Creamy Vegan Broccoli and Rice Casserole

by on November 21, 2011

Vegan Broccoli and Rice Casserole

Thanksgiving is just three days away, and I don’t know where all my time went. Well, actually, I do know how I used some of it: making this casserole, twice, to get it just right so that if you decide to include it in your holiday meal, you can be sure it will work. And it will! It’s my new favorite dish, though my family won’t allow me to make it for Thanksgiving because they just had it twice in the same week. But that shouldn’t stop you from putting this delicious yet nutritious casserole on your holiday table.

The standard broccoli-rice casserole usually contains white rice, chicken, cheese, and sometimes cream cheese, so the nutritional benefits of the broccoli get lost in a sea of cholesterol, simple carbs, and fat. Even vegan versions often contain Daiya or some other high-fat, processed vegan cheese, but not mine. There’s no cheese at all, and the only fat comes from seeds and nuts, which you can even leave out if you want.

The first time I made the casserole, I used chickpeas and some Lotus Foods Madagascar Pink rice (a swag-bag gift at Vida Vegan Con). It’s a quick-cooking, lightly milled rice that looks almost red when it’s cooked, as you can see in my photos. The second time I made it, I used ordinary brown rice and soy curls instead of chickpeas, and if I were going to serve this to non-vegans, that’s the combination I would choose. It’s not an elegant dish, but then again, neither is stuffing or sweet potato casserole. It’s the kind of rich, comfort food I look forward to at Thanksgiving–without all the fat and calories.

So what are you serving? I’ll be traveling to my parents’ house with a green bean casserole, a double-layer pumpkin cheesecake, and a still-undecided protein dish (timbales? baked tofu? seitan cutlets?) with mushroom gravy. My mother will be handling the rest of the meal, which will include her cornbread dressing, my lemon pie (made with home-grown lemons), and, I hope, cranberry relish. It will be a feast of family and food! I hope your holiday is just as happy.

Vegan Broccoli and Rice Casserole made with Madagascar Pink rice

1 Katie November 21, 2011 at 11:53 am

If you were to replace the chickpeas with a bean (I’m just not a fan of chickpeas), is there any type in particular you can see going well with the rest?

2 Susan Voisin November 21, 2011 at 12:06 pm

I would use any bean that won’t fall apart easily. I think white kidney beans would probably be a good neutral flavor.

3 Angela November 21, 2011 at 1:24 pm

Does one serving equal-one cup of casserole?
Thank you Susan!!!

4 Susan Voisin November 21, 2011 at 1:29 pm

Hi Angela–I didn’t measure it, but I think a serving would be closer to 1 1/2 cups. These are really main dish servings, so if you use it as a side dish, you would probably have 8 smaller servings.

5 Sharlene November 21, 2011 at 2:14 pm

For those of us who aren’t vegans (but LOVE your site and the recipes) can we use the same amount of no-fat milk, or should we change the amount? Thanks!

6 Maggie November 21, 2011 at 2:35 pm

I’ve made many of the recipes here with dairy ingredients with varying levels of success. Sweet baked goods usually turn out fine, but I’ve found that creamy or “cheezy” sauces are best made with soy or other dairy-free milk. Hope this helps!

7 Shannon November 21, 2011 at 2:56 pm

Would wild rice work as a substitute to the brown rice?
Thanks for another awesome low fat recipe

8 Susan Voisin November 21, 2011 at 10:32 pm

I wouldn’t use all wild rice. It absorbs liquid differently and has a different texture so the amount of sauce might be off. I think a combination of brown rice and wild rice would be good, but I wouldn’t recommend just wild rice.

9 Jill November 21, 2011 at 5:05 pm

I made this tonight and it was delicious! As an afterthought, it might be good over a baked sweet potato or stuffed in acorn squash instead of mixed with rice. I may do this for my dish on Thanksgiving. Thanks for the great recipe.
~Jill

10 Susan Voisin November 21, 2011 at 10:34 pm

When we have stuffed baked potatoes, I serve them with chickpeas, broccoli, and a sauce much like this, so you’re right on target. I never thought of doing the same thing with a sweet potato or acorn squash, but that should be good, too.

