Mini Crustless Tofu Quiches

by on December 4, 2006

I don’t have a lot to say about this recipe. I mean, there are only so many ways I can say something’s delicious—Mmmmm! Yum! Wow! Awesome! Kid-Friendly!—without sounding like a 4th grader.

The story on these quiches is that I saw a non-vegan recipe for mini crustless quiches in a magazine and wanted to try using silken tofu. So one night when my husband and daughter were both out for the evening, I tried these out as an experiment. I figured if it failed, it was just my dinner at risk. I wasn’t prepared for them to be so good—or for E. to come home and demand a share of them! After initially exclaiming, “Ew, what is that?” she decided that she wanted to try one. And another. And another. And another. I’d made only 12, so my dinner was rapidly disappearing. I had to promise that I’d make a double batch soon, or there would have been none left for D. Yes, I figured he should get a chance at something this tasty.

They’re extremely versatile: Good hot or cold, you can eat them for breakfast, put them in a lunchbox, or serve them for dinner. If you’re throwing a party, try making them in mini muffin cups, and they’ll be the perfect finger food. (Reduce the baking time for smaller quiches.) Try them with different vegetables, but be careful not to add too many or they may not hold together. Most importantly, plan to either hide them from your family or make enough to share!

Well, I guess I did have a lot to say after all.

Mini Crustless Tofu Quiches

1 Yoga September 11, 2009 at 1:58 am

Tofu is great for vwgwtarians like me!

2 Anonymous October 13, 2009 at 12:53 pm

I am new to this blog and am very excited about it! I was wondering if the milk used must be soy? Or can you use another plant milk suce as rice or almond?

3 SusanV October 13, 2009 at 1:01 pm

Sure, use any kind of milk, as long as it's unsweetened. I hope you enjoy it!

4 Anonymous October 31, 2009 at 7:41 pm

I only came across this recipe a few weeks ago and tried it tonight. Yum! I made two batches. One as is–with the exception of using almond milk as I was out of soy–and the other using onion, tempeh 'fakin' bacon' strips, and spinach for the filling. It's good! I used to make wonderful quiche–now I still do.

Also, I have a glass countertop convection oven that I used. It's hard to find recipes for these. I put the silicone cups on the high rack directly, 375 for 5 minutes and then 350 for 25 minutes. It was wonderful!

Thank you for the recipes that you post. My picky daughter will be home in a little while and I am hoping that she will like them as much as I do.

5 CharlieBean November 3, 2009 at 10:43 am

Little tip for these, they look real classy if you pour the quiche batter into hollowed out tomatoes instead of muffin tins. that way you can eat that part too!

6 Leigha November 6, 2009 at 4:57 pm

My daughter is allergic to sesame and tree nuts (including almonds) – what would you recommend as a substitute for that ingredient? I am dying to try this recipe!

7 SusanV November 6, 2009 at 5:08 pm

Leigha, I would just leave the tahini out. It doesn't contribute that much flavor. I hope your daughter enjoys them!

8 Jacki November 11, 2009 at 2:55 pm

We loved these mini quiche! Hubby and 14 years old daughter have requested more today (yes, both of my daughters, 14 and 19 now, have been raised vegan. They have been significantly healthier than their peers and very athletic).

I am also working on the greek yogurt. I used your recipe for soy yogurt using Soy Dream. I imagine that the nutritional info for the yogurt remains the same as for the soy milk since the quantity remains the same. But do you have any idea what happens to the nutritional break-down for the Greek Style Yogurt made from that yogurt recipe? I'd like to figure out the points for the Greek Style Yogurt.

Thanks for your fantastic Blog!

9 Cate November 11, 2009 at 10:09 pm

Thanks Susan for this amazing recipe. Coming into summer here in Perth (Western Australia) and these quiches are perfect for this time of year. I've already made some for non-vegans and they were a hit!

10 Ashley November 23, 2009 at 2:47 pm

Oh my goodness! These quiches are absolutely delish! Everyone in my family loved them- vegans and meat eaters alike. Thanks Susan.

11 Erika December 22, 2009 at 3:30 pm

Hi Susan! I made these a while back and they were delicious!! Thank you! I made them with blended cashews. Do you recommend another ingredient instead of tofu as a binder? We are trying to stay away from most soy products currently…Do you think it will hold just with the blended cashews?? Thanks for your help in advance!

12 Elizabeth December 27, 2009 at 6:27 pm

I'm going to try the this in muffin cups. Do you think I can freeze them to use as breakfast on the go?

13 SusanV December 31, 2009 at 2:24 pm

Hi Island Chica,

The kind of tofu really depends on the recipe. I like the aseptic kind for this recipe and in sauces and desserts, but for most other uses, I use the regular kind in the extra-firm variety. The aseptic kind is good for blended things, but in something like these quiches, it needs corn starch or some other thickener to give it structure. Regular tofu is great for slicing or cubing and using in stir-fries or seasoned and baked, alone.

If you do a google search, I know there are lots of webpages that explain the different kinds of tofu and their uses. You may even find some videos.

Good luck to you. And congratulations for entering 2010 as a vegan!

14 ~me January 4, 2010 at 1:03 pm

Hi, just started following you. :)

Is there any sub for the tahini? I never buy it as 1) can't find it often and 2) not crazy about the taste.

Would it matter a whole lot if I left it out?

Thanks

15 Rachel January 5, 2010 at 9:46 am

I'm so glad I found your blog (as you can tell, since I'm now browsing through the archives like a hungry person). But fewer than 100 calories for FOUR quiches? Seriously? I know you used lite tofu but that is amazing. I may have to make these just to see how something under 25 calories per quiche can be so good.

16 SusanV January 5, 2010 at 9:54 am

Hi Rachel–It sounds impossible, but when you consider that an entire package of lite silken tofu contains only 120 calories…that's only 10 calories per mini quiche from the tofu, so the majority of the calories come from the other ingredients.

I hope you give them a try, but beware: They're so light and good that you may wind up eating more than 4 of them!

17 beet-red January 6, 2010 at 9:36 am

Wow, these look good. I'll definitely be making them soon. I've been wondering though, do the silicone cups make the food taste…siliconey?

18 Azahara January 6, 2010 at 9:55 am

Simply delicious! I cooked some of these quiches for New Year's Eve and they were a real hit among my family & guests.

19 muddypenguin January 12, 2010 at 8:44 pm

I LOVE your blog! My husband, son, and I have been vegetarian for a year and have been considering taking the plunge to becoming vegans (my son and I are cheese folks and my husband loves milk). Your blog has been a source of inspiration for me and when friends and co-workers ask about where I go for recipes and ideas, I send them to you.

I have a question about the nutritional info on these quiches. You say to use 12 regular size muffin tins, but the nutrition info says 4 mini quiches. I can't imagine that 4 regular sized muffins would only be 96 calories … or could we be that lucky?!!? So what is the nutritional value of 1 regular sized muffin?

20 SusanV January 12, 2010 at 9:10 pm

muddypenguin–Believe it! The major contributors of calories in this recipe are 1 box of tofu and 1 teaspoon of tahini, and when you divide those over 12 muffins, it comes out to very few calories. I just ran the recipe through my new software, and it comes out a little bit higher than as posted, but still very low–114 calories for 4 mini quiches or 28 calories each. Enjoy without guilt!

21 Vegetarian WLSer January 13, 2010 at 4:16 pm

I love this recipe. I used firm tofu and they came out wonderful. Thanks for the recipe. It will be a staple in our house.

22 lovemyfamily February 2, 2010 at 12:50 pm

These were tasty, but if you like things a little spicier don't be afraid to add more spices cause it is a little bland(for us at least). My 2 year old even ate some. We ended up food processing all the ingredients, but I think I forgot to add the soy milk, will definitely do different variations of this in the future.

23 Sahari February 4, 2010 at 1:27 am

My third recipe of yours and my first failure :-( Maybe I need to stick with the Ridiculously Easy recipes? Anyway, mini quichees tasted great, but in scrambled egg form on toasted whole wheat english muffins! Followed recipe to a T except I used 2 scallions instead of a chive. Used silken tofu (this brand doesn't indicate firm or soft silk — just silken) so I'm wondering if regular tofu would work better?

24 SusanV February 4, 2010 at 9:01 am

Sahari, I'm sorry they didn't work out. Did they just not set up? What was the brand of tofu you used? If it was wetter than the Mori-Nu firm silken that I used, it may need more cornstarch to hold it together. If you try it again, please let me know your results.

25 Sahari February 5, 2010 at 6:47 am

Yes, they didn't set up. As in, they didn't even think about it! We used Organic NaSoya brand 'Silken' — here's a link to see the packaging:
http://www.nasoya.com/products/tofu/silken.html. Their 'silken' doesn't have firmness options… We're going to try again w/ regular(non silken)
NaAoya (firm)and see what happens before switching brands altogether… I'll be sure to post back and let you know how we fared. Thanks so much for your response!

