Eat the Rainbow Black Bean Soup

by on October 18, 2011

Eat the Rainbow Black Bean Soup

Well, after three weeks of posting other people’s recipes, I’m back with one of my own. It was a lot of fun cooking dishes that had already gone through the testing process and learning more about cooking in general (and slow-cooking in particular) from three expert cooks. In the process of posting the reviews and reading your feedback, I learned some very surprising things, not just of the cooking variety (like baby limas taste great in guacamole–who knew?!), but about you, the readers of this blog.

My last review, of Colleen Patrick-Goudreau’s The 30-Day Vegan Challenge, was especially enlightening because I had no idea that so many near-vegans, non-vegans, and not-even-close-to-vegans were reading my blog. I’m thrilled to have you here! Wherever you are in your eating choices, whether you feel you’re on a path toward veganism or are simply trying to eat fewer animal products, I’m glad you’re interested in vegan cooking and I’m happy that you’ve chosen to get your recipes from this site. It makes me think I should do some “Vegan 101“-type posts. Anyone interested? (I’m considering one called “WTF is Nutritional Yeast?” which is a comment I received on Facebook recently.)

On to the recipe: Fall is finally starting to arrive here in the South, or maybe it’s just the idea of fall that comes when you look at October on your calendar and see in your mind’s eye yellow leaves whirling in a chilly breeze and, if your mind’s eye somehow has the sense of smell, the distant aroma of chimney smoke. Though in real life there’s been none of that here in Mississippi (the first truly chilly temps are supposed to arrive tonight), I’ve been content to imagine that it’s fall and to eat accordingly. Suddenly the huge salads I’d been eating for lunch are just not appetizing, and though it could be 85 degrees at noon, I’ve been drawn toward soups. With this soup, I’ve tried to combine the best of both worlds–all the fresh vegetables of a salad with the warmth and comfort of a bowl of soup. I’ve even added chopped lettuce at the end so that it’s close to salad in a soup. It’s a great one-pot meal (if you eat two bowls of it) that contains the colors of fall.

Black Bean and Vegetable Soup

1 Suzi October 18, 2011 at 11:32 am

Beautiful soup! Black Bean soups are my favourites, and I’ve cooked dozens of variations, no exaggeration. :)

2 Nicole October 18, 2011 at 11:45 am

That’s funny you mention WTF is nutritional yeast because I just bought some and was wondering the same thing! :) I think Vegan 101 would be great!

3 Nicole October 18, 2011 at 11:51 am

You can totally count me in on Vegan 101!!
I found out what nutritional yeast was once……lol Couldn’t tell you what it was that I put it in, but I know I still have a big ol container of it in with the rest of my spices!
I’ve recently started “Meatless Mondays” in my house of omnivores….as an opener to healthy eating. (again….) I fail alot. But I get up and try again!

4 Katie L. October 18, 2011 at 11:54 am

Education is always great. I like the idea of Vegan 101. I would love this refresher about ingredients and cooking techniques. I’m sure there is lots I could still learn. Also, thank you for posting multiple ways of cooking a recipe–stovetop, pressure cooker, slow cooker. Keeps me from guessing when I need the flexibility in my life.

5 Rebecca R. October 18, 2011 at 12:17 pm

I’d love to see a vegan 101 post! I’m vegan at home and vegetarian everywhere else but I’d love to have some info/tips from a more seasoned vegan!

6 Mia J October 18, 2011 at 12:19 pm

Yaaay! Another soup recipe! I cook a big batch of veggie soup every week, and I’ve tried quite a few from your site, all delicious… your North African Chickpea and Kale and Rustic Red Kale and White Bean Soup are my favorite! I’ll be cooking this black bean soup for next week for sure. Being a close-to-vegan, I’d love some vegan 101.. the more I learn the more I am converted :)

7 Kirsten October 18, 2011 at 1:06 pm

I’ll definitely try this recipe. I never thought of putting lettuce in soup!

I’m curious about what YOU do with nutritional yeast, because the one and only thing I’ve ever cooked that I found inedible was a mac and “cheese” with nutritional-yeast-based sauce. I think some foods just aren’t meant to be made vegan. I did find NY tasty when sprinkled over vegan pizza.

For your demographic research, I’m ovo-lacto vegatarian, but cook a lot of vegan meals. I usually use dairy more as a condiment.

8 JT October 19, 2011 at 2:28 pm

Then you haven’t tried my vegan Macaroni No Cheese. Blend about 4 cups roasted, chopped butternut or acorn squash with 2-3 T white miso and 2-3 T tahini, plus salt to taste. Pour it over cooked macaroni, toss, and bake at 375 for 30 minutes or so. I top it with fried onions at the end. You can add onions and other veggies too. I like pouring in some frozen peas. Can’t wait for fall every year just so I can make this. YUM.

