appeal to my picky, manly, meat eaters. So I decided to add 2 Tablespoons of raw sunflower seeds along with the walnuts and 1/4 cup of steel cut oats to add to the chewy texture. I don’t know if chewy is really the best word for it, but the center was not mushy at all and the flavor was fantastic. I will be making this again, and often.

I served this with steamed green beans, tossed with slivered almonds, and a homemade cranberry-apple-pear chutney that complemented the loaf beautifully. It felt like Thanksgiving all over again, but better! Thank you so much Susan for this fantastic recipe.

128 Krissy December 9, 2010 at 5:36 pm

This looks sososo delicious! I am definitely going to making this for our solstice feast! My parents aren’t vegans, but they enjoy tasting my new recipes (or so they say). Looks like a winner:) Thanks for all your lovely tasty recipes!

129 Glenda December 12, 2010 at 4:42 pm

I gave this a try and it was fabulous! I couldn’t believe it when I opened the oven door and it was so brown and perfect, just like a meat loaf. I had to give it a longer time to cook than recommended. Just make sure the center is firm and the top is nicely browned and crunchy. I purchased my quinoa flakes at Walmart in their Mexican area. They add to the appearance of the meatloaf with their tiny white specks… This is truly worth a try. It does not taste like meatloaf but sure does look like it. Mine turned out moist, not dry and I will be making it again for Christmas. I stuck to the recipe and didnt alter a thing. I made a mushroom gravy to go with it. My husband liked it too.

130 Sarah December 16, 2010 at 12:38 am

I was just wondering if this can be frozen when it is all put together but not yet cooked?

131 SusanV December 16, 2010 at 7:55 am

I haven’t tried that, but I can’t think of a reason why it wouldn’t work. Just be sure to defrost it thoroughly in the fridge before you bake it.

132 DeeDee Bridgewater December 17, 2010 at 12:12 pm

Hi Susan`-> Just got around to making this great comfort food recipe;
a great make ahead dish for Christmas Pot Lucks which is exactly what popped into the oven after our first steaming test loaf came out. I substituted coconut flour which I happened to have and increased the amount to a little over one cup instead of 3/4, since I added one large sauteed fresh minced red pepper. Also, because this recipe is bursting with pungent savory flavors, our family agreed that home made organic ketchup fit nicely with added sweetness as a topping. For pot lucks, I will make a sweet/sour sauce too. Susan, we are so grateful to have you online.
Merry Christmas to you and your family, and thank you for your gifts throughout the year of joyous vegan dishes. Don’t forget to have a healthy and happy New Year.

133 Miriam December 21, 2010 at 1:19 pm

This looks fabulous and seems to cut well too, which sometimes can be a problem with these loaves particularly because they are egg-free. I will probably serve this with steamed veges and crunchy roast potatoes.

134 Lizabet December 22, 2010 at 4:22 am

Very tasty and worth the prep time. Followed the recipe exactly but could not get it to “firm up” even with additional cooking time. Perhaps my oven is not up to temp? My husband saved the day with his suggestion to slice and then broil the individual slices. Next time I will make two smaller loaves.

135 Emma December 28, 2010 at 11:46 am

Just wanted to let you know that I made your loaf for xmas and really enjoyed it. I made it as the recipe but subbed quick oats for quinoa flakes. I didn’t really have time to let it sit ten mins after cooking so it was a bit soft but I had more for lunch the next day and it had firmed up nicely. I didn’t realize it would make so much! Not that I mind of course, leftovers in the freezer for lazy days :)

136 nicolav December 28, 2010 at 7:37 pm

This was absolutely delicious! (And much healthier than what the omnivores were eating Christmas day). Will definitely be trying some more of your recipes.

137 Karen December 29, 2010 at 12:49 pm

I made this loaf for christmas dinner along with your mushroom gravy and green bean casserole (that I had also made for Thanksgiving). After 20 years of not eating meat and only having the side dishes at holiday meals, this is the first time I had a main dish to enjoy while everyone else was eating the turkey. All the dishes turned out awesome. Thank you for sharing your wonderful recipes!

138 Michelle December 29, 2010 at 4:45 pm

Thanks so much for this recipe! I’ve made it twice now and I think it’ll become one of my favorite standby dishes. I’ve always loved lentil loaf, but this is so tender and flavorful compared to any lentil loaf I’ve ever made. Excellent recipe, and a real crowd pleaser too.