26 Dee D. February 7, 2010 at 8:06 am

Good morning! I just discovered your blog & it's a Godsend. I'm excited to try your Mini Quiche, & your Ridiculously Easy section looks fabulous. Esp. for my family ~ not vegan but heading that way. Both my husband & daughter are lactose-intolerant.
Here's my question: So many great recipes call for garlic, which my daughter & I can't consume. If we do, we're in total misery, just sick. If I omit garlic from your recipes, would they still be delicious?
Or should I adjust the seasonings? For eg., instead of 1 tbsp. chili powder, I use 1 tsp. each of cumin & oregano. I'd be grateful for any suggestions. Thanks so much!

27 SusanV February 7, 2010 at 9:10 am

Dee D., I would just increase the amounts of the other seasonings to make up for the absence of garlic. Also, if you can eat onions, I might and a little minced onion to replace the garlic flavor.

28 Ayelet February 8, 2010 at 9:29 am

I made these last night. They were indeed delicioso. I didn't have mushrooms or bell peppers so used frozen brocolli, asparagus and stiry fry vegetable (we've been snowed in for days and there's no getting to a grocery store). You weren't lying about these being light. We ate another dinner after we ate this dinner. Also, even through I greased the muffin tin they didn't come out cleanly. But they taste great. I'll try this as a full-size quiche next time.

29 robyn February 14, 2010 at 9:46 pm

I have made this twice now – once in a muffin tin and once in a 8×8 pan.

The pan worked better for me only because I let them bake for about 35 minutes and they were completely done. The muffin tin ones I did run a knife in and it had just a bit of gooey left and I should have baked them longer.

Both times DELICIOUS! My husband thought I was serving him eggs.

I used broccoli instead of mushrooms, but otherwise everything else was the same.

Thank you for the awesome recipe! You truly are an inspiration.

30 Anonymous February 16, 2010 at 2:57 am

blog.fatfreevegan.com; You saved my day again.

31 if i only knew... February 20, 2010 at 1:32 pm

Hi Susan–

i so want to make these right! From the reviews, I know something must be wrong in the way i made these…they tasted bitter and synthetic and i normally love tofu.
I'm thinking maybe it was the type of soy milk or other ingredient that i used or the new silicone cups (I bought some just for this recipe).

What brand of soy milk and tofu do you usually use? Did you have to break in the silicone cups before using them?

I used a refrigerated "plain" "lite" soy milk (Archer Farms from target) and morinu lite silken tofu. the yeast and seasonings were all from the bulk section at our natural food store.

Since i am newish to cooking vegan, I am not familiar with the specific flavors each ingredient impart and want to lower the rubbery, bitter taste and don't know where to start. I want to try these again because they look sooo delicious and soooo many great reviews…what could be the source of my mistake? thanks so much for your great blog!

32 Angie July 20, 2013 at 7:52 pm

If I may suggest, it could be the fresh rosemary (if you are using) and possibly the nutritional yeast that is giving you a bitter flavour. The flavours of these two ingredients was very prominent in the batch I made last night, using the correct quantities. I will try again, tweaking some of the flavours.

33 Rica February 20, 2010 at 10:46 pm

I love how they look..enticing and healthy! Nothing beats this combination.

34 Sahari February 21, 2010 at 6:28 pm

Okay, I'm back. Used NaSoya Firm tofu, and half a Tbsp more of the cornstarch (just in case) and voila! Cute, very delicious little quiches. They didn't want to pop right out of the muffin tins though (dark coated metal which were oil sprayed prior to filling). I think crusts will do the trick nicely. Will report back on that. So in conclusion, I would say that the brand name of your tofu (Silken) was where I went wrong (I tend to think literally). Three cheers for Susan V!

35 if I only knew... February 21, 2010 at 8:36 pm

Thank you so much Sahari–I do believe the silken tofu is a culprit..I was cooking today and tried it straight out of the box and voila that's the yucky taste that ruined my 1st attempt. I even tried boiling the silken tofu to see if it helped get rid of the yuck to no avail. This week I am going to try it again. Susan V your recipes have completely inspired me:)THANK YOU

36 Anonymous March 4, 2010 at 6:02 pm

I have a dumb question to ask about these, due to the fact that I have always hated eggs and have never tried quiche of any variety. Are these supposed to be eaten hot or cold? I have noticed people saying that these are especially delicious the next day. Did you reheat them, and if so, how? Do they need to be reheated in the oven, or will a microwave do the trick without reducing them to sludge?

37 Sandy September 13, 2010 at 3:53 pm

@ Anonymous the egg-hater: Quiche is served hot, room-temperature (whatever that is . . . ) and cold, depending on the occasion, I guess. I personally like it best hot but that’s me. I’ve reheated egg-based quiche-in-a-crust in the microwave and had it turn out just fine, with sometimes a little water exuded on the plate. Do you like the way other tofu-based foods reheat in the zapper?
Sandy, a veggie-loving omnivore

38 roxbanta March 21, 2010 at 7:42 pm

Finally made this today. Very good. I made it with kale instead of mushrooms and it was great. A great quiche recipe that will probably do well with a variety of veggie ingredients. Thanks for your blog, love it!

39 Sherri - Konin - PDX Yogini March 21, 2010 at 8:10 pm

We so, so love this recipe! We have made several variations, mostly because neither of us like mushrooms. Favorites have been fresh asparagus & red bell pepper, broccoli & carrot.

Tonight I used the recipe for inspiration to make a savory bread pudding out of a stale baguette a neighbor gave us on a walk earlier this week (she's a caterer and had just got home from an event with leftover baguettes). For veggies I used some carrot, celery, red onion, fresh garlic and a good-sized bunch of green curly kale. Popped the whole thing in a 9 x 12 pan and the house smells fabulous!

Thanks for the great recipes, inspiration and the handy pressure cooker beans reference (it is printed out and stuck to my fridge)!

40 Abbeygirl March 27, 2010 at 8:52 am

Oh, this recipe is so good and so easy. I too used spinach and sun dried tomatoes. I also added a little more corn starch, and used a metal non stick muffin tin. They baked for 35 minutes and came out of the pan in one piece after cooling for 10 minutes. The only thing I would recommend is make a double recipe as they disappear fast!!!

41 Ping Tree March 27, 2010 at 11:43 am

Very nice. this is perfect to trick my kids for a very healthy meal – they LOOOVVEEEE tarts and for sure this tufo flavoured treat as well.
Thanks a lot for sharing this recipe.

42 Jonathan March 27, 2010 at 11:45 am

This is definitely one of my most favourite food blog. I od not find only rare and delicious began treats but many sorts of wonderful recipes as well!

43 chris in astoria May 23, 2010 at 1:26 pm

Unbelievable. I’m recently vegetarian and I think this may be better than any egg based quiche I’ve ever had.

Blew me away.

44 Penny May 28, 2010 at 4:53 am

Hi Susan!

I cook for someone who is allergic to yeast. If I omit the nutritional yeast from the recipe would I have to add more cornstarch? If so, how much do you think would be needed?

Thank you for all of your awesome recipes!

45 SusanV May 28, 2010 at 7:40 am

If you omit the nutritional yeast, you’re taking away most of the flavor. I suppose you could increase the other herbs and spices to compensate, but the yeast is there for seasoning, not thickening.

46 carrie June 15, 2010 at 5:38 am

Hi Susan – Thanks for the great recipes! Would these quiches freeze well? Thanks!

47 SusanV June 15, 2010 at 7:34 am

I’ve never frozen them so I can’t say for sure. Freezing changes the texture of tofu, but sometime that can make things taste even better. You could try freezing one of them first, just to see the results. We never have ANY leftover, so I’m not sure I can perform this experiment myself. :)

48 Angela June 28, 2010 at 11:47 am

i have tried making this twice now….. and when i remove form the oven the bottoms of the quiches are soggy! they kind of firm up after cooling….but it’s not like its supposed to be….. should i add more corn starch?

49 SusanV June 28, 2010 at 11:53 am

Sorry about that, Angela. You could try adding a little more cornstarch and cooking them a little longer to see if they firm up more.

50 Angela June 28, 2010 at 3:42 pm

ok, this is some conspiracy or something…..i cook alot with much success and now i’ve made these dam things for the 3rd time! i didn’t use cups this time as greasing cups just seems to add to the problem. so i put straight into greased muffin tins (as someone on here suggested). now they’re stuck and the only way to get them out is with a spoon which of course destroys them because they are too soft in the middle. do i really need to buy silicone cups? should the veg be processed with the tofu to make it smooth before baking…(did that on 2nd attempt which seems to help a little)… the only ingred different is i’m using corgette instead of mushrooms…. people, what do i have to do to make these dam things!!!