11 Selina November 21, 2011 at 6:35 pm

This makes me wish I had broccoli right now. But I am totally getting some broccoli soon.

12 Erin November 21, 2011 at 8:12 pm

Hi Susan!

Thanks for another wonderful recipe idea – your blog is my favorite – I have loved every recipe of yours that I have tried. I will be bringing your EXCELLENT green bean casserole to my carnivorous in-laws again this year – they loved it and requested I bring it again!

Hope you and your family have a wonderful holiday!!

13 Laloofah November 22, 2011 at 7:51 am

This looks delicious, and we love all the ingredients so will definitely have to give this a try. What a great gig it must be, to be a member of your family and therefore an automatic FatFree Vegan recipe tester. :-) (Not to mention the lucky recipients of home-grown lemons!)

Wishing you and yours a very Happy Thanksgiving, Susan!

14 GetSkinnyGoVegan November 22, 2011 at 10:09 am

Looks delicious!

15 Becky November 22, 2011 at 7:27 pm

I made this tonight. I was trying to stretch it out to feed my family of six (three of them growing boys) so I added a little bit more rice and broccoli and added a package of tempeh bacon with the chickpeas. I was worried that there wouldn’t be enough sauce with my additions so I added some mozzarella-style Daiya. Anyway…it was super yummy and I’m sure the leftovers will be great. My son asked if I was making it for Thanksgiving too because it tasted like a Thanksgiving dish. So you nailed it there I think! :)

16 Lorne Marr November 23, 2011 at 4:39 am

This meal looks absolutely delicious. So sad I missed this recipe for Thanksgiving. I am going to prepare it for tomorrow with white kidney beans, so I will let you know how it tastes. L.

17 Sheena November 23, 2011 at 11:04 am

Do you think I could double this and bake in a 9 x 13 dish?

18 Susan Voisin November 23, 2011 at 11:05 am

19 meredith November 24, 2011 at 6:46 pm

i made mine in a 9×13 and it was fine (or whatever a lasagna dish is)

20 vittoria November 23, 2011 at 11:31 am

i will try :-)) i always follow your recipes ,
a fan from Italy!

21 Erika Driver-Dunckley November 23, 2011 at 1:13 pm

This looks like a great recipe! I cant wait to try it!!! :)

22 Theresa November 23, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Wondering if you think bulgur would work in this instead of rice? I’m out of rice and there is just too much snow outside to go anywhere!

23 Susan Voisin November 23, 2011 at 3:34 pm

I think any grain should work here, so no need to go out into the snow!

24 Leslie Paquette November 23, 2011 at 9:56 pm

This looks delicious! I am missing a few ingredients so plan to make it next week after the holiday craziness. Happy Thanksgiving!

25 Torwen November 24, 2011 at 3:29 am

What a yummy recipe! I love the idea of just putting the sauce ingredients into a blender instead making a roux and making a kind of bechamel sauce. Looks much more time saving :) I will have to try this. Thanks for posting.

26 Phoebe November 24, 2011 at 5:02 pm

I made this last night and it really was delish. A definite keeper, especially since I usually have all the ingredients on hand. Thanks for perfecting it!

27 meredith November 24, 2011 at 6:46 pm

this was really good! thanks for sharing!

28 Karen November 24, 2011 at 8:50 pm

We made this, as written, for Thanksgiving today. What a hit! Everyone loved it. This will become a regular at our house. Thank you for testing, perfecting, and posting this. I also made the Impossible Vegan Pumpkin pie . Wonderful.

29 Miriam November 25, 2011 at 8:08 am

I made this for Thanksgiving. Did not tell family it was vegan. They had no idea and still ate it! Love your recipes!

