African Pineapple Peanut Stew

by on March 7, 2006

African Pineapple Peanut Stew

(Updated July 2014) Several years ago, my husband and I were thumbing through Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home when my husband stopped at this recipe and said, “Let’s try this one.” I looked at it. . . and then I looked at him like he was insane. Pineapple, onions, and kale? And peanut butter? What kind of crazy combination is that?

That was before I learned something that D. already knew: Unusual combinations often make the best dishes. We tried this mixture of peanut butter and pineapple, and it was terrific. And it was the first time I really loved kale.

Since then, this dish has become a family favorite, though its higher fat content puts it into the category of “special occasions” for me. I have adapted the recipe to remove the oil in the original, which is really unnecessary for sautéing. And I’ve increased the kale and replaced the cilantro with parsley (because I can’t eat cilantro). I’ve also managed to reduce the peanut butter on occasion by replacing some of it with peanut butter powder. And as of 2014, the most recent change I’ve made is to add chickpeas to make it more filling as my daughter has grown from a child to a young woman. (The original recipe is here, if you’re interested.)

African Pineapple Peanut Stew

Original Photo without Chickpeas

Current day month ye@r *

1 Anonymous December 28, 2009 at 6:30 pm

This recipe sounds delicious and I can't wait to try it. Susan, can the peanut butter be replaced with almond butter or a different nut butter?
I love your blog!

2 Rawket Food January 6, 2010 at 10:14 pm

I just made this and it was amazingly fantastic! This will be a keeper in my house for years to come. Even my 6 year old loved it. My husband said it was delicious. No left overs tonight!

3 D&J January 26, 2010 at 5:58 pm

We've made this twice in 2 weeks. It's delish and is a great way to eat Kale, which can be a little too firm and robust for some people.
We DID find it a little too sweet for our palates the first time around, so tonight we included the pineapple WITHOUT the juice and added the juice and half the tomatoes from a can of diced. Success! Grrreat, and no leftovers again.
Thanks for the blog, it's a huge help for our recent transition to vegan.

4 Andrea Boddam April 28, 2010 at 2:46 pm

Well everytime I try to explain this dish to people, I always get a raised brow “Peanutbutter with pineapple… And kale?!” (Okay… a lot of the people I know don’t even know what kale is to be honest… but still)
But both times I’ve made this it has gone over exceptionally well! I tend to add more than the tbsp of hot sauce, but we like things spicy!

Great recipe and site!

5 Jessica June 17, 2010 at 6:40 pm

This dish is amazing. I put it over whole wheat cous cous. Fantastic , thank you.

6 Jessica September 18, 2012 at 7:48 pm

2 Years later and I still love this recipe. Added in some beet greens and azuki beans and chopped jalapenos and put it over millet tonight. Glorious.

7 elizabeth August 25, 2010 at 5:43 pm

You need healthy fat in order to provide satiety as well as to allow necessary nutrients to be absorbed but you know this.

8 Jen August 25, 2010 at 5:48 pm

Thanks for posting this! I used to make this recipe years ago and had lost the printout of the recipe (which listed its origins too). We’ll be having it soon.

9 Alex August 25, 2010 at 9:09 pm

My boyfriend will love this! I like to use him as an excuse to cook, this look so delicious :D

10 Originaldave September 4, 2010 at 6:48 pm

I was just going to print off this recipe and make it but see there is no link (that I see) for the usual printer friendly version!

11 SusanV September 4, 2010 at 7:22 pm

Hi Dave–Sorry about that! This was posted before I started doing the printer-friendly versions, but I’ve just made one. Click here for the new printer-friendly page.

12 Angela October 3, 2010 at 8:27 pm

Does this recipe freeze well?

13 SusanV October 3, 2010 at 8:48 pm

I’m sorry. I haven’t frozen it, so I just don’t know.

14 janet November 8, 2010 at 5:27 am

I really liked this unusual stew! I threw in tons of kale and it wilted down nicely. The peanut butter doesn’t make this an every day meal, but it is great if anyone has gotten into a cooking rut!

I wrote about it here: http://tastespace.wordpress.com/2010/11/08/african-pineapple-kale-peanut-stew/

15 Kim December 16, 2010 at 4:12 am

I am wanting to try this recipe, however I’m from Australia and Kale is not widely known here, what do you suggest I can use for a sub?

PS What an amazing site you have here, I rely on it and you are quite an inspiration and I must say I am very thankful for all of your lovely healthy fat free recipes.

16 SusanV December 16, 2010 at 7:56 am

Thanks for your kind words, Kim! I think any leafy green could be used instead of the kale. If you can get Swiss Chard (silverbeet?), that would probably make the best substitution.

17 Kim December 17, 2010 at 3:58 am

Many thanks for your response Susan! I will try silverbeet.
Tonight I am making your Spinach & Mushroom Lasanga with Tofu.
Thanks again.