51 Sandy September 13, 2010 at 3:46 pm

@ Susan: My husband has trouble digesting eggs, so I’m definitely going to try this . . . without the garlic, which he also can’t eat; they do sound good! Thank you!

@ Angela: possibly it’s the courgette (which I think U.S. readers will know as zucchini or summer squash) – it’s a vegetable with a lot of water in it. Try salting-and-draining, as you would eggplant, or panfry it just enough to brown, before dicing.

52 Angela June 28, 2010 at 3:45 pm

i put extra cornstrach which didn’t really make alot of diff and baked for the whole 35 mins. i’m using the right tofu and everything! i even have an oven thermometer, so it’s not that. this is why i think i must need silicone cups. i just can’t believe that everyone can make these except me.

53 bluegrass2 April 7, 2012 at 6:39 pm

Angela, you’re not the only one! Mine were like scrambled eggs too with just a crust on the top. Followed the recipe to a t and kept cooking and kept cooking. I used paper in a metal pan, not silicon. Maybe that’s the key. Susan said to try adding more cornstarch and also that the moisure of the tofu might vary. I’m going to give it another try but not for tomorrow.

54 Angie July 20, 2013 at 7:09 pm

I made these last night and I had the same problem. I used silken tofu in a metal muffin pan. They didn’t set under the crust and they stuck to the pan. I ended up scooping the whole lot out and tried to ‘scramble’ them in an effort to make the set, to no avail.
I think the tofu is the culprit. In Australia we only have silken OR firm tofu, not firm silken tofu. We can also only get the fresh stuff from the fridge (which I think contains more water) and not the type you buy in the aseptic boxes on the shelf.
I personally wasn’t a fan of the nutritional yeast flavour either, so if I try this again I will use firm tofu, more corn flour, and some grated vegan cheese.

55 Elizabeth August 3, 2010 at 1:05 pm

This sounds great! I have yet to find a good quiche recipe! I think this will be it! Thank you, I look forward to trying it!

56 Josephgirl September 5, 2010 at 1:49 pm

Can I convert this recipe to a mid sized quiche plate? Also, can I use the firm tofu instead?

57 Sara Gothard September 25, 2010 at 1:53 pm

In concocting my own vegan quiche, I found your recipe exceedingly inspirational! I tinkered with it, but linked to your version on my blog. Tiny cup-quiches are a great idea!

58 Guy from Hoboken September 26, 2010 at 10:20 am

I have made these mini quiches so many times for dinner parties. I rarely ever tell my guests that they are vegan until after they are eating them. They all LOVE them and devour them so quickly. I have also made this quiche in a full sized quiche dish to serve as a meal with a nice tossed salad on the side. Just be sure to let it bake a bit longer if you make it the full size. To mix things up, I have also made them with some chopped soy bacon (I use Smart bacon) in it.

My immigrant home-cookin’ stick to your ribs Greek mother loves this dish as well. She said “in the old country we didn’t use Tofu, I wish we did!”

Susan you are a true diva. Love you, love your blog.

59 Una September 26, 2010 at 10:48 am

I made this in a crust. Fits a regular nine in crust just fine. Tasted great. I did omit the tahini. Just don’t like it. I added extra nutritional yeast. (add extra to everything. Slighly addicted there.) and I did add a bit of coconut oil to make up for the fat missing from the tahini other than that followed as directed. Thank you thank you!!!

60 Rhoda September 27, 2010 at 3:08 pm

I just want to say that these are very yummy. I am new to this Vegan diet and I am having a really hard time adjusting to it. Thanks Susan for being so clear in your directions and for coming up with something that actually tastes good! I am now going to try a few more of your recipes. The great thing is that the health benefits are well worth weeding through the recipes that don’t taste so great. Thanks I can always find good ones here!

61 Foodie Girl October 1, 2010 at 9:55 pm

My husband is a meatatarian, but I made this and he really loved it!! I had a great time with this. It was so easy to make. Thank you for the recipe!

62 Kim October 8, 2010 at 9:31 pm

I made this tonight and LOVED it! I posted it on my blog, I hope you don’t mind.

63 Susan Connors November 23, 2010 at 5:24 pm

Will the paper muffin cups work also for the quiche? Can’t wait to try these! Just tried the Impossible Pumpkin Pie last night. So good! Hard to keep away from. Enjoyed the Pumpkin Bites too. They are so good as you say, the next day. I have enjoyed all of the recipes I have made thus far! I make your Dirty Little Secret Soup weekly. It’s so easy and nutritious! I really enjoy reading the little stories behind each recipe. These are what inspire me to make your wonderful dishes. Thank you! I could go on….. Love your site!

64 SusanV November 23, 2010 at 6:54 pm

Thanks for your kind words! I’m afraid that the quiches would stick to paper muffin cups. You might wind up having to scrape them off with your teeth! :)

65 Jill Boyd November 29, 2010 at 10:45 pm

These sound very intriguing. I might try to make them with sun dried tomatoes and green olives instead of the mushrooms and peppers (not a mushroom and pepper kind of gal). Do you think this would work?

I love your blog, by the way … a recent delightful discovery in the blogosphere.

66 SusanV November 30, 2010 at 7:54 am

Thanks, Jill! I think sun dried tomatoes and olives would be great. Feel free to use whatever vegetables sound good to you. As long as you stick to approximately the same amount, it should work fine.

67 Fiona December 3, 2010 at 10:16 pm

I just made this for dinner and I love it!!! (My fiance however did not like it at all, so I think you have to be a quiche lover to begin with to like this version of quiche perhaps.) It’s amazing that something that tastes exactly like the dairy and egg filled version from my childhood has so few calories and is so much healthier! I am so thankful that you created this wonder of a quiche. I can’t wait to tell my mom about your recipe because she is also a quiche lover. I poured the batter into a whole wheat pie crust bought from Whole Foods (definitely not fat free – filled with tons of palm oil – so I would not buy again). But it did pair beautifully. I would perhaps make it again in the crust for company (if I knew they liked quiche). I baked it for about 50 minutes and it was cooked to perfection. From now on I will make it in muffin tins without crust for myself. Thanks Susan!

68 kifar December 4, 2010 at 2:15 pm

OK…. this does sound DELICIOUS…. Now, you can’t have low-fat all the time BUT how can this be changed to indeed make it low-fat? Take out the tahini, of course. Low-fat soy milk. Interesting how low that % calories from fat could go.

69 SusanV December 4, 2010 at 3:16 pm

If you take out the tahini, that subtracts .8 grams of fat per 4 quiches (or .2 g from each quiche). The soymilk I used contributed only 1 gram of fat to the entire recipe, so I doubt changing that will help much (I used soymilk that has 4 g fat per cup). The rest of the fat is naturally occurring in the tofu and vegetables, so it’ll probably be impossible to get it lower than about 1.5 grams of fat per serving.

70 Jeanne December 4, 2010 at 2:29 pm

I can’t use any recipes that contain nutritional yeast because I can’t find it in any grocery store. We don’t have a whole foods and most of our grocery stores are lucky if I can find tofu. It is terrible for vegans in the northern area of Pittsburgh.

71 MyRedSandals April 18, 2012 at 10:30 pm

Amazon.com and Vitacost. com have these… just order it online and have it shipped to you!

72 Arlene December 4, 2010 at 3:33 pm

Mini Crustless Tofu Quiches mmmmmmmmmmmgood

73 Annika December 5, 2010 at 6:33 am

Sounds absolutely amazing, we are going to be eating this at Christmast time for sure! I just have one question, as I don’t own a blender as it broke… Could I use plain soy yoghurt instead of tofu (which I’d imagine might be kinda hard to get smooth with a fork!) or would that make it just too wet? I might try to do this with the ingredients you suggested, and just try my best to get them smooth.. lol

74 Kristen December 12, 2010 at 4:59 pm

These are amazing. I was a little worried about serving tofu quiche to a group of non-vegans, but I should have doubled the recipe. These went fast.

75 Mari December 19, 2010 at 5:03 pm

Can I ask why you use yeast in some of your savory recipes?

76 SusanV December 19, 2010 at 5:07 pm

Mari, I use nutritional yeast (not baking yeast) to give recipes a richer, deeper ( and some would say cheesier) flavor. In this recipe, it helps recreate the cheesy, eggy flavor of real quiches.

77 LeeAnne December 20, 2010 at 8:57 am

I made this for my almost one year old son and he loved it! Didn’t have mushrooms, so I just threw in some spinach. Made a double batch and froze them, so I can pack them for his lunch. They set up nice and make good (albeit a little messy) finger food.