30 Martha November 25, 2011 at 6:15 pm

Oh man! Can’t wait to try this! Hope your Thanksgiving was grand! We had a great meal at our local vegan restaurant in Tucson -Lovin Spoonfuls. Thanks for your efforts!!

31 Jen November 25, 2011 at 6:38 pm

I made this for Thanksgiving and didn’t tell anyone it was vegan. It was delicious and even better today!

32 Nicole November 27, 2011 at 7:58 am

This is delish! I’m very new to vegan cooking/eating so am scouring the web for new ideas. Made this last night but with some edits – added mushrooms because I had some to use up. Also only used 1 cup almond milk, added some water to thin out the sauce. No nuts, no tahini, no celery. And I used brown jasmine rice because that’s what was in the kitchen! A tasty, vegan comfort casserole!!

33 Lynne November 27, 2011 at 9:02 am

Okay this is a two thumbs up recipe. Made it last night and loved it. Thanks so much

34 urbanvegan November 28, 2011 at 12:04 pm

Looks wonderful, Susan. I am trying to work more healthful recipes into my vegan repertoire….pretty hard for a hedonist like me, but you are helping me take my baby steps :)

35 Rebecca @ Naturally Healthy and Gorgeous November 28, 2011 at 12:19 pm

So delish looking and with so many healthy ingredients!

36 Theresa November 28, 2011 at 4:03 pm

Can the nutritional yeast be skipped? It’s seems really pricey.

37 Susan Voisin November 28, 2011 at 5:07 pm

It’s a major part of the flavor, so I don’t recommend skipping the nutritional yeast. If you can find it in bulk, you can buy enough for this recipe very cheaply.

38 B'klynHeart November 28, 2011 at 4:34 pm

I was sick, and my husband made this for us last night because he knew I’d wanted to try it… oh, it was fabulous. Such a hearty, tasty treat (and I’d been really hankering some broccoli too). Thank you so very much!

We do have a question on the recipe! When would one add the almonds? Before, during, or after the 20 minute bake? Or is that up to the person?

(To note: He wound up doing it before the bake, which made sense to him… I worried about over-cooked almonds, but they came out fine with 1 or 2 at most just south of “cajun”.)

39 Susan Voisin November 28, 2011 at 5:04 pm

Oops, I didn’t realize that I had left the almonds out of the instructions. I added them before baking, too. I’m glad you enjoyed it!

40 Tree November 28, 2011 at 6:00 pm

This dish was delicious. Very savory and comforting. The sauce tasted cheesy, which was an added bonus. And it looked just like your photo. Thanks over the years for helping me to be a satiated and healthy vegan!

41 Alexandria Lewis November 28, 2011 at 9:16 pm

Making this tomorrow :-) thank you very much!

42 Marilou Garon November 29, 2011 at 5:43 pm

I am in shock…. I don’t know what took over me to try this on a whim tonight, because I actively dislike nutritional yeast! But I’m so glad I did, because this is fantastic! Thank you so much, I’ll be purposefuly searching your recipe archives for others that contain nutritional yeast :) All the best from Montreal.

43 Angie November 29, 2011 at 7:13 pm

This is one of the best dishes I have made from your blog. It was awesome. Thank you! Added a little crushed red pepper and didn’t use any tahini. My boyfriend just said he wishes there was just one more bowl left. We will make it again for sure.

44 Hawai‘i Leah November 30, 2011 at 1:51 pm

This casserole looks amazing! I cannot wait to try it! Thanks for posting!

45 Sarah November 30, 2011 at 8:43 pm

I am scared of nutritional yeast. Hold my hand and tell me it will be okay? Also, where do you find it?!

