Vegan Zucchini Frittata

by on June 7, 2011

Vegan Zucchini Frittata

When I was living on my own for the first time, a friend’s mom gave me a battered, 1960′s edition of The Joy of Cooking, and for the next year I taught myself to cook by following its often dated but always instructive recipes. I was particularly fascinated by the chapter called “Eggs, Souffles and Timbales,” and though I don’t remember making any timbales, I learned to cook eggs in most every other way, from poached and over easy to omelets and quiches and simple souffles. After I became vegan, I didn’t so much miss the taste of eggs as I missed putting what I’d learned to use.  Silly me. It took me years to figure out that so many of the egg dishes I loved best, the omelets, quiches, and frittatas, were easy to duplicate using tofu.  This frittata is my most realistic and delicious eggsperiment (sorry!) yet.

I wanted to combine the texture of scrambled tofu–a little bit browned and crumbly–with the cohesiveness of an omelet, so I started this frittata off by browning regular, extra-firm tofu before adding shredded zucchini. While that was cooking, I blended up silken tofu with seasonings and a thickener and then mixed the two together and baked.  The results were amazing, if I say so myself.

One thing: I baked my frittata in a pie pan because I didn’t have a non-stick skillet the right size. If you have a medium-sized (about 9-inch), oven-safe skillet that you trust to be non-stick, you can skip the pie pan and bake right in the skillet. But if you’re not sure about the non-stickness of your skillet, don’t risk it or most of your frittata may wind up stuck to the pan. And that would be a real shame because you’ll want to devour every bite.

Vegan Zucchini Frittata

Vegan Zucchini Frittata

1 A Tablespoon of Liz June 7, 2011 at 9:14 am

This looks amazing! I saw the picture before I saw the title and I thought, this can’t be vegan, it’s got eggs in it. It looks just like an egg fritatta, and I bet it tastes even better.

2 Tom June 7, 2011 at 9:56 am

Susan… you are BRILLIANT!!!! Great recipe. You NEVER cease to amaze me with your creativity and talent.. Thanks for sharing your love and skill

3 rocket and roses vegan kitchen June 7, 2011 at 10:02 am

Ooh this looks so good. I shall be trying it..this weekend for sure.
Thanks once again Susan
~R~

4 Maggie June 7, 2011 at 10:04 am

And here I thought it couldn’t get any better than the crustless baby quiches! I think this will be dinner tonight and lunch tomorrow. Thanks!

5 Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) June 7, 2011 at 10:06 am

I still have yet to try an eggless ‘egg dish’, but have had a few shortcuts saved. I am interested in the smell and flavor of the black salt. So cool! …and I love that you use nutritional yeast as it’s one of my favorite ingredients. Cheesey flavor + low cal/ fat/ sodium… Yes please! Have a great Tues Susan.

6 moonwatcher June 7, 2011 at 10:18 am

This looks great, Susan. The combination of the scramble extra firm tofu and the silken to get the right texture is inspired. I was quite the fritatta maker in my egg eating days, and it looks to me from the pictures that this will fit that bill. So close the instructions for getting it out of the pan reminded me of the sleight of hand it took to do that, and how happy I was when it worked. I will have to try this one out when I have others to share it with, so I DON’T eat the whole thing myself!!

xo

7 Evelyn June 7, 2011 at 10:53 am

This looks so delicious. There are some of my favorite ingredients in this dish and I know I will like it. Can’t wait to give it a try!

8 Karen Faivre June 7, 2011 at 11:08 am

That looks totally awesome. I have been so unhappy with the past few “quiches” I’ve made that I’ve just about given up. I am ready to try, try again. This looks like a winner!

9 Nikki @ The Tolerant Vegan June 7, 2011 at 12:23 pm

This looks fantastic! I’ve really missed frittatas since I went vegan and I can’t wait to try this!

10 Debbie June 7, 2011 at 12:24 pm

Goodie! I am always on the look out for easily made, yummy brunch dishes for company. Most every recipe calls for eggs or egg replacer. I can’t wait to try this one. I can tell it’s a keeper! Thank you.

