I had a sudden craving for baba ghanoush, but it was much too late to roast an eggplant. So I decided on an unorthodox method of cooking it, in the pressure cooker. Within about 5 minutes, I had completely cooked eggplant and also a problem: The eggplant was hot, and whoever heard of eating hot baba ghanoush? I needed to add something to cool it off, so midway through I decided to combine my Baba Ghanouj recipe with my basic hummus recipe, and the result was . . . great! Even E., who doesn’t like baba ghanoush, liked it. Apparently, hummus with eggplant in it is acceptable even to eggplant-haters. Who knew?
Since roasting gives eggplant a lot of flavor, I suggest roasting or grilling it if you have the time. If you cook your eggplant in a less flavorful way like I did, you may want to add a little smoked paprika to give it a hint of smoky flavor.
Almost-Instant Hummus Ghanoush
- 1 large eggplant, peeled and cut into 4 quarters lengthwise
- 2-4 cloves garlic
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas (1 1/2 cups)
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- sumac, for garnish
- To cook the eggplant in the pressure cooker, put the peeled, quartered eggplant in a steamer basket, place it in the cooker, and add just enough hot water to cover the bottom of the cooker but not so much that it touches the eggplant (about a cup or two). Seal the cooker, bring to high pressure, and cook for 2 minutes after it reaches high pressure. Use a quick-release method to reduce the pressure. (Follow the instructions here to cook the eggplant in the oven.)
- Drop the garlic into a running food processor to chop it. Add the eggplant, and process until it is almost smooth. Add the remaining ingredients, and process until smooth. Check the seasonings, and add more as necessary. (If the eggplant seems bitter, a pinch or two of sugar helps.) Serve sprinkled with sumac.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 5 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 8
Nutrition (per serving): 113 calories, 29 calories from fat, 3.5g total fat, 0mg cholesterol, 455.4mg sodium, 263.5mg potassium, 17.7g carbohydrates, 4.9g fiber, 1.5g sugar, 4.3g protein, 3.3 points.
133 445 6 3