Barbecue Black-Eyed Pea Burgers

by on June 5, 2014

Barbecue Black-Eyed Pea Burgers

Move over, African-Inspired Sweet Potato and Black Bean Burgers! I have a new favorite veggie burger, and it’s ridiculously easy to make.

It was inspired by a burger at our local vegetarian restaurant called the “Good Burger,” a black-eyed pea burger that lives up to its name. When a local newspaper recently printed the recipe for Good Burgers, I couldn’t wait to make them. Of course, I had to play with with the formula a little, put my own personal stamp on it. There were a few ingredients in the recipe that I wanted to avoid–relish, which my husband hates, Bragg’s Liquid Aminos, which I hate, and Panko bread crumbs, which I try to avoid because they’re more processed than I like. But mainly I wanted to give the burger a flavor boost by replacing ketchup with barbecue sauce (free of high-fructose corn syrup, of course.)

Barbecue Black-Eyed Pea Burgers

It was a great adaptation, and I knew it while they were baking because of the wonderful aroma that filled the house. The burgers were meaty, firm, and gently seasoned, and oddly, they tasted nothing like black-eyed peas. While they were baking, I threw some sliced sweet peppers into a hot skillet and cooked them until they were touched with brown. And, though I would have liked to have served them with Comeback Dressing as the High Noon Cafe does, I didn’t have time to make any, so I compromised by making a quick Sriracha mayo–simply Tofu-Cashew Mayo mixed with a little of the old rooster sauce. The combination was unbelievably good. Make them. You will not regret it.

Enjoy!

Susan

This post contains Amazon affiliate links. When you buy something through them, I receive a commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!

Current day month ye@r *

1 Kristin June 5, 2014 at 3:26 pm

I swear, I just cooked some black-eyed peas this morning (I’d gotten them fresh at the farmers’ market and didn’t want them to go bad) and had no idea what I was going to do with them. Were you spying on me?? ;-)

2 Susan Voisin June 5, 2014 at 3:50 pm

Who me? Pay no attention to that sound outside your window. ;-)

I hope you’ll give them a try and like them as much as I do.

3 JT June 5, 2014 at 3:26 pm

Why do you hate Bragg’s?

4 Susan Voisin June 5, 2014 at 3:48 pm

Honestly, it reminds me of the cheap soy sauce that came in the Chinese stir-fry kits my mom used to buy in the 60′s, the ones with the veggies in the can. Besides the taste, it contains more sodium than regular soy sauce, yet people act like it’s somehow healthier than soy sauce.

5 moonwatcher June 5, 2014 at 9:12 pm

Wow, I never would have thought to describe Bragg’s this way, Susan, but I have to agree with you–your description is spot on as far as my own reaction to it as well. Now I know what to say about why I don’t like it!!

6 Susan Voisin June 5, 2014 at 9:40 pm

Do you remember the Chinese food kits I’m talking about, Maria? I think they were made by La Choy or Chung King and they were truly horrible. I mean, stir-fry in a can? Yuck! :)

7 Em June 13, 2014 at 2:24 pm

my siblings and I remember our Mom singing the jingle…”swing American”- to her it was a night off from cooking and for us a night without well food- to this day two of my siblings won’t try any type of Asian food which is too bad because there are so many good things they are missing. But they were traumatized by those cans- blech and those horrible crunchy noodles too…but I don’t blame her for wanting a night off from cooking. There were 6 of us. It was a change too from all the food covered in Cream of Mushroom soup. I never had broccoli until I had moved out of the house…ok ok I’ll stop I hear the violins in the background…

8 Larry June 8, 2014 at 2:16 pm

I remember those stir fry kits, they were horrible. All you could taste was salt. As for Bragg’s, I love the way many people are fooled by their 1/2 tsp serving size to give you the illusion of low sodium compared to most soy sauce that uses a 1 tbsp serving size.

The burgers look delicious and am adding them to my list of thing I am cooking for my parents when I’m visiting them on vacation.

9 Claudia H. Blanton June 5, 2014 at 4:28 pm

I just have to try this! How yummy looking! I have been looking for a great burger my daughter would be able to eat, and I think she would love that!
Thanks

10 Sally June 5, 2014 at 5:06 pm

You have inspired me to finally try a burger. I am allergic to oats so will have to go the opposite direction from you. I will get some buns for the burgers, and one of the buns will become bread crumbs. Thanks Susan.

