Double-Layer Pumpkin Cheesecake

by on November 21, 2007

Vegan Double-Layer Pumpkin Cheesecake

[Insert standard “this is not a fat-free recipe” disclaimer here. Geez, what was I thinking when I named this blog!]

I know most of you who celebrate Thanksgiving have already figured out your menus. I’m probably the only slacker who still doesn’t know what she’s cooking! I’m lucky, though. I’m going to my in-laws’ celebration which is essentially a huge pot-luck. We can usually count on there being some side dishes prepared vegan just for us, so I can get away with bringing just a dish or two. At this point, I’m relatively sure that I’m making Bryanna’s Soy and Seitan “Turkey,” but I’m absolutely positive that I’m making this amazing cheesecake.

This pumpkin cheesecake is without a doubt the most delicious dessert I’ve had in a long time. The bottom layer is lightly flavored with lemon, while the top layer is pumpkin-flavored without being heavy; eaten together, they’re just plain heaven. No, it’s not fat-free, but I challenge you to find a lower-fat cheesecake that tastes this good. Also, it relies on agave nectar for much of its sweetness, so if you’re concerned about the glycemic index, that’s another point in its favor. But I warn you–you won’t be able to stop at just one piece of this luscious cheesecake.

Vegan Double-Layer Pumpkin Cheesecake

Vegan Double-Layer Pumpkin Cheesecake

Hope all of you who celebrate it have a happy Thanksgiving. And if you don’t celebrate, you may in fact be saving your own life!

This amazing vegan cheesecake is lightly lemon flavored on the bottom and pumpkin spice on the top.

1 william November 10, 2009 at 10:27 am

Susan,
Once again, this looks so totally irresistible that I can't wait to make it. However, is there any substitute for "Better Than Cream Cheese" you can recommend? I'm not able to purchase here in Japan.
Thanks.

2 SusanV November 10, 2009 at 10:29 am

William, you might try using some silken tofu instead of the cream cheese and add a little extra corn starch and lemon juice. It probably won't taste the same, but it might still be good.

3 kendra November 10, 2009 at 12:33 pm

what if i used real pumpkin how much would i add to the mixture…real meaning not from the can

4 SusanV November 10, 2009 at 12:38 pm

Kendra, as long as all the water is pressed out of your cooked pumpkin puree(making it the consistency of canned), you use the same amount of pumpkin as in the instructions.

5 Zafiro November 16, 2009 at 1:26 am

I made this last thanksgiving for work and some people liked it, so of course I did it again this year. My coworkers liked it and some had a hard time believing it was vegan.

6 Sarah Bryant November 18, 2009 at 5:06 pm

Do we use fresh or ground ginger? Does it matter?

7 SusanV November 18, 2009 at 10:24 pm

I used ground ginger but I'm sure fresh would lend a nice zing to this recipe.

8 Anonymous November 20, 2009 at 4:11 pm

i don't have any tofu, do you think i could just sub more toffuti for the tofu? same amount?

9 Anonymous November 20, 2009 at 7:48 pm

Hi Susan –

I am food processor-less and not inclined to add anything else to my VERY space challenged kitchen. Are there any alternatives to the food processor for this recipe? Someone asked last year but I didn't see an answer. I really want to shock my very carnivorous family with this recipe; I'm sure they won't know it's vegan. Thank you!

10 Anonymous November 22, 2009 at 11:55 pm

Re: food processor
I used a blender last year and it turned out perfectly.

Also, thank you Susan! I made it last year. Everyone had seconds of this one!

I will make it again this year. I added more lemon which was perfect for our family.

11 Anonymous November 24, 2009 at 4:26 pm

I'm so excited to make this – but just discovered I don't have rum or ginger. Will it be ok without? Thanks :)

12 SusanV November 24, 2009 at 5:17 pm

I'm sure it will be fine without rum and ginger, but you could increase the other spices a little to compensate.

13 MCH November 25, 2009 at 2:27 pm

I have this in the oven right now! I hope it sets up- if not- it will still taste wonderful! Thanks for recipe! :)

14 syl g. November 25, 2009 at 2:42 pm

oh man this was SOOO GOOOOOOD!!!! all my nonvegan friends LOVED IT. i added a little more lemon just for the zestiness. great recipe!!

15 Anonymous November 26, 2009 at 2:29 am

I just made this and I thought it turned out too lemoney. I will leave the lemon out next time. It took away from the pumpkin taste.

16 rosy_lee November 26, 2009 at 4:22 am

In the oven as we speak!

Pre-baking taste tests got a big thumbs up from the kids.

Looks and smells divine.

17 erin November 27, 2009 at 2:17 am

i made this for todays dinner and it was absolutely delicious!! even my daughter who loathes all things pumpkin liked it. thank you susan :)

18 Laina November 27, 2009 at 1:44 pm

Susan, I'm wondering if I sub molasses for the rum, would that work?

I'm not sure I can find the toffuti here. Is there an online resource?

Thanks so much! Can't wait to try this. :)

19 Eliz Staeheli November 24, 2011 at 8:50 am

Buy tofu online at Vitacost

20 Eliz Staeheli November 24, 2011 at 8:56 am

Okay. Not paying attention. See if you have a nearby food coop. Even if you have one anywhere nearby, the food coops sometimes do deliveries into areas for a reasonable fee.

