Hummus in the Blender

by on March 12, 2012

Blender Hummus

Always travel with hummus. That’s my advice to new vegans and to anyone trying to eat healthy on the road. Having hummus in a small cooler saved us last month when my family went to New Orleans for Mardi Gras. With the streets and streetcars closed for parades, we were limited to restaurants we could walk to, and because it was Mardi Gras, all of the vegan-friendly ones that were close enough were closed. So we ate hummus–hummus on carrots, hummus on crackers, hummus on bread. The best meal we had was hummus on a Subway Veggie sandwich; after dry bread and crackers, a sandwich with all those veggies tasted like something from a 4-star restaurant, I kid you not.

The night before my family goes on any trip, you’ll find me in the kitchen making this hummus, which takes about 5 minutes in a high-powered blender. Up until a few years ago, I always used my food processor to make it, but once I tried the silky smooth hummus that a Vitamix produces, I’ve never gone back to the processor. The recipe is basically the same; the blender version just uses more liquid to get the blades moving, but somehow it comes out as thick as the food processor version. And the best part: if you want, you can use whole sesame seeds instead of tahini. The blender grinds them as it makes the hummus.

Hummus in the Blender

Hummus in the Vitamix

If you don’t have a high-speed blender, you can make my basic hummus in a food processor. Start by chopping the garlic first, and use only 1/4 cup of liquid. Bryanna Clark Grogan says that you can get silky smooth hummus from a food processor if you start with warm chickpeas, so if you cook your own beans, I recommend that.

I like to make a a mildly-seasoned hummus for general use (and my daughter’s taste), and then scoop out half of it, add additional seasonings to the Vitamix, and blend. Since the seasonings I like to add are usually spicy, I garnish the “doctored” hummus with slices of jalapeno to let my family know which container holds the fiery hummus. The amounts of seasoning in the recipe below are conservative, so feel free to add more to taste.

P.S. I’m on the road again as I write this, so it may take me a little time to approve and respond to your comments. Rest assured that I have a big tub of hummus in the ice chest!

Hummus

1 Vibeke March 12, 2012 at 7:43 am

OH Susan!!! This sounds great! I’m going to make it today!

2 Mat January 8, 2014 at 4:22 pm

Great advice Susan. Whenever I travel, hummus is one of my go to foods.

The funny thing is, whenever I need a quality starch based vegan food rich in calories, people always look at me weird when I ask for a baked potato or brown rice. When I ask for hummus though, they smile right away and tell me they can bring some right out. Food staples in the USA are unknown by most people and can not be served, but a trendy Middle Eastern dish is always on the menu.

Weirdest place I ever ended up finding hummus targeted at vegans was at a Diamondbacks baseball game in Phoenix, Arizona. They gave me a little menu so I could order food from my seat. Turns out they offered two vegan items. One was a pretzel, the other was hummus and veggies. I ended up getting the hummus, it was okay but insanely expensive.

Lately though, I have found it possible to travel with a high speed blender when I am just driving around places outside my hometown. With the newest NutriBullet model, I can actually make the silky smooth hummus comparable to a Vitamix. I wrote a full review on the blender at my blog, Vegan Kitchen Appliances http://www.vegankitchenappliances.com/2014/01/nutribullet-pro-900-series-review.html.

Being able to make hummus on the road is always easy. Now, my hummus is fat free, so no tahini. But, I could get all the ingredients I need at a grocery store if I were not to bring them along.

In most cases if you are just traveling for a day or less, I would say bring premade hummus. If you are traveling by car and will be staying somewhere with an electric outlet, bring along the blender. Make some quick foods easily and do not be forced to compromise on the vegan diet.

3 Leonora March 12, 2012 at 7:54 am

OMG! I love hummus! This looks awesome.

4 janet @ taste space March 12, 2012 at 8:03 am

Hummus is definitely my go-to travelling snack. Your recipe looks similar to my favourite recipe. I will have to try your trick of adding water to make it in the Vitamix because I still use the food processor so I can scoop out all the hummus (I find it difficult to get the thicker pastes out of the Vitamix).

5 Susan Voisin March 12, 2012 at 8:09 am

Janet, yes that’s the only problem with using the Vitamix to make hummus. I never can get every drop out, and I had wasting it!

6 Heather @ Better With Veggies March 12, 2012 at 8:11 am

Love homemade hummus – once I realized how easy it was, I can’t buy the prepackaged stuff anymore. I will admit that I only remember to save the liquid from the can about half the time, it’s so normal to drain and rinse. :)

7 susan March 12, 2012 at 8:15 am

if you leave out the tahini, it’ll be totally fat free….i usually add roasted red pepper instead.

8 Katie Loss March 12, 2012 at 1:30 pm

Susan, thanks for this great tip to make your hummus fat free. I was wondering what changes I should make to have it fat free and still flavorful since tahini/sesame seeds are oh-so-tasty. Roasted red pepper sounds wonderful. I think you must have been reading my mind today. I have a batch of garbanzos soaking which I’ll be cooking later today and had just sat down to look for hummus recipes when your blog alert popped up in my inbox. I love cooking my own beans and then using the bean broth in soups, etc. They are so very flavorful, especially when you find a favorite source for heirloom beans. Thanks for all of your fantastic recipes!

9 Callie March 12, 2012 at 9:53 am

Why am I just now discovering your blog!? WTF ;)

Ok, the last time I made hummus in my VitaMix, It turned off – ever since then, I’ve been scared to death I’m gonna burn it out. So, I’ve done the opposite – always used my vitamix and am now using my food processor. It’s probably an error on liquid, but I have a very specific recipe I follow and never want to add more than what I’ve found to work best flavor wise, ha. Maybe, just maybe, I’ll have to give the blender another chance!

