Light yet spicy, this lime and cumin-infused coleslaw is the perfect accompaniment to burritos, tacos, enchiladas or pupusas.
I like odd coleslaws, and this one is odd but delicious. Light yet spicy, this lime and cumin-infused salad is the perfect accompaniment to burritos, tacos, enchiladas, or pupusas. In fact, it’s similar to curtido, the cabbage salad that traditionally accompanies pupusas.
And it’s easy, ridiculously easy if you use store-bought salsa verde. Plus you can make it as hot or as mild as you like simply by choosing the fieriness of your salsa and chile peppers. I used a very mild salsa verde and then spiced things up by slicing up, seeds and all, my very hot homegrown serrano peppers and throwing them in.
I left the hot peppers out of my daughter’s portion, but she still wasn’t a fan. She prefers her coleslaw creamy, so if you’re also a traditionalist, you will probably want to skip this recipe and go straight for my Basic Low-Fat Coleslaw. But if you want to take a break from the traditional, give this odd little coleslaw a try.
Ridiculously Easy Southwestern Coleslaw
Chile peppers, lime juice, and cumin give this low-fat coleslaw its spicy, Southwestern flavor.
- Remove and discard the core of the cabbage, and cut cabbage in half. Use a food processor fitted with a shredding disk to shred the cabbage and carrots. Place in a serving bowl along with the sliced chile pepper.
- Whisk all remaining ingredients together until smooth. (If you’re using silken tofu, you may need to blend it in a small blender or food processor.) Add the dressing to the cabbage and mix well. Add salt to taste. Cover and allow to marinate in the refrigerator for at least an hour. Check seasonings before serving and add more salsa, lime juice, cumin, or salt if necessary.
One serving is zero points on Weight Watchers Freestyle.
More Interesting Coleslaw Recipes
- Spicy Grapefruit Coleslaw
- Creamy Herbed Coleslaw with Grape Tomatoes
- Sesame-Orange Coleslaw
- Curtido from In My Box
- Asian Style Coleslaw Recipe with Peanut Butter Dressing from Gluten-Free Goddess
- Mango & Carrot Coleslaw from vegelicious recipes