11 Diane June 5, 2014 at 5:09 pm

The High Noon recipe says “relish.” Is that sweet pickle relish or dill relish or some other relish like hot dog relish which has mustard in it? Thanks

12 Susan Voisin June 5, 2014 at 5:11 pm

It’s probably sweet relish, since that’s so common down here, but it could be anything. I never noticed a flavor of relish or pickles in their burger, so I don’t think it adds a noticeable flavor.

13 Denise June 5, 2014 at 5:42 pm

This looks delicious Susan! Do you have a barbecue sauce you’d recommend?

14 Marie June 6, 2014 at 4:39 pm

I’m wondering about BBQ sauce, as well. The commentary contains a hyperlink to Organicville sauce, but I don’t know if Susan is recommending it or if that’s something that the software inserts into the text.

15 Susan Voisin June 6, 2014 at 4:44 pm

Hi Denise and Marie, yes, I recommend the Organicville sauce or Annie’s. Or, if you have the time, I have several recipes for BBQ sauce that you can make yourself. Just search the site using the search box on the top right.

16 Tom June 5, 2014 at 6:09 pm

I am having the hardest time finding a NO OIL BBQ sauce. Annie’s has one, but I have yet to find it in my new home in Buffalo NY. No Whole Foods Markets here YET (but there will be in 2016!!! I cant wait). I guess I can make my own BBQ sauce. Just extra steps. But this looks delicious and i love black eyed peas!!! Thanks Susan

17 Aimee B. June 5, 2014 at 6:47 pm

These look amazing! Is there something I can use in place of the vegan Worcestershire sauce? It’s something I never have around and can’t find locally. Thanks. :)

18 Dazzle59 June 7, 2014 at 9:44 am

Hi Aimee, here’s an easy recipe for vegan worcestershire sauce. It keeps well in the fridge. Blessings from Dazzle

19 NancyB June 5, 2014 at 6:59 pm

Have you ever made vegan burgers with Purple Hull Peas? The color is very much like hamburger and they taste fabulous with barbecue sauce.

20 Esther J June 5, 2014 at 7:32 pm

Susan, you definitely read my mind. I’ve been craving black eyed-peas and I spied a recipe using them on Whole Foods’ website that I thought I might try early next week. Well, a veggie burger (especially a fave of yours and a super easy one, too) is right up my alley, so that’s gonna take a back seat to this one. These will definitely make an appearance on my menu very soon, so thanks in advance!

21 moonwatcher June 5, 2014 at 9:19 pm

Hi Susan–These look wonderful. I, too, have some dried black-eyed peas I’ve been “eyeing”–haha–and wondering what to do with them. I think this would be great to have when the kids come to help me move. Thanks! (Love the sauteed peppers as an addition too. xo

22 dyannne June 5, 2014 at 11:35 pm

I’ve printed the recipe and will make them soon. But I want to know why you don’t like Bragg’s Aminos? Is it the taste or something else?

23 Susan Voisin June 6, 2014 at 6:22 am

It’s both the taste (see the comments above where I describe how it tastes to me) and the fact that it contains more sodium than regular soy sauce yet people buy it thinking they are getting less salt.

24 Heather June 5, 2014 at 11:56 pm

Wow! I had everything to make these on hand, so I was able to make them for dinner. To be honest, I measured nothing. Just tossed it in the blender, hoping for the best. This was literally the BEST veggie burger I’ve ever had (including store bought and restaurant). I made the patties a little larger than yours and had five huge burgers. My kids and I each had one, and my husband had two. Did not expect that. My 6yo rarely finishes anything. No leftovers, which was exciting (until my husband asked for another batch so he could take a few to work tomorrow).

Anyway, thanks! I’ll never buy another veggie burger again! No more frozen patties that cost approximately the same per burger as these cost per batch. And I love that I can actually make them large enough to fit the bread! (Not a fan of hamburger buns.)

25 Millie l Add A Little June 6, 2014 at 2:21 am

This looks amazing!! Can’t believe it’s vegan – definitely going to try this out as I’m sure even meat eaters would love this!

26 kellie@foodtoglow June 6, 2014 at 3:32 am

Love the flavour profile. I have a favourite West African groundnut stew that we love and after seeing this I will attempt to adapt it for burgers. Thanks for the fantastic idea, Susan. A really winner.

27 LindaV June 7, 2014 at 12:27 pm

Not only does the recipe sound great, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a prettier picture of a burger! The peppers are a gorgeous (and no doubt tasty) addition. I hear you about Braggs, I prefer low sodium Tamari. I never experienced the stir fry kits though, thank goodness!

28 caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy June 7, 2014 at 8:48 pm

what a perfect recipe for summer!