10 Mindy January 7, 2014 at 2:30 pm

Hey! This post is really old, but my dad made our Vitamix turn off too. Just make sure to only keep it on the low setting as little as you need to. The machine’s fan only comes on when it’s set to high. :)

11 shirley March 12, 2012 at 9:53 am

Is there anything I can substitute for the tahini?I know you mentioned sesame seeds but I doubt my food processor would grind them sufficiently (don’t have a Vitamix – although I would like one). Has anyone tried it without the tahini? I guess I could try that.

12 Susan Voisin March 12, 2012 at 10:42 am

Some people like peanut butter instead of tahini. I’m not one of them, unfortunately, but you might give it a try.

13 clare March 12, 2012 at 11:13 am

I buy “no added fat tahini” to use when I make this which is every week as we love it too. I had the same problem getting it out of the blender (as we like the consistency quite thick) so I now make it using a large bowl and a hand held immersion blender which zaps it perfectly and no waste !

14 Holly @ My Plant Based Family March 12, 2012 at 12:23 pm

I’ve made it without tahini. It isn’t as creamy but it’s nice to have a lower fat option occasionally. I don’t notice a big taste difference but I don’t use a lot of tahini in my regular batch.

15 janet @ taste space March 12, 2012 at 1:03 pm

I like this tahini-less peanut butter hummus: http://tastespace.wordpress.com/2010/02/27/peanut-butter-hummus/

16 Ninufar March 13, 2012 at 12:35 am

If you buy a jar of tahini and pour off the oil that’s separated up top, right there you’ve got reduced-fat tahini! Needs a little coaxing to get it out of the jar, but so worth it. Even if you cut Susan V’s (already very trimmed) amount in half, it balances out the acid-y tastes and does add some minerals. YMMV.

17 Jerry March 15, 2012 at 2:11 pm

Before we bought our Vitamix, we made hummus in our regular blender. At first we used tahini, but found that sesame seeds worked great if we ground them first in a coffee grinder. We tried not pre-grinding them, but as you suspect would happen with your food processor, our blender did not grind them well enough. The hummus was still edible, but a little gritty. Did I mention that I love our Vitamix? :-)

18 April Lockhart April 11, 2013 at 10:33 pm

I use almond butter!! :D

19 Vicky C. March 12, 2012 at 10:28 am

Thank you!

20 Katherine Stewart March 12, 2012 at 10:31 am

Hummus out of a vita mix is so dreamy!! I love adding a sweet potato and a roasted red pepper….YUM! We will eat on a st. alvarado bagel with greens….absolutely the best! I want to make more of a herb one this week…so that’s what I will be experimenting with!

21 Jess Miller March 12, 2012 at 12:21 pm

I agree that home-made hummus is a necessity for a plant-based diet, especially when traveling. To keep it healthier, I would leave out the fat-laden tahini. For more flavor, I would substitute red-wine vinegar and lime juice, in place of the water and lemon juice. I also like to add roasted red peppers.

22 Gwen Z March 12, 2012 at 12:50 pm

This sounded so easy and yummy that I grabbed my VitaMix and garbanzos and made a batch – super yummy! I did the basic recipe but will be trying some variations next time. The added liquid really helped.

23 Rebecca March 12, 2012 at 1:38 pm

How long does the hummus last when kept in a containor in the fridge?

24 Maureen Cram March 13, 2012 at 9:02 am

I always make a double batch and freeze half of it. It freezes very well. When you thaw it out give it a good stir! If you keep it in the fridge then I would say around five days.

25 Suzanne March 12, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Just made this with my 3 year old twins (they love adding things to the vitamix and turning it on) And it was a huge hit! I added jalapenos and a bit of hot sauce to mine, made for great grilled hummus sandwiches!

26 brian March 12, 2012 at 3:23 pm

I have been making this once or twice a month and each batch is a little different. I leave out the tahini to keep it fat-free and find that a little tamari or soy sauce instead of salt replaces the nutty flavor from the tahini nicely. I add cilantro or spinach to get a green batch, carrots or yellow/red peppers for orange color.

27 Verna Peters March 12, 2012 at 3:59 pm

I am always excited to see what new recipe you have for us when I see your website pop into my inbox. Thank you so much for sharing your recipes with us. I appreciate having the nutrition information with the recipes. Those of us who want to cut down on the fat in the hummus recipe might try using a smaller amount of sesame seeds.

28 JB March 12, 2012 at 5:38 pm

Looks great! What is the serving size? Thanks

29 Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner March 12, 2012 at 8:24 pm

I love making hummus in a blender (especially my BlendTec). It does all of the hard work for me and all I really have to do is add all of the ingredients. :)

30 Ninufar March 13, 2012 at 12:30 am

My blender doesn’t work, so I currently make my hummus with a potato masher.

It won’t take in as much water (or at least I don’t use nearly that much, more like 1/4 cup), but the hummus comes out fine, & I get an upper-body workout. (No really it’s easy!)

I also tend to use roasted rather than raw garlic (partly bc I usually eat this hummus for lunch and then go teach again afterwards), and that’s really easy to mix in with the masher.

Safe travels!

31 web hosting hub March 13, 2012 at 7:09 am

Thanks for the recipe. I think today I’ll try to prepare Hummus. It looks pretty good.