78 Marlene December 23, 2010 at 10:34 am

These are the bomb. Omnivores like them too (always a good test!)

79 Veggiebel December 23, 2010 at 2:59 pm

OMG! These quiche’s are little pots of gold! My husband has secondary progressive MS and is following a very low fat diet to try to keep it in check (he was already vegan) and it sometimes gets a bit tricky to find tasty things for him to have at lunchtime at work. I had to hide the 4 I’d saved for his lunch as he enjoyed them so much tonight at supper. Thank you so much Susan for your wonderful, easy to follow recipes which really deliver.

80 Allie December 31, 2010 at 1:04 pm

Hey Susan!

Let me first say you have really helped me and my husband out with amazing vegan recipes! I LOVE these little gems!

I made my own pie crust to go with it bit I seem to not be able to get it to firm up in the center, even after 45 mins. How long can I leave this in the oven without ruining it? I have been doing it at 350, should the temp be more?

I am trying again this weekend as I made a full 9×9 one without a crust before and it firmed up nicely so it must have been something I did! LOL!

Thank you again for being amazing at what you do while helping other vegan make amazing meals to show everyone we can have amazing food too! (I bring your goodies into work and the coworkers eat them up!)

Allie

81 SusanV December 31, 2010 at 1:49 pm

As long as it’s not burning or getting very dried out, you should be able to bake it for longer. I suggest putting a ring of aluminum foil around the edges about halfway through so that the edges won’t overcook befor the middle gets done. Raising the temp another 25 degrees would probably be a good idea for a full pie size quiche. Good luck!

82 Sez from Melbourne January 2, 2011 at 9:45 pm

Susan! Thankyou so much for sharing this recipe, and so many other delicious recipes. I made a batch of these for a New Year’s Eve picnic – they were fantastic. My omnivore husband loved them, and said that they were way better than egg-based quiches (which he won’t eat). My dog even stole one off my plate and munched it down happily.
I have been trying out many of your recipes (I brought your Thanksgiving Loaf to Christmas lunch with my in-laws who loved it) and I wanted to thank you. I have been vegetarian for 14 years, but vegan only since March. Your website has given me so many great ideas and without the fat and calories of other recipes.

Thankyou so very much!
Sez

83 Anna Down Under January 4, 2011 at 3:18 am

Well, I gave it my fourth try. Since I have loved so many of your recipes, I can only assume that either the tofu or the corn flour (cornstarch) in Australia is just too different. I’ve tried using different kinds of tofu and adding more corn flour and nothing seems to work. I must say, the resulting product TASTES wonderful but won’t come out of the tins easily ad collapses into a pile of mush. Ah well … but even hubby had to admit as we gobbled them up with a spoon, they do taste great. :)

84 Angie July 20, 2013 at 7:19 pm

Hey Anna,
Yes, same. I used silken tofu last night and it just didn’t set. In any of your attempts did you try firm tofu? I reckon the Aussie silken is the culprit, just too much water in it.
However, I’m not a fan of the nutritional yeast flavour. Have you ever substituted that with grated vegan cheese? I’m keen to try that next time.

85 Kristi Link January 18, 2011 at 3:41 pm

Do you think these will freeze/refrigerate well? I always pack my daughter’s lunch and think this would make a fun change from the pb&J sandwiches she is always asking for. She is 4 and probably as picky as E is!

86 SusanV January 18, 2011 at 4:15 pm

Kristi, I know they refrigerate well, but I haven’t tried freezing them so I can’t say about that. We eat them too quickly to ever get to freeze them!

87 Marsha January 28, 2011 at 12:33 pm

These are so good. I’ve made them several times for pitch ins at work and church (where I am the only vegan). I always make a double batch and generally don’t have any to bring home. I even started telling people in line that they were tofu/vegan hoping they would leave me some…no such luck. Thanks for another wonderful recipe.

88 Fiona February 1, 2011 at 4:19 pm

I made this recipe for a second time, curious to see if the recipe would be different now that I am living in Australia rather than California. Unfortunately someone ate my silken firm tofu not knowing it was for my recipe so I was stuck with regular firm tofu. I also cooked them this time in nonstick muffin tins instead of silicone muffin tins. The flavor is the same still but the quiches formed a weird skin on them. Firm tofu is good in a pinch but I think when I use silken tofu firm again they will come out exactly like they did in California. So to Anna from Down Under, I don’t think the tofu or cornstarch is different here as mine stuck together just fine.

89 Angie July 20, 2013 at 7:23 pm

Hey Fiona,
I think the issue for Aussies is using silken tofu, not firm. You can’t get firm silken tofu here so every time I see silken tofu in an American recipe I think that means silken tofu, but I don’t think so. I think it’s possibly the equivalent to our firm?
I made these last night with Aussie silken tofu and they didn’t set at all.
I will try again with firm tofu and see how that goes.

90 Maraika December 4, 2013 at 11:59 pm

Angie, I buy Firm (silken, although it does not say silken on the pack) Morinaga Tofu from the Asian section on the supermarket shelf. Long life pack. I use if for all my Tofu baking dishes. Also for desserts. It does not have an “after taste” like some of the others may. I also use Blue Lotus brand. Woolworths now have their own Macro brand with many varieties of tofu. I have not made these Quiches – yet.

91 Liz February 11, 2011 at 1:48 pm

I finally made these today after I had been drooling over them for weeks!! They definitely didn’t turn out as pretty as yours, but I believe that they were just as delicious!!
Thanks for all that ya do!! I spend, sometimes too much time, looking at all your fantastic ideas and recipes!

92 Hannah February 15, 2011 at 2:31 pm

These really are splendid! I made them in little heart shaped moulds for Valentine’s day and used broccoli instead of mushrooms. Delicious! Thank you!

93 val February 22, 2011 at 10:28 am

Hi Susan
Love your blog and the delish vegan recipes !
One question though …. if someone has a problem with yeast (allergic) can they
still use nutritional yeast ? I keep seing it pop up on vegan recipes and im not sure i want to use it .

94 SusanV February 22, 2011 at 10:31 am

I’m really not sure, val, and I’d hate to give you bad advice. You should ask your doctor.

95 Nikol February 26, 2011 at 6:29 pm

Made these for my boyfriend a Culinary Arts student and not a vegan. He thought they were good enough to take to class. They just finished working with Tofu. He said nothing they worked with was as tasty. This was my first time. Used spinach instead of mushrooms. Firm tofu with extra milk. The smooth and creamy consistency reminded me of cake mix. Thanks Susan.

96 Get Skinny, Go Vegan. March 10, 2011 at 1:53 pm

I have to quit looking at your blog when I have ZERO ingredients in my kitchen and when I am hungry.

97 Natalie March 10, 2011 at 2:16 pm

Oh my. This is another of my absolute faves that I’ve gotten from your blog. (^_^)b

The first time, I made it as written.
Now, my kid is practically offended by the consistency of mushrooms. She is not at all a red bell pepper fan, but she is most definitely a mushroom-hater. Nevertheless, the girl was a formidable mini crustless quiche gobbler. She did dreamily list all the various possibilities of veggie combos we could play with, as she shoved more of the m/bp quiche in her mouth.

We are living in that desperate pocket of time when nearly all your fresh produce has been devoured, but you don’t yet have time/money to go to the store. Last night, I was trying to dream up something to throw in your yummy little cup size creations.

I decided on spinach, (Lightlife smart) bacon, and roasted sun dried tomatoes. It was RIDICULOUSLY good. I doubled the amt of garlic and onion (using yellow inst. of chives/green), used hemp milk (it’s what I had & is my preference), used 3 tbsp of nooch, ~ 1 1/2 tbsp cornstarch, ~ 1 packed cup chopped fresh spinach leaves, 6 reconstituted sun dried tomatoes, & 6 pieces of relatively crispy smart bacon. I kept the rest the same. Mouthwatering…

The sad part is, I somehow only got 11 out of it. I was really nice and halved the odd one, with my daughter, for lunch today. :) I think it was the decreased bulk of the veggies I used, and the fact that I stupidly used my righteous new Vitamix to make the tofu mixture… (couldn’t scrape every last bit out like I compulsively do with my food processor).

1 SBST quiche= 52.2 cal, 1.9 fat, 5.5 protein, .8 fiber, 3% calcium, 4% iron, 6% vit A, 2% vit c

I am def making & freezing diff variations of these quiches to have on hand. I’m afraid it will ruin them- wasting time, ingredients, and deliciousness. :/
When I get around to actually doing it, I will update.

Cheers, for another great one.
( ^_^)/U*U\(^_^ )

98 Maria Pina March 31, 2011 at 1:14 am

I do not know how to save my favorite recipes in the box !

99 SusanV March 31, 2011 at 7:48 am

There should be a link near the top of each post that says “ADD TO RECIPE BOX.” Just click it and it will be added.

