Curried Eggplant, Lentil, and Quinoa Burgers with Onion-Pepper Relish

by on September 2, 2010

Curried Eggplant, Lentil, and Quinoa Burgers

Leftovers give you two separate good feelings. When you first put them away, you feel really intelligent–”I’m saving food!” And then, after a month, when hair is growing out of them and you throw them away you feel…really intelligent–”I’m saving my life!”

–George Carlin

I often think of eggplants like George Carlin’s leftovers.  When you buy one, you feel really good for bringing home this healthy, shiny vegetable.  Then you put it into your fridge and forget it for a week or so, and when you pull it out, it’s all dull and sunken in places, and you feel….  Well, that’s where the comparison ends because, if you’re like me, you feel guilty that this once-beautiful food has gone to waste.  It used to happen to me more often than I want to admit until I hit upon a solution: If I haven’t used the eggplant after two or three days, I cut it in two and roast it in my toaster oven.  Eggplant will last longer once it’s cooked, giving me time to figure out what new and adventurous recipe I want to create with it (though most of the time my cooking muse is silent and it becomes baba ganoush).

Baba will probably always be my favorite way to use roasted eggplant, but these veggie burgers and the pesto I posted earlier this summer tie for second place.  Even if you don’t like eggplant, you will love these burgers, which really don’t taste like eggplant at all (ask E the Eggplant Hater, who enjoyed her burger even knowing it contained eggplant).  I used a new favorite ingredient to bind together the eggplant and lentils:  Quinoa flakes are quinoa that has been steamed and flattened so that you can use it like oatmeal as a hot cereal.  It cooks quickly and in this recipe doesn’t have to be pre-cooked at all.  (I know somebody is going to ask me, so let me say that I haven’t tried making these with oatmeal, so I don’t know if that will work or not.  If you choose to experiment, I suggest using quick oatmeal, not the longer-cooking kind.)

I enjoyed the flavor of mild curry with the lentils and eggplant and, being the heat-lover that I am, spiced them up by serving them with a fiery relish made from onions and a jalapeno pepper from my garden.  If you’re not a curry lover, try changing the seasonings to suit your taste.  I can imagine the ingredients going well with chipotle and chile powder or harissa and cumin.   Have fun and be adventurous!

One note: Like most veggie burgers, these will fall apart if you try to cook them on a barbecue grill, but once they’re baked, they hold together well and can be reheated on the grill, making them a perfect food to bring to a Labor Day picnic.

Curried Eggplant, Lentil, and Quinoa Burgers
Curried Eggplant, Lentil, and Quinoa Burgers with Onion-Pepper Relish

1 Heather @ Side of Sneakers September 2, 2010 at 10:54 am

These sound fantastic- I love the idea of the spicy onion pepper relish. It’d be a great addition to every burger I can think of!

2 Rebecca Redus September 2, 2010 at 11:13 am

These look wonderful! I love eggplant and curry so I think I’ll be trying these soon!

3 Helen September 2, 2010 at 11:32 am

Can’t wait to try these out, (following a hunt for quinoa flakes)!

4 Adi Lucas September 2, 2010 at 11:34 am

This sounds really good¡¡¡ and I DO LOVE the ingredients. At a first glance I thought you were using whole cooked quinoa, then I read about the flakes. I´ll look for them. If not possible to find, I´ll try using cooked quinoa.
Thanks for sharing¡¡

5 SusanV September 2, 2010 at 11:44 am

Adi, I’m afraid that whole quinoa won’t work in this. It probably won’t cook all the way and definitely won’t bind like the flakes. If you can’t find the flakes, try quinoa flour or oat flour (oatmeal ground in the blender). Use a little less than 3/4 cup.

6 DeeDee September 2, 2010 at 3:24 pm

Susan: Another spectacular recipe! So, are you saying I can grind whole quinoa into flour like so many other grains which would make this meal so much more economical? My Sweetie says, “Susan, as always you rock!

7 SusanV September 2, 2010 at 3:58 pm

Thanks to you and your Sweetie! You can definitely grind quinoa into flour (or buy quinoa flour) but I’m not 100% sure you can replace the quinoa flakes in this recipe with the flour. Remember, quinoa flakes are steamed, so there’s some cooking going on before they ever make it into the recipe. They soak up the liquid from the eggplant really well, and I’m not sure that quinoa flour would have the same effect or texture. But let me know if you try!