139 Bert January 9, 2011 at 2:28 am

This looks fantastic. I have been vegetarian since last January so this Thanksgiving was my first without turkey, and I must say it was less than impressive. I have decided to vegan (very recently) and came across this blog. Let me say, you are a Godsend. I look forward to trying this recipe ASAP…forget thanksgiving!

140 kirsty wellcoat January 14, 2011 at 12:16 pm

Hi again, this is the link for Paul McCartney competition.. think a meat loaf would be good too.. Kirsty x

141 SusanV January 14, 2011 at 12:21 pm

Thanks, Kirsty! I’m taking a look at it now.

142 SusanV January 14, 2011 at 12:25 pm

Oops, I live in the wrong country. It’s for U.K. residents only. Oh well.

143 samantha January 17, 2011 at 8:49 pm

This was so fantastic! I ended up getting a softer tofu by mistake, so the result was a slightly crunchy outside with a fluffy yummy inside. Made the mushroom gravy with vermouth and rosemary, and it was also fantastic! add the chocolate covered cherry pudding cake, and i’m soooo happy and full and ready for bed way too early. the perfect winter dinner after working in the freezing cold today! thank youu!

144 kifar January 22, 2011 at 2:30 pm

Hi…. how do you come up with the “nutrition facts” and the “points”? Is there some type of program to figure all this out? I would like to take some of my simple recipes and figure out what is going on. P.S. I took this loaf to a Thanksgiving pot luck and it was a HIT!!!!!

145 SusanV January 22, 2011 at 2:36 pm

Glad to hear you liked it! To get the nutrition facts, I use a program called Living Cookbook. If you go to http://www.livingcookbook.com, they usually have a free trial offer so you can try it for 30 days.

146 Sonia February 3, 2011 at 1:46 pm

I made this for Christmas(I know, crazy long time ago) and it was delicious. Very easy to put together and came out great. Like some others have said, it tasted a lot like stuffing.

FYI- I formed it, refrigerated it and baked the next day. I think there was a question about that so thought I’d help:)

147 Get Skinny, Go Vegan. February 28, 2011 at 8:58 pm

YUM!!! A GF vegan meatloaf!! Do you eat gluten yourself?? Looks like you have lots of good GF recipes.

148 Natalie March 1, 2011 at 8:28 pm

Oh,… yum.
We just finished nomming this & it is so very delicious. We couldn’t even bring ourselves to put any sauce or gravy on it and soil the perfect balance of flavors. (It was moist enough, anyhow.)
I do not normally comment, but I have tried & loved so many of your culinary creations. Please, never ever stop. This is def going on my regular rotation recipe list. Much too good to save for the gluttonous holiday.

I am thinking of trying it in eight patty forms sometime, as well, just to get more browning surface. How much do you think that would change thw cooking time?

Anyway, another excellent recipe! Many, many thanks.

149 SusanV March 1, 2011 at 9:42 pm

I’m so glad you liked the recipe! I think if you made it into burgers, you could probably cut the time in half. Please let me know how it comes out if you try.

150 Camila April 23, 2011 at 6:46 pm

I love this recipe! I had problems the first time because the loaf wouldn’t cook in the middle so I improvised and made meatballs out of it. This time I actually put it in cupcakes baking cups and it worked really well. The presentation was great too (with a bit of gravy on top). Thanks Susan!

151 Caitlin May 23, 2011 at 9:51 pm

Just had this for dinner :) It was delicious, my mom thought it tasted like traditional thanksgiving stuffing. Thank you so much for the recipe! This was my first entree I made from your site and I can’t wait to try more! I subbed out the nutritional yeast and used oats instead of quinoa flakes and it turned out very yummy! But it was on the mushier side, we didn’t mind it, but I’m just wondering for future reference, what could we do differently to firm up the loaf?

152 SusanV May 23, 2011 at 9:55 pm

I would add more of the oats–that should firm it up. Thanks for the feedback!

153 Natalie July 24, 2011 at 2:40 am

This was absolutely disgusting; a waste of valuable food, time and money.

154 Caroline July 25, 2011 at 11:10 pm

Thanks for the recipe- I made this last night for a Christmas in July dinner here in Australia and it was absolutely delicious.

My only substitution was parmesan cheese for nutritional yeast (as I couldn’t find it after going to 4 different sotres). We had this with mashed potato and roast vegies and it was YUM!!

Do you think this recipe would also work w/ curry powder and fresh coriander instead of the other herbs and spices?

