E’s Super-Awesome Brussels Sprouts and Mushrooms

by on February 21, 2011

Brussels Sprouts and Mushrooms

If there’s one thing I’ve learned during almost 14 years of parenting, it’s that if you want your kids to eat vegetables, get them into the kitchen to cook them.  Last week I was about to toss some Brussels sprouts into the oven to roast when my daughter stopped me:

“Please don’t cook them in the oven!”

“Why not?”

“Because I don’t like them that way.  Cook them in a skillet.”

“Okay, Smartypants.  Any other suggestions?”

“Add mushrooms, lots of mushrooms.”

“Maybe you should just do this by yourself.”

She didn’t, of course.  Trimming Brussels sprouts is much more tedious than designing a recipe, so I did most of the work under E’s direction.  We added an entire box of mushrooms (“the best part”) to the Brussels sprouts with garlic, onion, and black pepper as the only seasonings.  And you know what?  E actually ate 2 helpings.  I may put her in charge of all the side dishes from now on.

Brussels Sprouts and Mushrooms Recipe

More Brussels Sprouty Goodness:

Brussels Sprouts Stir-Fry
Brussels Sprouts and Shiitake Mushroom Soup
Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Brussels Sprouts Two Ways
Shredded Brussels Sprouts & Apples from 101 Cookbooks
Chipotle Chili With Sweet Potatoes And Brussel Sprouts from Post-Punk Kitchen
Brussels Sprouts Roasted with Lime and Garlic from get sconed
Shredded Brussels Sprouts with Persimmons and Walnuts from wasabimon.com (vegan option)

1 Marta February 21, 2011 at 2:05 pm

These look amazing! I love brussels sprouts, but only when they’re cooked until tender. I’m looking forward to trying these! I’m hoping my family will be brave enough to do so, or should I say, my husband will be brave enough. :) Mushrooms should help! :)

2 Wendy (Healthy Girl's Kitchen) February 21, 2011 at 2:15 pm

Brussels sprouts are my absolute favorite vegetable. They have the same effect on me that candy does–once I start I don’t want to stop!!!! Thanks for a beautiful preparation of them!

3 Tracy February 21, 2011 at 2:41 pm

These Brussels sprouts look super delicious. Mushrooms were a stroke of genius!

4 Lauren Adeline February 21, 2011 at 3:54 pm

This looks so delicious. I know what I’m making tonight! Thank you for sharing.

5 Anna February 21, 2011 at 5:22 pm

Susan, how do you roast your brussel sprouts in the oven without oil? Just dry? Or do you add broth?

6 SusanV February 21, 2011 at 5:29 pm

I spray them very lightly with olive oil, so it’s not completely fat-free but close. I find that they burn too easily without any oil.

7 Emma February 25, 2011 at 2:41 am

I suppose it’s not so much roasting as steaming, but I find that Brussels sprouts turn out juicy and delicious in a clay cooker. No oil needed.

8 Jeanette February 21, 2011 at 6:09 pm

Brussels sprouts are so good for you. I usually roast them. I’ve never made them with mushrooms, but I’ll have try this combination. Looks good!

9 Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner February 21, 2011 at 6:15 pm

Brussel Sprouts bring back so many memories for me. I’ve been wanting to try them roasted — this sounds INCREDIBLE! :) Thanks! :D

10 Celestial Season February 21, 2011 at 7:22 pm

That sounds really good! We’ll have to try it for dinner tonight! :)

11 Gwen~healthymamma February 21, 2011 at 7:40 pm

So true! I let my kids pick out which color lentils, type of beans and veggies they want at the market and they are much more enthusiastic to eat “their” groceries.
I love brussels and adore mushrooms! Yum!

12 Mary (what's cookin' with mary) February 21, 2011 at 8:08 pm

B-sprouts and mushrooms are two of my most favorite veggies. This is a great idea E! Thank you ;)

13 Sara A. February 21, 2011 at 8:17 pm

I do this all the time! Yummy yummy! It was the first dish that got my boyfriend to realize he likes brussels sprouts.

Usually when I cook it, I will top with a little nutritional yeast or chopped almonds or cashews, though. Or I’ll add it to quinoa with a little lemon juice and maybe some tomatoes and make it the main dish.

14 Krista February 21, 2011 at 9:42 pm

I have developed a new love of brussel sprouts in the last year or so. It did take a bit of courage to try them again after having had them cooked to death when I was a child–yecchh! Now I cannot get enought of them! One of my fave ways to have them is to roast them with mushrooms, minced garlic, dried cranberries, and coarsely ground sea salt, coated with olive oil. I love how they brown–yum!