9 JT October 19, 2011 at 2:29 pm

Should have made clear that’s blend in a blender or food processor, until smooth.

10 Marian Hamilton October 18, 2011 at 1:10 pm

This soup sounds DELISH! I’m glad I saved my cooked black beans (& hadn’t yet used them for one of the other soup recipes you’ve posted) so I can make YOUR soup recipe! Can’t wait to see the greens get soaked up as I serve the soup.

Vegan 101 sounds like a super idea! All I know about nutritional yeast is that it gets added to recipes when you want the taste of cheese, but don’t know anything else about it. BRING IT ON, Susan! You will be a fantastic teacher of all things vegan!

Fall is sorta in the air here in central Calif., but the temps are only down to mid-50s at night….. still making soup tho!! :)

11 Cate October 18, 2011 at 1:28 pm

Yes, please about the nutritional yeast. I’ve been curious what the heck you’re supposed to do with that for quite a while now.

12 carrotstixx October 18, 2011 at 1:32 pm

This soup sounds fantastic…re: “Vegan 101″ sign me up!

13 Val October 18, 2011 at 1:41 pm

The soup looks yummy!!!
I was just thinking the other day that I should make black bean soup soon and here is your post! I’ll have to give your recipe a try, thank you for sharing!

As to the “WTF is Nutritional Yeast?”, I can’t believe someone seriously said ‘WTF’ to you! Wow!.. Good thing you seem to take it in a relaxed way! ;) (It must the the German in me still flinching [even after 11 years of marriage to my American husband] when someone says the F-word like this..)
That being said though, a Vegan 101 sounds great! Make sure to include ‘Nooch’ when you’re at nutritional yeast as it took me quite a while to figure that out when I became veg myself! LOL

14 Karen October 18, 2011 at 2:13 pm

This sounds delicious! I am definitely going to make this tomorrow and it should provide lunches for me all week! I began eating mostly (better than 95%) vegan about two months ago and love all the new recipes I have found, especially from this site! And I love your idea of Vegan 101 posts! I, too, would like to know WTF nutritional yeast is! LOL

15 kasia October 18, 2011 at 2:23 pm

I’d love some back to basics Vegan 101 stuff. I try to be vegetarian now, boyfriend is a meat eater who freaks out at the “fake” ground beef and stuff, and I am already struggling to maintain protein and iron levels so basics would be awesome.

16 Tara October 18, 2011 at 2:24 pm

I just love this blog. I’m not 100% vegan….but eat vegan a lot….more often then not. Love what you write about and your sense of humor. Would love to hear about the post on nutritional yeast. That stuff rocks…..and many people don’t know how awesome it is.

Thanks~
Tara

17 Janet October 18, 2011 at 2:24 pm

Sounds yummy. I love the catchy title. It is funny, sometimes my husband will say, “what is this called”…I’ll have to answer something like “chickpeas and kale”….
Descriptive names are great, but catchy names are fun.

18 Victoria October 18, 2011 at 2:32 pm

The black is my favorite bean!! So rich in flavor. I look forward to trying this recipe. Yes, Vegan 101 sounds wonderful. I have a jar of nutritional yeast, because my vegan son has recommended it and it was an ingredient in a recipe I wanted to try. By the time I got the yeast I had forgotten what I was going to use it for. So, WTF do you do with nutritional yeast, anyway?? ;-) I recently accidentally made Kale chips, then found out from my son that Kale chips is a real thing. I trimmed the leafy part of the kale from the stems into 2-3″ pieces, coated them with EVOO, salt and pepper, and baked them on a cookie sheet @300 for 20-30 min until they were deyhdrated and crispy. OMG, what a fabulous way to eat your green leafies!! They were deeelish!! Kind of labor intensive, though, since they shrink so much.

19 Jodie Rozzell October 18, 2011 at 2:34 pm

Vegan 101 posts would be excellent! I’m not vegan or even vegetarian, but I rarely cook with meat at home. I find it’s just too much trouble for a single person. I really enjoy reading your recipes and would love to learn more about nutritional yeast, TVP, etc.

20 Jenny October 18, 2011 at 2:37 pm

I’m an already-vegan reader, but I am not at all surprised that you have such a diverse audience. Even though the title of the blog sounds very niche, yours are actually my go-to recipes when I cook for omnivores. Your lasagna, pinto bean chili, easy vegetable soup, Ethiopian red lentil soup, and others have all been well received several times over. I think it’s because you strike a perfect balance between the new and the familiar. And you are so respectful of everyone’s food choices. So this is just to say thanks for being awesome :) Looking forward to trying this new soup, too!