21 M&E November 27, 2009 at 2:35 pm

Oh my gosh, I made this for Thanksgiving dinner for mostly non veggies and I'm the only vegan. I usually don't make desserts with tofu because I can always taste it but I decided to give this a go since it had so many positive comments. It was amazing! I am lactose intolerant and haven't had cheesecake for YEARS! It was so good there were no leftover to take home and it was the first dessert to be finished. Thank you so much for this recipe!!!!!

22 Samanpka November 27, 2009 at 4:47 pm

I made this for Thanksgiving and as I expected, it was delicious. I had a piece for breakfast this morning. Mine didn't look quite as perfect as yours with the layers, but it wasn't a big deal. I'll definitely make this again, but when I do I think I'll add a lot more pumpkin puree, spices, and rum, because it just wasn't quite pumpkiny enough. Looking forward to making the eggnog one for Christmas!

23 Anonymous November 29, 2009 at 9:04 pm

I used to make a conventional version and was happy as could be when I found this. Was great. The only thing I did different was double the spices. I love it to be spicy!

24 Britt Bravo November 30, 2009 at 2:51 pm

I made this last night, and it is absolutely delicious.

25 moonwatcher November 30, 2009 at 8:53 pm

I have been looking at this recipe off and on, and thought I couldn't attempt it because I can't have the tofutti cream cheese because of the palm oil in it. Then I got the idea to try making Bryanna's tofu cream cheese in The (Almost) No Fat Cookbook. I tweaked it a little, putting a little cashew butter in it, instead of sesame meal. It worked great! We absolutely loved it, like everyone else who posted here. And once again that oatmeal cookie crust is a gluten free life saver.

thanks, Susan!

xo

26 Eliz Staeheli November 24, 2011 at 9:01 am

Can you post that recipe?

27 Adrianna December 1, 2009 at 2:55 pm

Best. Cheesecake. Ever.

Real or fake, this is phenomenal! Made it for a Vegan pot luck and it was a winner. Cant wait to try the eggnog version

28 Tiana December 5, 2009 at 2:55 pm

Just made this last night and it was delicious!! I have to agree with Adrianna, this is the best cheesecake ever!

29 pdxet December 16, 2009 at 6:34 pm

Absolutely DELICIOUS!!!

30 JonathanCline December 24, 2009 at 12:03 am

How about substituting the "Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese" for whole food ingredients ? Search for the fake food on the web, read the ingredients: it's mostly PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED (Bad!) Soybean Oil, Tofu, gum thickeners, and a bunch of other yucky stuff that would be better left out of all food (like sugar, preservatives, and isolated soy protein). Yikes!

Considering this, it should be possible to replace the "Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese" with pure Soybean Oil, a little more Tofu, and some Gum powder or perhaps tapioca flour(?).

This "Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese", after reading the label, should be tossed in the trash… don't forget to recycle the container afterwards.. don't trust these fake dairy products! Most of them are just as bad or worse than this Better Than stuff.

31 SusanV November 21, 2010 at 2:14 pm

There is a non-hydrogenated version of Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese. Look for it in the yellow container (which you can recycle later). :)

32 Eliz Staeheli November 24, 2011 at 9:00 am

If it’s only once a year, lighten up!

33 Teri January 18, 2010 at 3:01 pm

I made this on Saturday and my non-vegan meat eating family has almost finished it. My brother even had it for lunch. Thank you for the perfect introduction to tofu.

34 Gary Loewenthal May 4, 2010 at 2:33 am

I must make this for a future bake sale, to share with the world! Although I may not be able to wait that long!

35 Rhonda October 23, 2010 at 4:06 pm

JonathonCline – As Susan states in the recipe you can use the non-hydrogenated kind. It’s a bit harder to find, I’ve only seen it at Whole Foods, but it exists. Personally I just use the easier to find version because I use maybe 1 or 2 tubs a year when I bake things like this and I can buy it at just about any grocery store. A little bit once in a while isn’t going to kill you.

36 Gary Loewenthal November 8, 2010 at 4:49 pm

This was fantastic. Instead of using one big crust, I made a bunch of serving-size mini-cheesecakes for a bake sale. They sold briskly and afterward drew compliments from people who bought them.

37 SusanV November 8, 2010 at 5:04 pm

Gary, thanks for letting me know. I’m so happy that my recipe could contribute to the bake sale!

38 Michelle November 9, 2010 at 5:58 am

Susan, I just want to say I look forward to making this pie every year! I am going to a party next week and you know what I’m bringing!! My sister even brought this into a gym class once for *health week* and no one could believe it was vegan! Thanks SO MUCH for posting this recipe!!! I really appreciate it and keep blogging cause you got a big fan! :)

39 Jen November 17, 2010 at 8:05 pm

I would love to try this recipe, however my daughter is on a gluten free diet, any other crust suggestions that are gluten free that would work?

