Ridiculously Easy Southern Succotash Stew

by on March 22, 2010

Ridiculously Easy Southern Succotash Stew

From a nutrition standpoint, I’ve never felt bad about using frozen vegetables; I’ve always believed (and new studies back me up) that vegetables that are frozen just after harvest actually retain more nutrients than fresh vegetables that have been shipped long distances. In the winter months, when the only fresh, local produce I can get are the collards in my garden, frozen vegetables are a healthy alternative. From a taste standpoint, frozen vegetables wouldn’t be my first choice for steaming or stir-frying, but they taste just fine in soups and stews where their texture doesn’t need to be crisp.

This recipe, like most of my “ridiculously easy” recipes, was never meant to be shared on this blog. I just wanted something hot for lunch, and I started tossing frozen and canned ingredients together to taste. Somewhere along the line, probably when I added a turnip my mother recently gave me, I stopped thinking of this as a variation on my Dirty Little Secret Soup and as a recipe in its own right. It’s not succotash, but the lima beans and corn are reminiscent of that dish, while the okra and turnips give it a little Southern flair. Give it a try, but don’t be stingy with the Creole seasoning, which makes this homely stew something to sing—or blog—about.

Southern Succotash Stew

1 Sina March 22, 2010 at 3:20 pm

Ooooh, this sounds like my kind of soup (though I usually don't even like soup)! It's a pity I can get neither lima beans nor okra or turnips!

2 Divya Vikram March 22, 2010 at 4:06 pm

Stew looks so flavorful and hearty!

3 Stefanie March 22, 2010 at 6:19 pm

That looks really good and hearty. :-)

4 Rachel March 22, 2010 at 6:23 pm

This looks delicious, and I have almost all these ingredients in my fridge/pantry. Wish you'd posted it about 3 weeks ago, though, when it was still cold outside :) Now I'm onto a spring kick–but may have to make an exception to try this.

5 Laurie March 22, 2010 at 6:33 pm

That's certainly a great way to get your veggies. Looks great! I'm posting a soup tomorrow. yum!
DomesticProductions15.com

6 Claire March 22, 2010 at 10:47 pm

Susan, what's in your Creole seasoning? I'm guessing the first ingredient is salt, since you don't call for salt elsewhere? I'd like to make this, but I probably have all the individual spices in my kitchen, or close enough.

7 Morgan-- March 22, 2010 at 10:59 pm

This looks delicious! And I am definitely making the asparagas risotto!Love the blog!

8 SusanV March 23, 2010 at 6:31 am

Claire, you're right about the Creole seasoning being mostly salt. The other main ingredients are dextrose, garlic, chili powder, cayenne, sugar, paprika, black pepper, and onion. I just used it to make the recipe a little easier, but you can substitute your own seasonings.

9 ash March 23, 2010 at 8:43 am

This looks delicious! FYI: Trader Joe's grocery stores sell a Succotash blend in their frozen dept. I am not sure if the Southern states have this grocery chain – hope so! Nevertheless, I bought a bag not too long ago and am so thankful for you posting this recipe so I can make this soup later this week! Cheers Susan!

10 SeeingSunshine March 23, 2010 at 10:55 am

This looks so good! I make your Dirty Little Secret Soup all the time, so I'll have to try this out.

11 Claire March 23, 2010 at 12:39 pm

Thanks for the info, Susan! I do have most of those already.

12 Lauren March 24, 2010 at 1:14 am

Looks wonderful! Thanks for the recipe Susan.

13 lisa March 25, 2010 at 11:14 am

your recipe are great and look really good. I can't believe vegan food can me so colorful. My sister in law has been vegan for a few years now and she is just so healthy and looks great. She's been pushing me to do it too. Maybe I will, especially since looking at good it can taste

14 Virginie P. March 26, 2010 at 6:32 am

Hi Susan! Keep posting your Easy recipes, please. They sounds very exotic to me and are good ideas for everyday improvisations. Thanks.

15 Bikini By 30 March 26, 2010 at 1:20 pm

Simplicity can be soooo delicious! Love love love your site!

16 Lisa March 29, 2010 at 12:47 am

looks very hearty and I love the stew pot you put it in!

17 lesleyautumn March 29, 2010 at 12:10 pm

Hey Susan! Great recipe… I bought all of the ingredients last night (even the okra, which I've never tried) and plan on making it tonight. One quick question… how much is one serving? A cup? Two cups? Please let me know… I'm trying to track my calories. Thanks!