18 LisaGG January 1, 2011 at 11:07 pm

The comments on this made me so curious that I made it tonight, with swiss chard instead of kale, served with coconut rice. It was actually surprisingly good and the flavors melded beautifully. Who would have thought?!

19 Chef Damien January 13, 2011 at 8:46 am

Blog des régions

Bonjour,

Nous continuons le tour de France des blogueurs région par région.

Nous aimerions que votre blog apparaisse sur ces portraits de régions.

Pouvez vous nous contacter en précisant votre région.

En vous remerciant par avance.

Chef Damien

20 Megan February 25, 2011 at 11:19 pm

We loved this! We kept the cilantro, because we love cilantro, but otherwise followed the changes in this recipe. I’ve never tasted anything quite like this before. The hot sauce is a must, and I’m a wimp about spice, but it gave it such a great flavor.

21 Dani April 28, 2011 at 8:37 pm

I have been browsing your blog for a while, and was originally going to make your Mac N Cheese tonight, but unfortunately my local grocer was out of nutritional yeast- thank goodness for that though, or who knows how long I would have waited before I tried this! The flavors blend SO well- even when I substituted Cajun seasoning for the hot sauce. Thank you so much!

22 SusanV April 28, 2011 at 9:13 pm

You’re welcome! I’m so glad you liked it– one of my family’s favorites.

23 Julie & Marty June 20, 2011 at 9:04 pm

African Pineapple Peanut Stew was the first recipe we tried off your Fat Free Vegan Kitchen website. I decided to go from A to Z in the Main Dishes. My husband is doing most of the cooking and doesn’t like tofu so we are skipping any of those recipes or any recipes where we can’t readily find the ingredients. This stew was FANTASIC! Wow! It is a keeper! I don’t like peanut butter, but it sure made this dish pop!

24 Lois Gowen August 16, 2011 at 4:35 pm

Love this recipe. I’ve been making this with swiss chard. Never have tried kale, but will try it soon.

25 rachel August 27, 2011 at 5:51 am

This was amazing! 3 big thumbs up from our house.

26 rozina November 4, 2011 at 2:37 pm

Loved this recipe. I cook for 4-5 days together as I am away from home during the week. This recipe worked out perfectly and tasted great each day. Best recipe to get used to eating kale. I increased the tobasco sauce amount to 3 tblspoon to bring out the contrast.
I added butternut squash too to make it a more hearty meal and eat it as is… without any grains.

27 Tash March 9, 2012 at 9:45 pm

This looks really nice…. i have a question…. my partner is allergic to nuts, and peanuts are the worst as you would be aware, i myself don’t like the taste of peanuts bar in a satay, what could i use to replace the peanuts with…. i have had one thought because the smell and taste to me is quite like peanut butter, its the unhulled tahini paste i buy…..would this work as a substitution ????

28 Susan Voisin March 9, 2012 at 9:47 pm

I think tahini would be good, but I would probably reduce the amount to a couple of tablespoons.

29 Tash March 9, 2012 at 10:11 pm

Yes i made that mistake last night when making hummus, the tahini is quite strong….would using tahini instead of pent butter make this lower in fat or would it be about the same???? Sorry for what may sound like a stupid question but as I’m new to being vegan i must ask :) <3

30 Tash March 9, 2012 at 10:12 pm

*peanut sorry keyboard is running slow

31 Lisa Herman April 16, 2012 at 12:19 pm

WOW; this is such a fantastic dish! We loved it! I served it over rice with black
beans and it was awesome!

32 Kara May 29, 2012 at 5:34 pm

I love this recipe! Goes great over quinoa.

33 Laina July 9, 2012 at 3:32 pm

Are the calories calculated with rice? Also, are the peanuts roasted or raw and do you roast your own or purchase canned peanuts already roasted?

Thanks so much !!!

Laina :-)

34 Susan Voisin July 9, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Laina, the calories are without rice. For the peanuts, you could toast raw peanuts or use roasted peanuts from a jar or can. Honestly, I usually omit the peanuts these days and reduce the peanut butter so that it’s not quite as high in calories. I also serve it over quinoa a lot.

35 Laina July 11, 2012 at 1:52 pm

Thanks, Susan. We have a local hfs that allows the customer to make fresh peanut butter. Ummmmmm! I’ll try the recipe with half of what you recommended. But the full amount would be nice for a sometimes meals. :-)

Also as a FYI, Trader Joe’s has a peanut flour. We don’t have a Trader Joe’s and I read this on a blog.

The person who blogs is a peanut butter lover so to lose weight she tried the PB2 and continued to eat it after she lost her weight. She mentioned it doesn’t taste exactly like peanut butter, but close enough for her tastes.