46 Susan Voisin November 30, 2011 at 10:56 pm

It will be okay! See my post about nutritional yeast for everything you need to know: http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2011/10/what-the-heck-is-nutritional-yeast.html

47 Lacey December 1, 2011 at 2:30 pm

Yummo! My family loved this. :)

48 csteph December 1, 2011 at 9:50 pm

I just made this for dinner tonight, and thought it was quite tasty. We thought it would benefit from more liquid in the recipe, though, so I think next time I might double the sauce. I think I’ll add a couple more things to it (artichokes? more peppers? olives?), but it’s a good basic recipe to be creative from. However, there’s no way on God’s green earth that it only needs 10 min prep time! It takes me that long just to chop the broccoli! But still – I’ll try it again and see if I can streamline it a bit, because the essential flavour was good.

49 Katie December 6, 2011 at 8:17 pm

I’m in total agreement…this took quite awhile to make, counting the brown rice cook time, veggie prep, sauce making, broccli steaming, sauteing. I think I used every pot and pan and blender I own! I also felt it was missing something….artichokes might do it. I only added half the thyme and so glad because I could really taste it. My 3 yr old gave this a thumbs down….because of the extensive prep I prob won’t revisit!

50 Veggie V! @Veggie V's Vegan Adventure December 3, 2011 at 8:40 pm

This dish was amazing! I seriously don’t think I’ve ever made any of your recipes that I didn’t like. We must have very similar pallets.

I did make a few subs and switches to match what I had on hand, but wow! Great dish!

I kept the mushrooms, but used sauted kale and roasted asparagus for the other veggies, and I used wild rice instead of brown rice (less calories), and I doubled the cheeze sauce. Mmmmmm!!!!!

I usually freeze my left overs, and this reheated beautifuly; I ate my last frozen serving for lunch today. Looks like it’s time to make another batch :-)

51 Joy December 4, 2011 at 6:29 am

Okay, making an attempt at more vegan meals, this one ended up in the trash and we ended up finding something else to eat… I think it is due tot the sauce, probably not used to that amount of nutritional yeast in a recipe. I would smell/taste the sauce before pouring it over the lovely rice and veggies to make sure you like it first. It just didn’t work for us at all. We ARE finding many palatable recipes in the book The E-2Diet…these recipes feed firefighters from Texas and so far My family has found them very enjoyable.

52 Becca December 6, 2011 at 3:09 pm

Delicious and so adaptable! The thyme is what does it :) My husband topped his with a bit of tomato sauce, which was nice too!

53 Christina December 7, 2011 at 11:03 am

That looks like a great holiday dish!! I don’t make much casseroles but this looks delish.

54 Rachel December 13, 2011 at 10:49 am

Made this recipe last night for me and my boyfriend and it was great. My (non-vegan) boyfriend even had two heaping servings of it, so this will definitely be a keeper! We did add extra cayenne pepper, but we like things spicy. Bravo!

55 Michelle December 13, 2011 at 3:32 pm

I made this for myself and family for supper. We all found it a bit bland like it was missing something so we all added a couple of handfuls of Daiya Chedder shreds and everyone gobbled it up. Next time I think I might add some to it while it is baking.

56 Michelle December 13, 2011 at 3:34 pm

I forgot to mention I used Quinoa instead of rice.

57 jessica mccann December 16, 2011 at 12:54 pm

This was one of the best recipes I have made it a while. Thank you for sharing. However, it is impossible for me to follow any recipe to a T, for whatever reason. I ended up doubling the amount of peppers, celery and broccoli for a more veggy-ful dish. I also doubled altered the sauce as well, because I love the way a cashews add to the “cheesey” flavor of nutritional yeast, although it does add fat. My boyfriend looked at it and said it looked like it was “not his style” (meaning it was too healthy) but we ended up fighting for the last bowl the next day :) Thanks again for sharing it. This is by far my favorite vegan blog :)

58 BlueKarma December 19, 2011 at 11:09 am

This was so delicious. I was out of celery so I tossed in some sliced fresh mushrooms. I also kept the sauce a little thin so that it would thicken up nicely when baking. Mr. Omni, who was been eating every vegan dish I give him without whining (bless his heart), immediately said “put it on the keeper list!”