32 Warwick March 13, 2012 at 7:23 am

Thank you Susan, nice one!
For anyone who doesn’t do garlic, just triple the amount of Cumin for the same effect.
Namaste’, Warwick

33 Vicki Lovell March 13, 2012 at 7:39 am

Thanks so much, although I went Vegan late last year I am finding it difficult since I started nursing in a very busy Emergency Dept in a large public hospital here in Australia. I have really slipped quite a bit, or just not been eating properly, hence I sleep all my days off and feel tired all the time. I love hummos and have been meaning to try making my own, as everyone tells me it is much nicer than shop bought. I am never properly organsied to make good vegan foods to take to work due to such alternating shifts, but hummos I can do!!!! I am going to get the bits and pieces, have lots of dried chick peas at home, and will take your advice. Once again,thanks, good hearing it from someone who is always on the move and I can relate to that. Cheers Vicki

34 Sarah-Jane Bell March 13, 2012 at 8:32 am

I have tried many recipes for home made hummus but can never replicate the texture or flavour of shop bought ( Tesco here in UK!) . I usually have tried making fat free hummus ( no tahini and no oil) which might be the problem whilst the store bought stuff is usually at best reduced fat – maybe if I add the tahini I’ll get a better texture and taste to home made? It would save me a fortune as its a staple in a vegan diet and a must for salads and sandwiches. Thanks for the recipe- I’ll have a go and see if this can convert me back to making my own!

35 Shirley March 13, 2012 at 11:22 am

I am having similar problems as I adore a store bought hummus “Lilly’s original plain hummus. I tried making the above hummus in a food processor and I the texture is too thick and not as creamy. I think I should add more liquid of some type. I do not think my food processor is very efficient at grinding things up either which doesn’t help. I am determined to crack this as I love hummus.

36 Ruth October 4, 2012 at 10:14 pm

Shirley, I find it helps to add a little vegetable broth until the consistency is more creamy. Also helps if the chickpeas are warm before you blend the hummus.

37 Rosemarie March 13, 2012 at 9:42 am

I agree, I always carry my vegan food with me in a cooler. You never know where and what to buy that is safe.
This is a very nice recipe but I have one hint, since many people are watching their budget and Tahini is so expensive ($15.00 a jar here) I substitute it with all natural peanut butter, taste just the same and is good for you also.

38 Jacqui March 13, 2012 at 11:30 am

Try horseradish sauce in the second half of a batch! Drunks were making hummus one night at my house and tried a couple spoonfuls of horseradish sauce and now it’s the family fav!

39 Gena March 13, 2012 at 1:23 pm

I often prefer the thickness of processor hummus, but sometimes I do crave the incomparable silkiness that only a VitaMix can impart! Great post.

40 Vikki March 13, 2012 at 3:33 pm

Made this today with half-quantities but a bit more garlic, lemon and spices than the lower amounts. Haven’t got a vitamix so I did it in the processor attachment to my hand blender and it came out lovely! I’m really chuffed because I’ve been trying for ages to find a hummus recipe that works and I think this is it!

41 Frazz March 13, 2012 at 4:01 pm

Can’t wait to use this recipe! But how much is the yield/how large is a serving size?

42 Daysi March 13, 2012 at 6:20 pm

I made this wih my blend tec. I suggest, if you’re making it in a blend tec and using canned beans, you start with half a cup of water/garbanzo broth because it will come out a bit runny. I made it with 4 garlic cloves but I should’ve started with just 2 like Susan said. Either way, it came out great! I love your recipes. So fast easy and delicious!

43 Anjana March 13, 2012 at 11:15 pm

Wow, this is what is call wish granted. I was just thinking of making hummus at home and was looking for good recipe. even checked your site 2 days ago( got to mention have been following your site for quite some time now) and tadaa, here it is now! thanks susan.

44 Cat ~ The Verdant Life March 14, 2012 at 12:31 pm

Great advice! I love that traveling with hummus makes it so easy to whip up veggie sandwiches or just use it as a dip. And homemade is always so much better (and cheaper) than store-bought.

45 Carolyn Blakeney March 14, 2012 at 8:05 pm

Love this idea Susan, I will try it in my Blendtec next time. I’ve always done it in the food processor in the past, and just spun the bejeepers out of it to get it smooth (which works just fine). This is very close to the recipe I use, which was adapted from Paula Wolfert’s “Cooking of the Eastern Mediterranean”. My adaptation also places the cumin and smoked paprika right in the puree, rather than using it as a garnish, plus Aleppo pepper as the chile powder of choice. I know the “purists” might not do it this way, but I just can’t imagine hummus without these ingredients as integral parts of the mix!

46 hala March 15, 2012 at 9:14 am

Just wanted to say – I LOVE your recipes and have been using them for the past couple of years! I love cooking vegetarian/vegan food for myself, and although I do cook meat for my family (they’re not as excited about eating vegan as I am), I tend to make your dishes as sides for them while I eat it as my main dish! Thanks for sharing!

47 Wendy March 15, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Thanks for this recipe! I had printed it off on Monday and it popped into my head when I was looking for something to munch on for a light dinner. I had about a cup of leftover garbanzo beans, so I made your recipe using about 1/3 portions. I popped it all into my mini Cuisenart blender and it was easy! I ate it with multigrain pita chips and some leftover roasted root veggies….the perfect light dinner for myself. Thanks again!

