Creole Black-eyed Peas

by on January 8, 2008

Last year, a cold made me feel so miserable that I didn’t even think of having my traditional New Year’s black-eyed peas until a few days into the new year. This year I was determined to have them on New Year’s Day, despite the fact that a sizzling, burning short in our breaker box had knocked out most of the electricity to our all-electric house. Though last year had turned out perfectly fine despite the delay, this year I wasn’t going to take any chances, even if it meant cooking on our little Coleman camp stove.

All right, all right. Actually, I’m about as superstitious as a pair of old boots. And as I’ve mentioned before, I’m not really big on traditions (or maybe I just like to pick and choose the traditions I follow). The truth is, I just like black-eyed peas, the long-simmered kind you make from dried beans, not the canned variety (which are fine for ordinary meals but nothing special), and the beginning of the year reminds me to go ahead and make them. When I was growing up, my mother made black-eyed peas, greens, and corn bread for lunch every New Year’s Day, and carrying on the tradition brings back good memories. Even though I probably turned up my nose at it at the time, these days it’s a meal that epitomizes comfort food to me.

My mother isn’t fond of heavy seasoning (and truly, black-eyed peas are flavorful enough that a minimalist treatment is all they need), so she would probably never think of adding so many ingredients to her peas. But she grew up in Alabama where she learned the art of plain cooking, whereas I grew up in Louisiana and fell in love with embellishments: the “trinity” of onion, bell pepper, and celery and the heat of a little cayenne and hot sauce. In this “Creole” take on black-eyed peas, the seasonings combine in a nice, thick gravy that envelops the peas like a cream sauce and actually isn’t spicy at all, as long as you keep the hot sauce to a minimum. Even my mother would approve.

Creole Black-eyed Peas

1 Jenn September 16, 2009 at 9:09 pm

Susan,

I finally got around to making this and it was wonderful! Especially the day after, when it had all night to sit in the sauce!

As usual with me though, I didn't make it quite to your specifications! I was planning on making it and had in my head that I needed pomegranate molasses. I had to hit up several stores before I finally found it and then realized upon coming home that I had mixed it up with another of your great sounding dishes – Iraqi Seitan and Eggplant Stew (which I will also definitely make!). Since I had spent so much time trying to find that darn molasses I decided to add it anyway!

Not sure if it made a major difference, but the resulting dish was wonderful – even my mom, who declared she doesn't like blacked eyed peas, – came back for more over the ensuing days!

Thanks again for your help on how to make it with previously boiled beans!!

Jenn

2 GiovannaCoraggio December 31, 2009 at 2:15 pm

I LOVE your website!!! ahhhhhhhh

I'm making this tonight for 2010!! whoo hoo!

Thank you for being so awesome!

I make your recipes a lot.

Happy New Years!

3 GiovannaCoraggio December 31, 2009 at 9:28 pm

I just made this and the only alteration I made was the addition of soy italian sausages.. I don't normally use those.. but I thought it would go great. It was fabulous! My mom wants to make it now, I'm sending her the recipe!

4 Carmen January 1, 2010 at 12:11 am

I found your website the other day when I googled "vegetarian black eyed peas." I made this recipe and my family loved it so much that we finished it all so I made it again tonight. I went back and read your site more thoroughly and have now ordered the Eat to Live book. I have been a vegetarian for a couple of years and need to lose a lot of weight, so I was excited to see his diet plan. My kids weren't excited about the idea of giving up cheese but I'm hoping that your recipes will help it be more fun. Happy New Year!

5 jill January 1, 2010 at 9:32 pm

Susan,

I just ate my first meal prepared in a pressure cooker. It was kinda scary at first, and my dog hid in my sons room, but it was worth the trauma. This is a wonderful recipe, thank you! You do a great service to us vegans!

Jill

6 Anonymous January 3, 2010 at 9:22 pm

I made "Creole Black-eyed Peas" for New Years Day lunch. It was WONDERFUL! I served this dish over cornbread instead of rice because I forgot to put in on to boil in time. Great substitution! My "meat eating" out-of-towners even had seconds. Can't wait to make this recipe for my vegan friends. Thanks!