Then, after hearing of two other products, she decided to do a taste test on all three, and the Trader Joe’s won and is way cheaper than the PB2. One thing she did do is to add her own salt because the Trader Joe’s peanut flour doesn’t have added sodium which is nice for those who want to control their sodium. Another plus, if you have a local Trader Joe’s, is that you can purchase it locally. The PB2 needs to be ordered unless it’s now in grocery stores.

Laina “-)

36 Susan Voisin July 9, 2012 at 7:24 pm

I also wanted to mention that I now add a can of chickpeas to make it go farther and I’ve eliminated the parsley and scallions, and we don’t miss them. (I remembered to tell you this because I’m in the process of making it right now!)

37 Laina July 11, 2012 at 1:54 pm

:-) Thanks!!!

38 Caroline July 9, 2012 at 4:58 pm

Susan,
Have you tried using PB2 as a replacement for traditional peanut butter? It has 85% less fat calories than peanut butter. I just mix it with water and use it like you would the regular stuff but I haven’t tried cooking with it yet.

39 Susan Voisin July 9, 2012 at 7:22 pm

I haven’t been able to find PB2 locally, but it seems like the last time someone mentioned it, I checked it out and it had something in it that I didn’t want to eat. Sugar maybe? I’ll have to check again. Thanks for the reminder.

40 Laina July 13, 2012 at 9:58 pm

I made this the other night. I did halve the peanut butter and omitted the parsley and green onions.

Also I added the garbanzo beans you suggested and I decided to add a chopped up zuchinni and 8 oz package of mushrooms.

This is OH SO DELICIOUS!!! Wow, another favorite.

Thank you so much Susan. :-)

PS I bought the peanuts, but didn’t add them because they weren’t needed. I bought a can and could kick myself. Opened the lid and ate handfuls. Next time I’m only going to buy the small celephane package they sell at the register. :-)

41 Theresa July 17, 2012 at 11:41 pm

I made this for dinner for my mother and I and we both loved it! This recipe has a lot of flavor. Made it exactly like the recipe except left off peanuts because I didn’t have any. It’s definitely going to become a regular in my house.

42 Derborah Christy November 11, 2012 at 6:34 pm

I am going to try it with PB2. A two tbls serving has 45 calories, 1.5g fat. I love the stuff and I believe it will be just as wonderful tasting!

43 Connie November 11, 2012 at 9:03 pm

I have that cookbook and also love this recipe. I’ve served it to non-veg people and they also enjoyed it.

44 WandaFish November 12, 2012 at 1:59 pm

Thanks for sharing this delicious recipe, Susan! I’m not a veggie, just someone who enjoys good food and trying to eat healthy. I made this using cilantro and omitting the scallions and it was very tasty :)
I’m a Brit and struggle a bit with cup conversions. I used about 8oz of kale as I could only find it prepackaged – I’m still not sure of the quantity you would use. I think I’d like it with a little more sauce next time too (or maybe I should just eat less rice)

45 Eloïse January 15, 2013 at 5:29 pm

Wow! This was good! I used spinach cause they were out of kale at the supermarket and added chickpeas. I also used a bit of tomato juice. All over coconut rice! Yum! First recipe I try from your blog and there is a lot more I wanna try. I want to go vegan.. Thanks for sharing.

46 Trish January 17, 2013 at 9:02 pm

I found a copy of Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home in a thrift shop, and bought it w/o even looking through it, as I have three other Moosewood books. Molly Katzen’s recipes are unique, healthy and good.
So…I made this pineapple peanut stew for tonight’s dinner, and it was *so* yummy! My husband is a meat-and-potato guy, so it took some coaxing, but after eating it, he went back to the stove and heaped a second helping in his bowl. It was a big hit, and I’ll definitely make it again. Oh, and I served it over farro.

47 Florence January 27, 2013 at 9:00 pm

Just made this tonight and it was excellent. The only changes I made was that I added a can of black beans and used Siracha for the hot sauce.

48 Erin May 7, 2013 at 1:04 pm

This was really good! Great way to use our fresh pineapple.

49 kim baker March 8, 2014 at 7:08 pm

If you say ‘ Moosewood’ is good I’ll be so grateful. I copied an inch worth of recipe cards from that book and haven’t made one recipe yet! It is a long story … I’ll be trying this one as I love unusual ! Sweet potato hash goodness!

50 Susan G March 9, 2014 at 1:32 pm

Thank you for posting the points – so helpful!

51 Jacqueline Serrato July 24, 2014 at 10:29 am

I add sweet potatoes. I skip the peanuts, scallions, and parsley and add lots of chickpeas (I cook my own) and kale. Add 2-3 chopped jalapeño while sautéing the onions and garlic. Oh indeed I add a lot of garlic and tons of Louisiana Hot Sauce. Make it your own…experiment! One of my all time favorite recipes!

52 Corrin Radd July 27, 2014 at 7:52 pm

Woah. I make a lot of your recipes and this is the best one. My family went crazy for it. Thanks!