Thanks,
Caroline

155 Emanuelle July 26, 2011 at 4:19 am

This faux meatloaf looks delicious. I’ve tried making one before with mung beans but it tasted awful. I’m going to give your recipe a go and I’m sure it will taste much better! Thanks -Emanuelle

156 Cathy Guy September 28, 2011 at 11:30 am

Susan,
I love your recipes!

Just had a question, I just recently started Weight Watchers, and am happy that
you list the points after most recipes. Are they the new Points Plus or the older
points value system? I am not strictly vegan, but I prefer it and there aren’t many vegetarian/vegan recipes on the WW site.

Thanks much!
Cathy Guy

157 SusanV September 28, 2011 at 11:39 am

Thanks, Cathy! I switched over to the new Points Plus during the past year, but this recipe seems to have been posted before I made the switch. The Points Plus on the recipe with the walnuts is 8.9 and without the walnuts is 7.5.

158 miri October 5, 2011 at 7:24 pm

If i can’t find quinoa flakes what can I use ? could i substitute with breadcrumbs?
Thanks,
miri

159 SusanV October 5, 2011 at 7:29 pm

I’d use quick oatmeal. If you use breadcrumbs, you may need a little more.

160 georgina0912 October 25, 2011 at 11:39 am

Hello Susan, i am new to your blog but i have been increasingly looking for fat free vegan recipes thanks to a good “fat free” friend who always forwards your recipes to me. I am a vegan just not a fat free one, but i am getting there.

Last night i made this meatless loaf, followed the instructions and got incredible flavor, but i had to leave the loaf in the oven for about an hour to get it crusty on the outside and it never got firm on the inside. It is mushy. What do you think happened? I think i would like to bring this recipe to a thanksgiving get together with meat eaters but i want to blow their socks off…i want them to think “this is better than the bird.”

What did i do wrong? Why did i get a mushy loaf?

Thanks!

161 SusanV October 25, 2011 at 11:56 am

I’m sorry to hear that it was mushy! I can’t be sure what happened, but it’s possible that your tofu or some other ingredient had more moisture than mine. If you make it again, try draining the tofu well (even squeezing it out in a tea towel if you can) and add a little more quinoa flakes. You could also try cooking it as two smaller loaves rather than one big one–that should help it cook all the way through.

162 georgina0912 October 25, 2011 at 1:23 pm

That makes sense. I usually squeeze my tofu but i did not this time and that may be it. I will also cook small loaves instead of a big one next time.

Thank you!

163 Red October 26, 2011 at 5:48 am

Hello Susan..I hope the Autumn finds you well? I just wanted to stop by and thank you for this recipe. I finally tracked down Quinoa Flakes here in England and I made the loaf last night. I’ve posted a pictorial blog about the loaf today with links straight here for the recipe and to your site in general. I hope you stop by and check out the photos?

All the best ~Red~

164 Jane Shakman October 27, 2011 at 10:10 am

Your recipe calls for extra firm tofu. I have 2 packages of firm tofu in the frig. Do you think I can use those?
Jane

165 SusanV October 27, 2011 at 10:22 am

Yes. Unless they’re small packages, you’ll just need one. Press it or squeeze it to get out as much moisture as you can before using it.

166 carrotstixx November 13, 2011 at 5:00 pm

That looks so delicious and the ingredients don’t require all the work of the seitan prep. Question: Do the “calories from fat” listed include the optional walnuts?

167 Susan Voisin November 13, 2011 at 5:19 pm

If you look closely, there are two sets of nutritional stats: the first includes walnuts, the second doesn’t.

168 Rita November 17, 2011 at 12:03 pm

I am SO making this for Christmas dinner. I can taste it already! Thanks as always for the inspiration! I LOVE your blog.

169 Wendy (Healthy Girl's Kitchen) November 22, 2011 at 7:18 pm

Susan-I’m doing so well on time with everything that I am preparing for the holiday that I think I need to add this loaf to our menu! But I don’t dare go back to the grocery store the day before Thanksgiving and I have used up all of my sweet potatoes. What do you think would happen if I used a white potato? Thanks! Wendy

170 Susan Voisin November 22, 2011 at 7:22 pm

I think it will be fine! I’m a big proponent of not going to the grocery store unless absolutely necessary. ;-) I hope you enjoy it! (I’m envious of your planning. Despite my good intentions, I’ve put off all the cooking until tomorrow.)

171 Wendy (Healthy Girl's Kitchen) November 23, 2011 at 5:55 am

Thanks for your quick reply Susan. Have a wonderful holiday! Your sweet potato casserole and string bean/mushroom thingie will be gracing our table this year. I’m so excited!