21 Kathy October 18, 2011 at 2:49 pm

I think Vegan 101 would be great! There is always something coming up that I have no idea what to do with. Where do I sign up? =)

22 Barbara October 18, 2011 at 2:53 pm

Wow! This is a beautiful photo of a beautiful soup and I can’t wait to try it. I live in northern CA and we’ve had one day of rain in months and our temps are still in the 80s for this week, anyway. I’ve been harvesting, canning, and freezing since mid August because my 1.2 acres of veggie/flower gardens really liked whatever I did for them this year. I have the first 6 ingredients for the soup in the garden, plus tomatoes and rows and rows of chard and 3 kinds of kale and collards. (Yes, I’m retired.) Re: Vegan 101: we can always use your beans of wisdom. If we know something already, you confirm it. If we don’t know it, we learn! Thanks, Susan for your inspiration.

23 danielle October 18, 2011 at 2:56 pm

I would love vegan 101! And also an option on your website for a “print friendly” page to print out the recipes to add to my collection :)

24 SusanV October 18, 2011 at 4:53 pm

Danielle, almost all of my recipes do have a print-friendly page. If you see one without it, let me know and I will add it.

25 Dennis Smith October 18, 2011 at 2:57 pm

Vegan 101 is a great idea!

26 Christy October 18, 2011 at 3:00 pm

I would love to read a vegan 101

27 Yolanda October 18, 2011 at 3:34 pm

I would like some Vegan 101 sprinkled in with various posts… especially for things that are especially vegan items (nutritional yeast). I’m also with ya in yearning for fall… I am so excited that our South Tx highs will be down in the 80s and our lows will be in the 60s – woo hoo… soup is sounding better and better.

28 Sara October 18, 2011 at 4:03 pm

I’m one of your readers that isn’t even close to vegan. I enjoy your site (and other vegetarian/vegan cookbooks and blogs) because the recipes really make vegetables (and fruit) shine. I also like the low-fat concept. For my non-vegan household, your recipes make great sides, lunches, and (sometimes) meals. I’d be interested in reading some vegan 101 posts, for sure.

29 Cas October 18, 2011 at 4:07 pm

101! Yes please. :)
My son has been a vegetarian for a few months and recently I happened to pick up one of his books, read it and was totally shocked. So of course I became a vegetarian and had been for two weeks and then on Monday we both decided to become vegan. Onto day 3. Thank goodness for the many blogs like yours on the net. I have cooked a couple of very tasty dishes. Last night I cooked a lasagne with tofu that the whole family enjoyed.

Anyway, nutritional yeast, I finally found someone in Oz that supplies it, ordered it on line, it arrived last week and immediately I thought WTF…fish food! LOL As a beginner to vegan eating I would love a 101. Thanks for all of your fabulous recipes.
Cheers,
Cas

30 Yadsia @ShopCookMake October 18, 2011 at 4:11 pm

I’m a vegetarian struggling to go Vegan (I love Eggs). I’d love to read some Vegan 101 posts from you!

31 Erin October 18, 2011 at 4:48 pm

That sounds fantastic… I was feeling like making a home made slow cooking soup this week……. and this is the one! Thanks. : )

32 Jennifer October 18, 2011 at 4:58 pm

I like the idea of a Vegan 101, expecially since many people’s fear of vegan is that they think they cannot get complete protein and nutrition without eating meat. I doubt I’ll ever convince my husband to go vegan and I’m not sure I’ll be able to give up my dairy myself, but I am trying to lean in that direction since vegan is definitely the direction to go, from a health and sustainability (and some would argue moral) standpoint. Most people don’t even realize that food CAN be good without animal products. For instance, my first revelation was that you can bake a cake without eggs! Who knew?

33 Adrienne October 18, 2011 at 5:02 pm

I would LOVE some vegan 101 posts! We are new to the lifestyle/diet, and trying to find our way. I do like everything I’ve tried this far…the yellow split pita soup is on tap for dinner. I also enjoy hearing about your daughter’s reactions to foods. We got into a vegan diet wanting to be as healthy as we could for our children, and to leave them as healthy an earth as we could, but they are somewhat reluctant participants in the endeavor!

34 urbanvegan October 18, 2011 at 6:36 pm

This looks so comforting. Congrats on your Veg News award! You deserve it!

35 Amy October 18, 2011 at 7:10 pm

While I’m not vegan, nutritional yeast is the BEST thing I’ve gotten from reading vegan blogs! It is certainly a kitchen staple now with it’s own space among alternative grains and other goodies I buy in bulk and became more familiar with through reading vegan blogs. (Avocado-Chocolate pudding is another wonderful concept I picked up from vegan blogs – especially great with lower fat, less strongly flavored FL Avocados, and a neighbor with a tree of them!). Chia seeds, homemade nut/soy milks, and sea weeds are other wonderful newish kitchen staples/ideas gleaned from reading vegan blogs.