11 natalie June 7, 2011 at 12:49 pm

I have to be honest, I don’t do a lot of tofu scramble stuff. I’d just as soon go without the egg recipes (I don’t miss them that much). But, boy, looking at this, I’m going to have to revise my opinion and make this for brunch soon! Looks scrumptious! (Or, as my 3-year-old niece would say, “scumpus.”)

12 Sara @ Veggies For Real June 7, 2011 at 1:41 pm

I’ve made a tofu frittata before but hadn’t thought to use extra firm tofu (browned, no less) in addition to the silken tofu. I’ll try that next time. Thanks!

13 Andrea @ Vegvacious June 7, 2011 at 2:10 pm

Hmmm – eggless frittata?! I’ve never even thought of trying a vegan version, but I love frittatas, so I’m definitely going to try this. It looks scrumptious!

14 michelle June 7, 2011 at 7:36 pm

Made this yum….I made with zucchini but it didn’t set as much as should have..I think the zucchini was too liquid after shredded… I was gonna squeeze it out but didn’t….its ok was still eaten :)

15 Brenda June 8, 2011 at 12:21 am

I’m confused about the difference between firm silken and firm not-silken tofu…can you explain? Want to try this but want to make sure I have the right ingredients.

THANKS

16 SusanV June 8, 2011 at 11:18 am

Silken tofu (the kind I use here and recommend) is found in boxes on the shelf (not refrigerated). I buy it in bulk from Amazon– Mori-Nu Tofu, Lite, Silken, Firm, 12.3-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 12) –but you can find them individually in natural food stores, Asian grocery stores, and some supermarkets. It has a silky smooth texture that is perfect for smooth sauces, desserts, and custardy, egglike dishes.

Extra-firm regular tofu will always be in the refrigerator case. It comes in tubs, surrounded in water, and has an expiration date. Its texture is more crumbly and less smooth than silken. Just be sure that the package does not say “silken” because there are some silken tofus that are refrigerated, but they will always be labeled that way.

17 Georgia June 8, 2011 at 8:16 am

Mmmm. This will be coming soon to a kitchen near me. I love tofu frittatas and I made them for breakfast just about every weekend. I love the idea of mixing the textures of soft and firm tofu. Genius!

18 FoodFitnessFreshAir June 8, 2011 at 8:50 am

I have yet to ever make a frittata! I don’t eat a lot of eggs, so when I do, I usually just fry them up and serve them with a sauteed veggie of some kind. I had this delicious frittata the other day though that included all those in season veggies, which I love the idea of! This looks like a good one for when my summer zucchini come in.

19 FoodFitnessFreshAir June 8, 2011 at 8:51 am

I just realized this doesn’t even have eggs in it! Like a suped-up tofu scramble. Even better!

20 happy heidi June 8, 2011 at 10:17 am

Susan – Question for you please. My family doesn’t like zucchini nearly as much as I do – What do you think would substitute best for the zuc?

Thanks!
Heidi

21 SusanV June 8, 2011 at 11:13 am

I think broccoli or spinach would be good. Really, any veg your family will eat could work its way into this frittata. Have fun!

22 Janina June 8, 2011 at 1:47 pm

I made it! It´s amazing. I did not know about the eggy aroma of black salt. Incredible!

23 AikoVenus June 8, 2011 at 3:19 pm

That looks absolutely beautiful – could this be done with just firm tofu? That’s all I normally have in the fridge if I’m not baking a cheezecake or doing something special for my blog.

24 Timmie June 8, 2011 at 3:11 pm

Thanks for the great recipe SUSANV! I tried combining this with the Flu-Buster Clementine Creamsicle Smoothie found in here: http://www.fourgreensteps.com/community/recipes/60/2783
It was heaaaaven! These two together are delicious and most importantly, VERY healthy!