48 Christin March 15, 2012 at 2:34 pm

If you’ve never tried it, you’ve got to try adding figs and cranberry! Sabra had this once years ago and it was the first hummus I’d ever liked! Apparently it was a trial holiday release only since I’ve never seen it again. I branched out to many many new flavors over the years but when I started a fat-free vegan lifestyle and started making my own, this became my new favorite :)

49 Janey March 21, 2012 at 10:52 am

Sounds good , but explain please. Fresh? Dried? Cranberries with added sugar?

50 sarah farsh March 15, 2012 at 3:12 pm

I love hummus!! Agreed, it’s a perfect travel companion, and delicious.

51 Melissa March 15, 2012 at 8:20 pm

I have tried store bought hummus several times trying to like it and I never did. Reading your home made receipe has inspired me to try again, since I know how healthy it is. Btw I love your blog it is pleasing to the eye and easy to navigate, not to mention the writing/receipes. Good job Susan.

52 Flora. March 15, 2012 at 9:47 pm

Mmm, nice.
I’ve tried to make hommus in the blender once, and it didn’t actually work.
I’ll try your recipe soon. Thanks for sharing.

53 James @ Buy Electric Shaver March 16, 2012 at 8:41 am

I love your suggestion to have this on hand when I travel. Unfortunately over half of my travel is via airplane so the cooler is out. I am wondering if I could freeze it and then let it defrost in my checked luggage during the flight. How long do you think it would last like this before going bad? I usually wind up buying a packaged hummus when I get to my destination but this would be an interesting alternative for shorter trips. Thanks for the recipe.

54 Brooke March 18, 2012 at 8:40 pm

Hi! I am just starting to be vegan (making a slow change), and my dear mother bought be a Vitamax as an early graduation gift. I really am amazed my how smooth it can make just about everything, but how do you get the hummus out? It is very difficult for me. Also, do you chop items in your Vitamax? I think it comes out too fine. Am I doing it wrong?

55 Susan Voisin March 18, 2012 at 9:51 pm

I use a flexible silicone spatula to get out most of the hummus, but there’s always a little under the blade that I can’t reach. I’ve never used it for chopping–just blending. I still prefer my food processor or a knife for chopping.

56 veglandia March 19, 2012 at 9:32 pm

Just made your hummus – it was truly easy. Always looking for great things to make in my vitamin. Thanks again for another great recipe.

57 Quirky Eats March 20, 2012 at 7:10 am

Your use of cumin in this hummus recipe caught my attention. I make one with cumin too, and add tamarind to it.

58 Fiona March 20, 2012 at 8:06 pm

This is a helpful post! I have always made hummus in the processor but will be trying the Vitamix next time! Thank you!

59 Koren Helbig March 21, 2012 at 4:22 am

Hi! A belated little note to let you know we loved your blog so much we nominated it for a Versatile Blogger Award. Pop over here if you want to check out our other nominations: http://nofoodwithaface.wordpress.com/2012/03/02/versatile-blogger-award/
xx Alana and Koren

60 Robalee Deike March 21, 2012 at 12:33 pm

Thanks for another great recipe! We are heading on a trip Friday, so I made this up just now. Hope it will last until we hit the road. We also enjoyed the Irish White Bean and Cabbage Stew on St. Patty’s Day — our Irish-heritage guests loved it and we enojyed the leftovers for a quick meal last evening!

61 VeganCouchPotato March 22, 2012 at 12:45 pm

That looks delicious, I am going to have to start making hummus myself now!

62 Wendy March 23, 2012 at 7:27 am

I so needed this recipe today. I cooked a big batch of chick peas yesterday and last night when I was trying to make tofu mayo my (13 year old) food processor died. (Rest its poor overused soul.) I was wondering how on earth I was going to use all of those chick peas if I couldn’t make hummus….now I know.

63 Nicole Caligiuri March 23, 2012 at 9:27 am

this is amazing. thank you so much- it not only cuts down on my weekly grocery bill (oh hummus, I love you!) but also enables me to eat healthy and personalize it on a daily basis! hubby loves it with sundried tomato pesto mixed in. mmm. thank you!

64 Jerry March 23, 2012 at 12:09 pm

I just made a batch and instead of paprika, chipotle, or cayenne powder, I blended in a fresh jalapeño and cilantro. Yum yum yum :)

65 Marsha March 25, 2012 at 8:05 pm

Pasta of any kind

66 Brittany.Romanchik March 26, 2012 at 9:37 pm

So I literally just made this, not as smooth as I would have liked because I’m still using a regular Kitchen Aid blender, but still delicious.

Ps. Wanted to say thanks, I’m in culinary school at the moment and it’s been really difficult to find vegan recipes at all with all the contrasting things I’m learning in school. Your blog however is a god send, and I hope you don’t mind but I’m using it almost exclusively for anything my instructors will let me. Thanks.

67 Debbie March 28, 2012 at 11:13 am

Thank you so much for this recipe! I was finally pushed to try my hand at hummus-making when I bought a cheaper brand at the store and could not eat it because it just was not good. Your post had great timing. I JUST made this, so my flavors haven’t mingled yet, but it is among the best hummus I have had (granted, my experience is limited to grocery store brands). I used the minimums of everything except for using the maximum of cumin. I made it in my food processor so it isn’t 100% smooth but I kind of like it that way. Wonderful recipe and I am glad I picked this one instead of that with 5,000 positive reviews (and with oil) at the big recipe website.

68 Kait's Inside Dish March 28, 2012 at 12:48 pm

I always wondered how oil free hummus would taste but judging from this picture it would be pretty amazing! I love your suggestions about the unique add ins, there so much you can put in hummus to flavor it up!