59 Tricia December 22, 2011 at 6:39 pm

Made your creamy vegan broccoli and rice casserole today for a Christmas work carry-in where NO ONE is vegan. It went over pretty well I thought and *I* loved it! I did sub Trader Joe’s Beefless beef, one pkg, for the chickpeas. I couldn’t find soy curls locally and this seemed like it would make it go over better with meat eaters! LOVE IT! Thanks so much for this website. I am making your pumpkin cheesecake, lemon pie, green bean casserole, and carrots for Christmas! :)

60 Jenna Z December 28, 2011 at 2:51 pm

This was SO GOOD! It tasted just like the cheesy broc and rice casserole we used to make which was full of cheese and canned soup, EWWW! This was SO delicious and way better for everyone!

61 Karen January 2, 2012 at 6:27 pm

Made this the other day. We both really enjoyed it. Had 1- 1/2 cups of cooked brown rice and cooked white beans (navy beans) so that is what I used. There was plenty of rice and just the right amount of sauce. I also didn’t blanch the broccoli which worked out fine, it was crisp tender which is the way we like it. This made a lot especially for two older adults so next it I will half the recipe. Thanks.

62 Bess Hochstein January 5, 2012 at 1:36 pm

Can you please explain a bit more what soy curls are? The link is just to the product, which does not give a good description – are they meant to be pasta-like?

63 Susan Voisin January 5, 2012 at 1:41 pm

They’re a meat substitute. They’re a little chewy and do a good job of replacing chicken in recipes. If you’re familiar with TVP, these are like a less-processed version. They contain all the fat of the original soybeans and taste less artificial than TVP.

64 Jenn January 6, 2012 at 1:46 pm

This looks so amazing and healthy, but I don’t have nutritional yeast on hand. Is there anything I can substitute for it? I really want to make it for dinner tonight!
Thanks!

65 Susan Voisin January 6, 2012 at 1:52 pm

It’s going to lose the cheesy flavor without the nutritional yeast, but you could try making it and adding some extra seasonings instead. I wouldn’t exactly recommend that because NY is such a big part of the flavor.

66 Urszula Humienik January 7, 2012 at 6:43 am

I made this for Christmas dinner. It was delicious, and we’ve made several variations since. Thanks for the great recipe. Our family loves your site.

67 Randi January 10, 2012 at 2:03 pm

made this last night and was a big hit – super easy and super delish. thank you for yet another keeper

68 Denise Cordero January 10, 2012 at 8:14 pm

Dear Susan, I have enjoyed many of your wonderful recipes!! Thanks!! This is the latest I’ve tried. My husband and I both eat FF Vegan. He absolutely LOVED this one and so did I.

69 Michelle January 14, 2012 at 6:02 am

Hi Susan, I’m a huge fan of your blog, have posted just once a few days ago but didn’t introduce myself.

I went from omni to vegetarian about 9 months ago and now follow an 80% vegan / 20% vegetarian diet. I’m an Aussie living in the Philippines and dining out (on business) even as a vegetarian is tough! So I really appreciate your blog, it’s the only one I follow and I love all your recipes. I try not to eat processed food, don’t like any of the meat substitutes and follow the principals of ETL as much as I can.

This recipe took me about 10 mins just to assemble the ingredients – probably about 30 mins total prep time. I’m not a fan of nutritional yeast at all but was inspired by such positive reviews! When I poured the sauce over, I was sure this would end up in the bin – the smell of the NY was so strong! But it tasted great – I could still taste the NY but I really enjoyed the texture and “heartiness” of the dish. It was very satiating. I added some chopped spinach, mushies and some of my favourite spices.

Keep the recipes coming and well done on running such a successful and much appreciated blog.

Michelle

70 Michelle January 14, 2012 at 6:05 am

…..also I threw in a little bit of wild rice, and used hemp milk, which I like better than soy. It was delish!

71 Susan Voisin January 14, 2012 at 8:12 am

That’s sounds delicious! I’m so glad you liked it.