25 michelle June 8, 2011 at 4:41 pm

The lite silken doesn’t come in extra firm like the recipe states. Only firm

26 SusanV June 8, 2011 at 4:47 pm

It should say lite or extra-firm silken tofu. I’ll make sure to change it when I get back to my main computer. It doesn’t really matter whether it’s firm or extra-firm, only that it is silken and preferably not soft.

27 Mel June 8, 2011 at 6:53 pm

This sounds lovely and would suit my palate more than a chickpea flour based frittata as I find the besan overpowers the flavour of the frittata. Will definitely try this!

I adore your ridiculously easy lentil stew – just posted about it last night!

28 Morgan June 8, 2011 at 8:09 pm

This looks super yummy! I can’t wait to try it out. Thank you for another great recipe!!!!

29 Suzanne June 8, 2011 at 11:07 pm

What a great dish! I can’t wait to try it!

30 Cassie June 10, 2011 at 12:24 pm

This fritatta looks delicious and seriously like eggs! I bet it would be really amazing with potatoes, peppers and onions.

31 Maya (The Keen Kitchen) June 10, 2011 at 1:38 pm

What an eggstravagantly delicious looking recipe! I was never a huge egg fan, but I sure love me some tofu! Yum!

32 DeborahInLA June 10, 2011 at 2:42 pm

I love how I feel when I follow a vegan, alkaline diet with minimal nightshades (whew!) but don’t have a lot of time to cook, and so usually end up eating the same rotation of healthy simple meals. I’d love to see some recipes that only take 5 minutes of prep. time — I realize that’s a tall order. Thank you!

33 Mckinley June 10, 2011 at 7:30 pm

Hi Susan!

This looks amazing. Is there a way to sub the tofu? I have a soy allergy.
Thanks for all your amazing recipes!

34 SusanV June 10, 2011 at 8:22 pm

I don’t have a substitute for the tofu in this because it’s pretty much all tofu, but there are omelets that are made from chickpea flour, so you might try searching for one of those and adapting it to use zucchini.

35 maesti June 11, 2011 at 11:09 am

Just finished supper – non vegan husband had seconds! Very tasty he said – and put it on the keeper list :). And this is a person who does not like zucchini (called courgettes here in South Africa – and ours are tiny. I used 16 to make the 12 ounces called for in the recipe!).

36 Katie June 11, 2011 at 1:44 pm

This is supper tonight. It looks delish! A question: I see that it is marked CORE. What is that? I’m familiar with Dr. Fuhrman’s Eat to Live and the work of Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn (Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease) and his firefighter/triathlete son Rip (Engine 2 Diet). But don’t know about CORE.
By the way, I HIGHLY recommend everyone see the movie Forks Over Knives which is in movie theaters now. (http://forksoverknives.com/) It features Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn and his son Rip (Engine 2 Diet) along with Dr. T. Colin Campbell of The China Study. It is really well done and very inspiring. It’s gotten me back on track and back to Susan’s fantastic FF Vegan website!

37 SusanV June 11, 2011 at 3:51 pm

Katie, CORE is an old Weight Watchers plan that has since been renamed. I just use the label because a few people still do the plan.

38 Katie June 12, 2011 at 12:24 am

Oh, of course! I’m a lapsed lifetimer and remember Core. Thanks, Susan. Yes, it did work really well for some people. I was better with the discipline of points…am even better now as a Fuhrman-Esselstyn vegan. No points counting necessary anymore. :)

39 Kylie June 12, 2011 at 9:17 am

This was easy and tasted great. Exactly like eggs!! Thanks for sharing!

40 Mrsflex June 12, 2011 at 5:20 pm

Made this a few days ago and it came out great. I added cooked mushrooms and 1 serving of diced smoked tofu that I needed to use up. It’s amazing how un-vegan it tasted. It’s really good warm or cold. Today I put a slice in a wrap with some salsa for a delicious breakfast burritto. Thanks!

41 Megan June 13, 2011 at 10:14 am

This looks wonderful! I also miss the versatility of using eggs. However, I am allergic to soy (and gluten). Could you suggest anything I could use to make a quiche or frittata? Thank you so much!!