69 Edward April 11, 2012 at 7:53 pm

I´ve always had trouble making hummus in my vitamix, it would always end up too thick for the vitamix to handle no matter how much water or oil I put…so I just gave up. This post has given me the hope to try it one more time, thank you. I will add one chickpea at a time haha.

70 shan May 26, 2012 at 8:31 am

Do you use the tamper? It’s a must for making hummus.

Love reading about all the different hummus variations. Can’t wait to try them out.

Good luck!

71 caryn April 19, 2012 at 2:34 pm

(If you’re approving any of my comments, please use this one, as I had an unfinished sentence in the previous one due to getting distracted. Thanks!)

Hello! Your hummus is almost exactly like my hummus! The smoked paprika can’t be beat. It’s a must. I haven’t tried it with water in lieu of EVOO, but it seems like you can’t miss it. If I’m feeling a little spicy, I’ll add 1-2 chipotle peppers in adobo with a handful of cilantro. I’m a little surprised with all of the comments from people wanting to eliminate the tahini to lower the fat! Sesame seeds are highly nutritious, albiet fattening, but if used in moderation, in the case of a couple tablespoons of tahini in a batch of hummus. For vegans & raw foodies, it provides protein, B vitamins, EFAs and a TON of calcium. They’re a good source for healthy fats our bodies need.

72 Tom Virtue April 26, 2012 at 4:07 pm

Wow! I’m six weeks into an Esselstyn plant-based, no oil eating plan and this recipe is a godsend. I made your recipe (excluding the tahini/sesame seeds) and it delighted my palate. What a fantastic staple to this new way of eating for me. Many thanks.

73 DD May 24, 2012 at 6:11 pm

I made this today in my new vitamix and, I agree, the texture is SO much better than the food processor or blender! However, I have a question…why not include the salt with all the other ingredients? I saw this in my vitamix cookbook but no explanation. I added salt when I put everything else in since I use kosher salt and it is rather coarse. But it worked just fine. I was just wondering why the recipe says not to add the salt in the blender.
And, I added sun-dried tomatoes, basil, and a couple pieces of marinated artichoke hearts. Turned out yummy!

74 Susan Voisin May 24, 2012 at 7:20 pm

I’m not sure why the Vitamix cookbook has you wait to add the salt, but I do it because I’m adding it to taste, and you can’t taste the hummus until it’s hummus. ;-) There’s nothing wrong with adding it earlier if you know how much you’re going to want to add. Since a lot of people avoid added salt and some use canned (salted) chickpeas and others use home cooked, unsalted ones, I leave it up to the individual to decide how much salt to add.

75 Sarah May 25, 2012 at 5:11 pm

Do you think this would also work if I sub the chickpeas with Cannelini beans for a white bean hummus?

76 Susan Voisin May 25, 2012 at 5:15 pm

Yes, but start with less liquid because you may not need it with cannelini beans.

77 Say May 26, 2012 at 2:31 pm

Great! Thank you. I’m going to give it a whirl now. Ha! No pun intended.

78 Queen May 31, 2012 at 1:33 pm

Just made this! It’s delicious and couldn’t be easier to make. Thanks for the recipe!

79 Ashley June 6, 2012 at 6:44 pm

Hi there! I love hummus and have always purchased it from the store. We have a local restaurant that makes it and sells it at the local grocery store. However, it’s expensive!!

I recently was given a ton of garbanzo beans and wanted to try making hummus on my own. I’ve located tahini (took a bit of work) but was curious on cooking the garbanzo beans. Any advice on how to cook them so I can try your recipe! I’ve never cooked them before so I’m clueless.

Thanks!

80 Katie Loss June 9, 2012 at 1:47 pm

HI Ashley, if you do a google search for cooking beans you will find all kinds of information, methods, and personal preferences. You can cook beans on the stovetop, in a crockpot, or in a pressure cooker. My own method: I cook 1/2 lb. at a time because I’m the only one eating beans in my family. They last 4-5 days in fridge. I toss when they just start to smell funky if for some reason I haven’t eaten them up. 1. Pour out beans on a large plate, sort through and toss any little rocks or beans that look off. 2. Rinse in a collander and put into a bowl. Fill with water covering bean by 2 inches or so. Let soak overnight. They will double in size. 3. I personally just use same water for cooking, but most people don’t and claim it is important to rinse them thoroughly and use fresh water for cooking to reduce flatulence. I’ve been eating beans for so long, it doesn’t seem to matter for me. 4. Put soaked beans in pot, fill with water covering them by about 1 – 1 1/2 inches. Bring slowly to boil and then continue to simmer them for 1 1/2 – 2 hours (this will depend on freshness of beans and type of beans. When they are soft they are done. I drain and keep the bean water, or pot liquor as it is sometimes called to use in place of veggie broth in recipes for the week. I never use salt in cooking beans. Sometimes I add a bay leaf, a square of kombu, or chopped miripoix to the pot, but mostly I like to have plain beans which I can use in a variety of recipes through the week or just toss onto a salad or smoosh with a fork on a tortilla. Hope this helps.

81 Todd June 9, 2012 at 11:35 am

Susan…I just LOVE this recipe for Hummus. I make it every week and we eat in in every way imaginable. Your blog has inspired me to finally start my own blog and talk about the health benefits of eating a vegan diet. Would you mind if I shared this recipe on my blog? Thanks!

82 Susan Voisin June 9, 2012 at 12:36 pm

I’m so glad you like the recipe! Please feel free to share the link, so that people can come here for the recipe. As your blog starts to grow, you will start to see that it’s better for you if your recipes are not duplicated on other blogs. Good luck!

