Cajun 15-Bean Soup

by on January 26, 2006

Last night, along with the collard greens, I served Cajun 15-Bean Soup. I made it a little differently than my usual recipe, so here’s my updated version. (The old version used Gimme Lean sausage, so if you’re into fake meats, you might want to check it out on the FFV website.

Cajun 15-Bean Soup

Current day month ye@r *

1 SusanV March 4, 2011 at 10:49 am

Here are the old comments from before the blog was moved:

rooneycj said…

love this blog – was directed here from weight watchers.

wondering – would you say this is an 8 serving or 12 serving recipe?

1:50 PM, January 31, 2006
——————————–
SusanV said…

Hmmm. I hadn’t really thought about it. My first instinct is to say that it’s 8 servings. That would be 8 fairly big servings. But you could count it as 10 or 12 small servings, too. I probably wouldn’t be satisfied with one of those servings, though.

I’m glad you found the blog! It’s nice to know that people on weight watchers are being directed here.

10:35 PM, January 31, 2006
———————————–
Pat said…

Susan,
I made this soup yesterday. Didn’t have paprika, chili powder so I used Chef Paul’s Blackened Redfish Magick from DH’s spice pantry and left out the salt and liquid smoke. I served with rice and large green salad. Mmm–mm. Thanks for your inspiration!

2:34 PM, January 23, 2007
—————————-
Anonymous said…

I soaked the beans in water overnight for 12 hours. Rinsed them in the morning and added them to a slow cooker along with the other ingredients.

I put the onion, celery, & pepper in a food processor along with some carrots. I sauted the veggies in a little olive oil for 15 minutes.

I cooked the soup on low for 8 hours. I think I added too much water (12 cups) because it seemed a little watery.

We added croutons and feta cheese to our bowls of soup. I agreed that while it was good I think the amount of water diluted the flavors.

6:16 AM, August 01, 2007
————————-
salina said…

so this soup was pretty amazing a added more spice to it and i served it to my family of non vegans and it was a hit. thanks- Salina

6:47 PM, February 02, 2008

2 Sue Smith March 4, 2011 at 11:11 am

Thanks for all the help. I’m trying to cut out the fat and salt from my vegan diet and your site really helps. I’ve lived with congestive heart failure since 1998. I lost a lot of weight for a few years, but my weight came back with a vengance. I hardly eat anything, but still put on 60 lbs. Last month I was told I have diabetes, very controlled diabetes, but still diabetes. Just had my thyroid checked and it’s at the borderline hypothyroid. Everything I read says this is the way to eat to beat diabetes and heart disease, but it can cause hypothyroid in some people. This is a challenge, but I love eating vegan. Thanks for your help.

3 Julie March 4, 2011 at 1:39 pm

This is probably a dumb question but are the beans supposed to be soaked before the cooking you describe above?

4 SusanV March 4, 2011 at 1:46 pm

No, they’re cooked without soaking. The bean mix includes lentils and split-peas that would be too mushy if soaked before cooking, so I just cook them unsoaked until all the beans are tender.

5 Melanie March 4, 2011 at 3:14 pm

Hi,
What type of bell pepper would work best?

6 SusanV March 4, 2011 at 4:27 pm

Green is traditional, but any bell pepper will do.

7 Nita Ruggiero March 29, 2011 at 10:47 am

Susan – I know this is an old recipe but I have to tell you that I made this for dinner last night with one of your cornbread recipes and it was AWESOME! I use this website all the time when I am trying to plan my dinner menu and I have never been disappointed! You are a gifted cook and photographer! Thank you so much for taking your time to post all the recipes! I wait with bated breath for your cookbook to be published…..

8 SusanV March 29, 2011 at 11:27 am

Nita, thank you so much for the kind words. You don’t know how much they mean!

9 lauren June 8, 2011 at 6:18 pm

I tried this out today, i left out the celery (not a fan) .. & i didn’t have paprika or cayenne, and used lemon pepper instead of a lemon . but besides all of that I absolutely loved it! :) I just ate it with some saltines…
i can only imagine how good it would be with all of the spices i’ll follow the recipe fully next time.
THANK YOU!

10 gretchen October 15, 2011 at 12:21 am

Haha, your recipe is EXACTLY as mine. I always “cheat with the hickory smoke flavoring. I was looking for something else in the way of veggies or grains, so I’m adding butternut squash? And a veggie broth simmered and strained from the skins & seeds of the squash with celery, carrots, peppercorns, bay leaf, shallots s&p. The broth right now is better than the soup. Can’t wait to combine the two!