36 judy detty October 18, 2011 at 7:11 pm

Dear Susan, I also want to know what NUTRITIONAL YEAST is also. I was at the store yesterday and was looking to buy some, but there were several types : dry baking , active , etc .none had the word nutritional on it so I did not buy any ?? I went to your face book site and went thru several comments but did not find the one that askes that question. so help. thanks

37 SusanV October 18, 2011 at 7:18 pm

Judy, nutritional yeast is different from active dry and baking yeasts, which are used in small amounts to make bread rise. Nutritional yeast is used for it’s cheesy/savory flavor and doesn’t make things rise. It’s usually sold in yellow flakes–someone above said it looks like fish food–and you probably won’t be able to find it in a regular grocery store unless it stocks a large selection of natural foods. Go to a natural food store and ask someone there for Red Star or Vegetarian Support Formula nutritional yeast. Those names ensure that you’re getting the right product, one that supplies vitamin B12, an important nutrient especially if you’re vegan or over 50.

38 Torry Beaven October 18, 2011 at 7:22 pm

We are also lacto-ovo vegetarian, but are incorporating more vegan meals into our lifestyle. While the push for the rest of the country is to go vegetarian one night a week, we are doing vegan one night a week. Perhaps more as we find yummy recipes! Thanks for your blog. We love it!

39 Paula October 18, 2011 at 7:46 pm

I am so grateful that you have this site. I love the recipes and although I am not 100% vegan. I am more like a vegetarian who strives to be vegan. Your baked oatmeal recipe is one I come back to over and over. I usually cut mine into bars and bring to work. I would love to see more quick recipes for those work nights.

40 moonwatcher October 18, 2011 at 8:06 pm

Susan,

This sounds absolutely awesome, and love the title. I am making this as soon as I have eaten the other things I’ve made and have all the ingredients. Black beans are about the perfect food for me.

Thanks–

xo

ps I laughed out loud at the question about nutritional yeast! I think your Vegan 101 posts are a great idea.

41 Hayley October 18, 2011 at 10:09 pm

Made the black bean soup for dinner tonight- yummy! I actually had 95% of the ingredients at home and needing to be used – including 1/4 a head of red cabbage- which I thought was a perfect sign to make this recipe tonight. I put 1/4 of an avocado on top and added turmeric. So delicious! I will be making this again for sure! A great way to use up vegetables.

Cheers!

42 Jennifer (Delicieux) October 18, 2011 at 10:09 pm

I LOVE the name of this recipe – eat the rainbow!!! Your soup looks fantastic, and so comforting. I love all those colours.

43 Kell October 18, 2011 at 10:40 pm

I’m an omnivore who loves your site. I’m always sharing things I learn with my vegetarian friends. Funny thing is I just told one yesterday about nutritional yeast. She didn’t know it before.

44 moonwatcher October 18, 2011 at 10:49 pm

PS: By the way, I laughed out loud at that question about nutritional yeast in self-recognition. That would have been ME, or some facsimile of me, years and years ago. When I first saw it in a recipe I had no idea what it was. Only I didn’t ask. I just wondered. . .and wondered. . . until, oh, about 7 years ago. So it was great to see someone asking, in a way that emphasized the mystification and made me laugh. :)

45 Maryna October 19, 2011 at 1:38 am

I love the idea of Vegan-101 posts, because I too said WTF is nutritional yeast. Living in South Africa makes it even more confusing because we have different names for almost everything!
My daughter (15) is the vegetarian and wanted to go vegan, which is when I discovered your site. She’s not completely vegan yet, but we use a lot of the recipies. Soon everyone will be vegetarian (baby steps) and then who knows, vegan!
We’re in summer now (yesterday was 28 degrees C) so will have to keep the soup recipe for next winter.

46 Ali October 19, 2011 at 4:54 am

The soup looks so delicious, really love the photos. sign me up for ‘vegan 101′

47 Wendy (Healthy Girl) October 19, 2011 at 5:21 am

Susan, can you see my smile from ear to ear? That’s how much I am loving your WTF is . . . idea. Absolutely necessary and absolutely HILARIOUS. I know I am not supposed to curse according to the higher moral authority, but I do it all the time and don’t really want to stop. Someone needs to lock me up.