83 Todd June 9, 2012 at 2:51 pm

Thank you Susan! And thank you for all of the great recipes that have helped me to make the transition to Vegan over the past year. Please keep up the great work!

84 brian July 3, 2012 at 2:09 pm

I frequently make variations on this and agree it is a great travel food. You can make it lower fat by leaving out the tahini. Including some tamari provides a similar toasty flavor (but don’t add any salt as the tamari / soy sauce adds enough). I like to add either parsley or cilantro, or carrots or yellow/orange/red bell pepper. The latter make it juicier so if you use these, add less water / bean juice. Takes about 5 minutes to make and is great on sandwiches and as a vegetable or chip dip.

85 Jo-Ann Brightman July 7, 2012 at 11:22 am

I have to try this recipe. I am always buying hummus and this would be cheaper and perhaps better!

86 Emily July 12, 2012 at 5:41 pm

I was surprised how well this turned out in out cheap-ish blender. Definitely needed a little help from the spatula but much better than I expected. Also, it is sooo good and so much cheaper to make than what we buy(especially when using sesame seeds instead of store bought tahini). My toddler is happily chowing down. Thank you, thank you!

87 mettachoo July 13, 2012 at 2:07 am

I hv a waring Xtreme hi-power blender. Can i use it to dry blend (without liquid) boiled chicpea bean or potato as vegan burger? Thanks

88 David Khaliel July 17, 2012 at 11:13 am

This is NOT fat free. Tahini or sesame seeds adds fat!

89 Zara July 19, 2012 at 5:35 pm

It’s hard to get your hummus silky smooth if you don’t own a high powered blender or food processor, but I know a trick… Blend the tahini and lemon juice FIRST and you will notice that it will get really fluffy fast. THEN add the chickpeas, water, and garlic and you will get a smoother hummus. I add a tiny bit of olive oil at the end and blend for a few seconds longer to make it super smooth and fluffy. For just over a dollar you get awesome restaraunt quality hummus!

90 Polly February 18, 2013 at 5:55 pm

Ditto to idea of first mixing lemon juice with tahini for creamier texture before adding other ingredients.

91 molly August 8, 2012 at 11:47 am

Try adding a can of black beans

92 William@paproud August 12, 2012 at 12:23 pm

We are on a low fat Vegan based Essylstyn diet and looking for fat free Hummas recipies, which this recipie is not. If you take out the Tahini, you lose that good nutty flavor. If someone could come up with a great fat free Hummus while retaining the wonderful flavors of all of the Tahini containing commercial hummus recipies, you would have a winner for sure.

93 Susan Voisin August 12, 2012 at 12:31 pm

Tahini flavor without tahini? I’m sorry but that’s impossible! But this one does have some tahini flavor with only a fraction of the fat of most hummus recipes.

94 William@paproud August 12, 2012 at 11:08 pm

Just to clarify, just wondering if there isn’t some non fat ingredient or ingredients that could be used to substitute for tahini to come close to the good nutty flavor the tahini brings to Hummus, ie. perhaps a grain, or something else. What about quinoa, I understand that it has a nutty flavor?

95 Susan Voisin August 13, 2012 at 6:28 am

If you toast quinoa in a dry skillet before cooking, it gets a slightly peanutty flavor. I’m not sure if it would be strong enough to flavor a batch of hummus, though you could try. Also, a drop or two–literally–of sesame oil would add some sesame flavor with only a trace amount of fat per serving. There’s also a powdered peanut product, PB2, that you could try, but it has sugar in it, so I’m not sure it would work.

96 William@paproud August 13, 2012 at 8:29 pm

Thanks for the ideas. I will give them a try. Made your recipie yesterday and added sundries tomatoes in place of Tahini, it was great, thanks for providing my new base Hummus recipie. Delicious.

97 Ronnie from Tasmania August 12, 2012 at 11:44 pm

I stumbled across your site whilst searching for a suitable diet for a vegetarian/vegan with PCOS. I am in heaven! I was so excited that I have been pouring through your recipes and bookmarking left, right and centre!

I just made your hummus with a little extra spice (like you I like a nice hit of zing) and it is amazing!!! Now I have this recipe I will never buy store bought hummus again.

I even gave a little taste to my young daughter (sans spice) and she started smacking her lips together and smiling!

Thanks so much for your wonderful site.

Regards,
Ronnie.

98 Terry Stuart August 19, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Enjoying your site and also need your help. Plan to make my own hummus with your basic recipe. My (and my 87 year Mom’s) favorite hummus by far was the Cranberry and Fig (apparently once and only seasonal Sabra) and have really missed it. Would really appreciate your suggestions on proportions to add to your basic recipe of cranberry and fig – also dried vs fresh. Many thanks.

99 Rick August 25, 2012 at 10:41 am

The whole time i was making this recipe i was telling myself there is no way this can be good. You have to have olive oil in Hummus in order for it to taste good. Holy cow was i ever wrong. This is the best hummus I have ever had.
I know olive oil has many health benefits but i dont like to eat that much of it so this recipe is perfect for me. I now can eat as much hummus as i like.
Thank you so much for this recipe as well as all of the other ones on this site.
Rick

100 Asta-Karolina September 17, 2012 at 1:13 am

It has just the perfect texture: Not to stiff and not to runny! Excellent!

101 Mike S September 26, 2012 at 2:08 pm

I’m new here Susan. I got a new Vitamix and had to try your hummus recipe. I was specifically looking for a recipe without oil.:) Used 1/2 chilpotle pepper from a can, and the hummus turned out amazing! Thanks for the recipe.

