Creamy Scalloped Potatoes

by on March 8, 2006

Even though she was raised on a vegan diet, my daughter E. doesn’t give her “Kid-Friendly Seal of Approval” to many dishes, particularly those that try to imitate the taste of cheese. Though she’s never eaten real cheese, she fell in love years ago with “Chreese,” a dry mix made by Road’s End Organics. Her tastes are so finely attuned to Chreese that she can detect my attempts at counterfeiting it just using her sense of smell. If it’s not Chreese, a fake cheese sauce doesn’t stand a chance with her.

Until now. Creamy Scalloped Potatoes has passed the ultimate kid-friendly test–The Cheezy, Unfamiliar, Gross-Looking Potato Dish Challenge. It has succeed even though it breaks three of E.’s rules: (1) All Cheezy Sauces Must Use Chreese; (2) No New Foods; and (3) All Potatoes Must be Baked, Mashed, or Oven-Fried. (All kids have rules. And we parents appreciate their long lists of food aversions as signs of their nascent individuality and quirky personalities . . . when we’re not fantasizing about shipping them off to some raw foodist boot-camp in Idaho!)

As I brought E.’s plate to the table, I was greeted with the words, “I’m not eating that!” I returned with the parental standard, “You have to at least try it.” This was followed by much grumbling, which was followed by much eating of the other foods on her plate. Finally, she reached the Cheezy, Unfamiliar, Gross-Looking, Un-baked-mashed-or-fried Potato Dish. She took a bite, then another, then another. “Hey,” she exclaimed, “you have got to put this on your kid-friendly list! I love it!”

So there you have it: a ringing endorsement for a cheezy-sauced recipe. And a list of rules that just got a little shorter.

Creamy Scalloped Potatoes

1 reilly October 19, 2009 at 8:30 pm

The sauce was so good but didn't thicken up for me! It reminded me a lot of this Peruvian dish called papa a la huancaina.

2 HeidiTFM November 25, 2009 at 8:30 pm

Made these without the cashew butter (didn't have it) and contemplated the tahini substitution, but hubby said try peanut butter–so I did. I went a little too light on the salt, but these will be delicious (once they are cool enough to eat without burning my mouth).

3 Kristin B. April 4, 2010 at 11:56 pm

Thank you for this recipe! I am a vegan for health and environmental reasons, but I come from a family of dedicated meat eaters. I was asked to bring scalloped potatoes to Easter this year, and though I often cook things I can't eat for my family, I dreaded cooking this dish that I love and not being able to eat it. So, I did a little surfing and your recipe sounded the most promising, though it took a bit of creative shopping for the nutritional yeast and miso. The only substitution I made was tahini for the cashew butter, and I doubled the recipe. It came out tasting pretty fantastic to me, but I realize that my taste isn't the same as other people's at this point. I decided not to say anything to anybody, and just threw it into the buffet with everything else, secretly hoping there would be some leftover for me to take home. No such luck. The fam polished the whole dish, and my cousin John, self-proclaimed cheese fanatic, came back for seconds. Everybody complimented, and when I filled them in on my little secret, they were quite surprised. Can't wait to try another recipe out on them. Thanks again!

4 Gabrielle April 24, 2010 at 10:25 pm

I didnt use cashew butter or tahini, so it took longer to thicken, but in the end-it was still amazing, as always :P

5 Kelly April 29, 2010 at 8:40 am

My three year old loves this dish! My husband loved it also! Fabulous job on the recipe.

6 Boya October 17, 2010 at 4:37 pm

This was DELICIOUS! You should post this on the member center of Dr. Fuhrman’s website- they would love it there too!

Thanks!

7 Lauren DeVain March 5, 2011 at 2:10 pm

This was a great low fat version of traditional scalloped potatoes! I made the following modifications: I used half a cup of water and 1.5 cups of plain soymilk. Instead of cornstarch I used 3 heaping tablespoons of flour. I used a little extra salt, and instead of garlic powder I used one close of fresh garlic. Similarly, instead of onion powder, I used one whole green onion. I used vegan margarine instead of cashew butter and skipped the miso because I didn’t have it. I baked it at 400 for 25 minutes and then put the heat up to 450 until the top browned nicely. Delicious! My husband loved it :)

8 Shawn March 29, 2011 at 5:50 pm

Thanks for this one, I keep using it over and over! I add fresh onion and garlic delicious!

9 Yvonne May 25, 2011 at 12:58 am

I tried a recipe very similar to this made with the addition of a small jar of pimentos pureed / blended into the sauce. Gives it a nice golden color like cheddar.

10 Stephanie June 7, 2011 at 12:26 am

I made this tonight and SCORE! you are so savvy at putting together ‘cheezy’ like facsmiles…wow! I think next time I will add onions….just cause that’s what I had as a kid! 5* from me!! thanks!
Steph

11 Stephanie Winsor September 18, 2011 at 8:14 pm

I made this for dinner – and we both enjoyed it so much. I should have halved the recipe – if we don’t finish it in the next day or so, do you think I could freeze it?

12 SusanV September 18, 2011 at 9:24 pm

Glad you liked it! I haven’t frozen it before, so I’m really not sure. You may have to try it as an experiment!

13 Christine October 26, 2011 at 11:00 am

My son is allergic to tree nuts so could you tell me what I can use as a substitution for cashew butter?

14 SusanV October 26, 2011 at 11:10 am

I would use tahini or sesame seed butter.