172 Wendy (Healthy Girl's Kitchen) November 24, 2011 at 10:06 am

It’s in the oven right now-put it into a 12 muffin baking tray to get the maximum amount of surface area. Wish us luck!

173 Meg Hansen November 23, 2011 at 7:34 am

Can I use plain rolled oats instead of quick oats? I am cooking our feast with only the ingredients I currently have (giving thanks for a full pantry!) and I don’t have quick oats. My vegan husband is sure to love this! Thanks for the lovely loaf ideas- also trying your double layer pumpkin-cheesecake. I cannot wait :)

174 Megy November 23, 2011 at 9:35 pm

I just found your website. It’s amazing, thank you. I am a vegan wanna-be. I am not quite there yet, but, with your help, I can prepare some delicious protein rich food for me and my husband. I’ll try the meatless loaf recipe. I am a bit confused about sweet potato x and yams, though. Which one is better, the firm or the soft variety?

175 Shirley December 5, 2011 at 9:09 am

This loaf was fantastic. I was road testing some recipes for Christmas dinner and after making this yesterday my search is over as this is going on the Christmas table this year. It has a great texture and the flavor was amazing. I was even thinking about wrapping it in puff pastry to add to the splendor. THANK YOU.

176 Mina December 20, 2011 at 12:51 am

I have made many of your recipes before and loved them all, and I was hoping to make this one for our christmas day celebration! However, there will be so many dishes that I have to prepare on the day of christmas, so I was wondering if you think it would be okay to make the entire mixture, and simply wait 24 hours to bake it?

177 Susan Voisin December 20, 2011 at 7:16 am

I haven’t done that, but I can’t see any reason why it wouldn’t work.

178 renee December 23, 2011 at 10:23 am

Can you pre-mix and cook the next day?

179 Susan Voisin December 23, 2011 at 10:34 am

180 Sheesh January 2, 2012 at 12:28 pm

I made this for Christmas dinner, my sister found your recipe in our local paper. It was so tasty, thank you! My mom and sister liked it better than stuffing and I used it as my main as I am the vegetarian in the family. The spices are perfect btw, tastes like Christmas :)

181 Susan Voisin January 2, 2012 at 1:24 pm

I’d really like to know what paper you saw it in, but thanks for letting me know.

182 Sheesh February 1, 2012 at 2:58 pm

Sorry I didn’t respond yet! I think it was in the Langley times? Or the Langley Advance? Here in Langley, BC Canada :) I’ll ask my sister if she still has the clipping to be sure.

P.S. I absolutely love your site and can’t wait to cook my way through it. You have a great balance of health, comfort foods and classics.

183 Jean January 3, 2012 at 11:24 pm

I am trying to save the Thanksgiving to Meatless Loaf to My Recipe Box but there doesn’t seem to be a link for that. The loaf looks scrumptious!
Jean

184 Susan Voisin January 4, 2012 at 7:59 am

Jean, can you see the link on other recipes? It should be right at the top. If not, it could be your browser, so if you can, look at it in Firefox, which is what I use. Also, once it’s in your recipe box, the link changes to “Remove From Recipe Box,” so maybe you’ve already saved it.

185 Becca J March 26, 2012 at 2:48 pm

Thank you so much for the recipe. I made meatloaf Sammies out of the loaf and it was so very yummy!

186 Leah & Whessel May 9, 2012 at 10:37 pm

Susan dear, thank-you so much for sharing this lovely recipe. Me and my partner enjoyed it thouroughly tonight alongside a nice bottle of wine! … & we discovered the wonderful versatility of nutritional yeast. We look forward to more Susan recipe nights to come :)

187 Alana September 7, 2012 at 4:41 pm

Hi Susan, thank you so much for this recipe. It was so easy to make and my goodness, so delicious to eat! It was even great to eat as a cold lunch the next day. Funnily I broke my food processor trying to make this because, stupidly, I didn’t chop the firm tofu small enough. Was well worth the breakage. :-)

188 Susan September 17, 2012 at 8:39 am

This was outstanding! Made it last night. Didn’t have quinoa flakes – ended up using corn meal. Was so delicious. Really enjoyed it – thank you! It made a huge loaf – do you think I can freeze the leftovers?

189 Susan September 17, 2012 at 8:40 am

Oh – forgot to mention – I had made your mushroom barley soup, too – didn’t make the mushroom gravy but I spooned a bit of the soup over the loaf – yum!!!!!

190 deb September 18, 2012 at 6:12 pm

Made this tonight! It was awesome! It will definitely be a keeper recipe. Thank you!