48 Arin October 19, 2011 at 5:29 am

I think “Vegan 101″ would be a great idea! I am a fairly new vegetarian, 1 year in :0) but I have been trying to make mote vegan recipes and buy more vegan things, it’s really hard, alot of times I buy something thinking it’s vegan and I get home and it’s not :0( some days I will stand in the store and google on my phone trying to figure out if something is vegan or I just buy things that have vegan right on the package. So any tips and info I can get would be a great help :0)
And yea WTF is nutritional yeast and what do with it :0)
BTW I love your site. I really enjoy reading it and trying different recipes :0)
Any tips on how to trick my family of meat eaters to eat more meatless meals :0) my hubby always says the stuff I cook smells good but I cannot get him to try it :0(

49 Cindy October 19, 2011 at 6:50 am

Can’t wait to try your new recipe! Have a friend coming over to scrapbook on Sunday so I think this, along with some homemade croutons, will be our lunch. Wanted to also say I love the idea of “Vegan 101″ and learning more about nutritional yeast. The only time I’ve tried it was in your fabulous zucchini basil soup (which we simply devoured for a late-summer dinner one night!) but other than that I’m a n-yeast novice. Would love to find out more about it and more ways to use it as it sounds beneficial to incorporate in a vegan diet. Thanks for your new recipe, and also the feature you did on Colleen Patrick Groudeau’s new book. Even though I left a comment on your post I ran over to our local bookstore and purchased it that same day, figured if I’d won I’d give my extra copy to a good friend. What a fantastic read and truly inspirational! :)

50 Katie October 19, 2011 at 8:04 am

I would definitely be interested in some Vegan 101 postings!

51 Shoreline October 19, 2011 at 9:39 am

Hi Susan, We’re a family of 4 who eat plenty of vegan/vegetarian foods but are not vegans/vegetarians (purpose – healthier food with less impact on environment). Frankly, anyone asking ‘wtf is nutritional yeast’ is either saying they don’t know how to use google or is trying to incite a response. However, we’d love to see a series of articles going through basics – not to learn about basics, because I think we’ve been there – but to really go through them in depth, in the same way a famous chef (that would be you!) might cover ‘why chopping food to the proper size is important.’ In other words to go over the basics in an exceptionally learned way so that everybody gets something out of it. Thanks for blogging!

52 GetSkinnyGoVegan October 19, 2011 at 11:02 am

It’s beautiful! ‘Tis the season for beans! If you have beans in your pantry, you are SET!

53 Kimberly October 19, 2011 at 11:33 am

Can’t wait to try this soup in the next few days! Looks great for fall.

54 Lindsey October 19, 2011 at 11:47 am

I would love to read some Vegan 101 posts! I just found your blog, and while I am not a vegan quite yet, I am working towards that. I would love to learn more!

55 Erika October 19, 2011 at 3:30 pm

as always your recipes look so delicious! Cant wait to make it! Thx for posting!

56 Kim October 19, 2011 at 3:55 pm

I need some vegan 101!

57 beth October 19, 2011 at 11:41 pm

PLEASE do a vegan 101 class! How fun!! : )

58 AikoVenus October 20, 2011 at 8:06 am

It’s so beautiful! There’s nothing better than “eating the rainbow”. ^^

59 Sn October 20, 2011 at 9:44 am

Please do vegan 101. Wtf is NY should be first! I love your site!

60 moonwatcher October 20, 2011 at 11:15 am

Hi again Susan,

Well, I couldn’t wait any longer to make this, even though I didn’t have exactly everything on the ingredient list–that can of black beans in my pantry started to jiggle and say, “put me in that soup right now!” Well, not really. But I really wanted to make it because I feel so much better when I eat black beans. I didn’t have mushrooms, or two cans of beans, so I pretty much halved the recipe, and used a fresh ear of corn and some cubed up butternut squash I had to use up, along with the other ingredients. It changed the shades of the rainbow slightly, but worked fine. Scraped regular chili powder and ancho chili powder together for enough chili. Roasted and ground the cumin. I sauted everything, added the spices to that mixture, and then put it all in the slow cooker, my new fascination. Boy, did it smell good all day! This is a really wonderful soup, Susan. So healthy and delicious. I added the rest of a package of baby arugula I had for the lettuce. And cooked up a little quinoa and put a scoop of that in my soup bowl. Looking forward to my leftovers!!

Thanks so much,

xoxo

61 Sherri Montgomery October 20, 2011 at 8:05 pm

“WTF is nutritional yeast”

This cracked me up, but I can totally recall being asked this on more than one occasion. The funniest is that my wife said about that to me and at first was totally anti-nutritional-yeast (“eeeeew” was about her response, after the “WTF”). Now she liberally coats popcorn with it, puts it in soup, and shakes it on her scrambles!

62 Lex October 21, 2011 at 12:13 am

the broth looks so rich, practically like blood!

63 Dyan October 21, 2011 at 9:11 pm

This soup is amazing. I added twice the tomatoes and some cooking liquid from a few dried chiles (a la your pinto bean chili), but otherwise this is the closest I’ve stuck to a recipe in ages. I’m glad I did, as the spices and flavors from the vegetables were perfect. I can see it working well with most any vegetable I need to use up. Thanks, as usual!