72 Liane January 14, 2012 at 9:55 pm

I made this tonight with unsweetened almond milk (don’t use soy too often), 1/2 cup of raw soaked cashews in the sauce in lieu of cashew butter) and it was incredible!

73 Brandie February 11, 2012 at 9:27 am

Hi Susan! This looks really good and I plan on making it. Do you think I would be able to make this and freeze it? Or do you think it would be dry?

74 Susan Voisin February 11, 2012 at 9:32 am

I haven’t tried freezing it, but I can’t see any reason why it wouldn’t work.

75 Brandie February 13, 2012 at 7:41 am

Perfect! Thank you for responding. I made this dish this weekend and it was delish!!!! Just makes too much for on person :) My family cant stand the smell of NY, therefore are unwilling to try it.

76 Adam February 13, 2012 at 4:00 pm

Just made this and it was great! Thanks!

77 Marianne February 18, 2012 at 11:24 am

I tried this recipe and it did not taste great for us, I don’t know if it is the taste from the nutritional yeast.

78 Pnoob February 27, 2012 at 7:02 am

YUM! Made this for my house of 15 people tonight and it was loved by everybody, even the non-vegans. And it’s gluten free!

I doubled the recipe and used two things of tofu instead of chick peas and a tad less brown rice. It all fit nicely in a 9×13 glass pan. I was worried that there would not be enough sauce for both batches, but once I added it, everything came together so nicely. The sauce is really yummy too and could stand on its own. It could work well if used to douse a bowl of macaroni or a steaming baked potato. I ended up adding a good bit of extra salt at the end.

The nice thing about this recipe is that I can make it the night before and pop it in the oven when I get home from work. And it’s super easy to prepare. People love it because it’s hearty and warm and filling. What a wonderful meal for a cold Wisconsin night!

79 Olivia Rose March 6, 2012 at 12:52 pm

I made this last night and it was fabulous! I added cremini mushrooms which I thought went very well. Also I ran out of rice, so I used orzo pasta instead. It was perfect! Thanks!

80 Tigerseye March 11, 2012 at 4:01 pm

This is just so yummy! I made this for the second time over the weekend and it was a big hit with everyone. I did add a little bit of sweet chilli sauce for the families taste buds, but along with your cauliflower and sweet potato soup, I see them hounding me for this again in the not too distance future.

Thanks :)

81 Jenny March 11, 2012 at 7:23 pm

This is DELICIOUS! I am a first timer to your site and if any of the other recipes are like this (and I am assuming they are by the looks of ‘em) I am hooked. Thank you for a marvelous dinner. Cheers!

82 Jessica March 21, 2012 at 8:48 pm

This is so good!!!!

83 veronica April 10, 2012 at 6:00 pm

how much water do you use for the brown rice and how long do you cook it for? Mine turned out mushy :(

84 Susan Voisin April 10, 2012 at 6:12 pm

I cook my brown rice in a rice cooker and follow the manufacturer’s instructions (about 1 1/2 cups rice and 3 cups water). It usually cooks for about 45 minutes. Was the whole casserole mushy or just the rice?

85 Veronica April 16, 2012 at 5:16 pm

I think what happened is that i followed the manufacturer’s directions and it called for too much water. I’ve cooked brown rice before but it had been such a long time that i had to look up the directions. I remembered the cooking time just not the water amount. So i had to cook it longer than 45 minutes since there was still water at the bottom of the pan.Which resulted in the rice being a big mushy ball. It was hard to mix it with the other ingredients which just turned everything into a much. Despite all that it was still absolutely delicious! Instead of slivered almonds i grounded mine and sprinkled it on top. Learnt my lesson! Next time I’ll get the rice right!