102 suezianne December 15, 2012 at 6:22 pm

This is my second time making hummus and I love it. I made it without the Tahini

103 Sherisse H (@lovesplantbased) January 2, 2013 at 3:04 pm

I made this hummus for new years, it was a hit! I regret only making a half batch lol. I soaked the chickpeas in hot water since I don’t have a blender and wanted a smooth hummus, worked really well. Thanks for another awesome recipe Susan!

104 stephanie January 13, 2013 at 5:19 pm

I have been using this recipe to make beet hummus, using 4 medium cooked, cubed beets (instead of chickpeas) and eliminating the water. It’s good with some extra lemon juice, the zest from the lemon and i add a bit of sumac. This way is so much easier than the way I was making beet hummus before!!!

105 JoelM January 21, 2013 at 8:07 pm

In order to avoid the salt I add miso instead; 2 Tablespoons would be about right for this recipe.

106 od-kuchni January 23, 2013 at 12:25 pm

The best hummus I’ve ever had! Thank you for sharing this recipe.

107 Laura T. February 21, 2013 at 1:42 pm

Do you think this could be made with either red or green lentils instead? Looks great!

108 Laura T. February 21, 2013 at 2:27 pm

Update:
Made in food processor this evening with red lentils as the pulse. Added a couple of sundried tomatoes and a generous squirt or sriracha. Delish! Best hummus I have ever made, or tasted for that matter…and without oil! Have some hm spelt bread baking atm and going to enjoy hummus on toast :3

109 Edith February 24, 2013 at 4:26 pm

This is tasty! I fudged a bit with mine, made a half batch to test, used preserved garlic from a jar, which I won’t be buying again after I use up (too much fat) and probably put in a little more tahini than you called for. I added my spices without salt, realized it did need some, and used Cajun salt with chili powder for some extra zing.
It smelled a little funny at first, until I realized I had overloaded my cheapo food processor and was smelling the engine oil! But it tastes great ^_^

110 janice February 27, 2013 at 11:22 am

What is the serving size. I just started weight watchers and tried to do it eating meat. Ugh. Trying to go back to being vegan and losing weight. Also I wish you would include the specific serving size in all of your recipes. Makes dieting easier.

111 Ben Hall March 23, 2013 at 1:04 pm

Thanks! This was incredibly easy to make, even in our old processor. It just came out a little coarser than yours. I will definitely make it again. I have a question: does this still count as low-fat with tahini in it?

112 Susan Voisin March 23, 2013 at 1:31 pm

Ben, I call this a “higher fat” recipe because it is around 20% calories from fat. But, compared to traditional hummus recipes, it is MUCH lower in fat. Consider that most comparable recipes have 2/3 cup of tahini while this has 2 tablespoons. That’s about 4-5 times less fat than usual.

113 Sheri April 14, 2013 at 9:15 am

Susan…. This is hands down the best hummus I have ever eaten!!! Can you tell me if hummus travels well without refrigeration?? I want to take it with me on my carry on bag on the plane …. Would love to know your thoughts! :)

114 Susan Voisin April 14, 2013 at 11:39 am

I’m so glad you liked it, Sheri! I think that if it’s a short trip, it should be okay, but I wouldn’t let it go for more than 5 hours before eating it. But check with some reliable source before doing that–I wouldn’t want you to get sick!

115 Stevio May 1, 2013 at 10:48 am

I like that you have included suggested variations and I will no doubt try this. Thanks for your blog, it’s inspirational.

116 Kate the South Aussie July 18, 2013 at 4:27 am

Best hummus ever! Thanks for a great recipe. The only addition I made was adding a tablespoon (or two!) of Beerenberg’s Caramelised Onion sauce. Unbelievably yummy!

117 anne kraul July 26, 2013 at 10:53 am

I have a vitamix, and love it, but find it difficult to use for making hummus. How do you successfully get all the hummus out of the blender? Any tricks up your sleeve?
thanks!

anne

118 Susan Voisin July 26, 2013 at 11:05 am

119 Alison July 27, 2013 at 2:06 pm

would this work in a nutribullet? Thanks!

120 Susan Voisin July 27, 2013 at 2:09 pm

I’m afraid I don’t know anything about the nutribullet. If its motor is as strong as a Vitamix, then it may work.

121 Shar July 31, 2013 at 10:58 pm

I just got a Vitamix and so far, we’ve enjoyed very wonderful smoothies and soups. Today I tried making hummus in it and was very disappointed when I couldn’t get all of it out of the blender. This is because, unlike a traditional blender, the Vitamix doesn’t have blades that can be removed. Still, it was sad to waste all that tasty hummus I couldn’t successfully extract! Do you have any tips for working with thicker things like dips in the Vitamix? Thanks for all your great recipes. We’re really enjoying them!

122 Katie Loss August 1, 2013 at 9:13 pm

Hey Shar, I love the way this hummus comes out, so smooth and creamy. I have the same issue with getting it all out of the Vitamix and noticed that Susan answered this very question a few posts ago. I’ll copy and paste what she said here. She said: “I use a flexible silicone spatula, but it’s still a little of a pain getting the hummus out from under the blades. I just like it so much better than food processor hummus, so I put up with the time-consuming clean out.” Guess we just have to be a little patient and realize we won’t be able to lick the bowl clean. The results by using the Vitamix are definitely worth it. When I make it in my food processor it just never quite comes out with the creamy consistency of a good hummus. ;)

123 Jenna August 22, 2013 at 10:25 am

Thanks Susan! Love this recipe! As far as getting the hummus out of the Vitamix, I turn it upside down and turn the blades (from the outside!) Then I juice a whole lemon and a little more garlic and blend again, making a yummy salad dressing and then none of the hummus is wasted!