11 Mia J January 5, 2012 at 4:34 pm

Thank goodness I found this recipe.. I have a 15 bean package with one of those nasty seasoning packets that has been in my pantry for ages. I’ll be making this very soon!!

12 Eden February 7, 2012 at 2:24 pm

Wow! This is a really good recipe. It was my first 10 bean soup (I didn’t have 15 varities-ha!) I think my taste buds are dead, so no insult to your cooking, I just tripled all the spices listed. The thyme and the liquid smoke really give this such a good flavor! Next time, I think I’ll triple the veggies as well.

Everyone else mentioning it being too watery- I used a super big pot (large surface area) and I kept having to add more water. Keep in mind the size of your stock pot when it comes to how much should be used.

13 Dawn February 17, 2012 at 10:07 am

Hi Susan–I made this soup yesterday. Well–a slight variation from your recipe because I added three small heads of baby bok choy. I recently purchased a pressure cooker and wanted to try out a recipe. I used 8 oz. of Bob’s Red Mill 13 Bean Soup mixture and four cups of water in the pressure cooker. When they were close to being finished cooking I sauteed onion, garlic, white parts of bok choy, one diced carrot, and some small sweet peppers. (I didn’t have any celery.)
Then added these to the beans with some more water and all the seasonings. Then after it simmered for a bit, I added the green parts of the bok choy. So absolutely delicious–I even had a bowl for breakfast. Crazy huh? Thanks for the recipe!

14 Amy P February 26, 2012 at 9:55 pm

Hey Susan! Question.. Think this can this be made in a slow cooker, instead of a pressure cooker or stove stop? Probably would decrease water to 8 cups, since not boiling stove top, right? What are your thoughts? LOVE your site. I share with everyone, vegan or not! Thanks!

15 Susan Voisin February 27, 2012 at 7:28 am

I think it would probably work. The only concern I have is if there are any kidney beans in the mix. Kidney beans have to be boiled in order to make them safe to eat, so I would avoid using them in the slow cooker unless you boil them for about 15 minutes first. Good luck!

16 Eden February 27, 2012 at 7:46 am

oh my goodness! I’ve been slow cooking all my beans this whole time, just read the wikipedia page about how slow cooking kidney beans does just as you said. I guess I always happened to RE-cook them in the dish I made them in, such as boiling them all mashed up in a daal with spices. I can’t believe I’ve been just one step away from poisoning myself multiple times!

17 Sheri A April 16, 2012 at 10:30 am

Susan,
Can you give me a link or something to read about kidney beans and why they have to be boiled to make them safe to eat???? I am hearing about this for the first time. Sure dont want to poison my family! Thanks Susan!!!

18 Susan Voisin April 16, 2012 at 10:46 am
19 Fiona October 18, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Although I changed the recipe just a tad, I very much enjoyed this soup and would make it again. I used a pressure cooker the whole way through to save dishes. I pressure cooked my bean soup mix from Whole Foods (didn’t know what 20 oz was so I used 2.5 cups with only 6 c water instead of 12) for 15 min, chopped the veggies while they cooked (I omitted the garlic, used almost the whole bunch of celery, about 2 cups chopped green beans, a cippolini onion and a shallot because that’s what I had on hand), added heaping measurements of the spices, only used 1 tsp salt, added 1/4 cup nooch, and then pressure cooked for 1 more minute because I like soup veggies crisp and not mushy. It came out perfectly! I’ve noticed you have a way with combining spices Susan! The flavor is very yummy!

20 ashley October 27, 2012 at 4:59 pm

I tried this last week and it turned out really good. I added corn and might’ve accidently skipped a few spices but it tasted like chili when I was done… Loved it anyway.

21 Heike January 25, 2013 at 11:26 am

hello
i am so happy i found your site/facebook page!!! you make the loveliest, tastiest meals. my friends don’t want to believe how good it all tastes, they hear fat free and vegan, and they go ‘yuck!!!’… =) their loss!!!

22 Pam January 25, 2013 at 7:37 pm

Thanks so much Susan. Often times I am wondering what to have for dinner – your blog pops up and – voila !! I know what to do for dinner. Your recipes are always so delicious and easy to make. You should really put them all in a book. I have a file called FFV on my Evernote (making my own recipe book of all your recipes). Thank you once again for another delicious meal for my family.

23 Susan September 5, 2013 at 5:36 pm

I made this today, subbing a seeded cayenne pepper for the ground cayenne pepper. I might use two next time, since the one gave just a hint of heat. Very tasty! Thanks!

{ 1 trackback }