7 dogbaker January 7, 2010 at 6:49 pm

oh my goodness this was simply the best black eyed peas I ever had.
My grandma always made them and I have not had any since she died in 85 '
these are so savory and comforting.
I had to use frozen peas and it was wonderful

8 Samantha P January 8, 2010 at 5:20 am

i didn't have any black-eyed peas but just HAD to see what the flavors tasted like, so i subbed in lentils, haha. It was DELICIOUS! i added even more hot sauce and some lemon juice when i served it, i can't wait for the left-overs!

Your flavors are stupendous. I love reading your recipes they're very inspiring. I'm not vegan or vegetarian (more of a flexatarian) but i do LOVE healthy cooking and i really like the ethnic twists you put on some of your recipes, really fun!

9 The Optimistic Cynic January 28, 2010 at 12:25 am

These were yummy. There were quite a few ingredients to add, but the seasoning was still light. I enjoyed the bean gravy

10 Sheena February 4, 2010 at 9:11 pm

I made this tonight with canned beans and it was so wonderful :) Next time I will use the dried, but didn't prepare ahead of time. Thank you for your awesome recipes Susan. We've had two of your recipes in a row for supper and my family is so happy…they were getting tired of lentil soup variations, lol.

11 Kendra June 21, 2010 at 8:04 pm

Made this recipe today it was really yummy. I love spicy food so I added more hot sauce :)

12 jenna taylor, m.d. December 30, 2010 at 10:43 am

Susan,

This looks so yummy. I keep coming back to your site! YOu have an amazing resource here for people. Would you mind if I included you on my blog roll and featured your blog on my recipes & cooking page? Lmk. Have a wonderful New Years. Kindest Regards, Jenna (www.theplantrx.com)

13 SusanV December 30, 2010 at 10:46 am

Hi Jenna, I’d be honored to be on your blog roll and cooking page. I’m looking forward to taking a closer look at your site.

14 gio December 31, 2010 at 8:21 pm

My second new years in a row making this dish (my mom’s too!) I added 1 tbs Chipotle and 1 tsp paprika. I LOVE it! Thanks and Happy New Year!

15 Susan Barbero January 3, 2011 at 6:01 pm

Made these black eyed peas on New Year’s day and they were loved by all! I loved the pressure cooker option- made it possible to put together quickly! Happy New Year Susan!

16 Leah February 3, 2011 at 6:36 pm

I love this recipe every time I make it. The last two times I’ve added some thinly sliced collard greens (the first time b/c they needed to be used up and this time b/c now I like it this way) at the end of cooking. Another winner, I love this blog! Thanks Susan!

17 Silver Belle May 15, 2011 at 2:18 pm

This is extremely late post but I wanted to say how great it tasted! I made these for our New Year’s traditional BE Peas, I even took a presentation photo :-)
Have to admit that I cheated and used canned, I don’t have a pressure cooker, yet!
But very flavorful and have saved in my recipe box for next year!
Thank you Susan for sharing!

Laurel

18 Melody Kutulas July 1, 2011 at 10:01 pm

Made these tonight and put them over Jasmine rice. Was absolutely delicious and not spicy AT ALL. Made exactly as recipe stated. Do not skimp on the Liquid Smoke, it is the special touch. Husband and 10 year old loved as well, no leftovers!

19 caterina October 25, 2011 at 9:54 am

Hi Susan! I finally got to make this and it was wonderful! Now I have a block of smoked tofu that I need to use, and I was wondering about incorporating it into this dish, especially to increase the smoke-factor, as I do not have Liquid smoke… If I do make this dish again adding the smoked tofu, do you think that I should also increase the overall amount of seasonings? And at what stage should I add the tofu? Thank you so much for all your wonderful recipes!

20 SusanV October 25, 2011 at 9:57 am

I would add the tofu toward the end and check it then to see if it needs more seasonings. The tofu doesn’t have to cook for long because you want it to retain its smokey flavor. Good luck!

21 Clare December 5, 2011 at 3:28 pm

Hi Susan

I’m planning on making this recipe as we love black eyed peas but do you have any ideas what I could use instead of “Liquid Smoke” ? I’ve no idea what that is but I’m certain they don’t sell it here in Cyprus ! Should I just leave it out ?
Thanks
Clare

22 Susan Voisin December 5, 2011 at 3:39 pm

Hi Clare, the Liquid Smoke just adds a smoky flavor. You can leave it out or use another smoky ingredient liked smoked salt or smoked paprika.