100 Amelia April 2, 2011 at 7:47 am

*love*
Could you prep the mixture, refridgerate and then bake the next day? …as everything is fried etc beforehand. I want to make these for my birthday (tomorrow) but don’t really want to cook it all on the day :)

101 SusanV April 2, 2011 at 9:46 am

I think you could prep the mixture the day before, or you can also bake them beforehand and heat them up the next day. They reheat very well.

Happy Birthday!

102 Laura April 24, 2011 at 3:15 pm

I made this into a nice strata for an Easter Potluck, and got good reviews. I just used a double batch of custard over some cubed bread, cooked vegetables, veggie sausage and some vegan cheese. I let it sit in the fridge overnight and baked it for about 45 min this morning, then left it in @ 200 for keep warm while we were at church. Of course I made it much less healthy, but it made a great, easy holiday meal and it was less work than a bunch of mini-quiches for a crowd. I usually add a little black salt to this with good results but I was out today.

Thanks for another great, healthy meal Susan! Every week when I meal plan I make at least 1 thing from your blog.

103 Ginny May 10, 2011 at 7:13 pm

I had 6 mini quiches left over, so I mashed them with a fork, added a little mayo, and made “eggless” egg salad sandwiches. They were delicious.

104 Stacie May 11, 2011 at 6:25 am

I tried this last night… i used almond milk instead of soy milk, because that’s all i had… i didnt have chives, but I used green onions. Other than that, i followed it to a “t”… i didnt know how i would feel about the rosemary in them, but these turned out great!!!! :) This was my first recipe of yours that I have tried, but I will be trying more!!!:)

105 Jill May 18, 2011 at 11:11 am

I really wish mine came out like your picture! I’m not exactly sure what went wrong, but think it must have been the type or handling of the tofu. Will try once more. I was looking for a good lunchbox food.

106 SusanV May 18, 2011 at 11:29 am

I’m sorry to hear that, Jill. Be sure to use the Mori-Nu silken tofu in an aseptic package, extra-firm. And if you did and it still didn’t set right, try a little more corn starch.

107 Pehpsii May 26, 2011 at 4:00 pm

Hi! I found this recipe and tried it out tonight. I’m allergic to mushrooms but i fried up some small squared of ordinary tofu and tossed in some chopped up sun dried tomatoes and black olives in the final mix and they turned out awesome!
Such a perfect picnic food! I sliced some cherry tomatoes and put one half on top of each quiche for garnish and they were so pretty! I’m gonna use these for Mothers Day picnic this weekend (Swedish Mothers Day)
Thanks!

108 Victoria May 29, 2011 at 9:57 am

Can regular cheese be used instead of nutritional yeast? I have no way to obtain it.

109 SusanV May 29, 2011 at 10:25 am

I’m guessing that Parmesan cheese might work, but I can’t promise that it won’t mess up the consistency. You could just leave out the nut. yeast and increase the other seasonings.

110 Alexis June 16, 2011 at 3:05 pm

Oh no :( I royally screwed this recipe up (not a surprise haha!)! Even though they came out like soggy disks, I am so excited to try this again! They tasted lovely but just looked horrendous. Thank you so much for this recipe and next time I will definitely learn from my mistakes and hopefully they’ll turn out perfectly. :)

111 Erica July 5, 2011 at 10:06 pm

Also made these today. I wanted to use what I had left from the banana coconut squares (which are my favorite dessert ever!) so I put it towards this. Epic win!
Mine look a little differently but are just as delicious!! I barely got 3 for myself before my non-vegan dad stole them away from me. Big family favorite. Another that will be made again this week. Thank you for sharing your creation with us! As a former egg lover, I definitely would not have known they were vegan had I not made them myself. Going vegan was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. With recipes like this, I’m not missing a thing!
How do you not have a cook deal!? I cannot sing your praise enough.

112 Michele M July 11, 2011 at 8:58 am

I have made this in many variations, mini and full size and it’s always delicious. I have also started to use the tofu “egg” part of this for veganizing some of my other favorite recipes, including an amazing egg and noodle dish that my mom made every year for Easter.

113 Taylor July 19, 2011 at 12:21 pm

I remember finding this blog a few years ago, and I was hesitant to make anything that sounded too healthy. I found it again recently, and now it’s my favorite blog!! The quiches are in the oven, I can’t wait to try them out! Thanks for continuing to bring us healthy and awesome recipes!

114 jamie August 7, 2011 at 6:06 pm

Amazing! I am a recent vegan convert, but have not had eggs or dairy in about 5 months. I love egg-y dishes, and these were awesome!
The only thing I changed was leaving out the tahini and replaced the mushrooms with japanese eggplant (due to allergies). Love them!

115 Lois Feld August 10, 2011 at 11:27 pm

Can these quiche be frozen?

116 SusanV August 10, 2011 at 11:49 pm

I’ve never tried to freeze them, so I’m not sure. Freezing may change the texture a little, but maybe not in a bad way.

117 angela August 12, 2011 at 10:52 am

Can I substitute a different tofu if mine is not “light”.

also can I substitute almond milk or flax seed milk for the soymilk.

:-)

looks delicious.

thanks susan

118 SusanV August 12, 2011 at 11:10 am

Yes to both questions, Angela! As long as the tofu is silken and at least firm, it will work.

119 Get Skinny, Go Vegan. August 12, 2011 at 2:37 pm

OMG these are ADORABLE!! Think I know what I am bringing to the next potluck I am invited to! So cute.

120 yvonna August 14, 2011 at 8:45 am

Hi Susan, I am a mother of three, 2 army boys and a fresh teenage girl who loves trying out new recipes. This one looks simple enough and the ingredients are easily availiable here ( guess it is everywhere), I can’t wait try let her try it and tasting one myself. Thank you.

121 HappyDane August 19, 2011 at 4:43 pm

Hello!
I’ve been making your recipes for a while now, and I just want to thank you so much for making this blog and posting such delicious recipes! I’m quite young and my parents were very much against me being vegetarian and now going vegan, but they accepted it once I started making your recipes and showed them your blog! They love the food – even my father who’s a butcher likes it, takes seconds and he usually ate meat to all his meals! You’re amazing! And I really don’t think I can thank you enough for opening my eyes and my family’s to vegan food.
I’m sorry for rambling on this lovely recipe – which is definitely a favorite – but I just needed to tell you how much I appreciate your blog. :’)

Lots of love from a Dane~

122 Art August 24, 2011 at 6:27 pm

Question on nutritional yeast. You include this ingredient in a number of your recipe. I am new to it. What does it contribute to the recipe? It is used for ?
Is it a wheat free product?
Thanks!

123 SusanV August 24, 2011 at 6:54 pm

Nutritional yeast gives food a rich, cheesy flavor. It is wheat-free. Here are some links to articles that give more information:

124 Lianne95519 September 11, 2011 at 4:07 pm

Susan,
I cooked this last night and there are only 2 left! I wonder if I can double the ingredients and fill the muffin tins up so they are not mini? Ever try that? Thanks for another great meal.

125 Michelle B October 10, 2011 at 11:21 am

I came across this recipe while looking for something to do with extra silken tofu – what a great idea! I made it with broccoli & mushrooms, and had closer to 20 oz. of tofu, so increased the flavorings accordingly. Also, ever since I bought a set of cute 8 oz. soufflé ramekins, I’m always trying to find ways to use them. This filled 4 of them nicely, and they set up well after baking for 50 minutes. One ramekin was a nice breakfast portion, served with an English muffin and some fruit. My omnivore hubby said “preferable to regular quiche”. High praise indeed!

126 Tracy October 24, 2011 at 2:16 pm

Is there a substitute for yeast?

127 Ernie October 27, 2011 at 4:57 pm

Would it be the same baking time for the mini-size muffin pans? Thank you.

128 SusanV October 27, 2011 at 4:59 pm

They will probably cook much more quickly. I would check them often.

129 Ernie October 27, 2011 at 9:18 pm

Thank you, Susan. I love your recipes!

130 Ernie October 30, 2011 at 11:14 pm

These were very tasty but since I used the mini cupcake size baking tins, I started checking after 10 minutes which is a bit premature. 15-20 minutes max baking time for the smaller cups.

131 Erin November 27, 2011 at 11:30 am

I’ve made these several times and they are always delicious, but I can never get them to set up – they always fall apart. I’ve tried altering the cooking time & temp to no avail, also tried adding more cornstarch as was suggested somewhere above. I’m wondering if it’s because I usually add spinach (too much moisture maybe?) or if it could be an altitude thing? I live above 5,000 feet.

I love the spinach in these (I also add a drop of liquid smoke – a trick I learned from you Susan!), so I’d like to find a way to keep making them with spinach … less soymilk maybe??