42 Megan June 13, 2011 at 10:16 am

I’m sorry, I didn’t see that this question was already asked.

43 Gena June 14, 2011 at 2:11 pm

So unbelievably authentic! wonderful recipe and photo, Susan.

44 Debbie June 15, 2011 at 2:40 am

I so love frittatas. They just look and taste “healthy”. Can’t wait to try this recipe.

45 Evelyn June 15, 2011 at 3:29 pm

Wow… this looks AMAZING!! So hungry now. I love all your posts… so informative and great pics! :)

46 die Küchenfee June 15, 2011 at 4:42 pm

I totally agree with my pre-poster. The frittata just looks amazing and I feel the strong desire to try your recipe at once. I tried some frittatas myself but I have to admit that yours defintely at least looks better. Of course I will let you know how it comes out. Kind regards…

47 Kimberly June 17, 2011 at 6:45 pm

Susan – this recipe tastes great! I was skeptical, but it really turned out well. I used some fresh asparagus. One hint: definitely drain the firm tofu first, and let it set a bit before turning it over. Thanks!!

48 Lex June 18, 2011 at 7:53 pm

You’ve got to get past that non stick spray! There are like 80 grams of fat per can. Three cans a year and you’ve glued a pound of fat on. Amazing recipe, though!!

49 SusanV June 18, 2011 at 8:49 pm

It’s an amazing recipe that won’t be edible if it’s stuck to the sides of the pan. A can of non-stick spray can last a lot longer than a year if you use it sparingly, and the fat is even lower if you wipe it off before you use the pan.

50 Ommyv June 19, 2011 at 9:25 pm

Isn’t tahini an oil? Then it’s really not fat-free??? Following Dr. Esselstyn’s No oil plant based diet. Any suggestions?

51 SusanV June 19, 2011 at 9:47 pm

The tahini just adds a little flavor. You can leave it out.

P.S. Tahini is a nut butter, not an oil, but yes, it is high in fat. I differentiate between naturally occurring fats and processed oils, so some of my recipes have nuts and seeds, but you can usually leave them out with no ill effects.

52 Ashley June 19, 2011 at 10:00 pm

This is a really wonderful recipe! I just made it for fathers day and it turned out so wonderfully/ was entirely gobbled up! I didn’t have any tahini on hand so I just added a bit of hummus. Thanks for the great recipe, I will definitely be making it again!

53 Kate M June 20, 2011 at 11:30 am

Just made this last night and it was amazing! My family is Italian and we have a family recipe that incorporates spaghetti into a frittata recipe, in your experice is it possible to use the same base and add different ingredients?

54 SusanV June 20, 2011 at 1:02 pm

I’m glad your family liked it. I think that as long as you don’t add too much, you should be able to incorporate spaghetti or any other ingredient. Have fun!

55 Katie B. June 20, 2011 at 5:43 pm

I doubled it and must have added too much nutritional yeast. We still liked it and I’m sure we will love it more next time!

56 sonya June 23, 2011 at 5:58 pm

Just made this and it was wonderful! I used 3/4 of a block of superfirm tofu (because that is how much was in the fridge). I didn’t have zucchini so i substituted yellow squash and arranged a few mushroom and tomato slices on the bottom to make it pretty. It held up well in the lunch box the next day too. This is definitely going into regular rotation at my house.
I used the parchment paper as directed but I wonder, if I use my Misto, do I need the paper?

57 Healthy&Homemade June 24, 2011 at 2:00 pm

It’s crazy how much this looks like a frittata with EGSS! I love tofu, it sounds delicious.

58 Karen Faivre June 25, 2011 at 4:23 pm

Susan, I made this frittata and it totally rocked! And then I made a wrap with the leftovers. Yummy!

59 Ian June 26, 2011 at 11:49 am

I just had a vegan brunch and served this. There were no vegans in attendance and only one vegetarian. Everyone loved it. One person said after eating it, “Wait! There’s no eggs in this!?” And another said “This tastes like eggs, what did you put in it to make it taste like eggs?”
Thanks for the great recipe!