191 Janet October 11, 2012 at 2:11 pm

Hi! This recipe looks DELICIOUS! However, I am trying to stay away from a lot of soy and wondering on if you have any thoughts on something else I could use for that light, fluffiness that soy gives. Thanks!!

192 Hannah {The Erohs} October 19, 2012 at 8:08 pm

I’ve made this recipe twice and both times it came out very wet and mushy in the middle. I read others reviews saying theirs came out cooked all the way through but mine just seems to heat up in the middle but stay…well, mushy. Am I doing something wrong?

By the way, I love your blog and have made several of your recipes. My hubby is gluten-free and its sometimes difficult finding good gluten-free recipes. Yours are always a hit!

193 Ron March 25, 2013 at 6:13 pm

I made this for the first time last night and mine turned out mushy too – like thick peanut butter. Loved the flavour but the texture was awful and couldn’t be sliced. It did turn out to be a nice spread for breakfast toast this morning though and I’ll have again on sandwiches for lunch today and again tomorrow (my family wouldn’t eat so I have plenty left).

Any suggestions such as bread crumbs or something to give it a chewable texture please?

194 Susan Voisin March 25, 2013 at 6:23 pm

Sorry about that. I don’t know exactly why some come out mushy and others don’t, but I suspect the moisture content of the beans differs. You could try increasing the oatmeal or quinoa flakes or adding bread crumbs.

195 Constance November 1, 2012 at 6:24 pm

I volunteered to bring the main dish for my 4 y/o son’s pre-k class thanksgiving celebration. There are 12 kids. I need a loafy or faux turkey kind of thing that is healthy but that the kids will like. I’m trying to introduce homemade vegan food to the kids when it’s our turn to bring snack or contribute to a potluck. I don’t want to turn them off! I made Pumpkin Oat Muffins from Nava Atlas’ Let them Eat Vegan for Halloween and they loved them. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Constance

196 Jessica November 13, 2012 at 11:51 am

I made this as a trial run for possible thanksgiving centerpiece. Now, before making this I had NEVER had ANY kind of loaf before, meat or veggie. I wasn’t sure I would like it. And I admit, while making it I was kind of freaked out. The processed tofu mixture scared me! The flavor of this ended up being pretty good though! I made two smaller loaves because the mixture was a LOT and I was worried about it cooking in the center. Mine never did brown up as beautifully as Susan’s, and I think I might have dried it out a little bit, but it still tasted good. I added the optional walnuts and wouldn’t if I made it again. If you’re a fan of walnuts go ahead, but I found the texture distracting amidst the rest of the loaf. I’m not sure I would make this again, but that’s because I’m not sure if I am a loaf lover, period, not because of this recipe. It was easy to put together and the flavors were great. I didn’t make the gravy but wish I would have, and I served with a side of mashed potatoes which were a must.

197 Patty November 14, 2012 at 9:42 am

Do you have any suggestions of what to replace the tomato paste with? THis sounds wonderful but we can’t do tomatoes.

198 Susan Voisin November 14, 2012 at 9:50 am

Just leave it out. It only adds a little flavor. If you want you can increase the soy sauce, but it probably won’t be necessary.

199 Lee November 14, 2012 at 8:40 pm

I made this loaf for our vegan potluck last Thanksgiving and I’ve been racking my brain for what to make for this get together. I’ve decided that it was so scrumptious we deserve to have it again only this time I’ll make two since we ran out last year. Anyone who is looking for a full of taste special main dish for TG need look no further. This is the bomb!

200 Tamra November 23, 2012 at 10:22 am

I made this loaf too! I think I minced the veggies a bit too much- which may have taken away from the texture. One of the herbs was a bit over-powering for me. Really good though. Will make this again!

201 JoAnn November 23, 2012 at 11:12 pm

WOW!
I made this for our very traditional thanksgiving dinner for the 3 vegans. It completely disappeared because all the turkey eaters gobbled it up! I used oats because it seems like they haven’t heard of quinoa flakes here in Israel. I served it with Cosmopolitan Cranberry sauce and it was really yummy.

202 Todd November 27, 2012 at 2:17 pm

Susan….this was absolutely delicious! I don’t know how you come up with some of these recipes but this one was truly inspired. It has some of the flavors of really good stuffing and the texture of a meatloaf but it is absolutely in a class by itself. Bravo on this one. Love!

203 Chris November 29, 2012 at 11:34 am

Thank you so much for the meatless loaf! This will be our very
first vegan Christmas ever! I am 60 years old! It tastes like
stuffing and is so delicious.

