If there’s one thing I’ve learned during almost 14 years of parenting, it’s that if you want your kids to eat vegetables, get them into the kitchen to cook them. Last week I was about to toss some Brussels sprouts into the oven to roast when my daughter stopped me:
“Please don’t cook them in the oven!”
“Because I don’t like them that way. Cook them in a skillet.”
“Okay, Smartypants. Any other suggestions?”
“Add mushrooms, lots of mushrooms.”
“Maybe you should just do this by yourself.”
She didn’t, of course. Trimming Brussels sprouts is much more tedious than designing a recipe, so I did most of the work under E’s direction. We added an entire box of mushrooms (“the best part”) to the Brussels sprouts with garlic, onion, and black pepper as the only seasonings. And you know what? E actually ate 2 helpings. I may put her in charge of all the side dishes from now on.
E's Super-Awesome Brussels Sprouts and Mushrooms
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts
- 1 small onion , quartered and thinly sliced
- 2-3 cloves garlic , thinly sliced
- 8 ounces mushrooms (baby bella or button), sliced
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Trim the dry ends off the sprouts and then cut them in half. Prepare the remaining vegetables and heat a non-stick skillet. Have the vegetable broth standing by.
- Put the onions into the hot skillet and give them a sprinkle of salt (optional, but speeds browning). Stirring constantly, adding a teaspoon or two of broth to the skillet if the onions stick, cook until the onions begin to brown, about 2-3 minutes. Add the garlic and more broth if necessary, and cook for another minute. Remove onions and garlic to a plate and return the skillet to the heat.
- Put the sprouts into the skillet, cut side down. Cook until they begin to brown and then add in the mushrooms and stir. Cook for another minute or two, stirring frequently. Add about 1/2 cup vegetable broth and the reserved onions, stir, turn down the heat, and cover tightly. Cook until the sprouts are tender and easily pierced with a fork, 3-5 minutes, adding more broth if necessary. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately, garnished with grated orange peel, if desired.
More Brussels Sprouty Goodness:
Brussels Sprouts Stir-Fry
Brussels Sprouts and Shiitake Mushroom Soup
Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Brussels Sprouts Two Ways
Shredded Brussels Sprouts & Apples from 101 Cookbooks
Chipotle Chili With Sweet Potatoes And Brussel Sprouts from Post-Punk Kitchen
Brussels Sprouts Roasted with Lime and Garlic from get sconed
Shredded Brussels Sprouts with Persimmons and Walnuts from wasabimon.com (vegan option)
3.1K 5.6K 62 5