60 Melissa June 26, 2011 at 7:28 pm

This looks amazing! I miss some of these classic Italian style dishes since becoming a vegan. I’ve been using nutritional yeast for all of my Italian cheese needs though! I will really need to try to make this (or have my mom try to make it) Thanks so much :)

61 Fiona June 30, 2011 at 4:59 pm

Overall, my family and I really liked the flavor of this frittata. The texture was still a bit soggy for us though. I cooked it for 22 minutes, so next time I would try a bit longer and it will probably stiffen up a bit. However, I would like to point out to other readers that this recipe is really low in calories, even for people like my Mum and I, who are on Weight Watchers. (This was 3 points for 1/4 of the frittata, and we usually spend about 10 points on the dinner meal.) So while it would be a perfect recipe for someone who wants something light or doesn’t have many points/calories left but still wants to feel like they are eating a full dinner, it wasn’t really enough for even my Mum and I on Weight Watchers, let alone my fiance and my Dad, who do physical work most of the day. They had to majorly supplement the dinner with other foods. It’s not a criticism of the recipe, just to let others know that they should consider preparing something along with this recipe unless they want something really light.

62 SusanV June 30, 2011 at 5:01 pm

That’s a good point, Fiona. I always serve this with plenty of side dishes like hash browns, toast, and other vegetables. It is indeed very light.

63 Eleana July 6, 2011 at 7:05 pm

Hi, this recipe looks wonderful! I don’t usually eat began but my son is allergic to eggs so this is perfect for our family. I am guessing from some comments that the addition of the nutritional yeast gives a cheesy flavor? Is that the only reason for that ingredient it does it do something else? I guess I’m asking, can I leave it out or put real cheese instead? Thanks. I’m looking forward to exploring your blog & finding more great stuff!

64 Eleana July 6, 2011 at 7:06 pm

Sorry for the typos. I’m on my phone.

65 SusanV July 6, 2011 at 8:43 pm

I haven’t tried it with cheese instead of nutritional yeast, so I can’t say for sure, but my fear is that it may throw off the moisture balance and cause it not to firm up. Nut. yeast is a flavor enhancer, and it’s different than actual cheese. Give it a try–you may find you like it!

66 Andria July 6, 2011 at 10:46 pm

This looks amazing – how well does it hold up as left overs? I can understand if you’ve never made it to the leftovers stage, but thought i’d ask :)

67 SusanV July 6, 2011 at 11:16 pm

Sorry–we always eat every bite. But I have it on good authority that they hold well and even taste good cold.

68 Ruth July 8, 2011 at 4:04 pm

Hi, I just found your beautiful and delicious looking blog. Wow, talk about a ton of cooking here! Thanks for sharing it all.
In loving appreciation
Ruth from Texas

69 m July 12, 2011 at 9:25 am

I recently gave up eggs and this looks really good; however, silken tofu grosses me out so bad. i like tofu but typically buy the firm or extra firm…the soft texture of the other just does not work for me. could i make this w/o it? or a substitute?

thanks – great blog

70 Bada July 20, 2011 at 5:00 am

I made this tonight, I was really amazed at how frittata-like it was as so was my omni husband, he even said he can’t wait to take it to work tomorrow to show all his mates an eggless frittata!!
You’re really very clever!

71 Get Skinny, Go Vegan. August 5, 2011 at 9:09 am

What is it about the black salt that gives the eggy quality??

72 SusanV August 5, 2011 at 9:16 am

It’s the sulfur content, which can actually taste bad if you add too much–like rotten eggs!

73 annie August 10, 2011 at 12:14 am

I can’t wait to try the frittata!! It looks gorgeous and so delicious. MMM!

74 Laina August 10, 2011 at 4:53 pm

Wow! Made this today and absolutely love it. It will be a top ten easily. I didn’t have a shallot so I used onion powder……..while I was at it I added some garlic powder as well. I also added a little green bell pepper and mushrooms. Next time I’ll use red for the color contrast.

