Mu Shu Jackfruit Lettuce Wraps

by on May 21, 2013

Mu Shu Jackfruit Lettuce Wraps

Excuse the short introduction to this recipe, but I’m packing my bags and heading to Portland, Oregon, to hobnob with the vegan and famous at Vida Vegan Con. I’ll be giving a food photography presentation, speaking about blog monetization with Nava Atlas, and participating in a panel on privacy and oversharing with Dreena Burton, Joanna Vaught, and Sayward Rebhal. Plus, I’ll be having dinner with friend and fellow blogger Maria, so I’m beyond excited. Daughter E is coming along as my “assistant” (camera bag bearer), so if you’re there, please don’t hesitate to come up to us and tell her that you remember when she was little bitty and wore glasses (she loves that, honest!)

Before I go, I wanted to share a traditional Chinese recipe that I lightened up with the use of jackfruit. You may remember young green jackfruit from my Jackfruit “Crab” Cakes; it’s an Asian fruit that is used as a vegetable when it’s green. As it cooks, it starts to flake and shred, becoming eerily reminiscent of the texture of pulled pork, without all of the antibiotics, cholesterol, or animal suffering. It’s shreddy texture is perfect in this Mu Shu “Pork,” absorbing all the sweet and salty flavors of the sauce while having a much lower calorie and fat count than the original. I also substituted lettuce leaves for the traditional mu shu pancakes, making this main dish much lighter and fresher than its namesake while still just as flavorful.

Mu Shu Jackfruit Lettuce Wraps

A Note About Gluten: The hoisin sauce I used contains wheat, but if a wheat-free version exists, you could make these gluten-free (you’ll need to check your soy sauce, too).

See you in Portland!

Susan

This post contains Amazon affiliate links. When you buy something through them, I receive a commission that helps pay the bills. Thanks for your purchase!

1 janet @ the taste space May 21, 2013 at 8:56 am

I am loving your unique ways of using jackfruit, Susan. Have fun!

2 Marilou Garon May 21, 2013 at 9:24 am

Thank you, looks delicious for summer! Can we also have the recipe for the beautiful inside-out sushi rolls in the background? :) It looks like you use brown rice and I’d so love to know how to use it for nori rolls!

3 Mary Ellen May 21, 2013 at 9:55 am

Congratulations on your presentation! I can’t wait to try this fun recipe.

4 Laina May 21, 2013 at 10:35 am

Looks delicious, Susan!

Kikkoman makes a gluten-free soy sauce. I’ve seen other brands online as well. There are also some gluten-free hoisin sauces out there too.

Or you can make your own hoisin sauce:
4 tablespoons gluten free soy sauce -or- braggs amino acids
1 tablespoon peanut butter
1 tablespoon honey
3 teaspoons white vinegar
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
2 teaspoons sesame oil
2 teaspoons Siracha chili sauce
1/8 teaspoon black pepper

I haven’t seen jackfruit around here, but haven’t looked in awhile. Will have to check around because I’d love to make this. Yum!

5 india leigh May 21, 2013 at 1:31 pm

Lettuce wraps. Of course! Why didn’t I think of that?! I finally got around to experimenting with Jackfruit this weekend. http://aveganobsession.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/pulled-pork-jackfruit-with-fresh.html I loved it! I am going to stock up on a few cans, and put your recipe on the list to try.
thanks! Enjoy Vida Vegan Con. (jealous!). I am definitely going next year..hook or by crook! or should that be crock?
India Leigh

6 Nicole May 21, 2013 at 2:17 pm

Any particular Hoisin sauce you like best? And if one can’t find jackfruit, any good substitutions? Thanks! :)

7 Marta @ What should I eat for breakfast today May 21, 2013 at 5:12 pm

This is a unique recipe. Have fun in Oregon and good luck with presentation!

8 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit May 22, 2013 at 6:50 am

Wow, have fun at the event! Sounds like it’s going to be good. I LOVE Dreena. So very cool that you get to work alongside her.

9 Irina @ wandercrush May 22, 2013 at 7:18 pm

The last time I tried cooking with jackfruit, it was a huge failure! I definitely need to give it another shot, though… your recipe might be my saving grace.

10 Susan Voisin May 30, 2013 at 9:15 am

I’ve had problems with it, too. For one thing, it can be tricky to get it the right softness. If I cook it too long, it seems to lose all its chewiness. I think the trick is not to expect it to shred as it cooks but to cut it up beforehand. Also, it’s so low in calories that it is much more filling when used with something heartier, like a legume or a grain.

11 Sharon May 29, 2013 at 2:35 am

Thanks for the new recipe, Susan. (And thank you for the tip about a cookie sheet for potato “fries!”)

I posted your website on Dean Ornish’s website: http://www.ornishspectrum.com/ and lots of people commented on it! I think it’s one of the best, and I always look forward to your new recipes.

Have fun in Oregon! You deserve it! :D

12 Susan Voisin May 30, 2013 at 9:11 am

Thanks so much, Sharon! I appreciate the support.

13 Laura T. July 27, 2013 at 8:16 pm

I made this and we both loved it. I’ve been buying and cooking jackfruit every week since you posted this! Most recently I’ve used it for southern fired ‘chicken’. Going to work on a fat free version soon, southern baked chicken I guess?

14 Susan June 15, 2014 at 4:16 am

Hi Susan!

This is a long shot, but do you happen to have any tips for working with *fresh* (unripe) jackfruit?

Specifically, do you know if the cooking times are significantly different between fresh and canned?

Love your recipes and just found your site today. I’m definitely checking back regularly for my fat free vegan meals!

15 Susan Voisin June 15, 2014 at 9:55 am

I wish I could help, but I’ve only worked with the canned jackfruit. I’ve seen them fresh and they look so intimidating, but I’d love to know how to use them.