124 Tammy September 17, 2013 at 2:55 pm

I made this today using the full amounts of spice & 1 teaspoon of salt. It was FABULOUS! Thanks so much for the wonderful recipe.

125 Kim September 28, 2013 at 6:41 pm

I used your recipe as a base to re-create some fat-free roasted red pepper hummus that I had purchased from Whole Foods. Thank you once again for a successful recipe! I actually used some (accidentally) overcooked navy beans and skipped the tahini. (No tahini in the WF version). I ended up using a little bit more than 3 tbsp of lemon juice and I also added about 1/4tsp of dried lemon peel. A tiny little pinch of citric acid gave it the extra tang. Thank you for your wonderful recipes!

126 roy tanoulas October 23, 2013 at 8:16 am

Hello Susan,

I hope to go from a semi-vegan to a full vegan diet before the middle of 2014. Using a vegan recipe for hummus should be key approach to break bad habits
of a toast and butter breakfast etc. etc.
Thanks for your creative web page toward a plant based diet!

Roy

127 Jill Cherni November 3, 2013 at 1:33 pm

Oh this sounds awesome! I am in a serious hummus phase. I have been vegan but wander in vegetarian land when eating out sometimes. Now I am trying wheat free as Im sure I have leaky gut and I am ALWAYS hungry so…. hummus to the rescue. At $4 a container for the organic kind Im going to have to make my own and yours sounds like just the ticket. Thank you.

128 Pravina Parikh December 28, 2013 at 7:22 pm

Wow looks so mouth watering I will try for my grand kids thank you for posting

129 lisa December 29, 2013 at 6:03 pm

Just to ask again- what IS a serving size ?

130 Marjorie Bregar December 29, 2013 at 9:53 pm

To easily remove hummus from Vitamix, instead of trying to clean the blender by hand, I swish some water in it to get all the hummus and pour into a pan to add seasonings and make delicious soup. I can’t bear to waste any of the delicious hummus left in that hard-to-clean Vitamix. It becomes the base for a great tasting soup with or without more veggies added. And the Vitamix is almost clean & ready for some soap and water.

131 Mick Shanahan January 25, 2014 at 8:36 am

Susan, you are a rock star and I love your recipe collections. But I find your website complicated and I would love, love, love to have a FatFreeVegan app for my Windows tablet. I know you’re pretty diversified with Facebook and email subscriptions and now this thing I just chanced on called Feastie, but the existing vegan recipe apps for tablets don’t hold a candle to your collection. I would certainly jump at the chance to buy the app for my Surface. (If you’re wondering why I left this comment here, it’s because I couldn’t figure out from the website how to email you.)

132 jaann oliver March 10, 2014 at 11:09 pm

I have just went vegan. Having g a bit of a hard time because I am diabetic.

133 Ann March 12, 2014 at 11:17 am

Would you say that a normal serving size is a couple of tablespoons? Thanks for this easy low fat classic recipe.

134 Susan Voisin March 12, 2014 at 12:47 pm

A serving would be about 6-7 tablespoons or somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 cup.

135 Lynn Pierce May 21, 2014 at 5:35 pm

Love the sight, but I have one problem with the Hummus recipe: My daughter in law is EXTREMELY allergic to sesame, in any form. Is there something I could substitute for it in this recipe? For instance, would lime juice instead of sesame make a suitable substitute? She would dearly love to be able to eat Hummus again…and I would love to make it for her.
Lynn Pierce

136 Susan Voisin May 21, 2014 at 5:57 pm

Hi Lynn–you can always just leave out the sesame, or if you want the richness that it gives, use a nut butter like cashew, peanut, or almond butter. Even sesame butter would be a good option. I hope your daughter-in-law enjoys it!

137 Jackie Jardine-Moore May 28, 2014 at 10:22 pm

When I leave out the tahini I like to use a couple of drops of sesame oil and then liquid from bottled kalamata olives in whatever proportion you like with water. I also throw some of the olives in the blended hummus to chop slightly before serving. I skip the cumin when I use the olives.

138 SamuelS June 17, 2014 at 10:34 pm

I have a quick question…. I have made this before for the family and just last night they said it was too dry and wanted oil added. Is more tahini or sesame seeds the answer here or ??? TIA, as I have a request to make it this week… SS

139 Susan Voisin June 18, 2014 at 6:13 am

Yes, I would add more tahini or water or veg broth before I’d add oil. Most people are used to packaged hummus which does contain oil and is not as thick as this is. Tahini would add a little fat but water or broth would thin it down better. Don’t add too much or you’ll have soup! :)

140 Pam Brown July 5, 2014 at 1:16 pm

I use my Vitamix to make veggie smoothies / juices & have begun to use hummus as a flavor component. I just happened to make one using your Berbere Red Lentil Hummus…tomatoes, cucumber, zucchini, celery, carrot & a couple tablespoons berbere hummus + salt. So tasty! (the texture is like a canned tomato juice) Though I will admit to a period of time getting used to the mix…kind of like adjusting to green smoothies. The more I drink them, the more I like/love them.

141 Pam Brown July 5, 2014 at 1:20 pm

But….
my point was to be, that in using the Vitamix for hummus, I would be inclined to add a bit of water to the dab of hummus left in the container & blend; put in the fridge…saving it for the next veggie “juice”.