8 Jen September 2, 2010 at 11:44 am

Wow these look great! just wondering, how do you get the perfect burger shape like that? we try with hands, backs of spoons etc, and even bought a burger-shaper-thingy to help, but we find it totally useless, burger mixes just fall apart in it.

9 SusanV September 2, 2010 at 12:01 pm

Jen, these burgers are very “sticky”–they don’t fall apart like others. I formed them in two ways: (1) Using wet hands (very important with a sticky mixture) to form the patties and (2) Using a 3-inch diameter open baking ring set on the skillet and filled with the burger mixture (you then lift it off and use it for the next patty). In the photos, the one in the pita bread was made using method #2, and the one in front on the baking sheet was made using method #1.

10 Jade September 2, 2010 at 12:22 pm

This is great! I have two small eggplant in the refrigerator I need to use up, as well as a box of quinoa flakes I had no idea what to do with! Thanks :)

11 Amber Shea @Almost Vegan September 2, 2010 at 12:44 pm

Haha, this is so timely—I just threw an eggplant out this morning, lamenting its demise! I wonder if I could have used it for this…I love anything curry, and anything with lentils, so this has my name written all over it.

12 GabyE September 2, 2010 at 1:23 pm

This looks absolutely delish! I love veggie burgers that use quinoa, it’s such a wonderful grain. I’m starting a new food blog at iamgabyepifano.blogspot.com and was wondering if you could pay me a visit? I haven’t posted any recipes yet, but will soon! We can be blog friends?

13 moonwatcher September 2, 2010 at 2:07 pm

These look great–I will definitely be trying them. I have a feeling they are going to be another favorite gluten free burger of mine, like your tofu beet burgers are. I cook a lot with quinoa flakes and love the result. I’ve subbed them for the oatmeal in your red bean burgers and they worked great in those, too.

Thanks for the recipe!

xo

ps: by the way, voted for you. . .that survey is a whole lot of fun to take, as surveys go–hope you win!

14 Mary September 2, 2010 at 2:24 pm

Thank you! Thank you! I needed a new recipe for eggplant :) I just discovered baba ghanoush, but these look wonderful~ My sister is bringing over an eggplant tomorrow that she doesn’t know what to do with and guess what we’ll (me) be making with it, yep you guessed it. Yay

15 Tess September 2, 2010 at 2:46 pm

Wish I had a eggplant right now! Would make this tonight. Looks great.

16 Angela September 2, 2010 at 3:21 pm

Yummy! I’m definitely going to look for the quinoa flakes! I love quinoa but there’s only so much tabouli and pilaf one can eat…

Also, thank for providing the nutritional info on your recipes. I do like to watch my sodium. What application do you use to calculate this?

17 SusanV September 2, 2010 at 3:54 pm

I use a program called Living Cookbook to figure out the nutritional info. It’s available for a free 30-day trial at http://www.livingcookbook.com.

18 Melisser September 2, 2010 at 4:16 pm

I’m not a big eggplant lover, although I do like it. This sounds like the perfect way to use it!

19 Sarah September 2, 2010 at 5:10 pm

These look amazing. I love veggie burgers, eggplant and quinoa, so this is like a foodie threesome made in heaven for me.

Always love your ideas, Susan!

20 Jess September 2, 2010 at 6:04 pm

Wow- these look great. I’ve been thinking and browsing a lot re: burger recipes (lentils, quinoa, black beans, etc) and wouldn’t have thought of eggplant. My hubby is one of those who’s a bit finicky about certain textures, but if it’s worked into a patty, it’s all good. Thank you also for the Carlin reference- made me giggle. I miss him.

21 Magda September 2, 2010 at 6:42 pm

Wow looks great. I actually just made today Indian lentil and eggplant stew. Next time I’ll make some burgers.

22 Pam @ Cooking World September 2, 2010 at 7:42 pm

I like eggplants in a few recipes only, but as you said, this may go well with people who do not generally like eggplant so I am going to be brave and make it one of these days.

Pictures and your write up sold me on this! I had never seen quinoa flakes before, but looks like amazon is selling them and maybe whole food should have it.

23 jamie @ jamelafamela September 2, 2010 at 9:33 pm

I am SO trying these tomorrow using my leftover lentils from the other day! Thanks for a great looking recipe!

24 Paula September 3, 2010 at 5:05 am

oh, I love such homemade colourful dishes!