18 SusanV March 29, 2010 at 12:21 pm

Lesley, a serving is 1/6 of the recipe, so the best way to make sure that you're getting the exact right amount would be to divide it into six bowls right after it's made. My guess is that a serving will come out to be about 2 cups (that's how much my bowls hold) but I wouldn't want to give you the wrong info. It'd be better to divide it up and be sure.

19 lesleyautumn March 29, 2010 at 1:06 pm

Thanks for the info!

20 Nona March 29, 2010 at 6:28 pm

That looks so GOOD!!!

21 Anonymous March 29, 2010 at 8:22 pm

Just found your site. I love it!

22 Morgan-- March 30, 2010 at 10:39 am

That looks so delicious, as usual! Thanks for another great recipe!

23 Tom Scholfield March 30, 2010 at 12:10 pm

This looks sooo good. I love the fact that you include the nutrition facts, I'm new to your site but I will definitely be making some of your recipes.

24 nancy April 1, 2010 at 1:21 am

This seems to be very yummy and easy.. a perfect mothers day recipes

25 chiropractic marketing April 4, 2010 at 9:49 pm

Sufferin' succotash! Hee. hee. This soup sounds pretty good.

26 Brett Sutcliffe April 11, 2010 at 4:20 am

Looks fancy, the color is so beautiful.
I will try it thank you for your recipe as usuall :p

27 Edeth | Dinnerware April 17, 2010 at 9:51 am

Great pictures and recipe. I completely agree with you (and the research) about the frozen vegetable retaining nutrients. I’ve been freezing veggies for years, and will continue to do so!

28 Hugo May 2, 2010 at 11:35 pm

Just made this tonight–easy and delicious! We used large lima beans, as the baby ones were not available. I guess I don’t recall ever using them before, but I surely intend to in the future. Creamy and very flavorful (a bit like garbanzo beans). We also added some chopped chard at the end of cooking to boost the nutrition. Winged it on the spices as well, as I don’t think you can go too wrong so long as you don’t overdo it. Adding lemon in the bowl is also a great perk!

29 Linda Behan May 7, 2010 at 6:10 am

Hi. Could you explain in more detail what “frozen soup vegetables” are please. I live in Australia and we don’t have a product specifically marketed by that name although we do have lots of frozen vegetables. Also, is creole seasoning already made up or do you make it from scratch? I have been unable to find hot smoked paprika, is it very different from smoked paprika? Thank you.

Linda

30 SusanV May 7, 2010 at 7:33 am

Hi Linda,

The frozen soup vegetables are composed mostly of diced potatoes, carrots, cut green beans, a little sliced okra, some peas, and possibly tomatoes (that’s from memory, so I’m probably leaving some out). They’re cut about the same size so they cook at the same speed, so you could replace them with your own mixture. Creole seasoning is a mixture that you can buy here, but it’s also easy to make up; there are recipes online that can give you exact proportions, but they include hot peppers (red, white, and/or black), garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, oregano, and salt, among other ingredients. In stead of hot smoked paprika, you can just use smoked paprika and add a little hot pepper to taste.

Good luck! And thanks for the reminder that my “convenience foods” aren’t convenient for everybody!

31 Maureen July 10, 2010 at 1:08 pm

I agree with you about staying away from frozen veggies for the most part, but it’s nice to have an easy recipe like this! I’m going to try it. Thanks.

32 Becki August 24, 2010 at 12:49 pm

Does this freeze well? I’m a student and I’m planning to spend the next week making a bunch of meals to stock up my freezer so I don’t resort to take out once my life gets busy again.

33 Padma March 22, 2011 at 9:47 pm

so colorful and tempting. The only issue I see is carbs. 35g of carbs in one serving. :( I am not supposed to eat more than 60 gm of carbs in a day. :((

34 Letha October 10, 2011 at 4:26 pm

This is delicious.. I just came across your site and I’m glad I did.. Just got thru eating a bowl of this delicious stew and its seasoned perfectly.. I just had to add a little salt perfect..

35 Brenda September 15, 2012 at 12:00 pm

I used blackeye peas and greens since I did not okra or lima beans. I have it simmering now on the stove. Thank you. great recipe!

36 Sherrie April 14, 2013 at 8:59 am

Still cold and snowy this week in Colorado so this soup will hit the spot. By the way, love the red bowl. I’m sure you’ve had them for years. Any chance you remember where you purchased them? They would match my cherry Le Creuset
cookware perfectly.
I’m also going to try your mini crustless quiche. They look wonderful.

37 Jeanne February 10, 2014 at 9:37 am

I am not a fan of okra so I used chopped asparagus. Delicious soup. Thank you Susan. Jeanne