40 Dana November 18, 2010 at 6:57 am

Susan, you are a godsend! I am so excited about the recipes you have posted that I can make for Thanksgiving!!! I have to make the rest of my family “normal”, non Vegan food, HOWEVER, I now can make myself some yummies as well!!!!
I love your “Fat Free Vegan Kitchen” website!!!! Happy Holiday Season to all!
Dana

41 Federica November 18, 2010 at 9:09 am

Hi,
I have a suggestion for Jen or any other person interested in gluten-free options. I don’t remember where I get this recipe from, but I have used it often with very good result.

Crust:
1 cup superfine sorghum flour
½ cup arrowroot powder
½ cup pecans, finely ground
1 to 2 teaspoons cinnamon
¼ teaspoon sea salt (link)
4 tablespoons coconut oil (room temp)
5 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon maple syrup

Enjoy!

42 Katie November 18, 2010 at 7:32 pm

This recipe is AMAZING!!! My vegan and non-vegans loved it. I love how creamy it is. I’ll definitely be making this one again. Thank you SO much!!!

43 Kelly November 19, 2010 at 12:12 pm

Hi! I am thinking of trying this recipe as individual cheesecakes, using a muffin pan ( and making my own graham cracker crust for the bottom layer). Any suggestions on how I should bake them? I am worried about over or under cooking. Thanks!

44 SusanV November 21, 2010 at 2:16 pm

Start checking them for doneness very early, maybe even after 15 minutes, and do the toothpick test when they look done. My biggest worry with using a muffin pan with crust only on the bottom is getting them out. I’m afraid you might have trouble keeping them intact.

45 Michelle November 21, 2010 at 2:30 pm

Hi,
I just made a gluten free graham crust for this. Do I bake the crust prior to filling it?
Michelle

46 SusanV November 21, 2010 at 3:22 pm

Yes, I would bake it first.

47 Jennifer November 21, 2010 at 5:32 pm

If I use your oatmeal crust, should I cook it first?

48 SusanV November 21, 2010 at 5:51 pm

Yes, but take it out a couple of minutes early, before it starts to brown around the rim. It may begin to get too brown when you’re cooking the cheesecake, so be prepared to put a ring of aluminum foil around the edge if it seems to be browning too much. Please let me know how it comes out.

49 AmyLu November 22, 2010 at 10:02 am

Susan,
Thank you for all the great recipes! I had to laugh when I read your comment, “What was I thinking when I named this [fat-free] blog?” But I love, love, love your fat-free recipes. They fit so well with the nutritarian style of eating, and you do such a great job with them! Thank you for all your great recipes and happy holidays to you and your family!

50 eireguitar November 22, 2010 at 8:44 pm

I can’t do agave or sugar, but can do brown rice syrup, coconut sugar and dates. Any ideas for how much to substitute for the agave?

51 SusanV November 22, 2010 at 9:42 pm

I would use the same amount as in the recipe of either/both brown rice syrup or/an coconut sugar. You can taste it before you bake to see if it’s sweet enough and add more if necessary.

52 Cindy November 15, 2015 at 8:50 pm

I used soaked medjool dates for both the sugar and the agave. Super good.

53 Sixfingered November 24, 2010 at 2:14 pm

I made this last night. I’ll have to wait until Thanksgiving to give my review of the taste. However I do have advice for anyone who ended up with extra filling like myself. I had maybe a 1/3 or a 1/2 cup of filling left that I didn’t know what to do with, so I added a banana, vanilla almond milk and ice to the blender and made what turned out to be a really delicious smoothie :)

54 scott herkaler November 25, 2010 at 4:31 am

Hi making this double layer cheesecake today, do I have to press the Tofu?

55 SusanV November 25, 2010 at 10:55 am

No, but you need to use silken tofu–the Mori-Nu brand in the aseptic package works best. Drain off any water and use the tofu straight from the package.

56 April at Kitchen Blender Reviews November 25, 2010 at 6:56 pm

I made this pie for Thanksgiving dinner and it was fabulous. The pie had much better flavor after baking than the batter.

It looked like I’d have too much batter for one little graham cracker pie crust, so I poured it into two pie crusts. That gave me one pie to sample and the other to present after dinner. It was excellent. Those who did not know, didn’t realize it wasn’t dairy. 😉

57 Lindsay November 26, 2010 at 11:32 am

This cheesecake was super amazing. The whole (omni) family loved it. I will definitely be making this again and again.

58 Fiona November 26, 2010 at 12:18 pm

I made this for Thanksgiving yesterday and it was great! For a fairly low-fat cheesecake it has great flavor! When compared to full-fat desserts containing dairy it was still one of the best desserts there. I made this cheesecake with the graham cracker crust from Colleen Patrick-Goudreau’s the Joy of Vegan Baking. I celebrated at my future in-laws house yesterday and they had a family friend visiting for Thanksgiving who was lactose intolerant. If I hadn’t made this pumpkin cheesecake he wouldn’t have had any dessert! I was very glad I had made it because he got something to eat for dessert and also because I had a chance to recommend some vegan baking cookbooks to him (as well as this site, where I got this recipe of course!). The others who tried it liked it too so I will make it again. I had cracks in my cheesecake though, which I think is from over mixing the batter so maybe next time I’ll mix it in a bowl rather than a food processor. My two layers stayed separately intact so for people who have issues with the layers blending, just be very careful to spoon a small amount at a time over the first layer and don’t heap a bunch all in one spot at once. Thank you for your wonderful recipe!