Instead of salt, I sprayed some braggs liquid aminos for a little sodium flavor. Once it was done I flipped the pie plate over and peeled off the parchment paper.

I wanted to mention that the best way to peel the paper off is the same way you’d peel those abnoxious price stickers off of glassware. Start in one section and go slowly using a knife to help scrape the frittata away from the parchment paper. That’s how I did it and it worked perfectly.

Also, I hated using only half of the tofu block. I made some of the Creamy Zucchini and Basil Soup of yours today as well, so I cubed the other half of the tofu and added it to the soup. No waste. I’m sure I would have left it in the fridge and it would have gone bad before I got to it. I’m taking this camping with me. I hope it tastes good after it’s been refrigerated. I guess I’ll find out soon enough. :)

Thanks, Susan, for all the wonderful recipes you share with us. You are so appreciated!!!

75 eva @5fruitsNveggies August 11, 2011 at 12:45 pm

made this last night with some summer squash we had from my MIL’s garden….

it was lovely!

i took your advice in making sure my zucchini mixture was dry so the frittata would set…so i took out the widest saute pan out to increase surface area of evaporation of steam…..i did use a ton more zuccchini and it worked out just fine….and in anticipation of a watery mess (which i usually somehow end up with) i opted out of adding the water/extra liquids in the skilken tofu blended mixture because silken tofu is naturally so moist…i did add more nutritional yeast (but i personally love the flavor of the stuff)….i did not use the black salt—but now looking forward to finding some based on the flavor it will add…

me and the kids loved this recipe–it’s going into the keeper files..i am looking forward to using this recipe as a base for adding other veggies like broccili!

76 Shannon August 17, 2011 at 1:41 pm

I made this for dinner last night and though it was terrific! So satisfying and yummy! Thank you for this recipe.

77 Khlarisse August 22, 2011 at 7:40 am

Susan this was delicious! Thanks for the recipe. I have a few questions though: how much black salt is too much? This is my first time cooking with it and I literally put a pinch in and got an initial “eggy” smell but couldn’t taste or smell it after it was all cooked. Also the sides of the frittata browned nicely (without parchment) but the whole thing for me wasn’t as firm as I wanted and it stuck to the parchment paper even when I carefully peeled it back. Should I have just left it in the oven longer? I was afraid that would’ve made the sides burn. Will definitely try again!

78 SusanV August 22, 2011 at 7:56 am

The black salt is definitely a “to taste” thing. I can’t stand more than a pinch of it, but I’ve seen other people’s recipes where they measure it by the quarter teaspoon. If you like a more pronounced flavor, go for it!

It sounds like you didn’t give it quite enough time if it wasn’t firm enough, but next time you might try increasing the starch a little just to make sure that didn’t cause the problem. The sticking parchment paper sounds normal. I have to peel it back very slowly and carefully–I think there’s a previous comment where someone describes exactly how she does that.

79 mrsf August 22, 2011 at 1:29 pm

I can’t believe this isn’t made with eggs…you are making this so easy to transition from vegetarian to vegan…would love to see your holiday menu’s as thanksgiving is approaching and would like to get ideas early to be as vegan as possible that day. Keep it coming and thank you! : D

80 Lisa September 3, 2011 at 11:50 pm

Hi Susan, this was delicious (and will be again for lunch tomorrow)! I have tried so many vegan frittata recipes and have been disappointed each time , but this recipe is a keeper! Thank you :)

81 Lianne95519 September 8, 2011 at 4:01 pm

Thanks for a very clever dish. Mine worked great except the zucchini was bitter. I used a medium sized one and shred it in my food processor. Is that just to be expected sometimes or did I miss something. Can you suggest another veggie? Otherwise it was beautiful and I ate it anyway.
Thanks for your help and I am a new fan of this site. I have been Vegan for almost 2 months. You have helped me make the switch with ease.
Thanks
Lianne

82 SusanV September 8, 2011 at 5:16 pm

Hi Lianne, Congrats on making the switch! I think you must have gotten a bad zucchini. They’re usually very mild, but the small ones are usually better so maybe using 2 of them would work. Just about any veggie you can shred will work, especially fast-cooking ones ones like zucchini. Also, spinach would make a great frittata.