86 Sian April 16, 2012 at 6:14 am

I’ve been vegetarian most of my life, but my husband and I became fat-free vegans after he suffered a cardiac arrest/MI/5-way CABG (statistically less than a 1% survival rate for this type of event, but he’s back at work and doing great!) in November of 2011. It’s been a hard transition for him–diet-wise, and in several other ways, besides–but your blog has helped enormously. While we’ve tried and enjoyed so very many of your recipes, I had to comment on this one, as it is truly outstanding! It can stand up to various substitutions and tweaks depending upon personal taste and ingredient availability, keeps and freezes extremely well, and isn’t obnoxious to put together. The sauce is *amazing*–just incredible over baked potatoes, pasta, quinoa, steamed vegatables, and even over scrambled tofu for a vegan version of eggs benedict! Thank you so much for this, and all of your recipes–they are lifesavers in the truest sense of the word!

87 Theresa May 7, 2012 at 12:40 pm

I just made this and it was delicious! (I didn’t change anything except for omitting the sherry which I didn’t have on hand and replacing the mustard powder with a 1/2 tablespoon whole grain Dijon mustard.) My husband is usually not the most enthusiastic about vegan recipes, but he loved this one! Keeper!

88 Lisa June 13, 2012 at 4:08 pm

I’d like to make this ahead of time by a few days and bake it as the last step – on the day of. Will it go bad? Thanks for the info on nutritional yeast. It really is kind of tasty. Who knew!

89 Susan Voisin June 13, 2012 at 4:24 pm

Keep it refrigerated and I think it should be fine. Enjoy!

90 Shari June 19, 2012 at 6:09 pm

I made this the other day and while my boyfriend and I thought it was fairly tasty, we both agreed it needed a bit of an extra “kick” as it was a bit too bland for us. We followed the recipe exactly and would definitely make it again, but with a few adjustments/additions.

91 Elizabeth Bentley July 7, 2012 at 4:32 pm

This is the best recipe I’ve had on our plant based fat free vegan diet so far!

92 Mandy August 11, 2012 at 7:23 pm

Made this for dinner tonight and thought it was awesome! I will definitely be making this again. Thank you for sharing.

93 kansaslovebird August 13, 2012 at 9:08 pm

Oh man. This was so good. I used some frozen seitan that I had on hand instead of chickpeas. The creamy sauce was such a surprise! Mmmmm. Will definitely keep this in the repertoire.

94 Jen August 26, 2012 at 1:13 pm

I just prepared this casserole and put it in the fridge to cook for tomorrow night’s dinner… DELICIOUS!! I couldn’t stop “testing” it before I put it in the refrigerator! The sauce is SO good! I want to put it on everything!! I’m already trying to think of other ways to use it… over veggies? noodles? potatoes? Thanks for another amazing recipe! I LOVE your blog!!

95 Joelle September 5, 2012 at 2:33 pm

Hi. I’m so happy to find this recipe. I’m going to try it tonight, even though it’s still technically summer. It’s already fall here (BC) weather-wise anyway. We have an abundance of broccoli from the garden, so I was looking for something vegan, but like you said, everyone adds fake cheese to broccoli dishes. I really never use the stuff. I’m trying to stay away from processed food as much as possible, and fake cheese just seems odd to me. I’ll be checking out many of your other recipes too. I think I’m going sub cooked lentils for the chickpeas, so I’ll let you know how that goes.

96 Rebekah October 24, 2012 at 7:35 pm

This is really yummy and satisfying. Mine didn’t come out as pretty. But still, yummy.

97 Kristin November 21, 2012 at 8:15 pm

Needed a good pre-Thanksgiving recipe this evening and this looked good, but it was great!!! Definitely a keeper that will be made often. Thank you.

98 Kelly November 30, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Oh my goodness, this is so good! I made this for a Thanksgiving potluck and it was gone! My husband begged me to make this again just for us. I love this dish! Thanks for posting!

99 Susan December 26, 2012 at 3:25 pm

Hi Susan. I made this for Christmas dinner. Wonderful addition to all of my other veggie dishes. Your recipes are always so reliable. Thank you.

100 charlotte jackson January 6, 2013 at 2:37 pm

I just wanted to say this recipe is so good. I made it a second time, more creamy, and I have to say it was so close to something I would of liked in my passed eating ways. I am always looking for comfort food that anyone would like, not just us crazy fat free vegans. Thank you so much.