25 Debbie@HealthSeekersKitchen September 3, 2010 at 10:30 am

Your Curried Eggplant, Lentil, and Quinoa Burgers look so delicious and the photos are gorgeous. I just need to pick up some Quinoa Flakes & an Eggplant and I can make these this weekend. Great idea! Thanks for sharing this recipe.

26 Virginie September 3, 2010 at 10:37 am

These look so great !
Do you think I can freeze them for a later use ?

27 SusanV September 3, 2010 at 10:48 am

I think they’d freeze just fine. I would have frozen some, but we ate them all up!

28 Virginie September 4, 2010 at 3:00 am

Thanks ! I’ll try them !

29 Jenny Wright September 3, 2010 at 12:23 pm

They look absolutely gorgeous and have such a beautiful colour. I’m going to give these a try for my omni boyfriend tonight!

30 Shannon September 3, 2010 at 12:39 pm

Had these last night and they were DIVINE. I didn’t have any quinoa flakes, so I used oatmeal instead (pulsed in food processor first) but next time I will try the quinoa. We also wrapped ours in lettuce leaves with the onion relish and fresh tomato slices rather than pita bread, and it was absolutely delicious. I just had leftovers for lunch and I swear they’re even better the next day. Thank you!

31 Stylish1 September 3, 2010 at 1:11 pm

I may be bias but I think almost anything in a pita with good toppings is yummy :)

32 rebecca September 3, 2010 at 1:43 pm

Yum! I have everything on-hand (even the quinoa flakes!)…this is going to be tonight’s dinner, with one little tweak. My son hates falafel and loves eggplant, so I am going to form the mixture into balls instead of patties and tuck them into ww pitas with a little cucumber raita.

33 Emma September 3, 2010 at 6:34 pm

I tried this, it was absolutely delicious! I will definitely pass this recipe on!
I’ve been following your blog for a little over a year now & using your recipes, and I’ve finally just created my own healthy eating blog.
Could you possibly add my blog to your list of recommended blogs so that i could spread the word of my blog because i know so many people view yours!
Thanks a ton & i will continue to follow =)

34 ariel September 3, 2010 at 7:22 pm

Susan, my favorite way to cook eggplant is to slice into 1/4″ slices, dip in dressing (tahini is the best) and then dredge in nutritional yeast. Bake for 10 minutes on a cookie sheet and then flip and bake another 10 minutes. They melt in your mouth! This is only good if you like nutritional yeast, but I bet panko would be good too.

35 Lisa September 30, 2010 at 9:45 pm

That is a great idea. I would try it out.

36 Mary September 3, 2010 at 10:51 pm

I just made these tonight for my sister and her eggplant! We didn’t have time to get to the store with quinoa flakes, so used quick oats. Oh my goodness, these were awesome!!! I plan on making more and freezing some. Thank you for a great recipe :)

37 Widitya September 3, 2010 at 11:54 pm

hi Suzsn, your food lok very delicious, im amaze how u capture your food..

I have new post too on my blog, dont forget to visit it and leaves your sign

cheers

Widitya

38 Veronica (lifewithnature) September 4, 2010 at 8:33 am

I wonder if I could substitute quinoa flakes by rice flakes? Since my husband suspect an intolerance to soy, it’s been a while since we had burgers. But those ones looks so delicious and soy free!

39 Sagan September 4, 2010 at 9:35 am

Thanks for the baking/grilling tip! These look really yummy.

40 Nicole September 4, 2010 at 9:49 pm

LOVE your site so much! I want to thank you loads for all the recipes you have shared, and your photography is absolutely beautiful. I just finished printing almost a dozen of your main dish recipes, and I’m so excited to try them this week! Thankk youuu!

Have a beautiful weekend!

41 Laura September 5, 2010 at 11:21 pm

Just found your blog! I LOVE IT! Thanks for putting all these delicious recipes up here to share – I will probably be trying almost all of them! Seriously!! They all look so good!

42 Lorraine September 6, 2010 at 9:18 am

I just bought a box of the flakes this past week. I loved the picture on the front cover of the box, so decided it would be breakfast for me in the morning. I generally cook Quinoa for breakfast every morning but it takes a while, so this “instant” alternative seemed good to me…especially because of the protein content. WAHOOOOO! What a disappointment…as a breakfast cereal it tasted terrible. I went to their website to figure out the mixing ratio that I couldn’t find on the box…ended up just mixing it up until it looked a little like the cover. Have you ever tried the flakes for breakfast? Thanks for your post…now I will have a use for this product now as I hate to waste!!!