59 Fiona November 26, 2010 at 12:22 pm

Oh, also, I found it interesting that April at Kitchen Blender Reviews thought there was too much batter because I felt the cheesecake could have been even better with more batter (but that might have been because I had a thick, flavorful crust that slightly overwhelmed the cheesecake part). However, double the batter seems like too much and one a half times the batter would leave me with a half used container of cream cheese and silken tofu so I’ll prob still stick with the original amount of batter.

60 Lindsay from Another Almost Vegan Blog November 26, 2010 at 3:46 pm

I have been making this recipe for years and never had a single problem until this year. And I think I know why. I used a different kind of vegan cream cheese because Whole Foods was out of Tofutti. Vegan Gourmet IS NOT THE SAME, does not taste the same and does NOT bake the same. Use the Tofutti or scrap the recipe.

61 SusanV November 26, 2010 at 4:31 pm

Thanks so much for that tip, though I hate that you had to discover it the hard way. All we have around here is the Toffuti, so I’ve never tested it with any other vegan cream cheese. I’ll have to add a note to the recipe specifying Tofutti brand.

62 Alice November 26, 2010 at 5:51 pm

Made this last night, it was a big hit! delicious!

63 Melinda Maarouf November 26, 2010 at 7:14 pm

Susan, girl, you have done it again!
This fabulous thing has now taken its place as an official Thanksgiving tradition at our house. This year I tried it with your oatmeal crust with a handful of vegan chocolate chips added to the dough. The result was off the charts delicious! The only change for next year will be to make two. I cut myself a tiny sliver, turned my back , and the entire cheesecake was gone. So much for leftovers! Thanks for a wonderful recipe.

64 Gloria November 27, 2010 at 4:38 pm

Thank you for this recipe. The one slice I was able to have was fantastic.
My daughter insisted that no one eat more than one slice so she could take it back with her to college.

65 LINDA November 27, 2010 at 5:11 pm

HI!
I made this for Thanksgiving and offered a piece to my 82 year old mother. AND she liked it!
I added some toasted pecans to the homemade graham cracker crust and decorated the top with them too.
Every bite of the creamy bottom layer and the spicy top layer made me take a unscheduled trip to a forest of brightly colored leaves covered trees.
This made my first vegan Thanksgiving meal! Thanks so much for sharing.

66 Lindsay November 27, 2010 at 8:30 pm

Hey, I made this for thanksgiving and it was great.
I have to eat gluten-free as well, so I made a gingerbread cookie crust out of some store-bought GF and Vegan Gingersnap cookies! (Mary’s Gone Crackers Brand) The entire thing was delicious and my whole family loved it.
Thank you!

67 Laury @thefitnessdish November 28, 2010 at 2:45 pm

I made this on Thanksgiving, will be posting about it tomorrow…just wanted to tell you that it was AMAZING!!! Also, just like you said..no one could tell it was vegan!! There was hardly any left!!!

68 gisela December 26, 2010 at 4:54 pm

I just made this for Christmas and everyone loved it–even my omni parents & b/f! My dad is very anti-tofu but he had no idea this contained tofu so he happily ate it. I followed the recipe to a t except I omitted the lemon & upped the amounts of cinnamon & ginger because I like it spicy. Also, I didn’t want to dirty my food processor so I just used my electric beater & it still came out smooth and creamy. Definitely an awesome dessert that I will keep making!

69 Sixfingered December 30, 2010 at 2:25 pm

Made this for both Thanksgiving and Xmas this year, my first year of being vegan. It was a hit both time. I will definitely be making this again.

70 Elizabeth Reed April 4, 2011 at 9:30 pm

This recipe looks delicious! My husband and I recently ate at a vegan restaurant in Portland ME called Green Elephant. The best part of the meal was the dessert—pumpkin cheese cake. I have been dreaming of making it since and cannot wait to try this recipe. Thank you!

71 Ruby July 1, 2011 at 11:52 am

Your blog has turned a mediocre cook to a fabulous one. So thank you for that!

Can this recipe be made in a microwave? For that matter, would cooking your oven-based recipe in a microwave ruin it?

Best

72 SusanV July 1, 2011 at 12:46 pm

That’s so nice of you to say! About the microwave, I just don’t know. It’s hard to say how long or on what power to cook it since I’ve never tried before. You would be taking a risk of ruining it.

73 Allie October 5, 2011 at 11:22 am

Hey Susan :) I have made this numerous times and it’s always a hit! I was wondering if this could be made into tart-sized treats? I want to do this for our staff but am unsure on cook time/temp if I use the filling in tart shells as opposed to a whole pie shell.

Have you ever done this?

Thanks a bunch!

Allie

74 SusanV October 5, 2011 at 11:25 am

I’m so glad you like the cheesecake! I haven’t done it as tarts, but I think it definitely could be done. I’d start checking them at 15 minutes and continue cooking until they seem done (but before they get too brown around the edges. You may have to be a pioneer and experiment with this!

