Last night, along with the collard greens, I served Cajun 15-Bean Soup. I made it a little differently than my usual recipe, so here’s my updated version. (The old version used Gimme Lean sausage, so if you’re into fake meats, you might want to check it out on the FFV website.
Cajun 15-Bean Soup
- 20 ounces dried mixed beans (you can find these prepackaged in most grocery stores), rinsed
- 12 cups water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- juice of one lemon
- 15-ounce can stewed tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon Liquid Smoke flavoring or smoked salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
- I saved some time by putting the beans into the pressure cooker with 8 cups water, cooking at high pressure for 15 minutes, and then releasing the pressure and cooking until the beans were completely cooked. If you use a pressure cooker, I advise letting the pressure come down naturally rather than quick-releasing. And if you have a quick-release setting on your PC, do not use it! I had beans stuck in my valve when I tried that.
- If you don’t want to pressure cook them, place the washed beans in a pot with 12 cups of water, bring to a boil, and simmer, covered, for 60-75 minutes until beans are tender.
- When the beans are almost finished cooking, brown the onion, celery, bell pepper, and garlic in a non-stick skillet.
- Add onion mixture, stewed tomatoes, and lemon juice to the beans along with the spices and simmer 30-45 minutes. (If you started the beans in the pressure cooker, add 2 cups water at this time if they seem dry or thick.) Add liquid smoke and salt after simmering. Serve with bread or over rice, or just by itself, as I did.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s) | Cooking time: 1 hour(s) 45 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 8
Nutrition (per serving without salt): 276 calories, 13 calories from fat, 1.4g total fat, 0mg cholesterol, 298.3mg sodium, 227.5mg potassium, 47.8g carbohydrates, 20g fiber, 5.7g sugar, 17.3g protein.