43 SusanV September 6, 2010 at 9:30 am

I haven’t had it as a cereal (I’m not a breakfast person and even less a breakfast cereal person). I’ve mixed it into baked goods and into burgers, and they work very well in both. I hope you find a way to use it because it’s too expensive to waste!

44 The Sweetest Vegan September 6, 2010 at 12:10 pm

Look delicious, makes me want to make it right now

45 Emma September 6, 2010 at 8:09 pm

How do you determine the nutritional information to your recipes/ foods ?

46 SusanV September 6, 2010 at 8:18 pm

I use a program called Living Cookbook. http://www.livingcookbook.com

47 Joseph Van Buren September 8, 2010 at 1:22 pm

These were delicious and so easy to make. Thanks for another winner!

48 ElizabethS September 8, 2010 at 3:05 pm

We had these last night and the flavors were great, especially the Spicy Onion-Pepper Relish. I think I need to double the spices for us, as my paprika and cayenne must be pretty mild. This was a fabulous addition to the burgers!

Since only half my family really love my vegan lifestyle and cooking I am always on the hunt for fabulous recipes that will appeal to all of us (7 total!), not an easy task. Susan, this site has been a treasure, I hope you never tire of exploring the possibilities!

My past attempts at “burger” recipes have been met with some opposition, wanting them to be less soft and more substantial to bite into and chew. I really liked the idea of forming the patty and cooking it on the stovetop first before baking it, this helped in creating the burger greatly. I’m afraid I might have used too much eggplant though, because mine turned out very soft in the middle (even after baking them for longer than suggested) and fell apart as we were eating them. It was a delicious mess :o) I followed the recipe exactly, so I would love to try again and maybe use less eggplant and add some oats to bulk it up? Maybe add some other bean to it to increase the “meaty chewing” effect my older sons crave? We are highly sensitive to MSG in any form, so TVP is not an option. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks again for all your recipes and great ideas! Love it, love it, love it!

49 Plunkdaddy September 10, 2010 at 9:00 pm

I made these with a little more than half a cup a cup of quinoa flour (1/2 plus 1/8 of a cup of flour) and they turned out perfect. I usually hate making veggie burgers because they always seem to fall apart on me…not these. They stayed in patty formation in the browning and eating stages. Yum!

50 Dennis September 12, 2010 at 2:22 pm

Hi, as of 9/8/10 I decided to become a vegan. Over the past 15 years or so, I’ve tried several different veggie burgers. Those past veggie burgerssent me back to meat. These are different. I made these burgers and I honestly have to say they are great! I love the crunch from the quinoa and the great taste. I’m a burger guy and don’t like mushy burgers. I am going to need your help with this new lifestyle change and these burgers is a start! I modified the recipe some. First, I grilled my eggplant, brushing it with olive oil first. I grilled it for 30 minutes turning them half way thru. I used tapicoa flour for the starch and brown rice sryup for the sweetner. To me, the smoked paprika is a must. I love these burgers! I eat mine on a bun topped with cole slaw. I also use this recipe as meatballs for my spaghetti. This is a 10 star recipe! thanks! dj

51 Leslie September 13, 2010 at 8:12 pm

These were delicious!! A great way to use eggplant. My husband refuses to eat eggplant and hates the taste of it. I didn’t tell him til after he told me how much he enjoyed the burgers. You can’t even taste it. I added some cayenne pepper to spice them up and bit. Served them on toasted Ezekiel Bread with some garlic hummus, yum!! Thanks for another great recipe.

52 Cassie September 16, 2010 at 11:48 pm

thanks for this recipe!! I love eggplant and it seems all the best eggplant recipes are on your blog :) I blended some oats into oat flour and subbed them for the quinoa, and the burgers were delicious.

53 lovemyfamily September 18, 2010 at 11:07 am

Made these last night, I just threw them on a cookie sheet with some sprayed oil and skipped the stovetop part and they still turned out great

54 moonwatcher September 21, 2010 at 3:53 pm

Hi again Susan,

Just wanted to let you know these burgers traveled well on our epic road trip and were delicious every time we ate them. Back home, I just made a second batch a couple of days ago, and realized that I had somehow missed the part about pan-frying them and I had only baked them. This is better for me anyway, and, like lovemyfamily just above, they turned out great just baking them both times, and did not fall apart. They even turn easily on the parchment from browning purposes. They are more golden cooked this way than dark brown, but that is not an issue for me. These will be one of my go-to recipes. Thanks!