Question: Can I make the ‘batter’ and leave in the fridge and
then bake it on xmas day? That way the outside will be crunchy.
A must for my converting to vegan son and daughter in law.

204 Susan Voisin November 29, 2012 at 11:36 am

Yes, I think it would be fine to make it ahead of time. You might need to cook it longer, though, or allow it to come to room temperature before baking. I hope your family likes it!

205 Chris January 9, 2013 at 9:05 am

Susan, it worked beautifully. I opted to bring it to room
temperature before baking. It is a staple in our house now.

Please spin your magic and give us more options for loaves.

With health issues and needing oil free vegan recipes, you
are exactly what we need.

Thanks so much.

206 Lauren M December 10, 2012 at 4:36 pm

I made this for Thanksgiving this year and absolutely fell in love with it. I couldn’t eat enough of the loaf. I ate it cold without anything on it: it tasted delicious. I put it on a sandwich: even more delicious. I think it only lasted me three days and I wouldn’t let any of it go to waste on my my meat-eating family. I ate the whole thing except for the three pieces my family ate on Thanksgiving.

207 Jenna December 14, 2012 at 9:08 am

Just wanted to say I made this last x-mas and really enjoyed it. I think your method of cooking would have browned it more on the outside (I used a loaf pan) but it was still awesome. I love your blog and all the recipes I’ve tried so far have come out great! Keep up the fantastic work.

208 Sarah Clark December 29, 2012 at 3:33 pm

I made this for Thanksgiving this year and couldn’t get enough of it! I was sad when it was gone, lol. My kids all tried it and liked it (though they focused on the non-vegan fare I’d made them).

I’m using this recipe as a base to make a huge batch of veggie patties today that I can freeze and use as I need them. I’m adding eggplant and zucchini I need to use up from my Bountiful Baskets order, and I’ll be adding brown rice just because I like it. :) I’ll have to adjust the cook time for patties, of course, but I’m so excited to make them. We’ll see how many actually make it into the freezer and how many we can’t help but eat right off the pan. :)

209 Chris January 9, 2013 at 9:01 am

Yes please do MORE loaves! Our first ever vegan xmas
was with this meatless loaf. Tastes like stuffing, and is
amazing with home made cranberry sauce.
I would adore many more loaves. One afternoon
of cooking, and instant suppers since the portions freeze
so well.
Thank you so much!!

210 Shannon January 25, 2013 at 3:18 pm

I know this post is a couple years old, but I just made it today and wanted to tell you how wonderful it is. Before baking I mixed in some cooked wild rice. I truly appreciate the high nutritional value and uncompromised good taste that this dish had. Not to mention, the texture was fantastic – hefty enough to be satisfying.

Way better than any ground meat loaf I had growing up!

211 Laura January 30, 2013 at 8:21 am

Susan, I printed this off a few years ago but finally made it last night. It was so good I almost cried on the first bite. Thank you for a recipe that truly soothed my soul last night, in the dead of winter.

212 Susan Voisin January 30, 2013 at 8:31 am

Laura, thanks for letting me know how much you enjoyed it! Your comment just made my day!

213 Nikki February 19, 2013 at 3:48 pm

I made this for the first time at Christmas 2012. I’ve made it twice more since then. I follow the recipe as printed only changing up the minced veggies based on what I had. I. Love. It. I live alone and it makes about eight to ten meals! I wrap the leftover slices individually and freeze them. I brown the thawed slices in a frying pan (no oil) and I think they taste even better. Thank you, Susan. It’a fabulous recipe.

214 Mary April 15, 2013 at 3:14 pm

I have made this meatless loaf so many times in the last few months. People who are not vegan all love this, and I can eat it endlessly. It even makes good sandwiches as left overs ( if there are any!)
Thanks!!

215 Usha September 20, 2013 at 12:33 pm

I am planning to make this…small question…is rolled oats ok instant of quick? Or will that stick out too much in texture in the meatloaf? If so, I was thinking of pulsing it in the food processor to break it up a bit. I have a giant Costco bag of the stuff, so reluctant to get more, esp. the sort I don’t usually eat… Your advice would be much appreciated!

216 Susan Voisin September 20, 2013 at 1:45 pm

I think if you break it up in the food processor, rolled oats will be fine. Hope you enjoy it!

217 Usha September 23, 2013 at 1:14 pm

will do…thanks!