64 Bali Cooking class October 22, 2011 at 7:13 am

We combined Black bean with young papaya fruit as our famous soup in Bali, fantastic taste…..

thnks

65 Weisserose October 22, 2011 at 10:48 am

…Yes, please, Vegan 101. Not a vegan household here – we eat vegetarian/vegan a lot because we just love it. Cooking vegetarian/vegan is so challenging – to me anyway! :-)
Your Stormy Black Bean Soup is one of our “basic” soups. The Rainbow Black Bean Soup will be next…
Greetings from Germany :-)

66 Michelle October 22, 2011 at 3:49 pm

I have never had lettuce in soup before. This looks really good- I will have to try it. Thanks for a great recipe :-)

67 Marisa October 23, 2011 at 4:13 pm

Susan I just wanted to thank you SO much for your blog! I am a college student in my first apartment and a new vegan. Your blog has been SO HELPFUL! I have been eating healthfully and deliciously thanks to you! Can’t wait to finish my homework and start making this soup! All the best.

68 Marisa October 23, 2011 at 4:14 pm

Forgot to mention also eating compassionately!!!

69 Melissa October 23, 2011 at 4:56 pm

Just FYI, your blog has been a life saver. I am following the Eat to Live/McDougall “lifestyle” and I have found your receipes brilliant as well as the lay out of your blog. It’s attractive and easy to navigate compared to other vegan sites. Keep it Up! This soup looks fab and I can’t wait to try it!

70 Kristi Rimkus October 23, 2011 at 9:51 pm

I love making soups like this. They freeze so well for lunch during the week, and still keep their hearty flavors.

71 Elaine October 24, 2011 at 10:01 pm

Hi Susan

I’m a trying-to-be-vegan. I’m glad you invited vegan 101 questions. Mine is: What would you suggest for the vegan pantry? I understand, it’s a big question. It’s just that, I’m only getting started and I always find myself always having to run out for something (I understand if it’s fresh veggies) but there’s also things like spices, dried beans, whole grains, etc, that maybe I should have on hand.

Love, love, love your recipes. A few have become staples in my house, even beloved by my omni (and not planning to change) husband. What do YOU keep in your pantry?

Thanks,
Elaine

72 greene88 October 24, 2011 at 10:15 pm

Looks delish! Recently started the eat to live plan so I am a sudden vegan and therefore hooked to your blog. A 101 would be great. Along the same lines, what do you use to saute when oil is off limits? Thanks!

73 Leotis October 25, 2011 at 7:11 am

This soup was good. Without thinking I added cornstarch/water to thicken it and it still came out alright. Forgive me this was my first attempt at it. But I think this is going to be an awesome soup/stew.

74 Diane October 26, 2011 at 11:52 am

I made this soup and I must say it was way to bland for me. Just not enough depth of flavor and couldn’t taste the spices. I loved the ingrdients, so I added more cumin, and more chili powder and some balsamic vinegar to cut down the acid and to add some depth to the flavor. I also added salt. It turned out fantastic, to our taste, anyway. We ate it for nights, as it lasts a long time and it is just great. It couldn’t be healthier. All tastes are different and I find since we quit cooking with animal products and by products, I need to up the spices alot to give my food the kind of flavor we seem to like. It is a keeper.

75 Yolanda October 26, 2011 at 4:19 pm

I made the Eat the Rainbow Black Bean Soup – very good. I added 1 cup of frozen corn and because I did not have chipotle chile powder or smoked paprika – I added about an ounce of shaved dark chocolate (88%). It was well received. Thanks.

76 kellee October 26, 2011 at 4:56 pm

I just made the ‘eat-the-rainbow black bean soup’ and it was absolutely delicious! I love all the vegetables and spices in it. Thank you so much!

77 Janers5 October 26, 2011 at 7:39 pm

Just found your site and I am enthralled! I literally want to make everything I see! This post is especially funny because I just was explaining to a coworker what nutritional yeast was and how delicious it could be! ( She thought it was just a health food item that smelled of feet!) Thank you so much for all your recipes, cant wait to try one of your delectable looking soups for dinner tonight! As a gluten free vegan I havent been so excited about a blog in awhile!!!

78 MeredithMorgan October 30, 2011 at 6:34 pm

Susan, I love your blog and always recommend it to my veg-curious friends. This soup was delicious! Great way of getting the awesome nutrients of purple cabbage. Not a regular on our menu, but it should be. Plus I used some of the last veggies from my own garden! My husband and I loved it.

79 Jan Shannon November 9, 2011 at 5:28 pm

Wonderful soup! I have made it twice, it is very satisfing and hearty. This will be a staple soup for me!