I’ll keep making them because they are so yummy, but I’d like them look look as cute as they do in the picture! Any suggestions appreciated

132 Susan Voisin November 27, 2011 at 11:36 am

Erin, how much spinach are you adding? Is it fresh or frozen, cooked or raw, chopped or whole leaf? And are you leaving out the peppers and mushrooms or adding the spinach in addition to those ingredients?

It’s all about balance, so I suspect the spinach is throwing off the balance of ingredients somehow, and it will just take some experimentation to figure out what you should increase or decrease in order to keep the spinach.

133 Erin November 27, 2011 at 5:23 pm

I would say I’m adding about a half a cup of fresh chopped spinach (it’s hard to tell because spinach cooks down so much – it’s a big handful before being sauteed), and I usually saute it for just a bit with some onions that have been caramelized before adding it. I’m leaving out the mushrooms & peppers.

134 Erin November 27, 2011 at 5:24 pm

ps thank you so much for always responding to my questions when I post! :)

135 SMC December 6, 2011 at 6:05 pm

Thank you for your fab recipe. I wasn’t expecting them to turn out only because I once tried your fabulous looking omelette and was very unsuccessful. However, these were fab. I’m not a great pepper fan so I substituted with some shopped fennel and sun-dried tomatoes. I was a little worried as the mixture in the blender seemed quite thick but I had followed the instructions for the wet ingredients to the letter. I baked them directly in the muffin cups without silicone. They took about 25 minutes in my convection oven and are really quite yummy. I don’t think I will use sundried tomatoes again but may use mushrooms, olives and capers and even finely chopped asparagus. I also made them with full (not lite) firm silken tofu so they probably are a little richer. All in all, delish. Oh, also, I used hemp milk because I didn’t have any soy milk. Next time however I think I will use coconut milk. They are the perfect appetiser or main with a yummy salad. Thanks Susan. I have missed quiches since turning vegan and this is a bonus indeed.

136 Susan Voisin December 7, 2011 at 12:05 pm

I’m so glad you enjoyed them! Thanks for letting me know your variations.

137 Mary December 11, 2011 at 8:52 am

I’m baking these for my housewarming party — so excited!

138 Crystal December 14, 2011 at 11:11 am

Another delicious recipe! Thanks Susan! :)

139 trish December 16, 2011 at 5:33 am

these tasted good, but did not hold together at all! (i’m av good cook so was somewhat annoyed! :-\
I used silken firm tofu (but not the mori-no tetra pack stuff), and no soy milk, baked for 40+ mins and then let sit in the warm oven for an hour. used mini silicon cups. the tops were perfect, but there’s no way the rest would hold together. would have been better in a crust of some sort. worked well as a creamy scrambled ‘egg’. next time i think i’ll add some besan (gram/chickpea flour), or even just regular flour.
for those who can’t have yeast, you could try some dijon mustard, or mustard powder and extra onion & garlic powder.

140 Susan Voisin December 16, 2011 at 7:33 am

Sorry about that! It’s the tofu. Everyone who’s had that problem has used something other than Mori-nu.

141 Veganchica December 28, 2011 at 11:36 am

I couldn’t find lite firm silken tofu. I went to 2 grocery stores and they only had silken OR firm. I thought it might be the shelf stable one but neither store carries them anymore.
I don’t use much tofu and decided on the silken and followed the rest of the recipe exactly. I cooked them for 35 min in my muffin pan, let them cool for 10 mins and they fell apart. So I think I should have used the firm.
The flavor was amazing!! I loved them. I think I might buy the firm tofu later and try again tomorrow. My kids wouldn’t taste them.. maybe the rosemary? But I ate half the pan already. :)

142 Susan Voisin December 28, 2011 at 12:10 pm

Glad you liked the flavor. They don’t hold together unless you use the Mori-nu tofu in the aseptic package. Firm or extra-firm, regular or lite doesn’t matter–it just needs to be the shelf-stable kind.

143 Veganchica December 28, 2011 at 12:42 pm

I guess I could have seen that if I would have scrolled through the comments first. LOL
Thanks!

144 Susan Voisin December 28, 2011 at 2:16 pm

Sorry–I should have added that to the recipe before now, but your comments made me remember to do that. If there’s an Asian grocery store in your area, you may be able to find Mori-nu there.

145 Charlotte December 31, 2011 at 9:14 am

These are so cute! I was just thinking the other day how I’d love a recipe for a vegan quiche. Need to remember to pick up some tahini next time I go shopping!

146 Jillian January 15, 2012 at 2:54 pm

So so yummy! I’ve made these a few times, but I always do something different, depending on what ingredients I have. I also wanted to share that it does indeed work with other types of tofu, you just have to bake them a bit longer in my experience. Also, you don’t need a food processor, just a strong mashing arm! Here’s what I did today:
Used regular firm tofu, frozen kale instead of bell pepper, at least tripled the nutritial yeast, added cumin, used ground flaxseed instead of cornstarch, added olive oil to the mix. Mashed everything up because I don’t have a blender. Baked for the maximum time and then broiled the tops for a minute or so. They set up well but are a bit crumbly because of the type of tofu and lack of blending, but nobody minds around here.
Can’t stop eating them!!!

147 Veganice April 29, 2012 at 10:12 am

I too, make these all the time with different kinds of tofu. I just made them yesterday and used a pkg. of silken tofu blended with med-firm tofu. (double batch) The texture is smooth, but not silky – still very egg like and the flavor is all there. I like to add extra Nutr. Yeast and a squirt or two of liquid braggs (like I do for my scrambled tofu) just decrease soy milk slightly. I also made them with leek & asparagus this time – Amazing! This is a great and very versatile recipe that I have been enjoying for years – thank-you Susan!!

148 Lysa February 1, 2012 at 1:30 am

I am hooked. I made this recipe for the first time last week, and it was good but I think I added to many veggies that held water. I just had to cook them longer, but hey were great. I was so excited about vegan quiche!!!
These delicious little guys are perfect for an on the go breakfast, even when you are always in a rush(like myself).
This week I made them again, and they were even better! I put basil and sun dried tomatoes in..and by accident 1 Tbsp. of tahini rather that a tsp. I was worried, but they seemed to be fluffier and have better flavor. Thank you for such a great recipe:)

149 Julie February 4, 2012 at 10:57 am

These are fantastic! Thank you for this website and your wonderful recipes. However the “bottoms” were a little bit soggy and I used the mori-nu tofu. I was wondering if there was, perhaps, too much moisture. How do you get more of the water out of silken tofu. I dumped the package into a strainer, but I don’t think it did much and I haven’t figured out how to get it out of the package in one piece, or even a few, to press. Thoughts anyone?

150 Ruby March 10, 2012 at 3:34 pm

Hi there! What are some good sides to eat with this? Thanks!!

151 Wendy March 11, 2012 at 9:05 pm

Just made these tonight, and I’m no longer missing eggs! This are super good. I used black salt, and that gave them that “eggy” taste. Awesome recipe!!!

152 Sara April 6, 2012 at 1:33 pm

I don’t know why I doubted this recipe. You were right to suggest making a double batch, lol. I made these for dinner last night and the plate was cleaned right at the beginning of the meal! Your recipe is incredible.

I need recipes like these, thank you so much. My mother and I decided to start eating vegetarian about 3 years ago and found our health greatly improved, but within the past year of continuing our dietary studies concluded that vegan would be healthiest for us. This recipe is going to be one of our main dinner recipes from now on.

Because I did not have some of the ingredients and because I wanted to do a little experimenting of my own these were some of my changes.

- In place of the tahini I used 1 tsp Genmai Miso from Eden
- For the tofu Nasoya Extra Firm Tofu worked perfectly
- Because I love spinach I used half the amount of mushrooms and 1/2 cup spinach
- Finally, I put the mix into a pan for 24 miniature appetizer sized cups. They turned out better then the boxed ones we used to get for New Year’s!

Thanks again for such an excellent recipe!

153 bluegrass2 April 7, 2012 at 5:34 pm

The taste is delicious but having a hard time getting them firmed up like quiche–they are soft like custard. I followed the directions and then left them in another 15 minutes because they weren’t done and then let them cool for 15 minutes and they are still like custard. I have stuck them in again but probably won’t be taking them to an Easter dinner tomorrow. I used the paper muffin cups inside a metal muffin pan. I also used the same tofu it called for. Any idea what I did wrong?

154 Susan Voisin April 7, 2012 at 5:38 pm

I don’t think you did anything wrong, but sometimes the moisture content can be different from one batch of tofu to the next. Next time, try using more corn starch, which is what really holds them together. I would add an extra teaspoon or two.