15 April at Kitchen-Blender-Reviews February 22, 2011 at 9:47 pm

Funny how Brussels Sprouts do that to a person. I seem to love them more and more every time I cook them. I started out cooking them only because I knew I should. Now I really really like them. :)

Lately I have been steaming them with nothing but water and air! Lovely and so tasty! I will give them cranberries a try. I am sure they will look delicious together…the colors. Thanks for the idea Krista.

16 virtual.jess February 22, 2011 at 12:38 am

This is exactly how I do mine… Except I thinly slice my sprouts and finish with a bit of dry white wine. Delicious.

17 Erin February 22, 2011 at 1:01 am

What a cute story about E! Love it :)

18 ClenbuTerol February 22, 2011 at 5:18 am

I admit it, they look awesome, but they could use some real butter.
mmm… the taste…

19 Sarah (Flavoropolis) February 22, 2011 at 5:37 am

This looks great – I’ve never made brussels sprouts in a skillet but from the directions it sounds like a great way to cook them. In the oven I find they often end up overcooked or undercooked, plus they take forever. The skillet sounds like a superior method, I’ll have to try it.
It’s awesome that you’re getting your daughter involved in cooking at such a young age! It’s such a valuable life skill, I would have eaten much healthier if I’d known how to cook as a teen.

20 Diane February 22, 2011 at 10:21 am

I don’t hink any brussel sprout recipe can top your Brussel Sprouts with Lemon Mustard Sauce. My whole family just devours them, even my picky son in law who doesn’t even like them. I have never had better ones. If your readers haven’t tried them, I urge them to do so……..Keep em’ comin.

21 SusanV February 22, 2011 at 10:24 am

Thanks! I love those too! Here’s the link for anyone who’s interested: http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2006/02/brussels-sprouts-two-ways.html

22 t February 22, 2011 at 10:24 am

Oooh sounds like a combo of two of my favorite things! Can’t wait to try.

23 sweet road February 22, 2011 at 11:26 am

Oh this looks good! I’ve never done brussel sprouts with mushrooms, I usually roast them with rosemary and sometimes almonds and apple… really good… but this makes me want to try something a bit more savory!

24 stephanie February 22, 2011 at 1:20 pm

That is very funny, I just posted oven roasted Brussles sprouts. I have never had them any other way, I will have to give yours a try!

25 Juan February 22, 2011 at 3:18 pm

I wants wondering what’s the taste like of your sprouts. When my wife prepare the sprouts, she only boil it and add a little bit of sugar.

26 Gluten Free Diva February 22, 2011 at 9:00 pm

Such a simple dish, but so delicious. Though I prefer them roasted, for expediency sake, I tend to cook them just like E suggested. And they’re delicious, even when panfried. I’ll have to try the mushroom addition. Nice though!

27 Jo February 22, 2011 at 11:33 pm

Delicious!! We’ve been indulging in brussel sprouts all winter and tend to stick to the same (now boring) recipes. Mushrooms! Yum!

28 Angie's Recipes February 23, 2011 at 3:16 am

One of my absolutely favourite veggies! Haven’t tried them with the mushrooms though…thanks for sharing it!
Angie

29 Gena February 23, 2011 at 7:57 pm

I’ve always anticipated the moment when E’s recipes start to pop up! This is a great one.

30 Aidee February 24, 2011 at 10:21 am

I never new how to do brussels! Such a yummy and simple recipe, I may be doing this for dinner tonight! :)

31 Betty February 24, 2011 at 10:36 am

My husband made this recipe last night and it was wonderful! The dish was so savory and flavorful. Thanks for the recipe!

32 Melisser February 24, 2011 at 12:53 pm

Aw, that sounds lovely! I like skillet Brussels too.

33 Sammie February 24, 2011 at 10:38 pm

I fear brussel sprouts. But hearing that your kids can enjoy them makes me feel like a wuss and they look really appetizing!

34 laloofah February 25, 2011 at 8:14 pm

What serendipity! I’d bought just over a pound of brussels sprouts on Tuesday and received this post in my email the next day. We’d planned to steam them and have them with chia seeds and walnut dressing the way we always do, but decided to give E’s recipe a try instead. It’s brilliant! E’s brilliant! :-) Simple to prepare and wonderfully flavorful, this is now a new favorite way to enjoy brussels sprouts. Thank you E and Susan, what a great culinary team you are!