23 Beth Zdunich January 1, 2012 at 9:37 am

I absolutely love your recipes, website, and humor. Thank you for creating such a fantastic resource! Sometimes it’s harder to find really flavorful vegan food; you’ve figured it out. I got the opportunity to live in NOLA for a few months, and fell whole-heartedly in love with the food, the city, and the people. Your food tastes like NOLA and all those great memories.

24 Eileen Shaughnessy January 2, 2012 at 8:48 am

Thanks for the delicious recipe! Had it last night with family and friends and it was a great start to the new year.

25 Michelle B January 2, 2012 at 11:56 am

Thank you for helping us Yankees up here outside of Boston enjoy a Southern New Year’s tradition. We loved it! But could you comment again on soaking – or not soaking – dried black-eyed peas? I just assumed they would need to be pre-soaked overnight, which I did. But when I followed the recipe as written, using 5 cups of water, I ended up with a soup, rather than a thick beans + gravy. I decided to add collard greens in the last hour of cooking & ended up with something almost indentical to your Black-Eyed Pea & Collard Soup. It was delicious, but I was wondering if the peas would have absorbed more liquid – and this wouldn’t have been a soup – if I had skipped the pre-soaking. And how would the cooking time differ? I should say that I don’t have a pressure cooker, and I cooked it in a Dutch Oven over medium-low heat for 3 hours.

26 Susan Voisin January 2, 2012 at 12:05 pm

Hmm. That should have worked, and I’m sorry it came out soupy. I’ll have to try the recipe again without using the pressure cooker and see if I need to adjust the water or recommend using unsoaked peas. I’m sure if the peas were not soaked, they would soak up more liquid, so it sounds like I might have erred in advising you to soak the peas.

27 Leah January 2, 2012 at 11:57 am

I love this recipe. I actually made some of the batch into a black eyed pea cake with cornmeal and ground flax seeds and pan fried them. Yummy.

28 Melanie J January 9, 2012 at 9:28 am

I vowed to try black-eyed peas this year, and this was the recipe I chose to try. LOVED IT!!! Another of your recipes that I will make again and again!

29 Azahara February 23, 2012 at 9:42 am

I would like to give this recipe a try, but I keep reading that black-eyed peas do not need to be pre-soaked even if one does not have a pressure cooker. What do you think? I’m confused.

Thanks!

30 Susan Voisin February 23, 2012 at 10:30 am

You can pre-soak them or not. They will cook faster if you pre-soak them, so when you follow a particular recipe, you should follow its instructions about pre-soaking or the timing will be off. In this recipe, you’ll just need to allow extra time for unsoaked peas.

31 Ginger May 14, 2013 at 2:43 pm

Hello, I just made these with the overnight soak without pressure cook and they were awesome. I followed the instructions that said to add only enough water to cover the beans by one inch, sauce was rich and hearty. I did add a little extra hot sauce. I also used canned tomatoe in sauce — I think that added richness. This is my new favorite recipe. Thanks so much.
Ginger Z

32 Darryl April 25, 2012 at 5:42 pm

I just made this recipe for a dinner party. Everyone loved it, thanks!

33 jm July 9, 2012 at 6:29 am

I want to pin on pinterest, but the pic of the actual black eyed peas won’t work … not sure how you have to set up your blog for it to work, but it would be cool to pin it! :) I made this with a few adjustments (I’m not in the US, so I don’t have access to everything) – it seems like it will be delicious!! :)

34 Susan Voisin July 9, 2012 at 9:45 am

Thanks for letting me know! I’ve updated the page so that you should be able to pin the photo. If it doesn’t work right away, try refreshing it in your browser.

35 Jo March July 25, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Hi! I just picked up some FRESH back-eyed peas from he Farmer’s Market. Hw do you recommend I incorporate them into this recipe? I would really love to eat them before the turn in my fridge!