101 Sharon January 28, 2013 at 12:12 pm

I made this for lunch today & both my husband and I liked it. I didn’t want to wait for brown rice to cook, so I used 1 cup millet, cooked according to the package directions and added that in place of the rice. I think it was a tasty substitution and I may make it that way again. Someone’s suggestion to add mushrooms sounds good also.

102 Nicole February 8, 2013 at 11:52 am

Could you substitute something in place of the broccoli? While I do love broccoli, it just doesn’t really love me back ha. Would zucchini work?

103 Susan Voisin February 8, 2013 at 11:59 am

Zucchini will probably work. It’s more watery than broccoli, so that may cause the casserole to be a little moister.

104 Pig bug May 15, 2013 at 8:41 pm

This is a lovely recipe. Thank you! I’ve recently given up eggs, dairy, and soy so I can continue to nurse my son. I’ll make this recipe again, and I look forward to trying some of your other dishes!

105 Holly October 19, 2013 at 6:12 pm

Susan, this was amazing. Unbelievably cheesy and so good for you. I cooked my rice in a little no-chicken broth base. I diced some roasted red bell peppers and substituted red kidney beans instead of chickpeas. With my Vitamix, I was able to blend some raw cashews into the sauce. I did saute my veggies in a little bit of olive oil. I know oil is bad, but I just love a little bit for mouth feel. Thanks for creating such an awesome site!

106 Ernie November 28, 2013 at 9:12 am

I doubled all the spices and used roasted red pepper hummus instead of tahini and liquid smoke in place of smoked paprika. It is a delicious, keeper recipe that will be well received today. Thank you.

107 Shawna November 29, 2013 at 2:43 pm

Susan, Your recipes are genius! We served this Broccoli Casserole, your Garden Skillet Pie, Impossible Pumpkin Pie, Applesauce Ginger Cake, and Cranberry Relish at Thanksgiving yesterday, and all were hits with vegans and non-vegans alike! Thank you for your blog and recipes. You make it so easy to cook for our vegan/carnivore family! And your mushroom gravy is the best food on the planet!

108 Kim January 13, 2014 at 7:05 pm

Another winner, thank you!

109 Sara February 12, 2014 at 9:59 pm

I just made this recipe for the first time tonight and it turned out wonderfully, and I didn’t even add the almonds or tahini. The only changes I made were to use a whole red bell pepper, a mix of brown and black rice, double the dry mustard, and a large head of broccoli from my garden (about 7 cups worth). I also used flax milk instead of soy, and accidentally dumped in a few tablespoons of cooking sherry, which I thought would ruin the sauce but it didn’t. Some mentioned that this requires a lot of pots- here is how I cut down on that. I used one pot to cook my rice while I chopped & prepped everything else. My second pot was my large enamel coated cast iron pot (5 quarts). I used it first to steam the broccoli, then put the broccoli in the strainer and used the pot to cook the onion/pepper mixture, then stirred in the chickpeas, rice, broccoli & sauce, and then baked the whole thing in the same pot in the oven.

110 Pamela March 22, 2014 at 4:53 pm

This is so fantastic!! Vegan and non vegans will love it!! So hearty and delicious. Thank you!!

111 Mrs. B September 28, 2014 at 3:11 pm

Thank you so much for sharing this recipe, I have been transitioning to Vegan from Vegetarian over the last 6 months and finding recipes like yours is awesome. First time I have ever gotten right up and made the recipe after reading through it. Have an awesome day, this turned out so yummy. Thanks again.

112 Sandi October 22, 2014 at 4:55 pm

Susan, I made this tonight, and it was great. It would be perfect at a holiday dinner. I didn’t have rice, so I used bulgar, and it worked perfectly. It took a bit longer than the 10 min. prep time, but worth it. Thanks for the recipe, and for all of your great recipes, and my best wishes for your good health.