55 Lisa September 30, 2010 at 9:49 pm

We just finished our dinner. Both my husband and I loved it.

Do you mind if I repost this recipe with several adjustments in my livejournal? The recipe will be translated to russian and I will add a clear reference (with a link) to your blog.

By the way, here is my picture – http://i870.photobucket.com/albums/ab265/vasilisab/9f7c72f8.jpg?1285901245

56 SusanV September 30, 2010 at 10:04 pm

Love your photo! I’m happy for you to use the recipe. Thanks for asking.

57 Sarah October 4, 2010 at 1:08 am

Made these for dinner tonight and they were excellent! I’m trying to figure out what else I can pair the leftovers with instead of “burger” materials. I want to enhance their great flavor!

58 Kristin October 6, 2010 at 6:12 pm

Oh.My.Gawd. I made these for dinner tonight with the onion relish… they were AMAZING!!!! My husband and I both LOVED them. I actually added some chopped red pepper to the onion relish (my husband doesn’t like onions so I did this to mask the onion flavour a little) and it was soooo good. I love eggplant and am so happy everytime I find a new way to use it! Thank you!

59 Leslie October 10, 2010 at 7:28 am

I know I’ve already commented on this recipe but these are now my absolute favorite veggie burger. NOTHING compares! Thank you soooo much for this awesome recipe. I just made them again and froze them. They reheat great. Thanks again!! Leslie

60 Maddy October 13, 2010 at 5:18 am

HI Susan
Just wanted to ask if we need to change anything in the recipe is we cook the burgers on a pan instead of baking them in the oven?
Thanks!! (for having this site. its really the best!)
Maddy

61 SusanV October 13, 2010 at 8:02 am

You might try covering the pan for part of the cooking time to steam them a little. Other than that, I suggest long cooking on each side at a low setting. Good luck!

62 Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) October 17, 2010 at 10:40 pm

I would really love to try these out Susan. Looks and sounds delish! I just recently (last week) tried Indian food for the first time and am in love. Was wonderig what type of curry powder you use..? Also, do you think cardamom would work in these ?

63 SusanV October 17, 2010 at 11:22 pm

I buy a curry powder called Maharajah from Penzey’s or from the Spice House, both of which have online stores. Cardamom would work if you blend it with cumin and other seasonings (which is what curry powder is, a mixture of spices). If you can get it, I really recommend the Maharajah, though.

64 erica October 18, 2010 at 10:51 am

I’m very interested to try these out – have you ever used spelt flakes in place of the quinoa flakes. Just curious.

Thanks!

65 SusanV October 18, 2010 at 10:54 am

I haven’t tried spelt flakes, but if they cook in about the same time as quinoa flakes or oatmeal, they should work. If you try, please let me know how they come out!

66 kitkat October 23, 2010 at 7:42 pm

I made this today and it turned out great. I substituted quinoa flakes with rice flakes which can be found in most Indian stores as “poha” or flattened rice. Thanks for the recipe!

67 Kathy Khan October 25, 2010 at 2:52 pm

Looks great! I am a Vegan starting today due to health reasons and I will try these this week! You give me great hope in a yummy future!

68 Liesl November 20, 2010 at 2:48 pm

These look great and I just got everything to make them- almost. I don’t have any corn or potato starch and am living in France where these things don’t seem to be easy to come upon. Any ideas? Thanks!

69 SusanV November 20, 2010 at 5:24 pm

Can you get arrowroot? You can substitute the cornstarch with about 1 1/2 times as much arrowroot.

70 Kim November 23, 2010 at 5:51 am

I just discovered your site yesterday and am already addicted! These burgers look gorgeous. I plan to make them this evening. My husband’s not a big aubergine fan but after reading the reviews I’m hoping he won’t even notice.

I made your samosa wraps and lentil and veg stew last night and they went down a treat, particularly the wraps. They were so tasty. Thank you again.

Oh by the way I can’t get quinoa over here (I’m Irish living in Damascus) so was wondering if bulghur would work?

71 SusanV November 23, 2010 at 8:10 am

Thanks for all the great comments, Kim. I worry that bulghur won’t hold these burgers together very well. I suggest oatmeal (the sliced oats, not whole ones) or oat flour (oats ground in a blender) instead of the quinoa flakes. Good luck!