36 Tasha - The Clean Eating Mama July 28, 2012 at 2:04 pm
37 Hannah July 30, 2012 at 6:02 am

Hi I have mostly everything for this recipe apart from the liquid smoke and I don’t think they sell it in my local area. Would it make a huge difference to leave it out?
Thanks

38 Susan Voisin July 30, 2012 at 6:55 am

It gives a smokey flavor, but you probably won’t miss it. If you have some smoked paprika, you could use a little of that instead.

39 Hannah July 30, 2012 at 10:22 am

Ok thanks for the tip! And your quick reply !

40 Jane October 13, 2012 at 1:37 am

I also don’t have any liquid smoke so I’m going to put some cubed smoked tofu in it as well…see how it goes…

41 Carlas October 1, 2012 at 3:28 pm

What would you recommend if I wanted to use a crock pot. As far as cooking time and soaking time? Also I was thinking of adding some ground turkey to it. What do you think?

42 Jane October 13, 2012 at 1:36 am

Thanks this looks like a great recipe. I’m going to make it tonight.

43 VeganNosh November 12, 2012 at 10:13 pm

Christie made this for Mom tonight, who’s just come to live with us, and it was a hit! We had it with the brown/wild rice mix from Bob’s Red Mill and homemade cornbread.

Yep, I’m a lucky woman :)

44 Christina December 30, 2012 at 12:07 pm

I plan on making these however I’m a little confused. The directions say to cook at high pressure for 10 minutes and remove from heat and allow pressure to come down. I have an electric cooker…..how do I remove from heat then add ingredients and continue to cook? Do I cover it again?

Thanks
Chris

45 Susan Voisin December 30, 2012 at 12:37 pm

Chris, just turn your electric cooker completely off after 10 minutes at high pressure. Let it sit there for about 15 minutes. Then, if the pressure is not down, use the quick-release option on your cooker. Remove the lid, add your other ingredients, replace the lid but don’t seal it. Set your cooker to cook for another 15 minutes. Stir it often, and if the peas aren’t tender in 15 minutes, add more time and, if necessary, water. If your cooker has a low setting, you might try using it for the non-pressure cooking time.

46 Christina December 30, 2012 at 12:46 pm

Thank you Susan!!

47 Linda December 30, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Do you cover the beans with a lid when you cook them on the stove?
I always need exact details sorry
Love your your site

48 Susan Voisin December 30, 2012 at 2:14 pm

Yes, they’ll cook faster if you cover them. Sorry not being specific!

49 Thommie December 31, 2012 at 9:38 am

Can this be made in the crockpot? I normally cook my black eye peas in the crockpot. Since I’m not very experienced with my pressure cooker, I was a bit nervous about it.

50 Susan Voisin December 31, 2012 at 9:39 am

Sure, just cook it the same way you usually do using these seasonings.

51 Alex December 31, 2012 at 5:15 pm

Thanks for sharing your recipe. I tried a quicker version inspired by yours. I cooked the black eyed peas for a couple of hours. Then I added salsa at a ratio of one cup to 4 cups of peas. It turned out pretty tasty!

52 Karen Havling January 1, 2013 at 10:53 am

I’ve got these cooking right now….for dinner tonight. The house smells incredible!

53 Laurel January 1, 2013 at 5:01 pm

I made this last year on the stove and it was delicious. Trying a pressure cooker for very first time! Scary! I know the recipe is good but hoping the thing does not blow up in my kitchen!! Lol! Will reply after to let you know how I did for my first pressure cooker dish :-)

54 Jen January 2, 2013 at 1:40 pm

These were delicious! We made them for New Year’s Day, and the leftovers are even better now that I’m eating them for lunch! Great recipe!

55 kensington cooker January 3, 2013 at 12:25 pm

Happy New Year Susan! I hope your black-eyes bring you plenty of luck, as your great recipes have brought luck to our kitchen. For those wondering about making this recipe in the slow cooker, I put all the ingredients in the crockpot just as listed, with these exceptions: Way less hot stuff ( we’re pepper wimps around here). Veg broth (heated up on the stove first) instead of water, a matter of personal preference. And I didn’t add the salt, black pepper, and liquid smoke until the end. After five and a half hours on high it came out delicious. Even better the next day. A squeeze of lime juice over it is yummy too. Kensington Cooker

56 Jaimie January 3, 2013 at 12:41 pm

This was delicious. I sauteed the vegetables until brown in a skillet, added the tomatoes and allowed the liquid to reduce about 10 minutes before adding to the peas in the pressure cooker. I find this extra step adds depth to the flavor when pressure cooking. Also added a bay leaf and a teaspoon of thyme. Happy New Year!