I loved veggies as a kid but loathed brussels sprouts. It was only a year or so ago that a few friends (and many vegan bloggers) convinced me that the sprouts of my youth were loathsome because they’d been overcooked and I needed to give them another chance. Glad I did!

35 Azahara February 27, 2011 at 3:32 pm

My mom never cooked Brussels sprouts, so I’ve discovered them as a young adult. I’ve just been eating them for about 2 years, thanks to the great ideas found in your blog, and I must say I love them to the point that I spend many a winter Sunday afternoon trimming, blanching and freezing sprouts so that I can also have them in the summer.
I always cook mine in the skillet, with dried basil and veggie broth, and combine them with a base of millet boiled with a little dried oregano. I also add caramelized onion (done without oil, à la SusanV!), some chickpeas, and mushrooms–usually “camagrocs” (cf. http://ca.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camagroc) or porcini, both if which can be easily dried. On top of all that, I throw in lightly roasted sunflower seeds, raw walnuts and a Tbsp. of ground flaxseed, which gives the dish a hearty nutty flavor.
It’s a huge portion, I know, but it’s just a bit over 600 calories (I’m a bit underweight, so I really need them) and it’s highly nutritious and healthy. I simply love it! And I guess it would also make a nice kid-friendly dish.

36 Azahara February 27, 2011 at 3:39 pm

-I think the link I provided doesn’t quite work. Here you have another one:

-Also, I meant “ON your blog.” Sorry!

37 A (Nearly Vegan) February 27, 2011 at 11:06 pm

Ah this was delicious and perfectly simple! Thanks!!! I love expanding my vegan options!

38 Florian @ frenchyscuisine.com February 28, 2011 at 12:45 pm

Looks nice, Brussels sprouts are difficult to cook or too ad in a recipe, a few people like those :/

39 Josh Cole March 1, 2011 at 7:46 am

They are definitely better in a skillet. I agree with your daughter 100%.

40 Christopher Kandrat March 1, 2011 at 11:59 am

Brussel sprouts are one of my favorite things of all times, Hopefully I get to make this soon.

41 Carlo March 1, 2011 at 6:57 pm

The brussels sprouts’ color looks perfect, awesome! :-)

42 Mrsflex March 2, 2011 at 7:15 pm

This was good though I still prefer brussels sprouts oven roasted. I really enjoyed the mushroom/onion combo with the sprouts. Thanks for another good variation on brussels sprouts. ~Leslie

43 Hilncore March 3, 2011 at 10:26 am

Thank you for this simple and time saving recipe!!

44 Kelly Preston March 5, 2011 at 7:50 pm

Oh my goodness Susan, this looks SO delicious. I’m a huge brussel sprouts fan. Can’t wait to make this ASAP!

45 Theresa March 8, 2011 at 10:57 am

just wanted to drop you a note to say this dish is amazing! Even though I love mushrooms and brussels, I was somehow thinking they wouldn’t really be good together. I ended up making this twice in a row last week and will probably good it again this week. I love brussels cooked this way.

Theresa

46 moonwatcher March 10, 2011 at 9:57 am

Well, organic brussels sprouts finally dropped from 8.99 a lb to 3.99 a pound, so I quickly splurged and made about a third of this recipe for myself. I had a few mushrooms to use up at home. At the very end, I threw in some leftover wild rice and about a tablespoon of a version of your miso sauce, and that was good, too. But I tasted the veggies as is first, to be sure it would go, and they were delicious like this. Thanks to E, too. It’s always nice to have another tasty way to prepare brussels sprouts!

47 pistola March 13, 2011 at 12:38 pm

Nice recipe.I added a few grape tomatoes toward the end to add a little more acidity and color.

48 Bonnie March 14, 2011 at 6:09 pm

These were so delicious! Even my 2 year old asked for seconds :)

49 Carol March 15, 2011 at 9:34 am

I made this recipe last week and it is now one of my new favorites. However, I did make one change and one that I thought added another dimension. I love mushrooms and I did add Baby Bellas. But I also added Lobster mushrooms, which I get dried at my local groccer. And since they have to be hydrated, it added all the moisture I needed at the end. Bravo….wonderful combination of flavors while improving the taste of brussel sprouts. Thanks again, Susan!

50 Sunny March 27, 2011 at 2:36 pm

Could you use frozen Brussels Sprouts? If not, and I really HATE boiling them… what could I do with a bag of frozens?
Thanks!