72 Kim November 24, 2010 at 8:36 am

Thank you for the reply. I appreciate how busy you are.

Well you were right about the bulghur-it was hard to keep them together but I managed it by using your method of forming them with the spoon and just being really gentle. They were delicious. My husband hadn’t a clue they contained aubergines so he was pleasantly surprised.

I’m in the middle of roasting some tomatoes for bruschetta. Your description sounded so nice I had to try it.

Again thank you so much for taking the time to test and perfect all the recipes. Your efforts are very much appreciated.

73 Sashira November 27, 2010 at 6:59 pm

I’ve been a long time follower, but this is my first comment. I made these last night and my husband and I just DIED! They were so good! I kept thinking about them all day today. I’ve tried many recipes from your blog, and have loved every one of them, but this one just blew us away! Thank you!

74 Kelly Michelle December 5, 2010 at 2:51 pm

Delicious, just like all your recipes. I used oatmeal for the quinoa flakes cause that’s what I had and they came out great. I didn’t make the salsa because these pair PERFECTLY with hummus, my fav. I have tried many many veggie burger recipes and this is one of the very best in terms of not falling apart as many recipes tend to do.

75 Vanessa December 7, 2010 at 12:27 pm

AMAZING super food. We just finished eating and it was beautiful. We made it alongside a cherry tomato and mixed greens salad, super finely chopped and added some avocado to the relish to make it more of a paste so we could scoop it up. SOOO tasty! Thank you!

76 Mari January 6, 2011 at 2:01 pm

I made these burgers tonight but my mixture wouldn’t stick together. I use puy lentils…which I think was wrong! What lentils do you use Susan? They tasted great…just looked or turned out nothing like yours! :(

77 SusanV January 6, 2011 at 2:42 pm

I’m sorry to hear that, Mari! I did use brown lentils, which are a bit mushier than puy lentils, so that might have been the problem.

78 Mari January 7, 2011 at 6:45 am

Ah I thought afterwards I should of used something like split red lentils as, like you say, they are mushier and would have the right consistency. Will definitely try these again.

79 Mari January 14, 2011 at 8:19 am

Take number 2 Susan and they turned out perfect! These are SO yummie :) I don’t eat wheat so had these with a nice salad and some spicy guacamole!

80 Craig January 24, 2011 at 5:57 pm

What type of lentils do you recommend?

81 Craig January 24, 2011 at 5:59 pm

Brown lentils – just saw your comment above. I take it you mean the round disc green/brown ones.

82 SusanV January 24, 2011 at 6:30 pm

That’s right. They’re the only ones that most grocery stores carry. The French lentils (puy) are probably not soft enough.

83 Fiona February 2, 2011 at 5:10 am

Wow. These are really, really good. They are so flavorful! Everyone in my family loved them and agreed they were repeat worthy. They really weren’t even that hard either! I cooked the eggplant in the morning and then finished the recipe in the evening. I didn’t have the smoked paprika so I just used the Hungarian sweet. Amazingly the regular supermarket in a small town in Australia, Coles, carries quinoa flakes and agave nectar so it was easy to get the ingredients too! We had ours with the relish and romaine lettuce and tomato slices and sliced beetroot and they really didn’t need anything else to be absolutely perfect. The sliced beetroot is a really great addition – I very much recommend it. I love that these are so healthy and also so tasty. I love food with lots of herbs and spices and these burgers fit the bill! I was also impressed by how well they stuck together – something vegan burgers don’t usually do so well. A++! Thanks for yet another fantastic recipe Susan! Can’t wait for your cookbook!

84 Get Skinny, Go Vegan. March 2, 2011 at 3:00 pm

Yum!! LOVE that you don’t add extra fat!!

85 Patrice Keating June 11, 2011 at 4:29 pm

I just made these today….doubled the recipe….company coming for dinner tomorrow. Used a # 16 scoop which I sprayed with some Pam and lightly flattened with the back of the scoop until 1/2″ thick. A doubled recipe made 18 patties.

I found the quinoa flakes in the health-food section of my local grocery store, no problem. More importantly…these burgers ROCK!!!!!….The Fam’s gonna love ‘em!….Please know how important it is for me to have someone a click away on my computer with such a plethora of knowledge….thank you. : )

86 cris June 20, 2011 at 9:25 pm

These burgers are delicious! My 12 year old loves them. Thanks for the recipe!