57 Connie January 4, 2013 at 4:19 pm

I made the Creole Black Eye Pea dish using my pressure cooker and even put a timbale of brown rice in the middle just like the photograph. Mmmmmmm New Favorite.

58 sara January 5, 2013 at 5:35 pm

mmmm, mmmm! I just made this and I am on my 2nd bowl! This is my first time trying black eyed peas. They are so fantastic!

59 Tonya January 6, 2013 at 7:02 pm

This dish is tasty! I added chopped kale to it and altered the habanero hot sauce to 1/3 for my mom and kids and then bumped it up on my plate with more. Served jasmine brown rice on it and it will now be a staple in this house! I just love your recipes!

60 Liane Blanco February 26, 2013 at 9:54 pm

These are so delicious! They are the second recipe of yours that I’ve made – the first was red beans and rice, also outstanding!

I am so glad I found your site. I used to be quite a cook, but that was back in my omnivore days. It takes a lot more creativity to make food taste good and be healthy too – you’re a huge help! Thanks so much!

61 liz April 23, 2013 at 5:50 pm

i’m going vegan and your blog is my new favorite. every recipe i google for specific comfort foods brings me here. you are saving my life right now, you have no idea! thank you for posting your recipes.

62 Luscious02 June 3, 2013 at 10:27 am

Hi Susan! I have used your site countless times for inspiration, but I have never made a comment. I made your Creole Black Eyed Peas last night and it turned out perfect. My husband LOVED it and so did I. The only thing I changed was use 1 tsp Creole seasoning, in place of the Cayenne and made it in a soup pot as I don’t have a pressure cooker. Delicious!!! Thank you.

63 Debra June 3, 2013 at 5:17 pm

I just made this and it’s very good, even without the rice. I hope you will indulge me, and you’ve probably already seen it, but I just loved this video of a little boy about why we should not eat animals. So I wanted to share.

64 Dandi July 13, 2013 at 4:02 am

Just discovered your blog as I was googling “black eyed pea recipes”! I cannot wait to try this – it looks delicious!

65 sherri September 11, 2013 at 5:22 pm

This was soooooo good! I didn’t have liquid smoke so I added McCormick’s Mesquite Grill Mates in it’s place. It made it taste like it had meat flavor in it but without the meat! It was Better than liquid smoke would have been IMO because it had other spices as well. I think I added about a teaspoon.

This will be my new “go to” recipe for black eyed peas.

66 Lori September 12, 2013 at 6:56 pm

Hi Susan! I’ve made this dish and loved it on the stove top but this evening is my first ever foray into pressure cooking. My Fagor multi-cooker just arrived at my doorstep! I’m wondering in step 2 if the 15 – 30 minutes, then 5 minutes of cooking time to add additional ingredients is also done with the pressure function on high? That’s probably common sense to most but I felt the need to double check. Can’t wait to cook/eat my way through your list of pressure cooker recipes! Thanks.

67 Natalie November 15, 2013 at 10:56 pm

I just made this for the first time in two years! I had forgotten about this recipe but not sure how. I love this so much!! Every time I make it I can’t wait to make it again! Thankfully my husband doesn’t eat leftovers so I always get some for lunch! Thank you for your blog. Your recipes make it easy to be vegan/vegetarian.

68 Deborah January 3, 2014 at 6:40 pm

I made this for New Years Dat this year – it was a hit!

69 Sharon Herbitter January 3, 2014 at 7:15 pm

Followed your directions exactly and the first words out of my husband’s mouth were, “Outstanding! Another winner!” (And I concur!) I bought a pressure cooker years ago and had never used it until tonight (bad me). I’ll be using it often!

70 Lynn January 5, 2014 at 11:12 am

This was a wonderful recipe and will make again. I am not a fan of tomato chunks so I used tomato paste when I was cooking the vegetables. It was great. My mom, who normally does not care for beans of any kind (she thinks they are all thick and heavy tasting) loved it! Thank you for this.