218 Usha September 24, 2013 at 2:00 pm

Ok…so here’s my review. It was truly delicious (and healthy…because I knew exactly what went into it!). I did keep it in the oven longer…but it never felt quite done enough to cut neatly. However, it was a learning attempt, and I’m thinking next time…add some more oats, maybe even roasting them a little first? Also, I would love to know what kind of tofu you use (I used the firm one from Costco…by House Foods). The Mushroom Gravy was gorg…wouldn’t change a thing…who knew gravy could be that good without butter or milk? Thanks Susan!

219 shannon calvert September 29, 2013 at 7:56 am

Hi, I am wondering if you have ever frozen this loaf and how it compares to freshly made. Also how you reheated it. Thanks

220 Susan Voisin September 29, 2013 at 9:10 am

Sorry, I haven’t tried freezing it. Maybe someone else has and will answer your question.

221 jen November 17, 2013 at 12:38 pm

What, if anything, can you sub for the tofu?

222 Susan Voisin November 17, 2013 at 1:46 pm

You could try using more beans or sweet potato.

223 suzanne gariepy November 18, 2013 at 3:58 pm

Your vegan recipes look wonderful!!! I look so forward to try your recipes for Thanksgiving and Christmas! I’m allergic to wheat, dairy, gluten… who knows what else… I’m more sensitive to a lot of foods as I’m older now. Plus I’m a diabetic. Type 2. Thank you for sharing your recipe! :)
Suzanne Gariepy

224 Shellie November 20, 2013 at 11:17 am

Hi. I made this last night as a test before next week’s Thanksgiving dinner. I know I don’t have the best oven in the world and had to do some turning of the pan halfway through, but the outside ends were much browner, the center mushy, the entire bottom burned, and all the insides, even the ends, are like a pate’. You can’t slice it like meatloaf. It just falls apart. I followed the directions to a ‘T’ with no substitutions, so I’m not sure what happened. We are still having what I cooked (but not for Thanksgiving). It is flavorful, and my husband had it in a bowl with ketchup last night, but as of today it’s a spread on the Ezekial tortillas. I was so frustrated after all the work involved.

225 lauri November 20, 2013 at 5:39 pm

ok, made this and love it…my sons girlfriends parents are coming for thanksgiving…they are vegetarians…will be making it…thank you…

226 Pam November 21, 2013 at 11:25 am

When you say “sweet potato”, I assume you don’t mean a yam. I’ll look for a sweet potato at the supermarket, but sometimes they don’t have them. Would it work with a yam instead?
Is it okay to make it a day or two beforehand and reheat it?
Thanks,
Pam

227 Susan Voisin November 21, 2013 at 11:45 am

Hi Pam,

There is so much confusion over the terms “sweet potato” and “yam.” To be completely accurate, there are almost never any true yams in American grocery stores, outside of those that specialize in African and Asian produce. True yams are larger and look and taste nothing like what we Americans think of as a yam. So it’s sweet potatoes that we mean, though sometimes they are mislabeled as yams. Anyway, it’s the orange-fleshed, sweet-tasting tuber that I mean, whatever you call it. :-)

This casserole is perfect to make ahead and reheat or to assemble ahead of time and then bake right before serving.

228 Jack November 24, 2013 at 9:35 am

My wife and I made this last year for Thanksgiving and it was excellent! But now we are reading over the recipe and we are confused about the tofu. Is it the water packed tofu rather than silken tofu. We think we used silken tofu last year with still excellent results but when we read the comments, it sounds as if we were suppose to use water packed tofu. Which is it? (Or maybe we are remembering wrong too.) Thanks!

We cannot say enough about how much we liked this recipe last year. As new vegans, it made our Thanksgiving much better.

229 Susan Voisin November 24, 2013 at 10:59 am

Jack, I used regular, extra-firm water pack tofu, which I think makes it firmer than silken would. But if you used silken before, why tamper with success? :-)

230 Jack November 29, 2013 at 6:46 pm

We opted to use the water packed tofu and it was excellent once again! Susan, thanks again for a great recipe (one of many).

231 Judy November 24, 2013 at 10:30 am

Hi I was wondering if you can freeze this? Thanks

232 Susan Voisin November 24, 2013 at 11:00 am

I haven’t frozen it, but I think it would do just fine.

233 moomoo November 24, 2013 at 11:42 pm

I made this with substitutions to make do with what I had on hand and it is delicious! Crispy crust but still somewhat paté-like inside. After reading the comments I suspect this in part because I added a small baby beet, my veggies may have added up to slightly more volume than in the recipe, and perhaps I over-processed the veggies (they were minced quite small).

