Green Olive Hummus

by on May 27, 2006

If you are beginning to think my family lives on hummus, you’re very close to being right. We use hummus for just about everything around here: a snack with veggies and crackers, a salad topping, a sandwich filling, and dinner with pitas, tabouli, and other Middle Eastern dishes. We love hummus.

We also love olives: Kalamata olives, green olives, and those jumbo black olives that my husband swears have no taste (but E. and I love them anyway). So you won’t be surprised to hear that green olive hummus is our very favorite type of hummus. I don’t make it often, because olives are high in sodium, but when I do, it doesn’t last very long. This recipe uses less tahini because the olives contain fat and cuts down on the spices so that the olives carry the flavor. If you like olives as much as we do, you’ll love this hummus!

Green Olive Hummus

1 DeAnna September 13, 2009 at 10:35 am

I'm very glad I found your blog! great recipes & professional photographs!

2 Bluemarvel November 19, 2009 at 3:20 am

I come back to this blog regularly. Thanks Susan for all these scrumptious recipes. The olive hummus is a favourite, though I leave out the salt & often substitute a teaspoon or two of tamarind paste for the sumac. It always tastes wonderful!

3 Mary May 5, 2010 at 10:20 am

Why isn’t there a print tag with this recipe? It took 3 pages and it printed all the comments.

4 SusanV May 5, 2010 at 10:25 am

Sorry! I wish you’d asked before you printed. I can add a print page, or you can select just the text you want to print and then choose “Print Selection.”

5 Tommy May 24, 2011 at 10:47 am

Hi,

Great site, thanks! I just wanted to give you a suggestion for the hummus: I find that the texture is much nicer if you first mix the tahini, lemon juice and a bit of water to a fine whitish cream in a blender, and then add the spices and the chickpeas little by little.

Much love!

6 Gena August 11, 2012 at 12:29 pm

Hi! Exactly the recipe I was looking for, however, you say “add the remaining olives.” Are you referencing the remaining olives in the jar? Or did you just add part of the 1/2 cup olives listed in the recipe at first, and then the rest at the end? Sorry! Just wanting to make sure!

7 Susan Voisin August 11, 2012 at 12:42 pm

Gena, I meant add the 5-6 additional olives mentioned at the end of the ingredients list.

8 AnnR October 16, 2012 at 1:00 am

Best hummus ever! I used garlic stuffed olives for an extra garlicky kick. It was so good that I was tempted to lick the food processor blade!

9 MarieRoxanne April 29, 2013 at 1:32 pm

Can’t believe I didn’t see this one! I love olives. I just pinned it to my kitchen and cooking board! Thank you!

10 Ty May 31, 2013 at 9:22 pm