83 Christine September 22, 2011 at 4:03 pm

This recipe was so delicious! I’m making it again this weekend. Thank you.

84 Gaby October 10, 2011 at 2:27 pm

This is sooooooooo delicious! Thank you for sharing these AMAZING recipes. I have discovered I love cooking thanks to you :)

85 PJD October 12, 2011 at 1:03 pm

This was stupid delicious. I didn’t have any black salt but it still worked really well! It’s especially tasty the next day.

86 Kat Snyer October 19, 2011 at 1:56 pm

About how many cups is 10-12 oz. of shredded zucchini? I have three GIGANTIC zucchinis from the garden (each one is about two feet long) so I have been combing the Interwebs for zucchini-laced items to cook. This looks fabulous btw can’t wait to try it!

87 SusanV October 19, 2011 at 2:45 pm

It will probably only take a third of one of your giant zucchini’s–whatever looks close to a medium zucchini.

88 trace January 21, 2012 at 10:25 am

i’ve made this twice now for my carnivorous family and my husband actually prefers it over the egg frittatas i used to make. if you knew my husband your jaw would be on the floor. anyway – thanks for sharing w all of us your great recipes and tips. :)

89 Marsha February 6, 2012 at 5:25 pm

This recipe looks delicious, but my daughter can’t digest corn. Any suggestions for a cornstarch substitute? Do you think flour would work as well?

90 Susan Voisin February 6, 2012 at 6:12 pm

You can use the same amount of potato starch. I haven’t tried it with flour. Good luck!

91 Ninufar April 2, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Of course go w/what Susan V recommends first — I just wanna add that arrowroot starch and tapioca starch can serve some of the same functions.

92 Vibeke February 9, 2012 at 6:50 pm

Oh Susan, this is so good! My clients love it too!

93 Kristin April 2, 2012 at 10:54 am

Ok, the frittata looks AMAZING. Even though I’m still fearing tofu at this point. Had a horrible tofu experience once and I just can’t bring myself to play around with it….

But what I’m mostly curious about is WHAT are you drinking? It looks amazing!

94 Susan Voisin April 2, 2012 at 11:04 am

It’s been a while, and I’m afraid I don’t remember what the drink was! But it was definitely just a 100% juice or juice blend that I buy for my daughter.

And you should definitely give tofu another try!

95 Kristy @ Tips on Healthy Living April 11, 2012 at 1:28 pm

My friend made this for Easter brunch and I made her share the recipe. It is AMAZING! Truly gone in 60 seconds, because everyone had seconds immediately. Thanks for a great frittata alternative.

96 Lyz May 6, 2012 at 7:21 am

I made this today and was disappointed after all the great comments, so I’m thinking I must have botched it somehow. It didn’t set up well even though I left it in the oven for the maximum recommended time – I should have drained my zuchini shreds I think before putting them in the pan. And I didn’t have any black salt, so no eggy flavor, and in fact I found it really didn’t have much flavor at all. It looks really gorgeous, though, so I want to give it another try. Next time I will be sure to drain everything really well, try spinach instead of zuchini, and increase the spices. I’ll let you know how it turns out!

97 nicoleliston May 9, 2012 at 7:27 am

My husband loooooves eggs. Like reallly really loves them. He used to eat an egg sandwich every morning. Since going vegan its probably what we both miss the most. I set my alarm a little early this morning and hoped I would actually get up to spend a little extra time on breakfast. Im so happy I did! We loved this! We both ate our piece on top of toast like we used to with our eggs. Thank you so much for the great recipe!

98 Lisa A. June 19, 2012 at 2:06 pm

Just wanted to stop by and say that since I saw this recipe on your blog, I have made it at least 10 times. My husband loves it!