15 Katie November 6, 2011 at 6:27 pm

Just posted on your fb page but wanted to leave something for other reviewers or lukers. This recipe is the BOMB!!! I made some changes, nothing big. First off I did use my mandolin! Helped a lot! I have a borner vslicer from amazon! Second, I didn’t have cashew butter but not to worry…trusty ole vita mix will make anything! I threw in 3/4 cup soaked raw cashews. I also used veggie broth for one cup of the water. I don’t use soy products so I used so delicious original coconut milk instead of soy milk. I also don’t have miso. Didn’t replace that one. I didn’t feel like doing multi steps today, vegan cooking is so time consuming as it is! So I omitted the boiling stage. I used a 9×13 glass dish. I also only used 4 med-large potato. Could of used more but hubby already cleaned the mandolin, darn men! I poured some sauce on bottom then started the layering. Potatoes, sauce, potatoes, sauce. Then I covered with tin foil and baked for 45 min @350 degrees. Then I took of tin foil and cooked for 20 min longer or till slightly brown. My only warning is don’t burn your tongue from eating it before cool. Its that stinking good! This recipe is pretty flexible as you can see! My toddler who is beyond picky actually ate a couple bites without me telling him to! Taste like cheesey potatoe goodness!

16 Mark January 2, 2012 at 9:21 pm

Hey! Not ‘Printer Friendly’ button for this recipe? :-(

17 Mark January 2, 2012 at 9:22 pm

Love your site, btw. ;-)

18 Susan Voisin January 2, 2012 at 9:42 pm

Thanks! Just added a print option for you.

19 Mark January 2, 2012 at 9:43 pm

Wow! You ROCK!! Thanks!!!

20 Andrea Drummond January 11, 2012 at 11:55 pm

Great looking recipe!

But, I’m not sure if noticed .. but google adchoices displayed Eagle Boy pizza’s prawn skewers for me. I’ve made a complaint to them about how stupid this is – for the viewer & their client.

All the best

Cheers,
Andrea

21 Kim January 22, 2012 at 7:00 pm

This recipe has been a family favorite for many years. I like adding “browned” fake meat crumbles (veg broth, bbq and other spices cooked until the broth disappears) into the layers. My (carnivore) husband craves this version! Thank you SO much for it.

22 Ande April 7, 2012 at 8:39 am

My husband would love this recipe but he is following Dr. Esselstyn’s Prevent and Reverse Heart disease plant-based diet. Can you suggest a non-fat substitute for the 2 tablespoons raw cashew butter?

23 Susan Voisin April 7, 2012 at 8:46 am

Just leave it out or add a little extra non-dairy milk.

24 Alicia July 25, 2012 at 12:10 pm

How many fat grams are in this?

25 Susan Voisin July 25, 2012 at 2:39 pm

If you divide it into 6 servings, each one has 4.3 grams of fat.

26 Ber October 21, 2012 at 10:30 am

Not wanting to deal with the oven and being hungry I skipped it. Boiled my potatoes in one pot. Then mixed the sauce mix, chopped up a half onion finely and sauteed it in another saucepan and then added the sauce mix and heated till thick. . I drained the potatoes, put them in a bowl, poured the sauce over them and gave them an ample salt and peppering and enjoyed them. Took, 30 min total raw unpeeled potato to breakfast in a bowl. Oh man…. yum!! This will be a regular!

27 Ber October 21, 2012 at 10:30 am

Forgot I too skipped the cashews no need for the extra fat.

28 Cindy October 25, 2012 at 12:23 pm

Just wanted to chime in… this was awesome, and sadly consumed all too quickly. I also used fresh garlic because I had some and tahini rather than cashew butter. Will add green onions also next time. I used 4 large-ish potatoes and it made two layers in 9×13 pan. Not sure if I should make two batches next time or more layers. Seems like it might not cook enough if there are more than two layers of potatoes. Anybody have cooking times for four layers? Big thanks for another winner! I love this site.

29 Connie March 13, 2013 at 6:21 pm

I love the story!

This looks great to me but I wonder if my teen will like it because he’s not crazy about things that have too much nutritional yeast.

Do you buy cashew butter or blend cashews to make it?

30 Connie March 13, 2013 at 6:25 pm

I didn’t see the other comments when I first wrote. I’ll substitute tahini or blend in some cashews.

31 Stella March 13, 2013 at 6:25 pm

I like some of your recipes but am disturbed by what seems to me to be a heavy use soy and soy products (tofu, etc.). Women who have had breast cancer or who are at risk for its occurrence (or recurrence in some cases) are strongly advised NOT to use any form of soy products as soy contains plant estrogens. How does one adapt your recipes when soy is so prominent an ingredient?

32 Susan Voisin March 13, 2013 at 6:42 pm

Soy has been shown to be protective against breast cancer, and I use it in my recipes because I don’t believe the misinformation put out by anti-soy groups. But most of them can be easily made soy-free by using other non-dairy milks.

33 Lila March 13, 2013 at 6:25 pm

Thanks! I think I might have looked on your site for scalloped potatoes recently and didn’t find one. I was given a huge bag of potatoes, and after making my mother’s fabulous potato salad for a pot luck (minus eggs, sub vegennaise), I still have 5 or 6 potatoes left. E’s endorsement is good enough for me!

34 callie June 11, 2013 at 7:23 pm

well. i love this blog, and go to it often for recipe ideas. this recipe has finally compelled me to comment. it is a total winner. i left out the cornstarch, because i don’t like the quality it gives a sauce, but my sauce still thickened up beautifully. thank you so much for a recipe my husband and i both like ( major achievement), tastes sinfully good, and that will be a regular in our house.

35 Robin April 14, 2014 at 2:18 pm

These were absolutely wonderful!!!! Thank you!!! What a sauce!!!!