87 Marina July 7, 2011 at 3:12 pm

Thanks Susan! Can You recommend other vegetable instead of eggplant?
Thanks

88 Erin September 1, 2011 at 12:31 pm

I made these last night and they were awesome. I’m going to make a double batch this weekend and freeze them for easy suppers during the week. SOOO delicious!

89 Jeni Morris January 15, 2012 at 9:12 pm

I just wanted to let you know I made these for dinner tonight and we loved them!
I did use Whole Cooked Quinoa and a some extra Whole Wheat Panko crumbs to help bind them, (since I did not of the Quinoa flakes on hand) and they worked out perfect!

90 tereza crump aka MyTreasuredCreations February 11, 2012 at 3:37 am

here is my question: can I freeze this? could I make a big batch and freeze small portions to reheat on a skillet?

91 Susan Voisin February 11, 2012 at 8:35 am

Yes, I think it would freeze very well.

92 Carol June 3, 2012 at 6:40 pm

In the ingredients, do you mean 1 cup of dried lentils, cooked, or 1 cup of previously cooked lentils?

93 Susan Voisin June 3, 2012 at 6:54 pm

1 cup of previously cooked lentils.

94 Jessica June 5, 2012 at 8:41 am

To anyone thinking of making these……MAKE THEM! THEY’RE DELISH!
I made these tonight for my partner and a friend and we all LOVED them!
Although instead of serving them in wraps we had them in toasted turkish bread (with the spicy onion relish, avocado, red onion, tomato and mised lettuce)
We’ve just started eating vegan, and this is definatly one of the best recipes I’ve come across so far so thankyou so much for it, it will definatly become a regular meal for us!

95 Andrea August 6, 2012 at 10:33 pm

Hello, I just made this delicious patties. I used arrow root, and my eggplant wasn’t as big, so I added zucchini, used split peas instead of lentils because I didn’t have any. However, I had issues cooking the patties. First I couldn’t sear them in the pan, I guess they were probably to wet and I didn’t want to use to much oil. So, I decided to bake them only, put parchment paper, but they got stuck, I couldn’t get them off without losing their browned bottoms. Any suggestions?

96 Katherine November 22, 2012 at 9:45 am

I loved this recipe! Thanks for posting. I am a big aubergine fan at the moment, and this is a great new way to eat them.

97 Hanna Rodden December 11, 2012 at 12:06 am

have been looking for a specific resipe that I saw ina magazine or catalog and now cannot fidn it. The recipe was for eggplant patties made with red curry paste. Bought the paste and now cannot find the recipe. is very frustrating.

98 Esther J January 3, 2013 at 2:44 pm

Honestly, this is probably the best veggie burger I’ve ever made!

I love the texture, the flavors, everything. All the time, though, I was craving naan or roti. I think next time I make them I’ll try to find some to complement them. Umm, yummy. :)

Thanks, ma’m!

99 Jane January 17, 2013 at 5:23 pm

Hi,
Made these last night for my family and they were fantastic!! Will definitely be a family favorite. Loved they way they held together and didn’t disintegrate like many other veggie burgers. Also, they had a great texture and so full of flavor.
Many thanks x

100 Statch September 2, 2013 at 3:29 pm

I tried these today, and my husband and I really enjoyed them. I used yellow split peas because they were all I had, and they were a little too crunchy, so I would use the brown ones next time, but the flavor was great, and otherwise we liked the texture too. My husband saw the eggplant in advance, and doesn’t like eggplant’s taste or texture, so he started out with a bias against them, but still said he enjoyed them and would like to have them again. (And he doesn’t hesitate to say when he doesn’t like something!) I used quick oats pulsed in the food processor instead of the quinoa flakes. I really liked how the burgers held their shape.

101 Katherine Colbert September 4, 2013 at 9:17 am

I prepped the eggplant last night and the lentils and cooked it up today. Lets just say the patties are all gone. What a great way to use eggplant!

102 Sinead October 7, 2013 at 1:00 pm

Wow these were so amazing! This will be made over and over. I had them with the relish and cashew ‘sour cream’. The relish was also fab. I added a small amount of agave to it. Thank you so much for this recipe. :)

103 Shireen P October 11, 2013 at 1:26 am

These were DELICIOUS! I didn’ t have quinoa flakes, so I substituted quick-cut oats. And the onion relish is perfect with them! Next time I will double the recipe and freeze a batch for later. Yum!