29 Vee@VeesEasyVegan June 7, 2014 at 10:09 pm

I am always looking for decent burger recipes with a variety of beans. They are such a great option for not only BBQ’s but as a main. I like to find ones which will stay together. This one looks great and I love the added BBQ flavours and vegan Worcestershire sauce. Look forward to making these.

30 Corrin Radd June 8, 2014 at 12:11 pm

I made these for lunch today–nice and firm and delicious. I’m not a fan of the rolled oat texture in my burger, so I ground it into flour and it worked wonderfully. I also added a little minced kale.

31 2da4est June 8, 2014 at 2:36 pm

I had just given up trying to make a decent veggie burger when this recipe came to my email. I have been having trouble lately making one that I am satisfied with. I you have finally given me one that suits me! It is moist but holds together well. And no fuss or muss which is always good. I may tweak the seasonings a bit to suit my own taste next time but they are great without any tweaks too. This is a keeper!

Thanks Susan!

32 Cheryl June 8, 2014 at 5:45 pm

Susan, what a trip down memory lane. I not only remember those, but as a child we were pretty poor. One Christmas all we had was, donated from a food pantry type place, some of that canned chow mein with those hard chow mein “noodles” for our Christmas dinner. My toys that year were a couple pencils and candy canes.
Every year now as an adult I donate holiday type food to our north texas food pantry.
Needless to say, I’ve never eaten chow mein again :)

33 Carole June 8, 2014 at 5:59 pm

Cheryl, you bring back my memories too. Just Beans and Mashed potatoes, no butter for our Christmas dinner but we did have hard candy in our stocking with a mandarin orange. In 1950 I was 13 and my gift was a Purity cookbook which I still have, use all the time and will give to my granddaughter when she is 13. I think it is great to have grown up poor, makes one appreciate what you have.

34 Cheryl June 8, 2014 at 9:28 pm

Carole,
Thank you for sharing that. I would have to agree. :)

35 Sophie June 8, 2014 at 9:24 pm

I made these for brunch today and enjoyed them (I served mine with pico de gallo and a slice of avocado.) I have only found a couple of veggie burger recipes that I will make again and this is one of them. Thanks, Susan.

36 Jill June 8, 2014 at 11:01 pm

These look terrific and I can’t wait to try them. What buns do you use that are McDougall friendly? I also might try the BBQ sauce from Amazon, I’m getting tired of using HFCS BBQ sauces from Safeway. :)

37 Tracy June 9, 2014 at 5:46 am

Made these for dinner yesterday, they are delicious! Didn’t want to heat up the house with the oven so we wrapped them in foil and put them on the grill for about 20 mins, they cooked up great and browned! I’ve never made anything from your site that isn’t delicious! Thank you so much Susan :-)

38 Donna little June 9, 2014 at 9:18 am

I was dreading a trip to the store today and saw this burger pop up on my news feed. I have everything on hand other than…… Black eyed peas. I do however have a bag of mixed beans (15 bean soup kind of thing) and some of them are soaking. Sooooo, I’m going to make these burgers with that and hope for the best. Dinner may be a wonderful surprise or a lesson learned in what not to mix together. Wish us luck!

39 Joanie A June 9, 2014 at 6:57 pm

Wow! Delicious–I made Potato and Green Bean Salad with Lemon-Basil dressing to go along side. What a delightful summer meal. Thanks.

40 Lisa June 9, 2014 at 10:14 pm

I made these tonight, but I substituted black beans for black eyed peas. We cooked them on the grill and they were delicious! A little crispy on the outside and firm on the inside. My favorite home-made veggie burger so far. I’ve also made several of your other recipes and they’ve all been fabulous. Thanks!

41 naya June 11, 2014 at 4:32 pm

ive been toying with becoming vegan for awhile. just watched a news vid of cows dairy cows in horrific abusive treatment. that sealed the deal. thanks for the start up of great recipes.

42 Valerie June 11, 2014 at 4:42 pm

After reading recent reports of how bad Boca and all the other frozen patties actually are, I’d like to try making these. Has anyone made them in advance and then frozen them? We are family on the run with two littles, and its very convenient to just grab them and heat them up for a quick dinner:-)

43 Loraine June 12, 2014 at 1:40 pm

I always double the recipes and make my husbands burgers a little bigger. He won’t eat 2 burgers (always watching his intake) but he will eat one bigger one if that is what I make him. I freeze the rest for another night or for a cookout at friends house. Never had any problems freezing them.

44 LindaV June 13, 2014 at 12:07 am

I always freeze my homemade veggie burgers. I put them on a cookie sheet to freeze, then put them in a ziplock baggie with those little pre-cut squares of waxed paper in between them. Better than store bought and just as handy! You can get the waxed paper squares on Amazon – a box of 250 is about $10.