I used Whole Foods extra-firm tofu and am glad I gently pressed it. I also used rolled oats gently processed in food processor to make “quick oats” instead of quinoa and before baking wondered if the mix could use more oats. So next time I would just add a few more oats.

The flavor is awesome (I used fresh thyme and oregano, as well as extra garlic and a little cayenne to taste). I might cut the salt in half as my tamari is very, very salty. I cannot imagine eating the loaf with gravy as the flavors really popped and stood on their own. The beet gave it a reddish color that some might feel approximates meat (or corned beef) a little too well, but since the loaf tastes great I would use it again next time!

234 Amber November 25, 2013 at 11:10 am

I would like to bake this in muffin tins for easier serving at an office party. What cooking time would you recommend?

Thanks! :)

235 Susan Voisin November 25, 2013 at 11:20 am

Haven’t done it, so this is just a guess: Cover them with foil and cook for 20 minutes. Start checking every 5 minutes to see if they are hot and firm in the centers. Then remove the foil and give them a couple more minutes if necessary to get a little crispy.

236 Uli November 28, 2013 at 2:48 pm

hi susan,

we’re celebrating thanksgiving on the 8th of december as our schedules wouldn’t allow, here in germany, one german, one american and one irish… so we wanted the make this loaf, and my question is: can i replace the quinoa flakes with millet flakes? (it needs to be gluten-free) i don’t know if i can get quinoa flakes here, will have to search for it.

thanks for your help and thanks for these fabulous recipes!
uli

237 Uli November 28, 2013 at 2:49 pm

ps happy thanksgiving!!

238 Susan Voisin November 28, 2013 at 2:57 pm

Thanks, Uli! I think millet flakes should work just fine.

239 Marie S. November 28, 2013 at 7:57 pm

hello Susan V.,
can the tofu, be substituted, with a non soy, product ?

240 Emma Hobbs November 29, 2013 at 11:38 pm

Hi! My name is Emma and I’m a Gluten Free and Vegan cook, culinary student, and baker! I absolutely loved this loaf and made a version of this and another soy free version for Thanksgiving. I wanted to feature the adapted version on my new blog but of course wanted to get your permission first!

Thanks and talk to you soon!

Emma

241 Tom November 30, 2013 at 11:33 am

This is such an amazing recipe. I have made it every year since Susan created it. So tasty and again in 2013 its DELICIOUS!!!!! I just love it. I put a mushroom gravy on it and I just love it. Thanks Susan. YOU ROCK!!! :-)

242 M. Brown December 7, 2013 at 8:00 pm

Two questions. One, do you think I could make meatballs from this or would they be too small to hold their shape? And two, I often freeze firm tofu. I find it changes the texture to a “meatier” feel and it crumbles nicely for chilis and sloppy joes (to better hide it from the hubby). Would that work in this or does the tofu need to be smooth?

243 Susan Voisin December 8, 2013 at 2:35 pm

The tofu is helping hold this together, so my suspicion is that frozen tofu wouldn’t hold together as well. On the other hand, it might make it have a chewier texture, but the only way to know is to experiment. As for meatballs, again, I’ve never tried, but I don’t see why not. This is a very moist loaf, though, so the texture might not be what you’re looking for.

244 Courtney December 19, 2013 at 3:18 pm

Do you think this could be baked in a loaf pan rather than shaping into a loaf? Thanks.

245 Kate December 21, 2013 at 11:08 am

I made your Thanksgiving Meatless Loaf for my son for Thanksgiving. He is a gluten free vegan. I made two and brought them along for him. Now, mine did not look exactly like yours (he ate them straight from the pan), but he loved it and ate both. He said it was completely delicious. Thank you so much!

246 C Smith May 11, 2014 at 2:43 pm

I am fairly new to this vegan world. My wife and daughter are vegan and I have recently gone vegetarian(baby steps) to be supportive. I was extremely dissapointed in this recipe for one reason only. It didn’t make enough!!!!! OMG this recipe is litterally to die for. The taste is absolutely amazing. I am currently making a double batch now for Mother’s Day at my wife’s request. The double batch is so I can feast on this all week. It did take some extra time as we have also turned to a local, natural, organic, gluten free family, thus I had to soak the beans. Being as I am the cook in the family, I have become frustrated with many recipes (not from this site) that have taken considerable time to prepare, only to disappoint. It could be because I’m a bit of a perfectionist in the kitchen. Regardless of my faults, THANK YOU. This is an absolute must try for everyone.
Keep up the great work on the recipes and I look forward to reading/preparing more of them.