75 CraftyEarthMama October 12, 2011 at 6:00 pm

Oh man, I have to try this!

76 Ellen October 21, 2011 at 8:45 pm

I make this every year for Thanksgiving and it is always the star of the show. I leave out the rum and it doesn’t seem to be a problem. This year my non-vegan mother requested this for her birthday cake. Thanks for this delicious recipe!

77 Bridget Otto October 25, 2011 at 6:09 pm

I write for The Oregonian newspaper in Portland, OR., and would like to reprint your double layer pumpkin cheesecake recipe as part of a T-Day story I’m working on. Can you give permission?

bridget otto
503-221-8527

78 CN November 16, 2011 at 11:04 am

I double this recipe and bake it a little bit longer in a 9-inch spring-form pan with a graham cracker crust. It’s beautiful to serve to company on the holidays.

79 Susan Voisin November 16, 2011 at 11:14 am

I’m so glad to hear that that works! I’ll have to try it.

80 happy_vegan410 November 23, 2011 at 10:36 pm

I have made this for three years now-it has become a staple at our Thanksgiving! Thank you Susan!

81 lisah November 24, 2011 at 4:53 pm

You posted this recipes several years ago, but I didn’t even know about your site then. I wasn’t vegan then either — though I’m not sure that I should say it even now. I’m trying though! And recipes like this make it even easier. It’s delicious! I knew it was beautiful from the gorgeous pics, but that doesn’t always mean that it tastes good. This one does, and it’s even EASY. There’s about the same number of ingredients for a pumpkin pie and no more complicated to make. For my money though, this is much better. Thanks for a great recipe!

82 Gwen November 25, 2011 at 9:46 am

WOW. made this for thanksgiving and it was a hit. Cannot believe it didn’t have a soy aftertaste or weird texture… it was perfect, and the omnivores couldn’t tell! Thanks!

83 Erica November 25, 2011 at 12:20 pm

I love this recipe and have used it for the last 2 or 3 years. but all of a sudden i feel like my “cheesecake” keeps cracking. It still tastes amazing but i want it to look pretty too! help me please.

84 Amber November 26, 2011 at 3:22 pm

Made this for thanksgiving and it was AMAZING! I was always a pumpkin pie hater but this cheesecake is absolutely delish! I made a homemade vegan graham cracker crust for it. Thanks for sharing the recipe =)

85 Kristen November 27, 2011 at 11:04 am

Thank you for providing this recipe! I have never made a cheesecake before- vegan or not- and this came out beautifully. My family (who are very hesitant to eat vegan food) loved it. My only complaint- and it’s not really a complaint- is that it was not very pumpkin-y. Other than that, it was delicious, actually set up firm, and stayed together. Thanks!

86 Kina November 28, 2011 at 10:46 am

I’ve baked this twice now! The second time I made it when I was reaching for the vanilla extract in my cupboard, I saw my bottle of orange blossom water that I’ve scarcely had a chance to use, so I went ahead and added 1/4 teaspoon of that along with the vanilla and lemon juice, and it made a huge difference. If anyone has orange blossom water laying around, I recommend trying it :)

87 Donna December 7, 2011 at 2:20 am

Made this for Thanksgiving this year. It is the best cheesecake I have ever had. I can’t wait to make it again. Thanks so much for the recipe!

88 Elana May 29, 2012 at 4:48 pm

Great recipe! I subbed stevia for half the sugar and used lime juice for the lemon. I was amazing :-)

89 Diana August 2, 2012 at 7:29 am

I’ve been looking for vegan cream cheese as well but found a recipe for it instead in Roberto Martin’s cookbook, ‘Vegan Cooking For Carnivores’. It is a cream cheese spread but you can eliminate some of the water in his recipe and keep the 2 Tbsps of olive oil processed with cashews, salt and a block of firm tofu. It is good vegan cream cheese.

90 Maraika November 7, 2012 at 3:25 am

Finally made this delicious Cheesecake. And making another one tomorrow! where has this recipe been all my life??:) I will use the Graham cracker crust though as I found the oatmeal cookie crust a bit tough when baked. I also didn’t add the Rum. Thank you for a great recipe.

91 Diana November 7, 2012 at 7:44 pm

I’m glad I could help you. I’ve been looking for awhile for vegan cream cheese and it’s difficult even in a big city in my home town. I was enthusiastic when I found it in Roberto Martin’s cookbook. If you have any leftovers of this cream cheese, like I did from the recipe, I put the rest in a glass jar and it is best used within a week when stored in the refrigerator.

92 Maria November 16, 2012 at 4:44 am

I would like to know how is the crust is made ?
Regards

Maria

93 Maraika November 16, 2012 at 5:50 am

Here is one recipe for the crust
1⅔ cups whole wheat graham crackers
6 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
½ tsp cinnamon

I made this one though
2 cups finely ground dairy-free graham crackers (either store-bought or homemade)
1/3 cup agave nectar or maple syrup
1/3 cup canola oil
½ t. cinnamon
pinch of salt

94 Diana November 16, 2012 at 10:01 am

I usually follow the recipe given in Roberto Martin’s cookbook, but I find I like a thicker crust and not more added sugar because the graham cracker crumbs are sweet enough. So, my take in pie crust in a springform pan is:
2 cups of graham cracker crumbs
6 – 8 Tbsps vegan butter
Mix these ingredients together with a fork, then pour into a 9″ springform pan and press at bottom and up the sides.