99 Leigh-Anne October 15, 2012 at 6:54 pm

Hi Susan! I’m excited to try this fritatta! Do you think I can leave out the tahini, turmeric, and nutritional yeast? I know it would alter the flavor but would it change the consistency? I just don’t typically like those ingredients. When I make tofu scramble I usually just saute some onions and veggies, brown extra-firm tofu, and sprinkle Herbamare (love that stuff). Could I just make the frittata with those ingredients and add the cornstarch and silken tofu?

100 Susan Voisin October 15, 2012 at 7:00 pm

Sure, the only thing that might affect the consistency is the nutritional yeast, so you could just add a little more cornstarch. I hope it works out!

101 Laina November 19, 2012 at 1:15 pm

I made this again (2 of them) just out of the oven. Peeling back the parchment paper reminded me of the time I prepared this without completely following the directions.

I was sautéing the onion (in place of shallots) and preparing some of the other ingredients and realized I was out of parchment paper. So I sprayed and sprayed the pie plates really, really well thinking they’d turn out fine. Well they didn’t; they stuck to the plate like super glue. ;) So in case anyone here thinks like me and wants to try that, I’d recommend you don’t and instead, wait until you get to the store. Unless you have non-stick pans you can use.

I also wanted to share that I added to the ingredient list some red bell pepper and mushrooms. I questioned myself because I didn’t want to have the frittata so thick and dry with little sauce, but it came out great with plenty of moisture and it is oh-so-delicious!

The frittata is one of my most favorite dishes and I eat it for breakfast, lunch or supper. Next time I’m going to add maybe some broccoli in place of the zucchini and maybe some cut-up frozen artichoke hearts.

Another thought is I want to try some steamed kale in place of the zucchini. One of my favorite combinations I might do will be in place of the tofu (not the silken tofu) I may try some cooked potato and add some frozen green chili. I live in NM so we have frozen green chili year round. Red too! :)

Thanks so much for this delicious recipe. I love the fact that it’s so easy and versatile. You make eating heathy so tastefully delicious!!!

Laina :)

102 Vegease February 10, 2013 at 3:27 pm

I made this today for my Vegan Brunch Club with some modifications – sun dried tomato and mushrooms instead of the zucchini – it was delicious. I’m hope you don’t mind me sharing the recipe with them, with the appropriate credit.

I had been eyeing this recipe for a while and am so glad I made it. I didn’t follow your instructions on the parchment paper but I will next time – that didn’t affect the taste though….Delicious! Thanks for your recipe.

103 Maureen April 7, 2013 at 6:36 am

love it!

104 Andrea @ Vibrant Wellness Journal May 6, 2013 at 4:19 pm

I just made a broccoli version of this for my cooking class and it was amazing. Thanks for the inspiration!

105 Laina February 12, 2014 at 11:26 am

I’m making this again today, but I don’t have tahini. Do you think raw sesame seeds will work okay if I blend them first?

Thanks!

106 Susan Voisin February 12, 2014 at 11:30 am

Yes, if you think your blender can pulverize them, it should work. I’ve used sesame seeds instead of tahini in hummus when I make it in my Vitamix, and it comes out beautifully.

107 Laina February 12, 2014 at 12:47 pm

Thanks, Susan! I used my food processor and learned a lesson. I added my liquid and then the seeds and then everything else.

A few of them were stuck underneath the blade when I poured the tofu sauce into the zucchini pan. Next time I’ll add them at the end. I think the liquid and with them on the bottom caused them to get stuck, but it looks like the rest of the sauce is smooth as silk.

It’s in the oven now, can’t wait! I absolutely love this recipe. It’s one of my favorites. :)

108 Imaan May 18, 2014 at 12:04 am

This looked so good but I must have done something wrong- the taste of the tofu (which admittedly we don’t eat much of) was overpowering.

109 Tracy July 8, 2014 at 9:49 am

Susan, my wife and I loved this frittata! I, like many others, have had a hard time finding a good quiche recipe as well. So I decided to use your frittata filling and put it in a pie crust as well. I did add a few additional items when I made the quiche. Now my wife is begging me to make another one. I’m also going to try the Monterey Frittata. Love your recipes and can’t wait to try more!