80 NikiZ November 10, 2011 at 6:15 pm

I was just searching recipe online tht if i could make anything out of cabbage & beans mixing it together & i came across dis…thnk u so much for it..it came out simple,healthy & tasty!!! :)

81 Audrey November 10, 2011 at 8:34 pm

Thank youuuuuuu in advance for any vegan 101 posts. I am one of the “not near but on the path to veganism” readers and sometimes I’m scared to ask obvious questions like the person on your Facebook did. This would be so wonderful!!

82 Shelbey November 14, 2011 at 2:33 pm

Ever since I found your blog, your recipes have been a staple in my house. I love cooking healthy and would also enjoy vegan 101 tips.
This black bean soup is one of my favorite. The one thing I’d add is to watch your arms near the pressure cooker while sauteing. I burned my arm BAD the other day :/. But, even the burn won’t turn stop me from using one of my favorite kitchen accessories. .. I just love using my pressure cooker!!!!!
Thank you so much for your healthy, delicious recipes. If I had kids I would make my entire family eat like yours. You’re an inspiration.
Thanks again,
Shelbey

83 Diana J November 19, 2011 at 6:46 pm

Getting back on the Eat to Live plan after a bender involving cookies and some other processed foods, this soup was exactly what I needed. I replaced the fresh jalapeno and the chipotle powder with a couple of chopped chipotle (in adobo) peppers. That added some nice heat and smokiness. I also used fire-roasted diced tomatoes, which contributed even more depth to the flavor. This is a real winner, and I look forward to enjoying a few more meals from this batch. It really makes a good amount, which I love.

84 Linda November 27, 2011 at 7:21 pm

Made this antioxidant, flavor bomb for dinner tonight. Nice redemption for a holiday weekend of overindulgence. We LOVE it!

85 dulceneves November 30, 2011 at 6:29 am

Uau! In my very Mediterranean mind, it was impossible to accept any cooking without olive oil… I stand corrected!
This soup is absolutely delicious. Thanks

86 Jim December 6, 2011 at 8:53 am

Eat The Rainbow was my first recipe from your site and it was amazing. Absolutely loved it. Perfect spice and amazing blend of flavors.

87 Susan Voisin December 6, 2011 at 9:05 am

I’m so glad to hear that! I hope you’ll be trying more!

88 ARS January 9, 2012 at 7:42 pm

I made this soup last night and felt that the 1 tbsp of chili powder was overpowering. It completely covers up the other spices and the taste of the vegetables. Next time, I will reduce that amount by half or more.

89 Alisha Sauer January 20, 2012 at 10:17 am

I’d love to read any Vegan 101 type posts you would write! I’m trying to eat less meat, and serve vegan meals a few times a month, and your site has been really invaluable to me. It’s my go-to recipe index!

90 Elaine Gibson January 23, 2012 at 7:10 pm

Made the soup. It’s really tasty. The combination of spices generally used for chili made a unique vegetable soup.

91 Laina January 27, 2012 at 5:34 pm

Wow! So love this soup!!! And so easy!!! I only had ¹/² of à small green cabbage so I used some adult Bok Choy with it. Thank you so much for a delightful dîsh!!!

92 Nathan January 30, 2012 at 8:10 pm

I made the crockpot version of this today and was so happy with the results! I added a head of red lettuce before serving. I live alone, and usually freeze soups, has anyone tried to freeze this? I’ve never made a soup with lettuce, and not sure how that will work.

Any tips?

93 Esther J April 17, 2012 at 8:47 pm

First, let me say…lettuce in salad? Never had it, never heard of it, but cups of red leaf worked nicely for me in this very tasty soup this evening.

A few adjustments based on suggestions from other commenters: I added 1 T of cocoa powder and also some cornstarch to thicken it a bit. It was served with corn tortillas (w guac) and spicy sweet potato fries.

All bellies involved were well satisfied.

Thanks yet again, Mrs. Voisin!

E

94 Esther J April 17, 2012 at 9:09 pm

I forgot to mention that I added quite a bit of cilantro at the end with the lettuce. Yummy!

95 Esther J April 18, 2012 at 11:58 am

‘just realized (as I’m eating of my lunch of “lettuce in salad”) that I had a little brain hiccup in my original post. Of course, it should’ve read “lettuce in *soup*”. ;-)

96 Radhika Sarohia August 28, 2012 at 2:56 am

Just bought some black beans earlier today, I will be making this soup soon, the green pea soup from here turned out great

97 Donna August 30, 2012 at 9:57 pm

I made this black bean soup for dinner tonight. Delicious! I can’t wait to try more of your recipes.

98 Dawn October 22, 2012 at 9:06 am

I’m a near vegan (I’ve been calling myself a “home vegan”) who loves your website! I also recommend it to any non-vegans who will listen, especially for your impressive low-fat baking recipes.