95 Maria November 16, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Thank you for the crust recipe, but I have a problem , how can I make the
Graham crachers ? I can not find in my country ,
Maria

96 Maraika November 17, 2012 at 3:05 am

Maria
Try any Vegan biscuit (no butter or milk) that has wholemeal in it as substitute.
Or try the Oatmeal crust
Or you can check out Digestive biscuits.
Or you can google “how to make vegan graham crackers at home” and the 2nd link that comes up looks easy enough.
AND thanks Diana for tips:)

97 Darla November 18, 2012 at 1:53 pm

So excited to make this pumpkin cheesecake for Thanksgiving this year! One question…can I use arrowroot in place of the cornstarch?
Thank you for all your fabulous recipes! Will be trying a few this holiday :)

98 Susan Voisin November 18, 2012 at 2:29 pm

Yes, it should work with arrowroot, potato starch, or tapioca starch. Hope you enjoy!

99 Darla February 27, 2013 at 4:32 pm

I was wondering if you could delete my comment?
I put down my personal business website address, not knowing it would negatively effect my google ranking! (Since your blog is completely unrelated to my website)
I, and my online company, would REALLY appreciate it!
Darla

100 Susan Voisin February 27, 2013 at 4:49 pm

Darla, I just deleted your URL. Is that okay? P.S. I can’t imagine that it would hurt your SEO because all the links in my comments are no-follow.

101 Darla March 3, 2013 at 3:16 pm

Thank you. I’m not SEO savvy, but my SEO guy was kinda mad at me (not really) because he somehow saw my comment on your site and he felt it may impact negatively. We are struggling to get on page 1 and every little thing counts, I guess.
Thanks so much. Continuing to enjoy your site and recipes :)
Darla

102 Tamra November 23, 2012 at 10:13 am

I am so glad I stumbled across this recipe. It was soooo good and was a big hit with the family! I even used grated nutmeg! Thanks and have a great holiday!

103 Diana November 23, 2012 at 4:43 pm

I’m glad I could help you. Happy Thanksgiving!

104 Raina December 7, 2012 at 11:44 am

THE BEST CHEESECAKE IN THE WORLD. This is the second time I have made it because it is THAT good. All of my non-vegan family and friends LOVE it. I made my own graham cracker crust this time to reduce the fat, and even the crust is delightful.
This is the site that I got the crust from. I did part oil and part milk. I also made a little extra crust and added dark chocolate almond milk to that part. http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/09/01/healthy-graham-cracker-pie-crust/
Hands down, I am TRUE to this recipe :))). Thank you SO much Susan!

105 Susan Voisin December 7, 2012 at 12:08 pm

Thank you for your support–and for the crust recipe!

106 janice February 27, 2013 at 11:31 am

Can I substitute sweet potato for pumpkin?

107 Steph E February 27, 2013 at 1:24 pm

I made this for Thanksgiving last year and LOVED it! My animal eating family tried it, but my partner and I were the ones to finish it off.

I want to make it again for my daughter’s school auction next month, but am not sure that pumpkin particularly screams “Spring!” Is it possible to make this with fruit other than pumpkin?

Thank you for this amazing recipe!

108 AzVeganCat June 11, 2013 at 5:59 pm

Wow, hubby made this pumpkin two layer “cheesecake” and it is great! We are going to add a little more spice (ginger) to it this time (he’s making it right now) cause we like things a bit more spicy but otherwise it was unbelievably great!! Love this site and definitely going to try a lot more recipes! Thanks for your recipes… I’m a new Vegan (was vegetarian on and off for 25 years but been at it again for the past 5 and vegan for several months now)

109 Amanda September 24, 2013 at 7:40 am

I know this is an old post, but here I am anyway. Last night I made this for my birthday cake (happy birthday to me!). This morning, I decided to have it for breakfast, and OMG I’m glad I didn’t wait! This is amazing! The only thing I did different, is I did a date nut crust. YUM! Thanks so much for this recipe. If you don’t mind, I’d like to do a post on my blog about this amazing dessert. Thanks!

110 Shirley Litton October 17, 2013 at 8:57 pm

I know this was posted a few years ago, but I just made it, and it IS DELICIOUS!!! Thank You so much for sharing it!!! My mission was to find a replacement for Thanksgiving pumpkin pie since the vegan pumpkin pies I’ve made have been awful. This was perfect!!! Can’t wait to share it with family next month!!

111 Jomi October 22, 2013 at 12:00 pm

has anyone made this using regular tofu? I did, but am not sure what the results will be even if I blended the ingredients very well. I’ll post and let others know just in case they took the same turn on the recipe that I did (I didn’t realize it said SILKEN though it was clearly on the recipe!)

Any comments will be appreciated!

112 Lynda October 27, 2013 at 8:53 am

We have been making this every Thanksgiving (and other occasions) since finding it here 3 or 4 years ago. It is still a huge favorite. Sooooo good!!
Thanks for the recipe!