51 SusanV March 27, 2011 at 2:54 pm

I’m afraid I haven’t tried it with frozen sprouts. I think you could probably defrost them, cut them, and then use them like fresh, but that’s just a guess.

52 Tina February 10, 2013 at 7:49 pm

Frozen Brussels Sprouts can be roasted in the oven. Just spray your baking sheet, dump them (still frozen and whole) onto the pan and roast in a preheated (400) oven until done, 10 to 25 minutes, stirring a couple of times. I haven’t tried Susan’s suggestion of thawing and cutting them, but I will be trying it this week in this recipe.

53 Danielle March 27, 2011 at 4:55 pm

I just made these with leeks in place of the onions! We loved them! GREAT recipe! Thanks for posting!! :D

54 The Healthy Apple April 1, 2011 at 6:57 pm

I love Brussels Sprouts; I just made them tnite and I am on a seriously delicious Brussels Sprouts kick these days, I just can’t get enough of ‘em. This recipe looks delicious; I’ll have to try adding the mushrooms next time!
Enjoy your weekend.

55 Tonyette April 12, 2011 at 4:18 pm

I tried this recipe a few weeks ago after my team leader at work sent me the link to your site! I made it the same night she sent it…it was delicious! I can’t to try it again! (By the way, I’m neither vegan nor fat-free!)
I look forward to trying more of your recipes soon!

56 Stephanie Layton May 19, 2011 at 12:26 am

This is such an amazing recipe. So easy and yet SO flavorful. It’s by far the best brussels sprouts recipe! Thank you thank you!! Highly recommend trying this recipe!!

57 nikki June 16, 2011 at 11:43 am

can you use frozen Brussels sprouts in this recipe ? because fresh Brussels sprouts are kind of hard to find for me.

58 SusanV June 16, 2011 at 12:01 pm

You can try, but they cook quicker than fresh, so adjust the time as needed.

59 Annie November 9, 2011 at 5:20 pm

I made these tonight. They were delightful!!! I will be making these again and again. :)

60 Vegan gifts February 18, 2012 at 3:55 am

What great ideas for vegan meals. Thank you for this recipe, I’m now off to read some of your others.

61 Marie February 23, 2012 at 12:22 pm

I made this recipe with baby bella mushrooms at it was soooo good! Also very easy to make.
I don’t really like mushrooms but I try to incorporate them in my cooking because they are really good for you so I usually use the baby bella ones because they don’t have this really mushroom-my taste and they are small.
Just a side note – I really love your web site, I made a lot of your recipes and so far, was never disappointed, thank you!

62 Monica February 23, 2012 at 5:30 pm

Yum! And I just bought some pretty Brussels at the Farm market today. Nice.

63 Stacey June 6, 2012 at 6:34 pm

Yesterday at the store I had purchased Brussels sprouts and baby Bella mushrooms, not planning to use them together. I came across your blog and was looking through it last night and saw this recipe. I just had to try it! So today I did. It was so good!! Thank you and thank E for me :)

64 Tawnya October 17, 2012 at 3:56 pm

I also make my Brussel Sprouts vegan or vegetarian if I add cheese. I do them similar to you with mushrooms, onion and garlic, except I don’t add broth, sometimes I add a little white wine or water to get the flavor from the bottom of the skillet. At the very end I add a couple of table spoons of marinated julienne cut sun dried tomatoes and let them warm through (2 – 5 mins) Then after I plate it, I will grate a little asiago or parm on top.

65 Anne February 23, 2013 at 6:25 pm

The hummus encrusted cauliflower was fabulous – my omnivore husband loved it, too. Thanks for posting it.

66 Ilene May 8, 2013 at 12:00 am

I have been wanting to make this for awhile but had to wait for hubby to be away. He can’t stand brussel sprouts (more for me!). This was delicious. Did you know you can get sliced brussel sprouts and mushrooms at Trader Joe’s? Apparently they read your recipe and wanted to make it super easy. :-)

67 Robin November 27, 2013 at 10:51 pm

Susan and E

Just made tonite: absolutely delicious!!!!!

R

68 Robin January 14, 2014 at 8:52 am

I have made this 3 times and it is really delicious!!! Easy and I can eat a huge plate of these and call it dinner when I want to be virtuous! Our supermarket sells the brussels sprouts all trimmed and cut in half so this is quick and easy too. Another winning recipe!

69 kim February 25, 2014 at 11:57 am

Hi Susan, The hubbins is out tonight and this is tonight’s dinner for me . Maybe some rice ,carrots and……veggie patties :) mmmmm