99 Pucca Love October 24, 2012 at 1:42 pm

This was soooo so delicious !!! My husband wants me to make it more often !! The I used water instead of broth and omitted the jalapeno so my daughter would be able to eat it…she tried alright ! but because my husband insisted that I put 1tbsp of chipotle powder… the soup ended up sooo spicy HOT ! I had to make my daughter a different meal…She liked the flavor a lot though..I promised I would make another one really soon with not spicy stuff at all…haha…the poor thing..she was really looking forward to her beans soup !! It was FANTASTIC !! I had 2 servings so did my husband…I didn’t realize it would get so spicy ! Lesson learned !\ haha

Thank you so much for the recipe ! It’s a favorite !

100 Odin January 25, 2013 at 12:30 am

We loved this recipe! Even the non-vegans that came over tonight were oohing and awing over it!

I did add fire roasted tomatoes and both 1/2 tsp of chipotle chili poweder and 1/2 tsp smoke paprika to ensure I got a smokey taste that the brings the meat eaters over to the other side.

Also, we get a weekly box of produce so substituted the red cabbage with Bok Choy I was worried was going to go bad. I’ll be making this dish often when my husband’s guys friends come over to jam.

101 Melinda January 26, 2013 at 2:15 pm

Wonderful, satisfying soup! I used rainbow chard to enhance color and added fire roasted corn which sweetened it just a touch. My partner gobbled up two huge bowls and we swore to make it often this winter. I also added cilantro stems to cooking and chopped leaves on top. Thanks for the recipe and inspiration!

102 em January 29, 2013 at 7:22 am

I LOVE this soup!!!!!! I will be making it again and again. I see that it makes 8 servings and so was wondering how much a serving was- since we had some it is hard to figure it from our leftovers. I was not sure if it was a cup or 2 or somewhere in between. Thanks for answering that question- it is just that I am back to tracking my food a bit to see where I am at.

103 Joe April 18, 2013 at 12:32 pm

a fat free vegan here, and I’ve recently discovered your blog in the past month or so. Great recipes, this weekend I made your roasted asparagus,chickpeas and potato salad to go with two other bean salads . It was tasty, easy to make and my wife and I enjoyed it. Thanks, I’ve muddled through many blogs and sites that purport to be both vegan and fat free. You get it.

104 Karen October 2, 2013 at 10:03 am

Last night I was tired, hungry, and the meal I had planned was going to take more energy than I could harness. So did a search for vegan one pot meals. This soup was on the top of the list and we had most of the ingredients on hand. Only had green cabbage not red and no spinach or lettuce. Added a chopped zucchini. My husband and I each had big bowl for supper and he took some for his lunch. Quick, easy, tasty, and will be added to my growing collection of your wonderful recipes for future soup nights. thank-you

105 deb October 16, 2013 at 6:41 pm

This is great soup–filling and nutritious. Enjoy.

106 Gerda January 14, 2014 at 3:04 pm

This is now my go-to site when I have any problems with a dish. We’ve only been fat-free vegans for about 9 month, mostly for my husband to help reverse his heart disease and it has made a ton of difference. No more chest pains for him at all and he lost 55 lbs., while I only lost 23 lbs. That’s mainly because I cheat, I have a hard time giving up my butter. Any good advice would be appreciated.
A few days ago I made an absolutely easy and delicious split pea soup. Definitely a keeper. Here it is:
Split Pea soup Makes about 2 quarts. very good!!!
2 c. dry split peas 2 qts. vegetable broth
1 c. chopped celery ¼ c. + chopped onions
½ c. diced carrots 1 bay leaf
¼ t. thyme salt and pepper to taste

Wash and sort peas carefully. Add broth. Bring to boiling, simmer 2 minutes. Remove from heat, cover and let stand for 1 hour. Add vegetables, bay leaf and thyme; heat to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 2 ½ to 3 hours or until peas are soft. If desired, put soup through food mill, blender or sieve. I did not!
Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Hope you like it as much as we did.

107 Indigo June 9, 2014 at 10:12 pm

I haven’t even finished the recipe, and my boyfriend loves it! Thank you for this amazing recipe!

108 Kathryn Marmion November 2, 2014 at 3:18 pm

Hi there – and thanks for all the great FB postings. I love your recipes. I also love the way you adapt your recipes for slow cooker as well as oven/stove top methods. As a newby to fat-free cooking/eating (heart event in June was a game-changer) I am anxious to expand my repertoire with some holiday fare. I have never had to do Thanksgiving or Christmas with no added fat/oil so hope that you might point me in the right direction for finding recipes to make. Maybe you’ve posted some over the years? Thanks for all you do.

109 Kathryn Marmion November 2, 2014 at 3:47 pm

Ignore my previous question as I just found your recipe index so I’m sure holidays will not be a challenge now. Thanks!