113 Jen November 3, 2013 at 7:43 am

Can you tell me what kind of silken tofu that you use in this – the refrigerated/water packed kind or the aseptic shelf stable? I am newly vegan and have a hard time knowing when to use which.
Thank you for your help!

114 Susan Voisin November 3, 2013 at 7:46 am

I use the aseptic, Mori-nu brand of silken tofu. Hope you enjoy it!

115 Jen November 10, 2013 at 6:00 am

This was the hit of my first vegan dinner party! Thank you so much. All of my non-vegan guests were shocked that it had no dairy! Proof that vegan does not mean bland or boring :)

Thank you for sharing! It is going on my thanksgiving list.

116 Frog November 13, 2013 at 5:20 pm

This recipe looks great and I’d love to make it for Thanksgiving this year, but due to various travels, anything I make for dinner has to be done ahead. How long does this recipe? Alternatively, do you think I could freeze it and then have the hosts pull it out to thaw that morning? Thanks so much.

117 Susan Voisin November 13, 2013 at 5:34 pm

I’ve never frozen it, so I don’t suggest doing that unless you do a test run before Thanksgiving. It could be made a couple of days ahead, but I hesitate to recommend keeping it any longer than that.

118 Frog December 22, 2013 at 5:27 pm

FYI, I did end up making two of these for our two TDay dinners. I baked them on Tuesday and they were eaten on Wednesday and Thursday evenings. Both were fabulous. I can’t say how long leftovers would have lasted because there weren’t any.

The one thing to be aware of is to try to leave it uncovered in the fridge. When it was covered, a lot of condensation formed on top, even though they had been cooled completely. I used a paper towel to carefully soak it up and everything worked out, but in the future, I wouldn’t cover.

Thanks again for the fabulous recipe! I plan to make it again tomorrow for a xmas eve dinner.

119 Valerie November 19, 2013 at 7:03 pm

What crust did u use pls??im excited to do this!!

120 Susan Voisin November 20, 2013 at 8:30 am

There’s a link to my oatmeal crust in the recipe, or you can use a storebought graham cracker crust.

121 Stacy November 21, 2013 at 10:40 am

Susan,
Between this recipe and your lemon pie, I am thinking you could come up with an awesome vegan key lime pie. I would be so grateful to you if you did! I thought I’d tasted my last bite of that piece of heaven. If I can find the tofutti, I will try this one in the meantime.

122 Aimée November 24, 2013 at 11:55 am

I am excited to try this recipe What do you think of date sugar? Can it be substituted in this recipe for either or both the agave syrup and brown sugar? Have you used it in baked goods? I have never used it but I briefly read that it doesn’t dissolve in baked goods like sugar. I also know about buying dates and soaking them in water and using the liquid. Would love to know your thoughts. Thank you!

123 Susan Voisin November 24, 2013 at 1:16 pm

I haven’t used it, and if there’s a chance that it won’t dissolve, I wouldn’t use it in this recipe. It’s supposed to be silky smooth, and I’m afraid date sugar might make it grainy.

124 Christen M. November 25, 2013 at 11:30 am

I’ve never come across extra-firm silken tofu, just silken tofu soft. If I can’t find it at my local asian market, which should I buy… soft silken tofu or extra-firm regular tofu?

Thanks.

125 Susan Voisin November 25, 2013 at 3:16 pm

I would go with the soft silken if you can’t find firm. Try to drain or press as much water as you can out of it.

126 Susan Voisin November 25, 2013 at 3:19 pm

Also, by silken I mean the Morinu brand in the shelf-stable, aseptic packages, not the water-pack kind that has to be refrigerated. I can’t guarantee good results with other types.

127 Jenn November 28, 2013 at 7:22 am

I used Nasoya in the water pack, extra firm. It came out perfectly still, I just baked it for an extra 5 minutes. I also just used my blender on puree and liquify (high speed of puree, for literally 30 seconds at the end).

128 Andrea R November 25, 2013 at 2:07 pm

I am wondering if the consistancy is altered at all by using the dry sugar in place of the agave, since one is a dry ingredient and the other wet. Have you made it both ways?

129 Susan Voisin November 25, 2013 at 5:34 pm

I prefer the agave because it is sweeter and it blends in more easily. But I’ve made it with sugar and it does work.

130 Laura Groves November 27, 2013 at 11:29 pm

Do you mean silken or extra-firm tofu?

131 Laura Groves November 27, 2013 at 11:30 pm

Never mind. Please delete. I didn’t read the comments :)

132 Susan Voisin November 28, 2013 at 12:03 am

Glad you found the answer!

133 Jenn November 28, 2013 at 7:20 am

I just made two of these for the first time. It’s also my first time trying vegan baking. I could live off these. I decided to try something pumpkin pie inspired because it is my favorite around this time of year. This recipe is amazing. A must try.

134 NadiaNYC December 6, 2013 at 10:28 pm

This was absolutely delicious! I used a vegan, gluten free pre made crust the first time, and made my own the second time. Also made some little mini versions in cupcake paper cups. I used the 8oz Daiya tub (original flavor). I also used the Trader Joes high protein firm tofu and had no issue. I have never seen happier non vegans. Thank you so much for this recipe!!