155 bluegrass2 April 7, 2012 at 6:31 pm

Thanks Susan. I also made them in the Vita Mix, perhaps that was too strong. Next time I’ll do it in the food processor. Also I might press out a little liquid from the tofu. Thanks for replying and I love love love your recipes AND voted for you in the blog contest. Happy Passover or Happy Easter to you.

156 Verna April 8, 2012 at 9:30 pm

I love your website and recipes. Thanks so much for sharing.
I have individual silicone cupcake “papers” (for lack of a better word). Would you put them in regular muffin tins and bake the quiches that way or is there a better way? You say silicone will take longer than metal so I am wondering.
Thanks, Verna

157 Susan Voisin April 8, 2012 at 9:40 pm

Yes, that’s how I do it. Just put the silicon cups in the metal pan.

158 Dlholteen May 3, 2012 at 5:36 am

Hey Susan I’m a long time follower of your blog, I absolutely love your recipes! I’m planning my vegan DIY wedding this summer and I’m searching for recipes that can be made in advance and frozen, do you think these mini quiches would hold up being frozen???

159 Susan Voisin May 3, 2012 at 7:41 am

I wish I could tell you, but I haven’t tried freezing them. I suggest giving it a try and seeing if you like the flavor after they’ve been thawed. To give them the best test, keep them frozen for a few days before thawing. Have a great wedding!

160 Alice May 6, 2012 at 3:38 pm

I made this for lunch, using different veggies, almond milk, and potato starch, and it turned out well except that I had to make it in a pie pan and the very center didn’t quite firm up as much as the rest of the dish. Need to invest in a muffin tin soon. Will definitely make again. Thanks, Susan!

161 Kris Wilson May 20, 2012 at 11:45 am

I am new to vegan cooking. My husband and I are on a no oil vegan diet and are not suppose to eat Tahini. Is there a subsitute that I can use for this recipe?

Kris

162 Susan Voisin May 20, 2012 at 11:52 am

You can just leave the tahini out. It just adds a little flavor.

163 Tamara January 30, 2013 at 9:32 pm

I didn’t have tahini or cashew butter the first time I made these, so, I threw in a handful of raw cashews and that’s how I’ve been making them. We’re doing the plant based no oil thing too.

I have THREE batches right now, two in the oven (one in a pie dish and one in 12 silicone cups). I only had 2 bricks of Nori Firm and one soft. They seem to be taking longer to firm up but still look tasty. The big one is for home, the rest will be going to a school potluck where I teach. I might get more than 24 silcone cupcake sized ones based on how much I have left :)

164 Jess June 1, 2012 at 2:35 pm

Hi! I’m planning to make these for a graduation party and was wondering if they could be prepared in advance and frozen? If not, how far in advance do you think they could be made and stored in the fridge?

165 Susan Voisin June 1, 2012 at 3:08 pm

I haven’t tried freezing them, but it will probably work. Otherwise, I think they’re best if used within two or three days.

166 savannah williams June 20, 2012 at 2:20 pm

I just made these tofu quiches and they turned out great!! My local supermarket didn’t have the brand you suggested, but they still turned out delicious (next time, I think I may try to bake them at a higher temp to make them more firm). Also, I was out of nutritional yeast so I left it out and they were still flavorful!! Thanks for sharing.

167 Divya June 28, 2012 at 12:22 pm

I tried out this recipe last night, and it came out great!!! I did make some changes and added a little more spice to suit my palette.
Thank you so much for sharing such a tasty and healthy recipe! :-)
Here’s to wishing you more and more success in the kitchen!

Cheers!
Divya

168 Vicki-Lee July 2, 2012 at 12:52 am

Hi, my 22 month old was keen to try the tofu quiches but hated the flavour. She kept trying and was disappointed everytime (they look like biscuits or cakes!). Do you think the recipe would work with sweet potato or fruit? Do you think I would have to change the ingredients much? I need a softer flavour.

The ones I made appeared to rise but then flopped. What did I do wrong?

(My savoury swiss chard pie was fantastic! Except the baby wouldn’t eat it!)

169 Marlo July 23, 2012 at 1:12 pm

I really want to try this and some other recipes, but just found I have a yeast intolerance. What can I use instead of the nutrional yeast or what will happen if I don’t put it in.

170 Marlo July 23, 2012 at 1:16 pm

Opps – just say this was covered above. Sorry for posting

171 Missy July 31, 2012 at 2:03 pm

Is the type of tofu you are recommending non-GMO?

172 Susan Voisin July 31, 2012 at 3:42 pm

Yes, any organic tofu is non-GMO.

173 Alyssa October 16, 2012 at 10:00 pm

I see broccoli in the picture, but not in the recipe? :( Can I add it and if so, how much? Thanks!

174 Susan Voisin October 16, 2012 at 10:17 pm

The broccoli is shown just as a side dish, but if you want to use broccoli in your quiches, chop it up very small and don’t add more than about a cup of it.

175 Alyssa October 16, 2012 at 10:19 pm

Thanks so much for the quick reply!

176 Lisa Henderson November 18, 2012 at 2:06 pm

These were better than I expected. They might have been great if I had followed the instructions, but I was out of rosemary (used thyme), and I don’t really like mushrooms that much (used finely diced potatoes), also, I seemed to be out of green pepper, so I used a frozen onion pepper blend (cooked before adding). After reading all of the comments, I added an extra teaspoon of cornstarch — just in case. And somehow I forgot the tumeric. Even with all of the changes, they still came out great. My husband who is not a fan of anything tofu even liked them. I’m planning on stashing 3 in the freezer for a breakfast sandwich tomorrow. I’ll let you know how that turns out.

177 Lisa Henderson November 22, 2012 at 8:04 pm

Okay. I tried freezing one serving for breakfast the next morning. The froze just fine. When reheating in the microwave, they gave off a little water (I heated them wrapped in a paper towel). The texture wasn’t really any different. The outside had a crust that was originally a little crispy — and it was less so when heated in the microwave, but that happens to pretty much anything heated in a microwave. They were still really good.

178 Susan Voisin November 22, 2012 at 8:21 pm

Thanks for letting me know! I’m glad to hear that they freeze pretty well. Now I need to make a few batches!

179 Delicia December 1, 2012 at 9:56 pm

I have just made these crust less quiches, wowzer!!
They were amazing, thank you so much x

180 Elise perez December 20, 2012 at 11:32 am

I made these before I saw your note about the type of tofu to use. They came out very crumbly, but I was just like “What a great omelet!!” lol Regardless, this recipe is very tasty and I will make it again. This time with the right tofu.

181 Jessie January 11, 2013 at 6:58 pm

Hi Susan! Thanks for creating such an amazing blog. I love it! I am wondering if you have ever used black salt for an eggy taste in your quiche-like recipes. I read somewhere that can make tofu more egg-like, and I will hunt it down if I get a good recommendation from you! Also, I made your quinoa paella tonight and it might be the best paella I have ever had. Thanks again!!

182 Susan Voisin January 11, 2013 at 7:50 pm

I do! You just have to be careful because black salt (which is actually pink) is very strong, so too much can make your quiches taste like rotten eggs! I just add it a pinch at a time.

I’m so glad you liked the paella! :)

183 Melina January 23, 2013 at 4:47 am

Please don’t laugh at me but I’m not so sure what ‘smooth and silky’ is supposed to look like- any possibility of seeing a picture? I processed my tofu and it held together but I don’t know that I would consider it silky.

184 Tracy February 4, 2013 at 6:14 am

My husband and I made these yesterday and brought them to a Superbowl party, they were awesome! Thanks for sharing the recipe :-) Next party I am going to make them in the mini muffin tins – it’ll make more and I think they’ll look cute too. GREAT recipe :-)

185 Pnina February 9, 2013 at 9:00 am

Hi. I have made this recipe 3 times now, but not for a long time. I always just used whatever veggies I had on hand. This time I think they were especially delicious :)
I used broccoli and leeks which I sautéed in a generous amount of earth balance margarine for a bit more richness, had to leave out onion powder and chives as I was out, and instead of rosemary I used herbes de provence mix (which has rosemary in it). I wanted to eat all of them and could have easily, but stopped myself at 6 :). Only disappointment is that my 2.5 year old did not get excited about them :( She is soooo difficult to please though. Thanks so much.

186 Erica February 10, 2013 at 4:13 pm

Wow! These were so good!!! I should have made more than one batch! My husband really liked them too! I put a little bacon bit style tvp in mine!

187 Claire Gedman February 18, 2013 at 3:16 pm

Recently retired and becoming vegetarian ?vegan. I wanted to make my own seitan and find eggless egg recipes. Your web site is perfect. I am compiling my grocery list with items from your recipes. I have been buying all ready-made products and not feeling satisfied, plus I love to cook Can’t wait to try recipes on my teen grankids!