45 Valerie June 13, 2014 at 9:42 am

Do you cook them before you freeze them?

46 Sarah June 16, 2014 at 6:15 am

Thank you for the recipe! I made these burgers with home fries, corn on the cobb and broccoli yesterday for Father’s Day. My carnivore parents were over for lunch and they approved :) The burgers baked nicely and were very flavorful.

47 prachi June 17, 2014 at 9:43 am

I love black eyed peas.I was searching for some recipes and came across your site.
This is such an easy and flavorful recipe .I’ll give it a try soon

48 Jeff @ Cheese-burger.net June 19, 2014 at 4:53 am

I was surprised by how fast it was to prepare this veggie burger. I added relish on mine.

49 Lesli June 19, 2014 at 10:20 am

Susan:
I made these last week and they are really fabulous! I used a smoky BBQ sauce and got a real good depth of flavor. I agree, they don’t taste like black eyed peas at all. They have a great texture, and even pair well broken up in a salad or in tacos.

Thanks and keep em coming!! Love your recipes!!
Lesli

50 Tami@NutmegNotebook June 25, 2014 at 10:48 am

Another winning recipe! They are a big hit at my house – so easy, moist and full flavored!

51 Sally July 2, 2014 at 9:00 am

I have now made this recipe 3 times. In keeping with Susan’s post on using something besides garbanzas in hummus … one time I used red beans (those big red ones) pretty much otherwise as Susan wrote it. I used dry beans which I had sprouted and cooked, so I had alot of beans and made extra since Susan said it freezes well – OK I didn’t freeze it. We had “bean loaf” made from the leftovers. Very good. I didn’t do much but throw it in a loaf pan, top with some catsup and a couple of bell pepper rings. Then, because I thought I was going to make hummus … I had some garbanzas that I soaked and sprouted and they became burgers. Biggest change I made with the garbanzas was to add a mess of fresh flat parsley because …. :))) Have you seen those gourmet burgers (you know – the ones made with non-vegan ingredients) at the grocery stores that have parsley or whatever in them?

52 Rebecca Finch July 8, 2014 at 2:31 pm

I’m making my third batch of these today. I double the recipe because my husband likes them so much. I did make a change to the ingredients, adding two tablespoons of chili-garlic sauce to bump up the heat. We eat them on whole wheat toast with a slice of onion and tomato, some lettuce and some pickles (and one or another vegan mayonnaise recipe). My next recipe to try will be the frankfurters you served on July 4. As we are using the Ornish Heart Reversal program, your recipes can absolutely be characterized as lifesaving. Thanks for all you do.

53 nicole July 8, 2014 at 9:42 pm

Hi Susan, I was just wondering, could I use brown rice in place of the oats/bread crumbs?

54 Susan Voisin July 8, 2014 at 9:52 pm

Cooked rice will probably work, but they may turn out a little more crumbly and on the wet side.

55 Stacy July 15, 2014 at 2:57 pm

I AM IN LOVE!!! Thank you so very much for this great recipe. I was a little apprehensive as to whether I prepped them right, because I added the oats to the processor and the batter was still rather sticky..so I added more oats once I put it in a bowl, just to play it safe. Even though the batch was still sticky, they cooked up WONDERFULLY!!!

Question: Can I freeze them once they are cooked or should I freeze beforehand?

Again, thanks and NO MORE STORE BOUGHT VEGGIE burgers for me!!!!

56 Reggie July 15, 2014 at 5:16 pm

I made these this weekend. I love them. I am continuing to eat them for lunch and they are holding up deliciously. Mine are well seasoned by the yummy BBQ sauce I had on hand, the same sauce I used to use on meatloaf. My sandwiches taste like my meatloaf sandwiches of old. Love them! I will be putting this recipe in my favorites pile. Thanks so much, both you and your family.

57 Reggie July 15, 2014 at 5:19 pm

Oh, I put my oats in the processor for a few seconds. I like the finer texture. It worked for me.

58 Anne E. McGuigan August 7, 2014 at 7:33 am

I made these burgers for supper last nite. I did not have any BBQ Sauce, so I used ketchup. They were delicious! Thank you!
Anne http://vegangrammie.com/

59 Janna August 16, 2014 at 3:48 pm

This recipe looks great! Do you use quick oats or old fashioned oats, or does it not matter? Thanks!

60 Susan Voisin August 16, 2014 at 4:19 pm

I used old fashioned oats but I’m sure quick would also work.