135 Colleen May 10, 2014 at 12:18 pm

This is the best cheesecake ever!! I have made it several times now and have to stop myself from eating the whole thing. The first time I made it, I brought it to a vegan potluck and everyone kept asking me for the recipe. Thank you soooo much Susan!

136 Karen November 23, 2014 at 4:17 pm

My store had silken tofu and it has extra firm, but it doesn’t have extra firm silken. Which one would you recommend in that case?

137 Susan Voisin November 23, 2014 at 4:20 pm

I have only made this with the extra-firm Mori-Nu silken tofu in the shelf-stable box. Maybe someone else has used other kinds of tofu, so you might try checking the comments above.

138 Kay November 25, 2014 at 1:21 am

I make this every year for Thanksgiving. It is absolutely delicious and so easy to make that my husband who doesn’t normally cook was able to figure it out and make it successfully. Quick question though, I only have firm silken tofu. Should I add extra cornstarch or do you think it will be ok?

139 Susan Voisin November 25, 2014 at 8:37 am

Firm silken should be fine. I don’t think there’s that big a difference, so I would use the normal amount of cornstarch.

140 Stacie November 28, 2014 at 7:52 am

This was, by far, the best vegan cheesecake I have ever had! It set up nicely and tasted perfect!!!! Thank you.

141 Jennfier December 3, 2014 at 10:55 am

Have you had any luck freezing this? (or any vegan cheesecake for that matter)

thank you!

142 Susan Voisin December 3, 2014 at 10:59 am

Sorry! I haven’t tried. I think it might work, but I wouldn’t test it on a whole cheesecake!

143 Kindra December 16, 2014 at 2:58 pm

How much sugar is in this?

144 Diane December 23, 2014 at 8:02 pm

Love love this cheesecake!! I just wanted to let others know if you can’t find silken tofu use soft tofu instead. I can’t find silken tofu where I live so I use soft tofu every time I make this and it turns out freaking fantastic :)

145 Dawn May 28, 2015 at 2:25 pm

I recently made this. At first I was frustrated because I could not find the extra firm silken tofu. Turns out that unlike other tofu, this can be carried on the grocers dry shelf since it does not need to be refrigerated. Also, Keebler was the only graham crust I found that does not have honey as an ingredient.

Results? No one believed that it was vegan. Making another this weekend! Thank you for the fantastic recipe!

146 kc October 11, 2015 at 3:10 pm

When you say ‘half a can of pumpkin’, what size can do you mean? Thanks!

147 Susan Voisin October 11, 2015 at 3:32 pm

15-16 ounces. 😀

148 kc October 11, 2015 at 3:46 pm

oops, just noticed it sasys “cup”, not “can”…

149 Susan Voisin October 11, 2015 at 4:46 pm

Ha! I didn’t even look at the recipe, just went to the pantry to check my cans of pumpkin to see how big they are.

150 Jen November 13, 2015 at 8:53 am

Thank you for this incredibly delicious recipe! I had a couple omni girlfriends over for lunch and they housed it! I subbed maple syrup for the agave, which was delicious and I didn’t have lemon so I added a few extra drops of vanilla. I made it in my blender and it was as easy as it is tasty. I’m definitely adding this to my thanksgiving table!

151 Susan November 17, 2015 at 6:37 pm

Can you make this with a traditional crust?

152 Susan Voisin November 17, 2015 at 7:27 pm

I don’t see why not. I haven’t tried it, so you probably should look at similar recipes to see whether the crust should be pre-baked or not.

153 Lacy November 18, 2015 at 11:16 am

Can you use rum extract instead of rum?

154 Susan Voisin November 18, 2015 at 11:30 am

Yes, but just add a little to taste.

155 Stephanie November 19, 2015 at 10:50 pm

Do you know if this is also gluten free or of a good recipe for pumpkin something that is gluten free and vegan?

156 Susan Voisin November 20, 2015 at 7:56 am

This should be gluten-free except for the crust. I also have a great gluten-free pumpkin pie that forms its own crust, which you can find here: http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2006/10/and-answer-is.html

157 Carissa November 24, 2015 at 2:08 am

I LOVE this recipe so so much! I’ve used it every year for the past 5 or 6 years around the holidays and will probably continue to use it every year for the rest of my life! Thanks Susan!

158 Colleen November 24, 2015 at 9:31 am

I brought this to work last week and 2 guys asked for the recipe! No one here is vegan. I make this every Thanksgiving and Christmas!!

159 denise leach December 26, 2015 at 12:05 pm

I’ve made your mushroom seitan 3 times now, and it’s become our favorite of all seitans! It’s so forgiving, I’ve somehow mismeasured either dry or wet and had to sprinkle a lot more gluten to get the mix to biscuit dough texture. It was fine. I accidently shut the oven off midway and have no idea how long it baked. It was fine.
I add a good tablespoon of rosemary and thyme because they’re my favorite. Next time I’m going to add diced onions
SO moist and slices thinly with ease. Pair with anything, but for Christmas I made along with vegan scalloped potatoes with took almost as long to bake.
Many thanks for this and so many other wonderful recipes!