188 Sherrie April 27, 2013 at 8:40 pm

Sorry Susan, I didn’t like these at all. I purchased silicon baking cups specifically for this recipe and prepared exactly as instructed. I baked them about 35 minutes. They turned out way too moist and I didn’t like the flavor. I’m not sure if living in a high altitude city (Denver) would cause them to not firm up. I was disappointed because I was really looking forward to them.

189 MrsAwesome May 25, 2013 at 12:04 pm

Great recipe! I did a test run of it yesterday. I see that some people had issues with it not firming up etc so I just made a batch with some chopped green onions just incase it didn’t turn out good. I used the mori nu extra firm silken tofu because that’s what I had on had. I blended that in the blender with everything. I used black salt instead of regular salt to give it a bit of an egg flavor.

I didn’t have silicone muffin cups so I used a regular muffin tin sprayed with baking spray (the kind with flour in it). My batch made about 9 because I filled them a bit more full. I cooked them exactly 35 min and they were perfect and lifted out of the muffin tins perfectly. For those who use a regular muffin pan I’d suggest trying the baking spray or just use a little olive oil spray and dust the tins with flour afterwards. They were a HUGE hit and gone in only a few minutes. I’m going to be making more today and will also attempt to make it into a full sized quiche. Thanks SO MUCH for this amazing recipe!!

190 April November 11, 2013 at 9:58 am

Fantastic recipe. I only use sprouted tofu, so I think the cooking time will be considerably less, we will soon see. Thank you for posting~

191 April December 4, 2013 at 6:23 pm

Hi Susan!
I want to make these for xmas brunch, can I make the batter the night before and store it in the fridge until I cook them? Thank you!!!

192 Susan Voisin December 4, 2013 at 7:17 pm

Yes, but they may take a little longer to cook since the batter will be cold.

193 April December 4, 2013 at 7:41 pm

Ok perfect, thank you!

194 Michelle December 4, 2013 at 6:40 pm

YUM! For those who don’t/can’t do soy, I would sub cooked quinoa or beans, instead.

195 Susan Voisin December 4, 2013 at 7:18 pm

Good luck with that. ;-)

196 Mandy December 7, 2013 at 2:20 pm

I was going to make these as an appetizer for a party. Is there any way I could bake these ahead of time and freeze them for a few days or should they keep in the refrigerator?

197 Susan Voisin December 8, 2013 at 2:35 pm

I think someone else commented that they do freeze well, but I haven’t tried it myself.

198 Sandi December 15, 2013 at 9:54 pm

I would love to print this out but need to email it to my husband who can print it for me, I haven’t been able to find where I can email this recipe from your Facebook page. Please enlighten me .

199 Susan Voisin December 15, 2013 at 10:32 pm

Sandi, you could just send your husband the link to this page: http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2006/12/mini-crustless-tofu-quiches.html

Then he could click on Print Recipe to print it for you.

200 Sally January 11, 2014 at 7:15 pm

I’ve seen this for years and am now ready to make it for a brunch! But my tastebuds have never liked rosemary, can’t stand it in fact. Seems like it would be missing something to just leave it out. What other seasoning(s) might work? Basil? Dill?

Thanks!

201 Susan Voisin January 11, 2014 at 8:13 pm

I think basil would be great. Hope you enjoy them!

202 Amy January 23, 2014 at 8:20 pm

Just came across this recipe, nice idea. The mini crust less tofu quiches are very good. The second time I added other vegetables, because I did not have mushrooms, and they turned out well!

203 Technus March 29, 2014 at 6:27 pm

Even though I used the wrong tofu (just silken), and sweetened soy milk (it’s all I had at the moment) they turned out pretty awesome and my family loved them :) Next time I will try more cornstarch or firm tofu, though.

Thanks for the recipe!

204 Katie April 15, 2014 at 9:42 am

Delicious! The grocery store near me only carries nasoya tofu, and I didn’t feel like making an extra trip. So, I used the nasoya silken tofu and doubled the amount of starch (I used potato starch). I also left out the soy milk completely. For the filling I used sundried tomatoes, mushrooms, and green onions. I made 5 larger quiches (I have one of the jumbo muffin tins with 6 openings) so I also cooked them a little extra. They turned out incredibly tasty, though they did stick to the oiled pan and getting them out was quite messy. I have a feeling I will be making these a lot so I ordered some silicone muffin liners to help with that issue. They were great hot out of the oven but also awesome cold the next day.

205 Janine April 17, 2014 at 11:20 am

I’m wanting to try this recipe, but I do not like rosemary. Is there another substitute herb you could suggest?

206 Susan Voisin April 17, 2014 at 12:27 pm

Basil or oregano would be a good substitute for the rosemary.

207 Roxanne Marchese April 18, 2014 at 9:59 am

Instead of mini’s has anyone made in pie plate etc.

208 Kera April 19, 2014 at 10:34 am

Honestly, I wasn’t too keen on making these but my husband asked me to after seeing them on Engine 2′s Facebook page. They were surprisingly delicious and a definite keeper. I want to experiment with different veggies. Even my neighbor ,who hates tofu and made a yucky face when I told her what I was cooking, admitted they were good!

209 Donald Hoffman April 19, 2014 at 5:59 pm

Just tried these. Complete and utter disaster! They never came together in the oven.

210 Jeffrey April 27, 2014 at 12:51 pm

I made two batches of these. The first batch as is. The second batch I added green chilies and baked vegan cheddar cheese on top to make a Mexican version. Both turned out wonderful. I used Rice milk which is thinner in consistency and added a touch more corn starch to thicken it. This will be a new recipe in my rotation.

211 Peggy April 30, 2014 at 12:19 am

I made these using the tofu I had on hand, which was Sprouts brand firm. I used almond milk, and it took a little more than called for. I used green chiles, onions and some Mexican food spices. I used mini muffin tins, because I don’t have the regular sized ones at the moment. I made a crust of oat bran, defatted soy flour, and nutritional yeast with a bit of olive oil. I pressed a teaspoon of the crust mixture in each muffin cavity, and I put a tablespoon of the tofu mixture on top of the crust. They cooked for about 22 minutes. I was surprised at now delicious these are! They popped out of the tin with ease, and they have a wonderful eggy texture and flavor. I’m amazed and so pleased!

212 Dorothy Toppenberg May 5, 2014 at 8:31 pm

Looking for a recipe for banana cream pie using Silken MoriNu.

Thanks for your help.
Dorothy

213 Leah August 11, 2014 at 12:01 am

These were the first quiches that I ever made–and they were delicious! That being said, they felt a little dense, and they didn’t rise at all. Is that normal? Any tips. I used broccoli instead of peppers, and purple basil instead rosmary, and extra black salt. Like I said–the flavors are delicious!

214 Susan Voisin August 11, 2014 at 7:00 am

Did you use water-packed tofu or the Mori-nu tofu in the shelf-stable box? They don’t rise a lot, but I would never describe them as dense, so I wonder if it could be the tofu you used.

215 Leah August 11, 2014 at 9:10 am

Mori-nu. I’ll try them again since they really are delicious. Thanks!

216 livinrsd August 22, 2014 at 8:08 pm

Oh My Goodness!!! These are absolutely incredible…texture, taste, seasoning, hot, cold (so good) or train temp (as I ate them on a 21/2 hr journey)…though I did add extra nutritional yeast, ground black pepper and garlic powder as onion powder is nonexistent here. Was interested to see how they would turn out as Mori-Nu is unavailable so I used a firm silken tofu I adore. Took the plunge and they set up amazingly well in approx. 24 minutes in a silicone pan. You were right about them being light and going quickly. Delicious. Will be making double and triple batches starting this weekend. My beloved, who adores quiche, ate three in a matter of minutes and was impressed when told the ingredients. We had a chuckle naming all of he options others might choose for a snack/light meal compared to how much flavour and how few calories these have. They also keep beautifully in the fridge.
Another incredible recipe by you. Many thanks for your hard work. Being disabled., cooking can be quite a challenge for me but you have taken the guesswork out of it so I know the effort I expend will produce yummy results. You truly make cooking and eating ff/lf vegan food a pleasure. You are treasured!

217 Danielle August 29, 2014 at 1:23 pm

I’ve been making these at least once a week since I found your recipe a few months ago. Your original is amazing but I’ve just slightly adapted it over the months and usually have a leek and thinly sliced vegan bacon filling. I also add a tbsp of Vegg to the mix… thank you so much xx

218 Lé-nic September 6, 2014 at 1:12 pm

This is definitely one of the best recipes I have tried since going vegan – thank you!!

219 Ainsley September 11, 2014 at 2:44 pm

LOVE all of your recipes. These are amazing, can I freeze the extra if I make bulk?

220 Susan Voisin September 11, 2014 at 2:49 pm

Sure! They freeze well. Glad you like them.